collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2014-15 college football thread  (Read 36493 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: 2014-15 college football thread
« Reply #100 on: November 15, 2014, 06:57:04 PM »
'Cats kicked the Domer asses, awesome!
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

brandx

« Reply #101 on: November 15, 2014, 07:17:39 PM »
He really is a great runner, but Nebraska's defense was horrendous.  He won't win the Heisman, but he'll be there when they hand out the trophy.

I think it's Mariota's to lose right now. but one bad game could swing it Gordon's way.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2014, 07:28:49 PM »
NORTHWESTERN.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2014, 08:04:25 PM »
'Cats kicked the Domer asses, awesome!

Kelly with a brain cramp, I'm really a badger fan

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #104 on: November 15, 2014, 08:58:13 PM »
The Cats did me proud today but they still have ND and Illinois on the schedule.

Down goes Bucky and then ND.  Beating Illinois will complete the trifecta.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2014, 09:32:38 PM »
Only 408? I see - he only played 3 quarters.

Love this kid. Watched him growing up and it's easy to see why Bradford was so good. The other RB on the team will probably be a 1st round pick in the draft as well.

Gordon is an incredible back running behind another stout offensive line.  He's a joy to watch.  The only thing he is missing is true breakaway speed.  But no other holes in his game.  And being an old second string fullback, I love watching a great ground attack.

brandx

« Reply #106 on: November 15, 2014, 09:53:09 PM »
Gordon is an incredible back running behind another stout offensive line.  He's a joy to watch.  The only thing he is missing is true breakaway speed.  But no other holes in his game.  And being an old second string fullback, I love watching a great ground attack.

He's no slouch in the speed department. I expect he will run about 4.4 at the combine. Among the top 5 backs speed-wise.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #107 on: November 15, 2014, 11:18:25 PM »
All I needed was Nebraska to hump Bucky for a perfect Saturday.

TCU win. Check.
Northwestern silencing the echoes.
Alabama screwing up the playoff.

Skitch

• All American
« Reply #108 on: November 16, 2014, 04:31:00 AM »
All I needed was Nebraska to hump Bucky for a perfect Saturday.

TCU win. Check.
Northwestern silencing the echoes.
Alabama screwing up the playoff.

If you're a TCU fan I don't think this worked out well for you at all.  Mississippi state probably doesn't fall past 4th so all Alabama winning does is push TCU down to #5

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #109 on: November 16, 2014, 07:57:31 AM »
If you're a TCU fan I don't think this worked out well for you at all.  Mississippi state probably doesn't fall past 4th so all Alabama winning does is push TCU down to #5

Probably true, but Bama still plays Auburn and Mississippi State still plays @ Ole Miss, so there's a fair chance that one or both take another loss.  TCU's win at least keeps them at 5 and ready to jump back in if 1-4 lose.  FSU and Oregon look like they should win out, making them the most likely bets to stay in for good, IMHO.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #110 on: November 16, 2014, 08:04:25 AM »
Alabama isn't going to lose to Auburn.  If Georgia gets into the SEC Championship Game, that is the upset you need to look for.  Missouri will have to lose one of their last two games for Georgia to get there though. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2014, 03:30:01 PM »
Well, that record didn't last long.  Perine  has 427 yards rushing with 13:00 left in the game

Sheriff

• Starter
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2014, 08:56:14 PM »
A d**k slappin' going on in Indy tonight.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
A d**k slappin' going on in Indy tonight.

As an Indy resident, I can confirm this statement.

Also, Ohio St. beat Wisconsin pretty badly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
My playoff guess.

Oregon v. Ohio State in Rose Bowl.  (Keeps the tradition.)
Alabama v. FSU in Sugar Bowl.

I think the B12 shot itself in the foot with the mealy-mouth "co-championship" despite what their own rules state and the "one true champion" stuff that they themselves promote.  They should have gotten behind Baylor as its conference champion.

http://www.onetruechampion.org/

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2014, 12:33:00 PM »
Gotta love college football. Go for the TV ratings. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #116 on: January 02, 2015, 07:42:07 AM »
I just have to say that having all the big bowl games back on Dec 31/Jan 1 was a stroke of genius.  Outside of the Marquette game, I spent a good portion of both days watching a slate of very entertaining football games.  As much as I love college basketball, it is easy to see why football is king.  Some observations:

**The top of the B10 is as good as any other conference.  The middle and bottom still suck, but Ohio State and Michigan State can play with anyone in the country.  I have a friend who does regional college football writing for Yahoo, and he has harped for years that the reason that the main reason that the B10 has been substandard is due to poor coaching and that OSU's hiring of Urban Meyer was a game changer in that regard.  He is looking that he might be right.

**When Oregon is on, they might be the funnest offense I have seen.  Although I loved watching Georgia Tech and its running game just roll up yards against Mississippi State.  Old school triple option rules.

**The SEC may have gotten a little too enamored with the spread offense.  Those that lost got whipped on the lines by teams running pretty traditional offenses and defenses.  Ebbs and flows of the game are fun to observe over time.

**Barry Alvarez is being paid a lot of taxpayer money to do very little work in his little kingdom over in Madison, but I had to smile at the end of the UW game.  The dude will always be a coach at heart.  Melvin Gordan is the best back I have seen at UW since this string began 20 years ago.  Better than the Heisman winner.

**OSU-35 Oregon-28.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 07:59:33 AM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #117 on: January 02, 2015, 08:13:05 AM »
Big win by the Buckeyes last night...but doesn't change the fact that they should have been playing in the Cotton Bowl.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #118 on: January 02, 2015, 08:26:37 AM »
Big win by the Buckeyes last night...but doesn't change the fact that they should have been playing in the Cotton Bowl.

Eh, not sure how you can make that argument.

But going to 8 teams for the playoffs is the way to go and silly arguments like this won't happen.  This also doesn't mean the Big 10 is now the powerhouse conference and that the SEC is crap.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #119 on: January 02, 2015, 08:30:24 AM »
Eh, not sure how you can make that argument.

But going to 8 teams for the playoffs is the way to go and silly arguments like this won't happen.  This also doesn't mean the Big 10 is now the powerhouse conference and that the SEC is crap.

Based on regular season "body of work," as the committee called it, TCU and Baylor were both better, but Ohio $tate's name got them in.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #120 on: January 02, 2015, 08:31:47 AM »
Based on regular season "body of work," as the committee called it, TCU and Baylor were both better, but Ohio $tate's name got them in.

Ohio State had a better strength of schedule.  So you are wrong on your first part.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2015, 10:40:27 AM »

Ohio State had a better strength of schedule.  So you are wrong on your first part.

OSU's SOS was 44th to TCU's 54th, basically because TCU beat up on Samford instead of Kent State. OSU lost at home to a team that went 7-6. If the committee was truly looking at entire body of work, that bad loss would outweigh the marginal difference in SOS.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2015, 11:43:52 AM »
OSU's SOS was 44th to TCU's 54th, basically because TCU beat up on Samford instead of Kent State. OSU lost at home to a team that went 7-6. If the committee was truly looking at entire body of work, that bad loss would outweigh the marginal difference in SOS.

Can't believe I'm defending tOSU.....that loss came at the beginning of the season, since that they went undefeated and played a tougher conference schedule than either TCU or Baylor.

And tOSU could at least claim a conference championship....TCU and Baylor, not so much
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
Can't believe I'm defending tOSU.....that loss came at the beginning of the season, since that they went undefeated and played a tougher conference schedule than either TCU or Baylor.

And tOSU could at least claim a conference championship....TCU and Baylor, not so much

TCU and Baylor were conference co-champions.

OSU's SOS was marginally better but their one loss was significantly worse.

Bottom line: Ohio State got in because they're Ohio State. Switch their resume with Purdue and TCU or Baylor would be in the playoff. Give TCU or Baylor's resume to Notre Dame and they're in over OSU. It's all about money.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #124 on: January 02, 2015, 01:32:49 PM »
TCU and Baylor were conference co-champions.

And there-in lies half the issue.  If you've got one slot for TCU, Baylor, and OSU it's just easier to put in a legitimate conference champion than pick between two "co-champions"

OSU's SOS was marginally better but their one loss was significantly worse.

OSU's opponents and victories were better than either TCU or Baylor, OSU's loss was worse than Baylor or TCU....kind of washes out.  And I don't care what you say there is a significant difference in playing Samford and playing Kent State.

Bottom line: Ohio State got in because they're Ohio State. Switch their resume with Purdue and TCU or Baylor would be in the playoff. Give TCU or Baylor's resume to Notre Dame and they're in over OSU. It's all about money.

I'm sure the television audience potential comes into play, not naive enough to believe otherwise.  However, to dismiss tOSU as only in because of money is to completely ignore facts....there is a very solid argument for tOSU to be in, you just don't like it.