collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Laptop vs. Tablet  (Read 9485 times)

Blackhat

• All American
Laptop vs. Tablet
« on: August 05, 2013, 06:33:26 AM »
My trusty old laptop is on its last leg.   Since I'm in the market does it make more sense to get a laptop or tablet with "plug in" keyboard?  Any recommendations??  Thanks.

Blackhat

• All American
Re: Laptop vs. Tablet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
ttt

uncle zeffy

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 10:21:10 AM »
What are you planning on doing with it?

If you are looking to just surf the web, do some basic word processing and light multimedia stuff you will be just fine with a tablet. I use an iPad for all of my MBA classes, its really convenient to have a case with a built in keyboard as I type up class notes.

If you are looking to do more, such as make presentations, heavy word processing, research etc., I would go with a laptop. Laptops are just amazing for doing multiple things at once, such as having a webpage open AND having the word doc open at the same time. Tablets are making a push with this as several androids have this function and iOS7 will add it as well to the iPad, but even in a split screen this can get tiny.

To me I find the tablet to be a compliment to a laptop, not a replacement. If I had to chose one over the other I would get a laptop.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:16 AM »
I have a separate work laptop.    I wasn't sure if the laptop was becoming obsolete with these tablets expanding, they seem pretty enticing for surfing and the like. 

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 11:44:53 AM »
To me I find the tablet to be a compliment to a laptop, not a replacement. If I had to chose one over the other I would get a laptop.

Agreed.  It's decent to have, but prefer having a laptop if I need to do any heavy lifting.

You could probably find a place with a 30 day return policy and give a tablet a shot.  I wouldn't investing in anything but free apps in that scenario, but at least give it a shot.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 11:46:41 AM »
I have a separate work laptop.    I wasn't sure if the laptop was becoming obsolete with these tablets expanding, they seem pretty enticing for surfing and the like.  

In that case, I'd go with a tablet. I'm in the same boat, and the tablet does everything I need it to for non-work things (basically just browsing, some email/facebook and watching netflix).

mueron

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 12:09:58 PM »
I know this is going to sound crazy...but have you ever considered a chromebook? They're light, cheap, can do more than a tablet but not as much as a laptop. Kind of in between. I have a seven inch tablet, a chromebook, and an old hp laptop that only gets used if I need to sync something for my wifes ipod or if I need to do some more robust word processing. My chromebook get a ton of use in the house. It's honestly the best $200 I've spent on a piece of technology.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2013, 12:13:31 PM by mueron »

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 12:33:25 PM »
Tablets are good if you're a girl or 11 years old.

I have laptops and a netbook. The netbook is used when I want something lightweight, but I hate the small keyboard. I bring it to basketball gyms sometimes when I'm watching kids play to type quick notes and/or get on the web/type a few emails while in the gym. Or, if you're running down to a restaurant.. and want to work while there, the netbook is smaller and can be good for limited uses. I'd say the same thing for tablets, except they are more feminine & childish.

If you go to http://latenighthoops.com/shop there is an ad/button for TigerDirect.com. Click on it and find some unreal prices on there.

I'd actually recommend getting both - a reasonably priced tablet or netbook (or the chrome book thingy) and a laptop. You can get both for well under what you'd pay for a new ipad.

But.. if you need to play a certain little game or use Siri or are an 8 yr old girl, a high-priced tablet may be the best option.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 12:50:54 PM »
Tablet trash talk....**it. just. got. real. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »
Tablets are good if you're a girl or 11 years old.

I have laptops and a netbook. The netbook is used when I want something lightweight, but I hate the small keyboard. I bring it to basketball gyms sometimes when I'm watching kids play to type quick notes and/or get on the web/type a few emails while in the gym. Or, if you're running down to a restaurant.. and want to work while there, the netbook is smaller and can be good for limited uses. I'd say the same thing for tablets, except they are more feminine & childish.

If you go to http://latenighthoops.com/shop there is an ad/button for TigerDirect.com. Click on it and find some unreal prices on there.

I'd actually recommend getting both - a reasonably priced tablet or netbook (or the chrome book thingy) and a laptop. You can get both for well under what you'd pay for a new ipad.

But.. if you need to play a certain little game or use Siri or are an 8 yr old girl, a high-priced tablet may be the best option.

They don't even make netbooks anymore. Tablets obliterated that market. So your point is moot.

DavantesInferno

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2013, 07:56:56 PM »
I have the Microsoft Surface and it's pretty nice. The Windows 8 tablets in general are great if you like the form of a tablet but still need various capabilities of a laptop or desktop (USB ports, SD card readers, not restricted to an app store, etc.). I'm a big fan because the size is nice if I'm just surfing the web or checking email but if I need to add something to my ipod or print something, I don't have to switch to a laptop like I would with an iPad. The Surface is a little pricey (but worth it imo) but Asus and Lenovo have some cheaper options available as well.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2013, 08:21:10 PM »
My trusty old laptop is on its last leg.   Since I'm in the market does it make more sense to get a laptop or tablet with "plug in" keyboard?  Any recommendations??  Thanks.

I have both...love the tablet but can't live without the computing power of the laptop.  Read an article yesterday about college students abandoning their tablets for laptops so they can actually get work done. 

http://www.neowin.net/news/survey-college-students-still-want-laptops-over-tablets

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »
They don't even make netbooks anymore. Tablets obliterated that market. So your point is moot.

Your comments are absurd for a couple of reasons.

First, there are plenty of netbooks available for purchase today.

Second, I don't believe you understand the appropriate usage of the word moot.

I assume you created your reply on a tablet.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 09:03:30 AM »
Your comments are absurd for a couple of reasons.

First, there are plenty of netbooks available for purchase today.

Second, I don't believe you understand the appropriate usage of the word moot.

I assume you created your reply on a tablet.

mmmkay...

moot

adjective

of little or no practical value or meaning;

As in, "they don't make netbooks anymore, so your opinion is of little or no practical value or meaning."

You can make an academic argument for a netbook (which I'd like to see), but its a moot point because hardly anyone is manufacturing them anymore.

Just like I could try to make an argument for why a Ford Pinto (the automotive equivalent of a netbook) is the best car to drive. But does that really help someone in the market to buy a new car?

There might be some legacy netbooks floating around that you can purchase. But there's no innovation being spent on them and the market for them has completely collapsed. Most major PC companies have stopped manufacturing them. Its like saying you can buy a VCR or a Playstation 2 or a tube TV. But there's really no reason to buy one. They are just small crappy laptops. And price points on laptops have come down so much that price, which was the original differentiator between the two, is no longer a noticable difference. If you want that form factor, you can buy a decent laptop for $500. Tablets and chromebooks now rule the price point formerly occupied by netbooks. Chromebooks are a decent investment, but its yet to be seen if they have staying power. And you have to live in Google's ecosystem with them.

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-07-16/how-chromebooks-can-escape-the-netbooks-fate

http://channelnomics.com/2012/05/08/confirmed-netbooks-dead/

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2013/01/what_happened_to_netbooks_apple_s_ipad_and_macbook_air_killed_the_400_former.html

http://betanews.com/2011/07/14/media-tablets-kill-netbooks-lift-apple-pc-market-share/

http://www.zdnet.com/emerging-markets-keep-netbooks-relevant-but-barely-7000005299/

http://www.engadget.com/2012/07/08/the-netbook-legacy/

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:13:01 AM by Bleuteaux »

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2013, 10:17:33 AM »
All these different terms drive me nuts and I can't and don't want to keep up. To me there are desk tops, lap tops, tablets and phones. Everything else seems to be a slight mod to those 4.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2013, 10:49:57 PM »
Tablets are toys. 

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:06 AM »
Tablets are toys. 
???
Tablets: quick email response, browsing, reading Scoop, taking notes in a meeting, filling in certain app info that is designed for tablets.

Notebooks:  dissertations (long Scoop responses), spreadsheets, other intense processing needs.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 10:59:07 AM »
Tablets are toys.  

I work in IT in a fortune 500 corporation and tablets and mobile phones are the only devices used by executives at our company. They'd probably disagree with your characterization.

I can also tell you that 5 years from now no one will be using company provided desktops and laptops at our corporation. They will almost all be using tablets (probably future verisons of the Microsoft Surface) that can dock into a monitor and keyboard for working at the office.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 11:06:29 AM »
Get off my lawn.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 11:31:00 AM »
I work in IT in a fortune 500 corporation and tablets and mobile phones are the only devices used by executives at our company. They'd probably disagree with your characterization.

I can also tell you that 5 years from now no one will be using company provided desktops and laptops at our corporation. They will almost all be using tablets (probably future verisons of the Microsoft Surface) that can dock into a monitor and keyboard for working at the office.

I don't believe you re: in 5 years no one will be using company provided laptops. Lies!

Many executives aren't big users, playing with databases, creating big presentations, etc. A tablet or other more mobile device makes sense.

Tablets are good if you wear a skirt and don't need to do work on a computer.

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 12:04:03 PM »
I don't believe you re: in 5 years no one will be using company provided laptops. Lies!

Many executives aren't big users, playing with databases, creating big presentations, etc. A tablet or other more mobile device makes sense.

You don't know how to use a tablet to its full capabilities. Not that surprising seeing as how you actually recommended a netbook.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 12:27:44 PM »
You don't know how to use a tablet to its full capabilities. Not that surprising seeing as how you actually recommended a netbook.

I can without a doubt that in 5 years, I will still need a laptop to perform my job. As will many engineers, graphic designers, CAD techs, etc.

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
I can without a doubt that in 5 years, I will still need a laptop to perform my job. As will many engineers, graphic designers, CAD techs, etc.

Pretty bold of you to predict how far tablets will come in five years, but nonetheless i was referring more to his continuous downplay of tablets to devices only used by women and children. With a few simple add ons its not out of the question that tablets will be just as powerful as laptops in a few years. Whether or not computer manufacturers will want to do this and thus cannibalize a lot of their existing product lines is still up for debate, but its not out of the question.

brandx

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 01:45:47 PM »

I work in a similar situation and totally agree as far as business users are concerned. We will still have a few desktops because of the nature of some jobs (8 hours and done for the day - don't need access away from work).

But for the doubters, Windows 8 is not going away and Windows 9 will build on what Win8 has started. These OS's are optimized for tablets and the trend will continue .

Home users will probably stick with desktop/laptops for a while yet, though. I have no intentions to buy a tablet for home use. Laptop and iPad/iPhone fulfill all needs.

Almost all execs at my company want the mobility of a tablet, and with the cloud, no longer need local server space for storage

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 01:49:03 PM »
Certainly, tablets will have the processing and storage power of laptops someday soon.

It's all about the keyboard.  

Of course, you can add an external keyboard.  Then you have a 2-piece laptop.  Super.  That already exists.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 01:58:17 PM »

As someone that works for a major engineering company and does a ton of technical and finance work(at least I don't work with AutoCAD and Pro-E anymore), I disagree with your statement.  As applications move to the cloud and database servers the need for raw computing power in one place is rapidly disappearing.  We already have Pro-E licenses as a shared capability within our company its not too long before it's a cloud based program you could access from a desk station that your Surface plugs into.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »
Certainly, tablets will have the processing and storage power of laptops someday soon.

It's all about the keyboard.   

Of course, you can add an external keyboard.  Then you have a 2-piece laptop.  Super.  That already exists.

Well a lot of tablet cases now feature built in wireless keyboards. Technically you are right still 2 pieces, but much more portable than current laptops.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 02:16:05 PM »
As someone that works for a major engineering company and does a ton of technical and finance work(at least I don't work with AutoCAD and Pro-E anymore), I disagree with your statement.  As applications move to the cloud and database servers the need for raw computing power in one place is rapidly disappearing.  We already have Pro-E licenses as a shared capability within our company its not too long before it's a cloud based program you could access from a desk station that your Surface plugs into.

This sums it up perfectly. Everything is going to the cloud.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 03:02:04 PM »
I wonder if all this helped the OP any  ;D

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:07 AM »
Well a lot of tablet cases now feature built in wireless keyboards. Technically you are right still 2 pieces, but much more portable than current laptops.

Little itty bitty keyboards for dudes with small d-beaters. Awful.

Unless you're Moses, no man should be using a tablet 100% of the time instead of a laptop or desktop.

It all gets down to needs & preference.

If you need to do real work or real things and you're a man, get a laptop.

If you need only to play crazy birds or whatever, pintrist baking recipes, and you're a female or a sequential hermaphrodite, go with the tablet.

Murphysguy

• Walk-On
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 09:41:05 AM »
Little itty bitty keyboards for dudes with small d-beaters. Awful.

Unless you're Moses, no man should be using a tablet 100% of the time instead of a laptop or desktop.

It all gets down to needs & preference.

If you need to do real work or real things and you're a man, get a laptop.

If you need only to play crazy birds or whatever, pintrist baking recipes, and you're a female or a sequential hermaphrodite, go with the tablet.

Haha keyboards on netbooks are equally as small.... I agree that at this point a tablet is not enough on its own, but as someone who is constantly on the go and does A LOT of air travel, a tablet is extremely convenient. You can throw one in your carry on/briefcase and it takes up as much space as a small book. It allows me to do about 95% of the work I need to get done. To write them off as toys is rather foolish. If you dont travel often I would say a laptop is all you need at this point.

MUBillsTil2017

• Walk-On
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2013, 04:11:38 PM »
I have a separate work laptop.    I wasn't sure if the laptop was becoming obsolete with these tablets expanding, they seem pretty enticing for surfing and the like. 

I also have a work laptop and a tablet for everything else.  Tablet has much better battery life since the power demands are less, for instance no disk drive to spin as all storage is flash memory.  No CD drive to spin either.   Tablet can be made to act like a laptop with a blue tooth keyboard but laptops can't be made to act like tablets, too heavy and the screens aren't touch controlled as tablets are.  My tablet is an Ipad and it has two  major deficiencies over any laptop.  One is the lack of Adobe Flash support, but that is an iOS feature; second is much less permanent storage on the tablet.  For instance my Ipad has 16GB of permanent storage and even the cheapest laptop will have at least 250GB.    This is less of a problem than you'd think since Apple, Google, Amazon  and others offer cloud storage for those huge media files. 

Short of flash, I've yet to hit a webpage or e-commerce site that goes stupid on an Ipad.   For home, I've found the tablet a much better alternative to the laptop. 

augoman

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2013, 04:28:49 PM »
I have 'em all, and recently added a detachable keyboard for my ipad.  Tend to agree, the tablet (at least for me) is used less and less (I take a notebook on trips) and the laptop is used second only to the desktop.  FWIW.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2013, 02:35:55 PM »
I just thought I'd report my experience. Using the iPad 4 and find it a useful for the plane, casual internet browsing and a few pretty helpful apps that are more accessible than on my laptop.

Also just checked and my penis is still intact and have yet to wear a skirt.

For the record I don't think it's a device I "couldn't live without".... just a more convenient form factor for certain tasks... maybe not worth the $900 to some. I also am a heavy user of Excel/PPT for work on my laptop.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 02:37:32 PM by sixstrings03 »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing