'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Aaron Durley  (Read 11110 times)

bdee29

• Walk-On
Aaron Durley
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:12:50 PM »
"The Bullpen" on Marquette Radio will be interviewing 2012 MUBB commit Aaron Durley at 4:30 this afternoon! Tune into marquetteradio.org to hear his thoughts about the program's appeal, the role he expects to play, and his future at Marquette.

MKEblue

• Walk-On
Re: Aaron Durley
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 01:56:23 PM »
It will be interesting to hear his thoughts. Im curious as to his development over his senior year. I will try to tune in.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 02:07:26 PM »
It will be interesting to hear his thoughts. Im curious as to his development over his senior year. I will try to tune in.

Development over his senior year? He doesn't play. Going to have to wait until he gets to Marquette to evaluate progress.

MUcookie30

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:10:14 PM »
Development over his senior year? He doesn't play. Going to have to wait until he gets to Marquette to evaluate progress.

So why do teams practice then if you can only improve during games?

Boone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 02:30:31 PM »
I know Ridley's a stud, who's going to see the bulk of the minutes, and his team plays an uptempo style, but given his coach's recent glowing scouting report, it's still very odd how Durley accumulates so many DNPs. Something doesn't smell right.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 02:33:55 PM »
Ditto.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 02:35:16 PM »
I know Ridley's a stud, who's going to see the bulk of the minutes, and his team plays an uptempo style, but given his coach's recent glowing scouting report, it's still very odd how Durley accumulates so many DNPs. Something doesn't smell right.

Cmon...this has been mentioned repeatedly.  The coach likes to run a full court press with one post, and the post he has is one of the top prospects in the country.

He's a 6'11" bulky guy.  Perfect for development since he will have DG and CO in front of him for two years.  Not sure we can (or even want to) redshirt him, but this guy looks like he will be our center for two years.  Let's see where this goes.

There was an article posted here last week about why he is coming to MU.  That he is a very intelligent and engaging guy.  He talked about how Buzz is the perfect coach to maximize his abilities. 

And what do you mean by "doesn't smell right?"  What exactly are you insinuating?

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:39:26 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Boone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 02:41:26 PM »
I know. I mentioned all that in my post. That still doesn't explain all the DNPs, though. You'd think a player who the coach thinks is THAT good, could see some game action. Maybe the coach is BS'ing, I don't know. Just doesn't add up.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:43:12 PM by Boone »

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 02:44:26 PM »
I dont think he's insinuating anything that horrific. Its just how many uninjured, 6'11" players going to BCS conferences can't get any PT in their senior year of HS? Maybe an injury concern, maybe a skill concern, what have you. But are the guards on this team so good that it wouldn't make for a better rotation to sometimes alter the scheme and get the big guy some minutes?  No doubt that Durley is a great kid, but the situation is certainly outside the norm.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2012, 02:46:23 PM »
Cmon...this has been mentioned repeatedly.  The coach likes to run a full court press with one post, and the post he has is one of the top prospects in the country.

He's a 6'11" bulky guy.  Perfect for development since he will have DG and CO in front of him for two years.  Not sure we can (or even want to) redshirt him, but this guy looks like he will be our center for two years.  Let's see where this goes.

There was an article posted here last week about why he is coming to MU.  That he is a very intelligent and engaging guy.  He talked about how Buzz is the perfect coach to maximize his abilities. 

And what do you mean by "doesn't smell right?"  What exactly are you insinuating?

Thought you were gonna *sigh* there for a second.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 03:18:55 PM »
I dont think he's insinuating anything that horrific. Its just how many uninjured, 6'11" players going to BCS conferences can't get any PT in their senior year of HS? Maybe an injury concern, maybe a skill concern, what have you. But are the guards on this team so good that it wouldn't make for a better rotation to sometimes alter the scheme and get the big guy some minutes?  No doubt that Durley is a great kid, but the situation is certainly outside the norm.
Some of Buzz's best recruits come from situations 'outside the norm'.    6'11, 270.   No contribution needed for his first 2 years here. (assuming CO plays a 6th year)  (and I'm assuming red-shirt unless there are more injuries)    Give him two years with Todd, and two years of beating on CO and DG in practice.    If we are still having this conversation in December of 14, I will worry.     Right now, he is a big kid with a positive attitude who felt bad about manhandling mid-major bigs on his campus visits.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2012, 03:36:39 PM »
I brought up the fact that Durley had a bunch of DNP's weeks ago. I still don't get how a high major recruit can't get anything but garbage time on his high school team (don't accept the "Ridley is ahead of him" explanation as sufficient), but I will concede that the "wait and see how he develops" posters have won me over. Come to MU, work hard, let the chips fall where they may.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 04:05:54 PM »
He is a tall body, do not expect much the first 2 years, maybe would be smart to redshirt.  Then we will start talking about him in 3 years. He is tall and big, that is a start.
Otule and Gardner the next 2 years!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2012, 04:29:14 PM »
i honestly wonder if he would be seeing more PT playing at MU this year than on his high school team....5 fouls at the 5-spot would be nice to have against poor free-throw shooting centers right now.  i can't believe there is a player anywhere in the states with his size and athleticism that sees the court less than he does.  has to be more to it than just skill/ability level and who plays in front of him.  no way there hasn't been blow-outs, and ridley isn't playing the entire game.  no clue why he doesn't play, but it's the weirdest thing i've seen regarding an incoming recruit. 

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2012, 04:32:05 PM »
i honestly wonder if he would be seeing more PT playing at MU this year than on his high school team....5 fouls at the 5-spot would be nice to have against poor free-throw shooting centers right now.  i can't believe there is a player anywhere in the states with his size and athleticism that sees the court less than he does.  has to be more to it than just skill/ability level and who plays in front of him.  no way there hasn't been blow-outs, and ridley isn't playing the entire game.  no clue why he doesn't play, but it's the weirdest thing i've seen regarding an incoming recruit. 

agreed.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2012, 05:19:32 PM »
Buzz must have saw something as I have never seen in 50 years a scholarship player play as little as he does.  Now is saying that, Amal MaCaskell did not start for his team
and probably averaged nothing in high school became a pretty good player, good enough to play about 10 years in the NBA.  The kid has to have some coordination since he
pitched at a very young age in Little Leagues.  I watch Yancy Gates, he does not do to much either, but with his size he clogs the lane.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
He is a tall body, do not expect much the first 2 years, maybe would be smart to redshirt.  Then we will start talking about him in 3 years. He is tall and big, that is a start.
Otule and Gardner the next 2 years!

Only problem with that is that if he doesn't work out, we're locked into 5 years of the big fella.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2012, 05:23:34 PM »
Ridley can't be playing every minute of every game, can he?  Doesn't he ever get a rest?  How can Dudley get DNPs?  The coach doesn't put him in for 5 minutes a game so Ridley can catch his breath?  Very, very strange, especially since his coach says he's a good player.  Seems like there's more here than meets the eye.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2012, 05:26:11 PM »
So why do teams practice then if you can only improve during games?

I'm saying he's interested in monitoring his progress, how's he going to do that when he doesn't enter the games? Is he at the practices? Again, going to have to wait until he gets here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2012, 05:27:13 PM »
He was all-state (small private schools) as a soph.   He transferred and tore his achilles doing AAU the summer between sophomore and junior years.    He barely played as a junior but is still listed by some sources as at top 25 in Texas prospect.    He is a project.    But he is a huge project with a good attitude.     BTW, what did he say in his interview?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2012, 05:27:28 PM »
so did anyone listen in?  i'd be interested in hearing what he had to say.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2012, 05:35:52 PM »
Lets here what he has to say.  His best move would be JC or prep school.  A bunch of people still thinks he might not make it to campus. We
shall see.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2012, 05:43:24 PM »
Whether he's coming to campus or not, I still want Nolan.  Even better if they're both on the roster.  Either way, seems like it would be best to give Durley a redshirt year with the other players on the roster, assuming everyone stays healthy.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2012, 05:45:43 PM »
Whether he's coming to campus or not, I still want Nolan.  Even better if they're both on the roster.  Either way, seems like it would be best to give Durley a redshirt year with the other players on the roster, assuming everyone stays healthy.

that's a big assumption.  if we're in the same situation next year as we are this year, we'll need him to be suiting up.

MKEblue

• Walk-On
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2012, 06:42:09 PM »
I listened in. He said he was working on his game everyday whether it be in practice or in the game. He didnt dive into reasons for not getting into certain games though. Also, multiple times he admitted and understood he needed and wanted to develope once he got to MU. He even said it was the number one reason he came to Marquette. One word: Development. He will be a project. nuff said. Lets hope for the best in a quick development.

feedback