Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Durley  (Read 11111 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Aaron Durley
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2012, 08:12:03 AM »
Has anyone watched him in practice or warmups?  Can anyone tell us how he looks.  It is really odd to have a scholarship player coming in who doesn't play for his high school team.  If he can't help his highschool team, can we expect him to help us?

It would help if you read the thread instead of posting the same questions...again and again.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2012, 09:59:51 AM »
I have read the thread and am still hopeful that we can all learn from some one who has watched this young man play.  Lighten up bud.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »
While I find it curious as well, I know Durley had played significant minutes on his AAU team (which included Ridley, I believe).  I don't know what to make of it, but without having seen him play or having knowledge as to why he does not play, I can only sit and wait to see what the plan is.  I can't bust on the guy like some others because of that (not saying your comment is busing on him).  I admit, he is intriguing - big bodied, tall and athletic.  Hasn't been playing basketball all that long, either.  That is potentially good and bad.

Mac, I agree with what you and Sultan have said about this.  Buzz has earned our trust.  Period.  Just look at his success with JUCOS.  Also, the fact that Durley's coach can give a first hand comparison to Otule is enough for me.  If Buzz is wrong on this one (which I highly doubt), we will find out soon enough. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2012, 11:04:52 AM »

2)  I think Buzz's track record with "project bigs" is not that great.  He's had a couple of really good hits, but he's had a couple of really bad misses.  I honestly believe that Durley is going to be one of the hits.  Just from a gut feel, he seems a lot more like Otule/Gardner to me than Roseboro/Mbao.  I'm excited to have him here, and I think he's going to do well.

Buzz has signed 5 bigs.   Roseboro, Mbao, McMorrow, Otule, Gardner.    Two were hits, two were misses, one was an incomplete due to medical issues.    The deciding factors as to whether they were hits or misses appears to be attitude and work ethic.   (Like so many things in life) They got out of it what they put into it.   So, IMO, if Durley comes here with the attitude that he has exhibited so far, and puts in the work, he will probably be successful.    The physical tools are there, the coaches who can develop bigs are there.   It is up to Durley. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2012, 11:52:10 AM »
But he does get PT for his AAU team, which also has the same starter (Ridley) at center. I think Buzz has had a pretty good track record with project bigs, so it's well worth giving the kid a chance.

So how does he do for his AAU team?  Anybody know?

wojosdojo

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:29 PM »
Buzz has signed 5 bigs.   Roseboro, Mbao, McMorrow, Otule, Gardner.    Two were hits, two were misses, one was an incomplete due to medical issues.    The deciding factors as to whether they were hits or misses appears to be attitude and work ethic.   (Like so many things in life) They got out of it what they put into it.   So, IMO, if Durley comes here with the attitude that he has exhibited so far, and puts in the work, he will probably be successful.    The physical tools are there, the coaches who can develop bigs are there.   It is up to Durley. 

1 has been a hit. I dont fault Buzz for O'tule's injury but hes played one full season, he still has hands that cant grab the ball 50% of the time and a high percentage of his scoring (5ppg) comes early in the game. Its been determined he is good for taking up space and not allowing the drive, but other than that its hard to call him a hit.

Sorry to be irrelevant to Durley.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2012, 12:29:16 PM »
What does Gates HS ranking have to do with how he's playing as a senior in college?????

Because he was comparing Gates to Durley. Durley is hardly even rated, and Gates was a top-30 recruit. They are not comparable. By the time Durley is a senior....maybe.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2012, 12:34:33 PM »
Both have big bodies that is what I was saying.  Gates has not lived up to his HS ratings, Durley will be better than his
ratings.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
1 has been a hit. I dont fault Buzz for O'tule's injury but hes played one full season, he still has hands that cant grab the ball 50% of the time and a high percentage of his scoring (5ppg) comes early in the game. Its been determined he is good for taking up space and not allowing the drive, but other than that its hard to call him a hit.

Sorry to be irrelevant to Durley.
I'm trying to figure out why on earth it matters when his points are scored.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2012, 01:13:42 PM »

See the thread(s) on MU's slow starts as of late.  That's why it matters.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »
See the thread(s) on MU's slow starts as of late.  That's why it matters.

Hold on.  Are you saying that the reason we are off to slow starts is because Otule is hurt?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 10, 2012, 01:30:33 PM »
Hold on.  Are you saying that the reason we are off to slow starts is because Otule is hurt?

You may not be picking up what I'm throwing down; OTOH, I may not be picking up what you're throwing down, either.

Perhaps my message would have been clearer had I said:

------

Because scoring more points in the first half helps our first half RPI.
--------

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
You may not be picking up what I'm throwing down; OTOH, I may not be picking up what you're throwing down, either.

Perhaps my message would have been clearer had I said:

------
--------
The revision is much clearer.  Thanks

Real Chilly Podcast

• Starter
  • whassup marquette whassuuup?
    • Real Chilly Podcast
« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2012, 01:51:08 PM »

------
--------

do you think this would help our chances for first half tourney seeding?
Listen to the Real Chilly Podcast on SoundCloud, iTunes, or Youtube.

Follow our twitter: @RealChillyPod

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 10, 2012, 01:53:24 PM »

McMorrow is recovered and has been playing the last two seasons at Tennessee Tech.  

Based on his stats there, I'd put him in the miss column.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 10, 2012, 01:56:00 PM »
McMorrow is recovered and has been playing the last two seasons at Tennessee Tech.  

Based on his stats there, I'd put him in the miss column.

not to pick nits, but i think it was more of a risk averse issue, with McMorrow, wasnt it? Its not so much that he was injured and got better as Tenn Tech was willing to roll the dice with his heart condition, whereas MU wasn't going to let him play/was more interested in opening up McMorrow's schollie?

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14:29 PM »
Does Ridley ever check out?

http://tinyurl.com/6oh6z6v

RT @FtBendSports: Bush's Aaron Durley checks in. For the first time all season (I think) Cameron Ridley DOES NOT check out. Many have been waiting for this.
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2012, 02:51:39 PM »
do you think this would help our chances for first half tourney seeding?

Dayton is lovely this time of year.

feedback