[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:22:34 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 03, 2024, 01:20:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: This game goes to show how we need at least 1 talented big man  (Read 3651 times)

MUfanatic22

• Walk-On
Re: This game goes to show how we need at least 1 talented big man
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2008, 09:10:42 PM »
I agree that we need a big man that can score at ease and defend without fouling. I hope the big man we have coming in next year will be an overall talented player on both ends of the floor. Our guards should be really good again but our season will depend upon our down low presence. I would also like to say that the Big East Tournament is the best conference in America and this can be shown in the NCAA Tournament. The Big East is 8-2 overall and both teams that lost from our conference lost by one point with a last second shot. Many of the players in the Big East should be returning next year so it should be another fun season next year. Let's just hope Marquette finishes on top. Let's start looking forward to next year and keep in mind around the nation We are Marquette!

MUCHI814

« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:32 PM »
Why didn't anyone attack the Lopez's when they both had 3? At least take one of them out of the game

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2008, 09:11:46 PM »
You guys are funny...Kevin Love couldn't stop either of these guys either and they are perhaps the best team in America.

I just got back home...what a game.  Draining.  Don't know what to say...incredible game.  They have two of the best big men in the country other then Kevin Love and Hibbert and we were there to very end.  What a game.

There's a reason why the absolute best big men in the country go to UCLA, Stanford, etc and not the 320 other schools.

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2008, 09:12:21 PM »
You took what I wrote the wrong way.  I meant scholarship-wise, not playing time.  Because if he's devoting so much time to finding this "talented big man", that may lead to being a little skimpy on the guards, i.e. the three that led us today.

The recruiting complaint is a valid one, don't get me wrong, but like mu_hilltopper, it doesn't seem extremely valid here.

We'd be better off with a top 50 big guy type than Hazel, Cubillan, Fitzgerald, Acker, Cubillan, or Christopherson.  Also Blackledge, Barro or Burke, but replacing them wouldn't have the same affect because we're trying to add to our stock of interior players in this exercise.

Not a knock on those guys, btw, they're all fine players.  Just not enough variety in there.  Too many wings.

Indeed, way too many wings.  I don't think that recruiting big guys will hinder our ability to get top-tier guards at all.  On a different thought, I think Bo Ryan would have handled our team much better this game, specifically on defense.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2008, 09:13:41 PM »
Fact is, you drop either one of those Lopez gals on our team, and we're probably playing in SanAntonio in a couple weeks.

MUSF

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 09:16:41 PM »
"We'd be better off with a top 50 big guy type than Hazel, Cubillan, Fitzgerald, Acker, Cubillan, or Christopherson."

No S**t!

We'd also be better off if we still had DWade or if Lebron decided to wait on the NBA and come to MU. Look, it's hard to get a top 50 big guy type, otherwise we would have one.

CWSKeith

• Starter
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 09:16:58 PM »
You took what I wrote the wrong way.  I meant scholarship-wise, not playing time.  Because if he's devoting so much time to finding this "talented big man", that may lead to being a little skimpy on the guards, i.e. the three that led us today.

The recruiting complaint is a valid one, don't get me wrong, but like mu_hilltopper, it doesn't seem extremely valid here.

We'd be better off with a top 50 big guy type than Hazel, Cubillan, Fitzgerald, Acker, Cubillan, or Christopherson.  Also Blackledge, Barro or Burke, but replacing them wouldn't have the same affect because we're trying to add to our stock of interior players in this exercise.

Not a knock on those guys, btw, they're all fine players.  Just not enough variety in there.  Too many wings.

I don't disagree with you, but that's like saying you'd rather have Tyler Hansborough than Patrick Hazel -- it's a statement that could be made at any point in the season.  Again -- the recruiting complaint is a valid one, it's just not really on my mind right now.  I think if Marquette and Stanford played 50 times, both teams would win about 25 times.  It just sucks that today Marquette was on the losing side...

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 09:28:45 PM »
This whole thread started with someone stating that if we had one more top notch interior player we would be final four material.  Somehow, there were those who argued with it and the thread devolved into me making an stupidly obvious statement like I'd rather have a top 50 interior player than Christopherson.  That's pretty funny.  We didn't need a top 50 guy though.  If we had a guy like Steinsma instead of any of those guys we win tonight.

But anyway, I strongly agree with the original poster's statement and I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 12:03:07 AM by CTWarrior »
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

feedback