[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: More Conference Reshuffling Rumors  (Read 9621 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
More Conference Reshuffling Rumors
« on: July 21, 2021, 03:58:48 PM »
Apparently, Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to see if the SEC would be interested in them joining.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: More Conference Reshuffling Rumors
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2021, 04:07:25 PM »
Kansas to the Big East?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2021, 04:10:48 PM »
Apparently, Texas and Oklahoma have reached out to see if the SEC would be interested in them joining.
I am not sure how this helps Texas or Oklahoma in Football. They would be going to a very difficult conference in the SEC. It would also be a downgrade in Basketball as the Big 12 has consistently been one of the Best.

Texas has their own network so the money shouldn't be an issue.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2021, 04:14:43 PM »
Kansas to the Big East?

Long been a pipe dream of mine.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2021, 04:22:07 PM »
I am not sure how this helps Texas or Oklahoma in Football. They would be going to a very difficult conference in the SEC. It would also be a downgrade in Basketball as the Big 12 has consistently been one of the Best.

Texas has their own network so the money shouldn't be an issue.

I don't think money has to be an issue for schools to want more of it.

Also, only half-jokingly, TU is pissed that TAMU has closed the gap on them in football. Recruiting against TAMU has been a lot harder now that TAMU can pitch being in the SEC and playing Bama, LSU, Auburn every season.
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2021, 04:34:43 PM »
I also don't think the Longhorn Network has worked out like Texas thought.  A jump to the SEC significantly increases their revenue and could more than make up for any LHN loss.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2021, 05:01:14 PM »
UT has not done well in their conference in Football for quite a while. I don't understand how jumping up to a Big Boy Football conference will help their cause.

Oklahoma pretty much dominates their conference, so not sure why they want to have to tussle with the SEC guys all year long.

Sometimes be careful what you wish for. Nebraska had a great life in the Big 12, was always in the National Conversation and then joined the Big Ten and is a lower tier team in almost every sport .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »

Also, only half-jokingly, TU is pissed that TAMU has closed the gap on them in football. Recruiting against TAMU has been a lot harder now that TAMU can pitch being in the SEC and playing Bama, LSU, Auburn every season.

You may be half-joking, but that was the very first thought that I had.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2021, 05:18:24 PM »
Sometimes be careful what you wish for. Nebraska had a great life in the Big 12, was always in the National Conversation and then joined the Big Ten and is a lower tier team in almost every sport .

Nebraska fell off as soon as Osborne left.  They hadn't lost less than 3 games or finished in top 10 (or even Top 15) for a decade before they joined the Big 10.  They had a charmed life in the Big 8 years before.  They were no better in the post-Osborne Big 12 years than they were in the B10 during the Pelini years.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2021, 05:40:16 PM »
It takes 4 current SEC schools to block Texas and Oklahoma from joining. Mizzou and Texas A&M are no’s. So they just need two more schools to say no.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2021, 06:05:36 PM »
It takes 4 current SEC schools to block Texas and Oklahoma from joining. Mizzou and Texas A&M are no’s. So they just need two more schools to say no.

I wouldn't guarantee TAMU saying no.
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2021, 06:07:28 PM »
UT has not done well in their conference in Football for quite a while. I don't understand how jumping up to a Big Boy Football conference will help their cause

Because the best players want to play in the SEC, not the B12. And their in state rival has been using that to steal a lot of local talent that TU used to have a monopoly on

Oh and more importantly, money. Nothing else matters
TAMU

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2021, 06:08:56 PM »
$urely thi$ i$n’t a $ure thing.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2021, 06:45:53 PM »
Wouldn’t having a ‘super conf’ be more beneficial in the NIL and hands off NCAA era.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2021, 06:50:28 PM »
Saw on Twitter that OU cannot leave without taking OK St per state legislature.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2021, 06:57:10 PM »
I wouldn't guarantee TAMU saying no.

TAMU AD said they want to be the only team from Texas in the SEC. Kirk Bohls from the Austin American Statesman confirmed in his reporting that both schools would be hard no's.

Things can always change with the right offer,  but memories of how Texas treated the rest of the Big 12 run pretty long.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2021, 07:17:06 PM »
TAMU AD said they want to be the only team from Texas in the SEC. Kirk Bohls from the Austin American Statesman confirmed in his reporting that both schools would be hard no's.

Things can always change with the right offer,  but memories of how Texas treated the rest of the Big 12 run pretty long.

Oh if it was only up to TAMU they would absolutely say no. It may not be up to TAMU
TAMU

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2021, 08:40:09 PM »

This isn’t leaking if it’s a no
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2021, 08:42:04 PM »
Also, it’s been the wet dream of the Big 14 to add Texas, maybe Oklahoma if it had to.  So, I’m a hard yes on this

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2021, 11:59:36 PM »
Because the best players want to play in the SEC, not the B12. And their in state rival has been using that to steal a lot of local talent that TU used to have a monopoly on

Oh and more importantly, money. Nothing else matters

The TAMU play in the SEC Conference explanation works for the past decade, but what about the past 25 years?  Texas has 3 Big 12 Football Titles in the past 25 years. That's 1 more than Nebraska who left in 2010.

$$$.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 12:24:45 AM by shoothoops »

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2021, 01:12:07 AM »
Kansas to the Big East?

Nah. Houston or Cincy, and BYU to the Big 12.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2021, 08:06:22 AM »

And a lot of the players who A&M doesn't get, go to other SEC schools.  The SEC got a foothold into Texas, and that's been problematic for UT.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2021, 08:11:23 AM »
The TAMU play in the SEC Conference explanation works for the past decade, but what about the past 25 years?  Texas has 3 Big 12 Football Titles in the past 25 years. That's 1 more than Nebraska who left in 2010.

$$$.

I didn't say anything about what they have done in the past. I was answering Herman's question about why Texas would think a move to the SEC would benefit them moving forward.
TAMU

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2021, 08:50:11 AM »
I don't think it's a bad idea for OK and Texas to pursue the move.  Purely from a football perspective, the difference between those 2 and the rest of the league is substantial (revenue-wise).

The Big 12 becomes a 8-member league and there would be some attractive candidates to fill the void, particularly from the AAC (Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulsa, etc.)  I'm sure North Dakota State would love the opportunity, too.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2021, 08:53:12 AM »
I don't think it's a bad idea for OK and Texas to pursue the move.  Purely from a football perspective, the difference between those 2 and the rest of the league is substantial (revenue-wise).

The Big 12 becomes a 8-member league and there would be some attractive candidates to fill the void, particularly from the AAC (Memphis, Cincinnati, Tulsa, etc.)  I'm sure North Dakota State would love the opportunity, too.

The more I think about it, the more I like it.  SEC football is already one of the dumbest, wildest things in sports.  This would ratchet things up x 1,000

feedback