[Today at 06:23:47 PM]

[Cracked Sidewalks] Schedule Talk with Mike Broeker by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 01:06:18 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by warriorchick
[May 18, 2024, 07:14:15 PM]

Home and Home with Maryland by WhiteTrash
[May 18, 2024, 01:04:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette's Next Target  (Read 16067 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Marquette's Next Target
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2014, 11:43:41 PM »
Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2014, 11:47:51 PM »
Drew not only doesn't pass the sniff test, he fails it

Bennett did not turn down the MU job, he wasn't offered it IIRC

Apparently, you can't smell the fact that he has a much better situation @ Virginia then he does @ MU.  He recruits 4 star guys down there.  If anything, MU would be a step down.  Common sense dictates that he would not take the job.  MU can offer all they want to be the Bo Ryan of the East.  It's not going to happen. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
I want nothing to do with Bretts BFF.

I respect myself far too much to think that'd ever happen.

Mick is actually Buzz's agent.

He might be the worst dressed coach in college basketball as well.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2014, 12:01:45 AM »
Mick is actually Buzz's agent.

And is Buzz Mick's agent?  Maybe all those calls Buzz was taking were for Cronin.  Wait, Buzz stab his friend in the back?  No, not Buzz.  Buzz wouldn't do that.....but Brent would

[insert evil laughter gif here]

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2014, 12:17:32 AM »
Apparently, you can't smell the fact that he has a much better situation @ Virginia then he does @ MU.  He recruits 4 star guys down there.  If anything, MU would be a step down.  Common sense dictates that he would not take the job.  MU can offer all they want to be the Bo Ryan of the East.  It's not going to happen. 

I never said anything about the current situation.

I was referring to your original post where you stated "Bennett already turned down the position."

I assumed but could be wrong that you were referring to six years ago when we interviewed Tony B for the MU job. He was never offered, he never turned it down.

I have no desire to hire Bo's eventual successor
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2014, 12:28:18 AM »
I never said anything about the current situation.

I was referring to your original post where you stated "Bennett already turned down the position."

I assumed but could be wrong that you were referring to six years ago when we interviewed Tony B for the MU job. He was never offered, he never turned it down.

I have no desire to hire Bo's eventual successor

Bennett was offered the position before Buzz got it and turned it down as well as Sean Miller.  Look it up.  Bennett wasn't publicized. 

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2014, 02:30:55 AM »
They're not going to target Cuonzo.  He doesn't fit their profile and his success can be attributed to Pearl's talent.  Cuonzo hasn't been that successful in the recruiting arena. 
What is their "profile?" What does that mean?

bamamarquettefan

• All American
  • pudner-at-aspen-ideas-festival.jpg
    • Value Add Basketball
« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2014, 03:16:34 AM »
You make a good case, and a small private university background that has had to recruit against huge schools is a good background. Based on how many of our fans were bitter wtih one 17-15 season after three straight Sweet 16s, I don't believe they'd give him a pass long enough to get through the early season if his wins were even twice what he had each of his first three years at Baylor from your chart:

2003–04   Baylor   8–21     3–13   11th   
2004–05   Baylor   9–19     1–15   12th   
2005–06   Baylor   4–23     4–12   12th   
2006–07   Baylor   15–16  4–12   11th
The www.valueaddsports.com analysis of basketball, football and baseball players are intended to neither be too hot or too cold - hundreds immerse themselves in studies of stats not of interest to broader fan bases (too hot), while others still insist on pure observation (too cold).

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2014, 04:14:39 AM »

Is his wardrobe limited to sweaters?

shakanotforsale

• Walk-On
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2014, 09:23:42 AM »
You aren't getting Pastner or Bennett, and you burned the bridge on Howland. You're an average program in a mid-major conference, and you live in a less than average city.  I think it shows how far you've fallen that you can't even keep your coach from going to Virginia Tech.  You'll be lucky to land Cuonzo.  Maybe Archie Miller has a hot young assistant coach that would be willing to go to Marquette for a few years before leaving for bigger and better things.

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:32 AM »
You aren't getting Pastner or Bennett, and you burned the bridge on Howland. You're an average program in a mid-major conference, and you live in a less than average city.  I think it shows how far you've fallen that you can't even keep your coach from going to Virginia Tech.  You'll be lucky to land Cuonzo.  Maybe Archie Miller has a hot young assistant coach that would be willing to go to Marquette for a few years before leaving for bigger and better things.

Lol, If we are mid major you are low major. Wait till your boy leaves and watch your team turn into nothing...cuz your basketball program is a zero without him. That's why you didn't get invited to the big east.

humanlung

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2014, 09:28:35 AM »

Still pissed about the Civil War, huh?  

Go crack a National Light and turn on NASCAR but be careful to not spill any more on the wife beater t-shirt, it might mess up that yellow sweat stain pattern you have worked so hard to attain.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2014, 09:31:35 AM »

If you're gonna troll, troll hard!

FloorSlapping

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »

You make some valid-ish points.  Just curious, who VCU could manage to bring on board in the event Shaka left?  Do you think Howland would even take that call?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »

Why do we even allow these clowns to post? Just ban them and get it over with.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mechaghidorah

• Starter
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2014, 09:36:02 AM »
Still pissed about the Civil War, huh?  

Go crack a National Light and turn on NASCAR but be careful to not spill any more on the wife beater t-shirt, it might mess up that yellow sweat stain pattern you have worked so hard to attain.

Actually, VA is a solid Blue state now and has much more in common with DC than some stereotypical NASCAR town.  Obnoxious, sure, but more for an elitist view...

And the truth is that MU does look incredibly stupid and a bit of a failure right now.  That would change with a Howland hire, but that better happen quick.

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2014, 09:41:31 AM »
Virginia is solid blue because of the northern DC suburbs. Where the overpaid  gov'ment slugs live

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2014, 09:56:04 AM »
You make some valid-ish points.  Just curious, who VCU could manage to bring on board in the event Shaka left?  Do you think Howland would even take that call?

Valid points being that we aren't getting Pastner or Bennett.  Milwaukee being less than average...I'd give him that one too.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2014, 10:00:00 AM »
And the truth is that MU does look incredibly stupid and a bit of a failure right now.
How so? That's a really harsh assessment. MU never came out and said anything about the hiring process or its progression (other than the news conference in which their hand was forced based on the swirling rumors). The media ran with some half-truths, and things didn't work out with Shaka. We joined the club. Life after Shaka goes on.

I still trust MU to find the next best coach.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2014, 10:06:23 AM »
Go blow out the candles in your Dale Earnhardt shrine

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
You guys realize you are arguing with a 19 year old dumbass in Richmond, VA, right?

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2014, 10:26:38 AM »
You make a good case, and a small private university background that has had to recruit against huge schools is a good background. Based on how many of our fans were bitter wtih one 17-15 season after three straight Sweet 16s, I don't believe they'd give him a pass long enough to get through the early season if his wins were even twice what he had each of his first three years at Baylor from your chart:

2003–04   Baylor   8–21     3–13   11th   
2004–05   Baylor   9–19     1–15   12th   
2005–06   Baylor   4–23     4–12   12th   
2006–07   Baylor   15–16  4–12   11th

I see your point, but if you look at the context of everything, Baylor was nothing. It had no tradition.  It takes 4-5 years to build a program from scratch.  Buzz is going to need 4-5 years at VT before anything happens.  Any new coach that comes in, won't have that issue if he can recruit.  He already has a base to work with. 

shakanotforsale

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2014, 09:57:31 PM »
I'm hearing Mitch Reaves, one of the assistant coaches at Cal Poly, has interviewed for the position:

http://gopoly.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Reaves-_Mitch

The Process

• All American
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2014, 09:59:30 PM »
I'm hearing Mitch Reaves, one of the assistant coaches at Cal Poly, has interviewed for the position:

http://gopoly.com/sports/mbkb/coaches/Reaves-_Mitch

You're so cute when you troll. :-*
Relax. Respect the Process.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2014, 10:08:36 PM »
MICK CRONIN

feedback