[May 09, 2024, 08:12:51 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[May 09, 2024, 04:40:58 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 09, 2024, 02:42:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 09, 2024, 12:49:34 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8572398 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 10/15/17
« Reply #10075 on: October 16, 2017, 03:11:13 PM »
People QG has high potential of "running into" while on campus: Dwyane Wade, Jae Crowder, LeBron James, Jabari Parker, Giannis, Isaiah Thomas, DRose. I'm thinking Lawrence and Lexington can't offer those unique opportunities. Hoping he grew up idolizing at least one of these guys. Who knows, maybe Wojo can convince Jabari to shoot around with him.
2011 D-Rose?

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #10076 on: October 16, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »
I'm actually amazed QG made it through these three other visits without committing ... I'm not a recruiting expert, but feel like Marquette has as good of a shot as anyone else.

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #10077 on: October 16, 2017, 03:44:02 PM »
People QG has high potential of "running into" while on campus: Dwyane Wade, Jae Crowder, LeBron James, Jabari Parker, Giannis, Isaiah Thomas, DRose. I'm thinking Lawrence and Lexington can't offer those unique opportunities. Hoping he grew up idolizing at least one of these guys. Who knows, maybe Wojo can convince Jabari to shoot around with him.
So he's going to Dayton?
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #10078 on: October 16, 2017, 03:45:30 PM »
why would lebron or drose be on campus???

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #10079 on: October 16, 2017, 03:49:08 PM »

Cavs @ Bucks that weekend. They play with Crowder and Wade. Occasionally visiting NBA teams with MU alums will practice at the AL.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #10080 on: October 16, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
I believe th cavs are in town that weekend
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #10081 on: October 16, 2017, 03:54:47 PM »
I think QC respects the process.  Why not take a nice vacation on a university.  MU has spent a ton of money on following this kid and I would not be surprised if you
hear that Stan and Wojo stopped by this week before his visit.  Looks like a nice Wisconsin Fall weekend which helps, and lets face it, having Cleveland in town is an
added plus as I am sure he will be at that game.  Run into players, I am sure that will be set-up.  What is stupid rule the NCAA has for NBA players in talking with high school kids?  I am sure there is one?  I am sure if MU got caught doing that, they would get a big penalty, but going to class, no penalty.  Does that make sense?

Marquette4life

• All American
« Reply #10082 on: October 16, 2017, 04:00:47 PM »
Cavs @ Bucks that weekend. They play with Crowder and Wade. Occasionally visiting NBA teams with MU alums will practice at the AL.
right. that makes more sense

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #10083 on: October 16, 2017, 04:10:04 PM »
Grimes coming in on Thursday is a big win.  The Cavs contractually have to be in town Thursday night  and will 95% surely fly out right after the game on Friday.  So having Grimes in MKE all day Friday is optimal. 

I'd bet my kids that D Wade and Jae will work out at the Al on Friday
I'd bet your kids that Jabari will work out at the Al on Friday
I'd bet your kids' friends that LeBron will work out at the Al on Friday
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #10084 on: October 16, 2017, 04:26:48 PM »
What is stupid rule the NCAA has for NBA players in talking with high school kids?  I am sure there is one?  I am sure if MU got caught doing that, they would get a big penalty, but going to class, no penalty.  Does that make sense?
No--none of what you wrote makes sense.

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #10085 on: October 16, 2017, 04:29:13 PM »
No--none of what you wrote makes sense.

Ok

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #10086 on: October 16, 2017, 04:37:21 PM »

So Rose can push him to Calipari? No thank you. Lebron might be willing to help wade out and Jabari help Wojo out but everyone else outside of Crowder can stay away.
Maigh Eo for Sam

mug644

• All American
« Reply #10087 on: October 16, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »
I think QC respects the process.  Why not take a nice vacation on a university.  MU has spent a ton of money on following this kid and I would not be surprised if you
hear that Stan and Wojo stopped by this week before his visit.  Looks like a nice Wisconsin Fall weekend which helps, and lets face it, having Cleveland in town is an
added plus as I am sure he will be at that game.
  Run into players, I am sure that will be set-up.  What is stupid rule the NCAA has for NBA players in talking with high school kids?  I am sure there is one?  I am sure if MU got caught doing that, they would get a big penalty, but going to class, no penalty.  Does that make sense?

This is something that I've wondered about. How do recruits pay for tickets? If he's at the Bucks game, might MU need to be able to demonstrate that it wasn't provided as a recruiting benefit? Would one of those (permissible) visits with an NBA player lead to one of them giving him tickets? I don't recall the details, but didn't something like this get Juan suspended for a game or two?

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #10088 on: October 16, 2017, 04:47:30 PM »
This is something that I've wondered about. How do recruits pay for tickets? If he's at the Bucks game, might MU need to be able to demonstrate that it wasn't provided as a recruiting benefit? Would one of those (permissible) visits with an NBA player lead to one of them giving him tickets? I don't recall the details, but didn't something like this get Juan suspended for a game or two?

Some dude above did not understand my question, glad somebody does?  Thanks.  I saw an MU player with Joel Emblid at the game.  Juan got suspended as he took
tickets from an Alumni.  Seen the Aussie at the game, sure he got the tickets from Thon Maker as they were good seats, and it seems good friends.  They share the building with the Bucks, sure they have a box as well, just guessing or use Herb Kohls box.   MU has the right to show kids where they are going to play, so might as
watch a game.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10089 on: October 16, 2017, 05:05:40 PM »
My understanding is that universities are allowed to provide "entertainment" to recruits and their legal guardians during official visits. The examples I was given were bowling, laser tag, going to the movies. I'm not sure if going to an NBA game is covered by that or not. I seem to recall something about having to stay within 30 miles of campus or something.

And while you cannot have Dwyane Wade call a kid and tell him to come to Marquette, I believe you can have alumni meet with recruits during official visits. I also believe that recruits are allowed to participate in scrimmages as long as they aren't organized or observed by the coaching staff. So if Wade, James, Jae, Parker, and Giannis just happened to decide to play a game of 3 on 3 in the Al and needed a 6th...theoretically okay by the NCAA. Not sure how the Bucks and Cavs would feel about it.

I am not a rules expert by any stretch, so this is from my limted understanding. Jay Bee or one of the scoopers with kids who are college athletes could give more a more definite answer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #10090 on: October 16, 2017, 07:23:50 PM »
http://www.gomarquette.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101617aaa.html

Look QG we are good Jesuits too! Maybe he can delay his flight and stay for the game
And also...donate to a good cause!

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10091 on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
Any word on Rowsey status for this game?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #10092 on: October 16, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Some dude above did not understand my question, glad somebody does?  Thanks.  I saw an MU player with Joel Emblid at the game.  Juan got suspended as he took
tickets from an Alumni.  Seen the Aussie at the game, sure he got the tickets from Thon Maker as they were good seats, and it seems good friends.  They share the building with the Bucks, sure they have a box as well, just guessing or use Herb Kohls box.   MU has the right to show kids where they are going to play, so might as
watch a game.

Herb has a box? Who’d have known, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10093 on: October 16, 2017, 10:07:36 PM »
Very cool. Well done.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10094 on: October 16, 2017, 10:14:38 PM »
Yes, it sucks to have great opportunities to play a sport, get their education paid for, lifelong connections to alumni, free food, training, tutors.  Suckage is so understating how horrible it is for these students.

The obvious problem with such people is that they can't get more than that because they agreed to follow rules made by others when they signed in the first place to get those goodies, even though they'd like to get around those rules now.  If only they could evade consequences by some subterfuge!

Who do I know who has agreed to follow rules made by others and when they chose to ignore those rules and were sanctioned chose to avoid those sanctions by subterfuge?

Oh, that would be you, Chicos, hoopaloop, 4or5yearstojudge and whatever other alias you care to use.  You are a serial violator of rules you agreed to follow, a hyprocrite and probably a sociopath who believes that rules must be followed by everyone else but him. 

I'm certain that you're incapable of seeing yourself in a clear light, but anyway I'm going to point out what most of us know, you really need to end your participation in this board, if only to avoid revealing your true self any further.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10095 on: October 16, 2017, 10:18:02 PM »
Hey Banny McBannerson! Get off the effen board!!!

Either that, or write another heartfelt apology saying how much you've changed.

Darn it, you kinda beat me to it.  I think I better pointed out the hypocrisy, though.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #10096 on: October 16, 2017, 10:48:21 PM »

But seriously, KU fans are nuts. They think both Graham and Newman will average 18+ points, at least 4 of their players are going pro.

Is it more likely that 4 of their players will go pro or that Markus will go pro?

Serious question.

What if Markus averages 20, goes 50% or better from the arc again, leads us to the dance ... and, most importantly, has his peeps whispering in his ear that he is good enough for the NBA?

I don't know anything about Markus except that I enjoy watching him play and what folks here say about him. I don't know if he even has peeps who would do such whispering.

But remember ... a kid doesn't have to be good enough to play in the NBA to leave for the NBA. As we (Vander) all know (Blue). He just has to think he's good enough or have folks around him who think he's good enough.

I guess I'll answer my own question: If Markus has that great a season, we'll take it and we'll see what happens if and when it happens.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #10097 on: October 16, 2017, 11:03:23 PM »
The obvious problem with such people is that they can't get more than that because they agreed to follow rules made by others when they signed in the first place to get those goodies, even though they'd like to get around those rules now.  If only they could evade consequences by some subterfuge!

Who do I know who has agreed to follow rules made by others and when they chose to ignore those rules and were sanctioned chose to avoid those sanctions by subterfuge?

Oh, that would be you, Chicos, hoopaloop, 4or5yearstojudge and whatever other alias you care to use.  You are a serial violator of rules you agreed to follow, a hyprocrite and probably a sociopath who believes that rules must be followed by everyone else but him. 

I'm certain that you're incapable of seeing yourself in a clear light, but anyway I'm going to point out what most of us know, you really need to end your participation in this board, if only to avoid revealing your true self any further.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10098 on: October 17, 2017, 12:12:31 AM »
Someone help me out. What is Wojo batting with recruits who actually get on campus for an official visit? The only recruit I can think of who took an official and ended up elsewhere was Xavier Tillman. Was there anybody else?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #10099 on: October 17, 2017, 07:09:23 AM »
Is it more likely that 4 of their players will go pro or that Markus will go pro?

Serious question.

What if Markus averages 20, goes 50% or better from the arc again, leads us to the dance ... and, most importantly, has his peeps whispering in his ear that he is good enough for the NBA?

I don't know anything about Markus except that I enjoy watching him play and what folks here say about him. I don't know if he even has peeps who would do such whispering.

But remember ... a kid doesn't have to be good enough to play in the NBA to leave for the NBA. As we (Vander) all know (Blue). He just has to think he's good enough or have folks around him who think he's good enough.

I guess I'll answer my own question: If Markus has that great a season, we'll take it and we'll see what happens if and when it happens.

I know no more than you do, but it SEEMS that his head is screwed on firmly based on his high school academic success (did you know he's only 18?).

Now, if scouts tell him that him getting drafted in round 1 is a lock  (highly unlikely), logic should tell him to chase that. Short of that, he will probably realize that demolishing every 3pt record while maximizing whatever defense he can muster is the best course of action.