'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: AAU coaches and "speaking fees"  (Read 1103 times)

mugrad99

• Team Captain
AAU coaches and "speaking fees"
« on: May 20, 2010, 01:29:47 PM »
What is MU's position on this. I just had an interesting lunch with someone at the NCAA and a couple of schools are going to "blow the whistle" on these AAU coaches. He told me, right now, it is OK to pay appearance fees to the AAU coaches. But what is happening is that these "fees" are being passed down to the players.

Before, I make this next comment, it is not to be a Crean bashing. But one of the IU staff has commented directly to the NCAA basically saying every top 20 kid is being paid this way, and IU refuses to pay.

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: AAU coaches and "speaking fees"
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 01:46:25 PM »
So that's the problem. Maybe they should start.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:50:20 PM »
3 problems that need to be addressed:

1. Speaking fees for AAU coaches
2. AAU coaches (and in some cases the fathers of players) selling Event Programs (brochures) which can cost up to $100 (see LaQuinton Ross, Class '11). His dad sold programs at $100 a clip for an event he put together which happened to feature his son.
3. College HC's that recruit AAU and h.s. coaches to their program which in turn leads to one of his players signing with the same college team. It's perfectly fine for a h.s. coach to jump up the coaching ranks, but the transition shouldnt include a player(s). There should be a rule that prevents this.

GOMU1104

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 02:09:37 PM »
That $100 fee is cheap. There were instannces last summer where college coaches up and just left events becaue they were being charged several hundred dollars for the programs.

Another thing I have heard of...Many AAU programs are set up as non profits, and as I understand, donations to non profit organizations can be kept confidential, so "someone" could "donate" money to one of the AAU programs, without it being found out.  (Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about the confidentiality...it is just something that I heard through the grapevine)

Coaches can no longer hire anyone associated with a recruit for 2 years prior to that player coming, or 2 years after they have left the program...so that should help.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 02:26:59 PM »
Another thing I have heard of...Many AAU programs are set up as non profits, and as I understand, donations to non profit organizations can be kept confidential, so "someone" could "donate" money to one of the AAU programs, without it being found out.  (Somebody please correct me if I am wrong about the confidentiality...it is just something that I heard through the grapevine)

You are correct.  If AAU teams are classified as a public charity, 501(c)(3) organization, they do not have to disclose the names of their donors.  They may not even have to file a tax return if their income is under certain thresholds.

feedback