Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Dawson to MU!  (Read 44686 times)

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
Re: Dawson to MU!
« Reply #100 on: September 26, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
I'm torn between picking 6'4" or waiting until someone else says he's 6'5".   ;)

I saw a report that he has grown to 6'8 since his commitment.

mutrainer71

• Walk-On
« Reply #101 on: September 26, 2012, 06:48:17 PM »
Is this board turning into some weird kind of frat, hazing kids you know little about?  Check this link out and give the young man a chance. 

http://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/new-mexico-pg-john-dawson-thriving-in-the-desert

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2012, 06:50:50 PM »
Is this board turning into some weird kind of frat, hazing kids you know little about?  Check this link out and give the young man a chance. 

They are ignorant because they treat recruiting rankings like the Bible, and then go on to tout Mayo and Gardner as the second coming, but don't understand the irony.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2012, 07:09:36 PM »

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #104 on: September 26, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
So your point is that any player who is not a McDonald's AA is by definition a no-name?

No. My point is that there are very, very few big name players or even somewhat-known players who are playing JUCO basketball. No one heard about Jimmy Butler committing to MU and thought, "Yes! Marquette finally brought in a player with the skills to be an NBA 1st Round pick!"

A player doesn't need to be highly-touted in order to have a great college career.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: September 26, 2012, 09:09:38 PM »
Dawsons Dad said his son had 37 scholly offers from D-1 programs and commited to MU site unseen. Quite the story!

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #106 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:06 PM »
One of the things I suppose a coach looks for are those one or two skills a player can bring to the table and blend them with the talent he has.  Only the top schools get 5-star kids regularly.  So let's speculate that Buzz likes JD's offensive skill set to go along with D. Wilson's 'stopper' capabilities.  (Just an example; no idea if that's actually true.)

Somewhere along the line I read something about a replacement for TJ.  This makes perfect sense especially in that context.  

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #107 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
Dawsons Dad said his son had 37 scholly offers from D-1 programs and commited to MU site unseen. Quite the story!

Which site?  You mean MUSCOOP.com, gomarquette.com, marquette.edu or a different one?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #108 on: September 26, 2012, 09:25:43 PM »
Brew City has a great story on how the recruitment went down.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #109 on: September 26, 2012, 10:01:13 PM »
Brew City has a great story on how the recruitment went down.

.....and we have another listed height!  Brew City article says, "6'5" ".    ;D

http://www.brewcityball.com/forums/content.php?413-John-Dawson-commits-to-Marquette
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #110 on: September 26, 2012, 10:02:29 PM »
He'll be 6'8" by the morning.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #111 on: September 26, 2012, 10:17:23 PM »
38,000 is s small town?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #112 on: September 26, 2012, 10:47:54 PM »
http://future150.com/hs/basketball-profiles/john-dawson-pg-2013

"Sounds like exactly the type of player Buzz likes.  And look on a map to find Clovis and you see why he might be under the radar.

Under the radar is putting it mildly. I had a client in Clovis and to get there, you fly to Albuquerque and drive 4.5 hours east, mostly on two lane roads -- except for maybe the first 45 minutes. The Air Force Base has been on reserve since the last BRAC decisions a few years ago. The big employer in town other than DOD is the BNSF railroad.

Place is best known for the nearby discovery of Clovis Man. Supposedly a 10,000+ year old fossil that was believed for a long time to be the remnants of the first human settlement in North America. Now debunked as older fossils have been found. Otherwise, there's good Mexican food and an OK hotel that primarily serves BNSF crews and military visitors.

Hopefully we'll find out today's Clovis Man is a top-level basketball player.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #113 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:32 PM »

Hopefully we'll find out today's Clovis Man is a top-level basketball player.

Jim Nantz everybody.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #114 on: September 27, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
My comment was directed at those who think that Dawson was somehow "missed" by Kansas, UNC and Duke becuase he's from Clovis NM.   

I don't think he was "missed" by those guys, but you might be surprised by the number of US citizens that genuinely think New Mexico is OUTSIDE of the USA.   Read some of NM Magazine's "One of our 50 is missing" stories...it happens quite a bit to people that live there.  http://www.nmmagazine.com/one-of-our-50-is-missing/

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #115 on: September 27, 2012, 08:28:47 AM »
I'm torn between picking 6'4" or waiting until someone else says he's 6'5".   ;)

Like Jae, we'll probably never really know until he's measured at the NBA draft camp  8-)

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #116 on: September 27, 2012, 08:32:42 AM »
looks a bit like Nick Van Excell (spelling?) on the MU scout page photo.   lets see if he plays that way.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #117 on: September 27, 2012, 08:49:00 AM »
I rather have an improving 3 star than a 4 star that has peaked. All the great players at MU have been the ones that continued to improve in their college careers. Almost all of the flameouts were players that did not improve.

dddawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #118 on: September 27, 2012, 09:45:41 AM »
he's 6'3 and still growing ..... i'm his dad and will tell you that he truly had 37 offers with high majors still calling even though he chose MU.  he didnt just grab the opportunity because he felt it was a one time deal, but because he trusted GOD for his path and was strongly recruited by buzz and brad and who flew out to our home 3 times this month alone and showed him great love from a great program!!! .... just recd 13 calls yesterday from BCS schools that want him to not sign with MU in NOV so that they can get on board.  JohnJohn is EXCITED to be a part of the MU family and so are we!!! .... long way from home ..... lots and lots of hard work .... and is excited to get even better!!! .... i truly believe MU is and will be blessed by his talent .... i'm excited!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: September 27, 2012, 09:51:40 AM »
he's 6'3 and still growing ..... i'm his dad and will tell you that he truly had 37 offers with high majors still calling even though he chose MU.  he didnt just grab the opportunity because he felt it was a one time deal, but because he trusted GOD for his path and was strongly recruited by buzz and brad and who flew out to our home 3 times this month alone and showed him great love from a great program!!! .... just recd 13 calls yesterday from BCS schools that want him to not sign with MU in NOV so that they can get on board.  JohnJohn is EXCITED to be a part of the MU family and so are we!!! .... long way from home ..... lots and lots of hard work .... and is excited to get even better!!! .... i truly believe MU is and will be blessed by his talent .... i'm excited!!!

Welcome to the MU family.

dddawson

• Walk-On
« Reply #120 on: September 27, 2012, 09:56:04 AM »
also ..... buzz and the MU staff have watched several games from this past year including the state playoffs where his high school team knocked off the number one team in the state.   johnjohn knows it wont be a cake walk at MU and that there are no gimmees

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #121 on: September 27, 2012, 10:07:59 AM »
If Jabari Parker lived in Clovis, NM scouts and coaches would do everything short of buying a second home in New Mexico to evaluate and recruit him.

Recall that Alaska is a hell of a lot more remote than New Mexico, yet Mario Chalmers and Carlos Boozer got plenty of attention from the big boys.

We can hope that Buzz is correct in guessing that there is a lot of upside potential in Dawson--but its simply not reasonable to think that the only reason why Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc. missed on him was becuase they couldn't find their way to New Mexico.  

Was it that "Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc." couldn't find their way to New Mexico or that they didn't need to find their way to New Mexico because they filled their needs from the normal sources.  Nobody's claiming the kid is a top 20 guy who every big name school would go for no matter where he was from.  That's why you bringing up Jabari Parker is not a valid comparison.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #122 on: September 27, 2012, 10:09:04 AM »
he's 6'3 and still growing ..... i'm his dad and will tell you that he truly had 37 offers with high majors still calling even though he chose MU.  he didnt just grab the opportunity because he felt it was a one time deal, but because he trusted GOD for his path and was strongly recruited by buzz and brad and who flew out to our home 3 times this month alone and showed him great love from a great program!!! .... just recd 13 calls yesterday from BCS schools that want him to not sign with MU in NOV so that they can get on board.  JohnJohn is EXCITED to be a part of the MU family and so are we!!! .... long way from home ..... lots and lots of hard work .... and is excited to get even better!!! .... i truly believe MU is and will be blessed by his talent .... i'm excited!!!

Good to hear!  I am looking forward to watching him.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #123 on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:18 AM »
REMOVED (Just in case)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 10:34:05 AM by MerrittsMustache »

TheTulsaWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #124 on: September 27, 2012, 10:10:59 AM »
Guys, remember NCAA rules about contact with unsiged recruits and their family.  A message to any parent who has a son or daughter playing college sports -- remember there are crazy posters out there.  You will alway find dumb comments and some comments that are just over the top.  There will be trolls from other schools posing as Marquette fans.  Marquette is fortunate to have three active indepdent fan message board sites.  The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel coverage is weak at best for some reason.  Maquette's Sports Information Office and the student newspaper do a great job online.

FYI, I saw a video with Rev Dawson giving a message of faith.  I enjoyued the message and needed it yesterday.