Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Morrow to Marquette  (Read 65779 times)

We R Final Four

• All American
Re: Morrow to Marquette
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2017, 06:18:00 PM »
Talent always wins.  The Cavs never win the championship without LJ.  The Pack never wins a SB without ARodg.  You don't give that up ever.

Unless, of course, the Pack has Favre.....or Starr.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
Absolutely talent wins out...you don't not take Morrow because of worries about roster issues. He isn't some end of the bench guy..probably at least in my opinion one of the top 5 available players this offseason.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2017, 08:29:13 PM »
Absolutely talent wins out...you don't not take Morrow because of worries about roster issues. He isn't some end of the bench guy..probably at least in my opinion one of the top 5 available players this offseason.

and if all goes according to plan, he fills one of our needs very very well
don't...don't don't don't don't

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2017, 09:14:49 PM »

My point is that if Howard goes down, we are going to be in trouble no matter what.....it's not a position thing, it's a talent thing. By your logic we should (potentially) not have a more talented front court player so we can have a back-up PG in case Howard goes down. Roster balance is important but not at the cost of talent acquisition. I'd rather maximize the talent on the roster and assume whoever the back-up is plus the rest of the roster talent is sufficient to minimize the impact of Howard's loss...because the loss is his talent not that he's a PG per se.

Thought experiment. Let's assume Howard is going to be injured. Do we want to trade say, Theo John, for a back-up that is better than Elliot/Haanif but far less talented than Howard? If fictional back-up is better talent than Theo John, maybe otherwise what's the point?

I actually agree with you. I'm of the opinion that you should stack the roster with as much talent as possible. Positioning will work itself out- Wojo will figure it out

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2017, 10:43:48 PM »

I agree.  I specifically said the CPS scene for a reason.

I know. This has been a burr on my side about Chicago. Perception is that CPS is Chicago but there is much more. Buzz was on these Catholic kids. Ulis was begging to come here. Pryor was at Evanston before ND but Buzz was on him but the SLU admin decided no as they didn't like the grades or JUCO. Losing Matthews may have been the last straw for Buzz.  I think Buzz looked hard at O'Mara but passed. Benford was making inroads in the CPS.

MU needs Chicago to win. Wojo has been hesitant.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 05, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »
What ever do you mean?  People talk in cryptic language so is it wrong of me to jump to conclusions?

Why can't people just be clear about what they are talking about?

Conversely, why do people jump to <wrong> conclusions when posters are being cryptic?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #181 on: May 05, 2017, 11:07:06 PM »
I know. This has been a burr on my side about Chicago. Perception is that CPS is Chicago but there is much more. Buzz was on these Catholic kids. Ulis was begging to come here. Pryor was at Evanston before ND but Buzz was on him but the SLU admin decided no as they didn't like the grades or JUCO. Losing Matthews may have been the last straw for Buzz.  I think Buzz looked hard at O'Mara but passed. Benford was making inroads in the CPS.

I will just add Brunson. Saw that kid in 6th grade and he was a stud. I think Buzz always thought he was a Philly lean (good guess with Daddy) but MU should have played. Too much demurring.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 06, 2017, 12:16:02 AM »

Thing is..Wojo went into Chicago with Duke..so he should have connections there. I'm with you..Chicago hasnt seemed to be as big of a priority for MU ever since Crean left and I'm not sure why..

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #183 on: May 06, 2017, 12:30:48 AM »

Eh....maybe top 10 traditional transfer. Top 20-25 including grad transfers. But it was pretty good transfer class this year.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #184 on: May 06, 2017, 12:44:28 AM »
Eh....maybe top 10 traditional transfer. Top 20-25 including grad transfers. But it was pretty good transfer class this year.

Sorry..but you're wrong on this one TAMU..maybe you look at it from a "fit" perspective..and if you're in the "MU needs another PG" camp..then you dont see the need with Morrow. The ONLY two grad transfers i thought were clearly better than Morrow are Egor and Cam Johnson. Thats it. I'd have to look at the trad transfer list again to make a judgment on that one..but no one seems to understand how good Morrow is.

He'd have been the second leading rebounder in the BE last year. If no one wants that..they're crazy.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #185 on: May 06, 2017, 04:02:10 AM »

I find this highly unlikely as he was ranked around 50 in his class out of high school and almost averaged a double double last season.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 06, 2017, 05:31:56 AM »

Marrquette does not "need" Chicago to win. It would be helpful, but Buzz's run of three S16s included one bit player from Chicago. Not a necessity. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 06, 2017, 07:14:55 AM »
I find this highly unlikely as he was ranked around 50 in his class out of high school and almost averaged a double double last season.

Wrong. ESPN had Morrow at 62, Rivals 105, and Scout was an unranked 3 star. So one service, which in my opinion is the worst of the three, had him maybe kinda somewhat close to 50. The rest, not even close.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 07:18:22 AM by Lazar's Headband »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #188 on: May 06, 2017, 07:56:04 AM »
Just bc I want a PG doesn't mean I don't want Morrow or Joey.  I want them all.  What I'm saying is we still need a PG.  For all I care you can slap Sacar with a kielbasa sausage and send him back to Scandanavia; I really don't care how it happens, I just think this team needs PG. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #189 on: May 06, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »
So why did Morrow go to Aksarben to begin with?

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #190 on: May 06, 2017, 08:41:21 AM »

His parents are Nebraska alums and Nebraska was coming off a NCAA tournament appearance.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #191 on: May 06, 2017, 08:42:23 AM »
Wrong. ESPN had Morrow at 62, Rivals 105, and Scout was an unranked 3 star. So one service, which in my opinion is the worst of the three, had him maybe kinda somewhat close to 50. The rest, not even close.

Lol you're a peach. 
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 06, 2017, 08:46:49 AM »
Lol you're a peach.

Additionally 247 had Morrow at 116.

Morrow can play though. Be interesting to see how his game develops to play some wing on occasion

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #193 on: May 06, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »

Morrow can play though. Be interesting to see how his game develops to play some wing on occasion
The RSCI composite ranking had him at 85.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 06, 2017, 08:57:56 AM »
Maybe, he thought it was in Michigan.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #195 on: May 06, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
The RSCI composite ranking had him at 85.

Nukem, I am unaware of the RSCI, can you explain?

I was just going off this from 247: http://247sports.com/Player/Ed-Morrow-33911?Institution=10187

112 national comp & 116 by 247

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #196 on: May 06, 2017, 09:01:06 AM »
Nukem, I am unaware of the RSCI, can you explain?

"Recruiting Services Consensus Index"  It is a composite ranking based on several of the services that rank prospects. 

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #197 on: May 06, 2017, 09:46:40 AM »

Most on this board feel that MU has finally found the answer to the lack of an effective inside presence who can defend and rebound and you want to move him to the wing?

#hausersonthebench
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #198 on: May 06, 2017, 09:58:40 AM »
Marrquette does not "need" Chicago to win. It would be helpful, but Buzz's run of three S16s included one bit player from Chicago. Not a necessity.

Eight* out of the last 10 NCAA champions had Chicago players. Bo made his run with Chicago players (Frank and Brust). Al's championship teams were made with Chicago (and NYC) talent. Crean's run was driven by Chicago talent. So, when you say it is not a "need" or "necessity", I simply do not agree, whether back in the day or today. And this excuse (not yours but one I keep hearing) about the CPS swamp for not recruiting Chicago is just that, an excuse. Glad to have Morrow.

*Sherron Collins, Frasor, Scheyer, Anthony Davis, Blackshear, Boatright, Parker/Okafor, Brunson.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #199 on: May 06, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
Sorry..but you're wrong on this one TAMU..maybe you look at it from a "fit" perspective..and if you're in the "MU needs another PG" camp..then you dont see the need with Morrow. The ONLY two grad transfers i thought were clearly better than Morrow are Egor and Cam Johnson. Thats it. I'd have to look at the trad transfer list again to make a judgment on that one..but no one seems to understand how good Morrow is.

He'd have been the second leading rebounder in the BE last year. If no one wants that..they're crazy.

I agree with you here. Seems people here don't know how good Morrow can be if healthy. Unfortunately, he hasn't been healthy very much in his college career. The year off should help.

This guy is much better than his numbers would indicate. We got a good one.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

feedback