Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dawson to MU!  (Read 44694 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Dawson to MU!
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2012, 02:38:58 PM »
Do the questions and skepticism expressed here sound eerily familiar to the Durley thread last year?

I hope I'm wrong

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Do the questions and skepticism expressed here sound eerily familiar to the Durley thread last year?

I hope I'm wrong

I think much of that will hinge on Dawson's senior year. Let's not forget that Durley could barely get off the bench as a senior, which undoubtedly hurt his chances here. I have a feeling Dawson will continue to shine, as he has been trending upward in the past few months (Durley's injury and lack of PT had him trending in the opposite direction).

We've been on the kid for awhile, even if he hasn't been a regular Scoop topic before the past couple weeks. Compared to Wilson and Burton, he's a bit more of a longshot, but if you look at Buzz's track record over the past two recruiting classes, he's had good success with two and three star kids. Mayo and Gardner have both been highly successful, while Derrick Wilson earned some PT as well. Only Reggie Smith didn't end up having a role here, though I think it's hard to put that on Buzz as the kid looked like he could play a bit but simply wasn't patient enough to wait for more regular PT.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »
Only Reggie Smith didn't end up having a role here, though I think it's hard to put that on Buzz as the kid looked like he could play a bit but simply wasn't patient enough to wait for more regular PT.

Which is why signing a 3-star may not be the worst thing to happen to Buzz. If he continues to grow as a player, he could be a great veteran presence off the bench his junior and senior year. If he was a top 100 kid, he might not have been as patient and left before then.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2012, 03:05:04 PM »
Which is why signing a 3-star may not be the worst thing to happen to Buzz. If he continues to grow as a player, he could be a great veteran presence off the bench his junior and senior year. If he was a top 100 kid, he might not have been as patient and left before then.

This actually spawns an interesting conversation.

As a coach, you definitely want the most talent you can get. You can figure out how to make them fit later.

However, there is something to the theory "the most talent you can KEEP." It doesn't really do a lot of good to bring in top 100 guys who ride the bench for 2 years and then transfer. Jones, Williams, did that.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2012, 03:07:07 PM »

I hope I'm wrong

It's that history that have led to people's reservations about the kid. It's unfair on him...completely. But not unfair when looking at the program.

Glad he's coming. Hope he pans out great as a player and a person...like all kids. I do like his upside, but, there aren't many guys who MU signs that I get done reading their by-lines that I say I don't like their upside.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »

I hope I'm wrong

Seriously? Durley didn't even play in high school. Dawson averaged 18 10 & 7 and is rated as a 3 star by rivals.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2012, 03:16:42 PM »

As a coach, you definitely want the most talent you can get. You can figure out how to make them fit later.

However, there is something to the theory "the most talent you can KEEP." It doesn't really do a lot of good to bring in top 100 guys who ride the bench for 2 years and then transfer. Jones, Williams, did that.

Except I doubt any kid is going to want to come to MU - or most schools - under the premise of sitting for a couple of years and then becoming "a veteran presence off the bench." The only player I cant think of who's fit that description in the past 10-15 years is Joe Fulce, and his long and winding road to MU + injuries didn't leave him many options.
Most kids, I suspect, would rather play significant minutes at Sam Houston State or Florida Gulf Coast than ride the pines at MU. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Which is why I think most coaches would rather constantly replenish the program with the best players possible, knowing some won't pan out along the way or eventually will transfer out because they're unhappy with playing opportunities.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if Buzz views Dawson as nothing more than a "solid veteran presence off the bench" in a few years, and I'd be even more surprised if Dawson views himself that way. And if that role ultimately seems likely for him, a transfer should not be unexpected.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2012, 03:25:26 PM »
Seriously? Durley didn't even play in high school. Dawson averaged 18 10 & 7 and is rated as a 3 star by rivals.

Believe it or not, Durley was a three star by Rivals also.  Do not ask me how, but he was......

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Aaron-Durley-107284

MtAiryGoldenEagle

• Scholarship Player
    • MU Fanatic
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2012, 03:27:21 PM »

I hope I'm wrong

Dawson, unlike Durley, was a major contributor for his team.

"As a junior this season, the 6'4", 190-pound point guard averaged roughly 18 points, nine assists, six rebounds and three steals for Clovis while leading them to a District 4-5A tournament championship and the Class 5A State Semi-Finals. For his efforts, he was chosen as a  2012 5A All-State First Team selection by the New Mexico High School Coaches Association (http://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/new-mexico-pg-john-dawson-thriving-in-the-desert)."

Knight Commission

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »

That was Mike Deane's philosophy with Krunti Hester's recruitment.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2012, 03:30:25 PM »
Except I doubt any kid is going to want to come to MU - or most schools - under the premise of sitting for a couple of years and then becoming "a veteran presence off the bench." The only player I cant think of who's fit that description in the past 10-15 years is Joe Fulce, and his long and winding road to MU + injuries didn't leave him many options.
Most kids, I suspect, would rather play significant minutes at Sam Houston State or Florida Gulf Coast than ride the pines at MU. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Which is why I think most coaches would rather constantly replenish the program with the best players possible, knowing some won't pan out along the way or eventually will transfer out because they're unhappy with playing opportunities.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that I'd be surprised if Buzz views Dawson as nothing more than a "solid veteran presence off the bench" in a few years, and I'd be even more surprised if Dawson views himself that way. And if that role ultimately seems likely for him, a transfer should not be unexpected.

You're probably right re: current HS seniors.

However, I can think of a lot of guys who were role players for the majority of their MU career. Mo Acker, Cooby, Fulce, Burke, Fitz, John Harris, etc.

Now, these guys all played a lot as upper classmen, but as frosh. and sophs (and transfers), they were role players for most of their career.

With this said, I don't know if you want to try to recruit less talented players so you can stuff them on the bench for a couple of years... but constant transfers might not be the best either.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2012, 03:50:25 PM »
You're probably right re: current HS seniors.

However, I can think of a lot of guys who were role players for the majority of their MU career. Mo Acker, Cooby, Fulce, Burke, Fitz, John Harris, etc.

Now, these guys all played a lot as upper classmen, but as frosh. and sophs (and transfers), they were role players for most of their career.

With this said, I don't know if you want to try to recruit less talented players so you can stuff them on the bench for a couple of years... but constant transfers might not be the best either.

My first thought was Cubillan but didn't realize he played 20 min per as a Frosh including a 20 point outburst against Pitt while shooting 40+ from 3. What was he rated coming in?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2012, 03:54:02 PM »
I think it's a question of honesty. I fully believe Buzz is the kind if coach that will tell someone like Dawson (or Mayo, or Gardner, or Mbao, or Durley) that if he comes in he will have a chance to compete. It won't be easy. It will require hard work. But if you can play, you'll play. Smith and Wilson got starting opportunities as freshmen. Mayo and Blue played significant roles as freshmen. But it's not guaranteed. You have to work on it and deliver, because highly rated recruits like Mellow and Juan or unsung recruits like Mbao won't be handed minutes just because they made it through boot camp.

Some guys want that chance, some want guarantees. If Dawson is willing to put in the work, I'm happy to see him fight for his opportunity.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2012, 03:54:29 PM »
Quick, name 5 McDonald's All-Americans from this past season.

Now, name any JUCO player of the year or JUCO All-American other than the MU guys mentioned above.

So your point is that any player who is not a McDonald's AA is by definition a no-name?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2012, 03:56:21 PM »
There has to be some lure to being on a D-1 program that is on ESPN every game with legit tourney runs. I know a lot of high school kids that were either D-1 or bust. They had no desire playing D-3 or at some small school where half the students don't even know they have a basketball school.

Then again I guess those spots can be filled by walk-ons who push it in practice.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2012, 04:04:03 PM »
First off, welcome to the MU family.

Second, who will play SG if he and Duane ever end up in the same lineup, him or Duane?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2012, 04:06:19 PM »
It seems Brad Autry made a connection with the family, if it works fine, if it does not so be it.  Buzz recruited a few top 100 kids has that worked out like Erik Williams and even Juan
Anderson.  Not every kid will make it, but with 3 highly rated kids coming in, you can take a 3 star, and in 2 years under the guidance of Todd Smith and the coaching, it might
be a great pick-up.  Buzz tried higher ranked kids, they probably all looked at the roster and saw no real playing time.  Kids want to play, I am sure Buzz promised him an opportunity
to start which I would tell every kid coming in, then it is up to the kid to work hard and show he deserves PT time.  Patterson obviously was not interested.
How do we know Patterson was not interested. Buzz may view Dawson as the better player. Patterson was not a top 100 player.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2012, 04:17:32 PM »
Didn't think he was any good, Hope I'M wrong.Nice size and good shot for a PG.
Here's hoping, " Down the Hatch"

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #93 on: September 26, 2012, 04:26:16 PM »
Guess Buzz is starting a trend of recruiting players who's names end with "son."

Jamil Wilson
Derrick Wilson
Juan Anderson
Jamal Ferguson
Garrett Swanson
Duane Wilson
Deonte Burton (ends in "ton" but I'm counting it)
John Dawson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #94 on: September 26, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
How do we know Patterson was not interested. Buzz may view Dawson as the better player. Patterson was not a top 100 player.

Only time will tell about who is better, I know one thing, could Patterson even make the grade at MU?  Crean was oversigned so he found a way to
get rid of him, so maybe he could not even get into MU.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #95 on: September 26, 2012, 04:47:16 PM »
Guess Buzz is starting a trend of recruiting players who's names end with "son."

Jamil Wilson
Derrick Wilson
Juan Anderson
Jamal Ferguson
Garrett Swanson
Duane Wilson
Deonte Burton (ends in "ton" but I'm counting it)
John Dawson

Yeah.  We sure wore out the Jamil, Jamail, Jamal, etc. the last few years.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #96 on: September 26, 2012, 05:14:33 PM »
The Durley comparisons are ridiculous.  Dawson was an all-state player who almost single handedly lead his HS team deep into the tournament last year.  He might be the best player in the state of New Mexico next year.  Yeah, I know...New Mexico...but the guy plays.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #97 on: September 26, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
Yeah.  We sure wore out the Jamil, Jamail, Jamal, etc. the last few years.

It's less fun to talk about since Jamail left. Well, now we have Jameel I guess.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: September 26, 2012, 05:35:23 PM »
He's 6'1" or 6'2" or 6'4"--take your pick.

I'm torn between picking 6'4" or waiting until someone else says he's 6'5".   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #99 on: September 26, 2012, 06:12:54 PM »
Is that with or without shoes on?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback