[Today at 06:06:48 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 05:33:31 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by BLWarrior91
[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Sam Hurd Arrested  (Read 9544 times)

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
Sam Hurd Arrested
« on: December 15, 2011, 10:52:45 AM »
Not a major contributor to the team. Federal drug charges are serious biz

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/7355706/chicago-bears-sam-hurd-arrested-drug-charges

swoopem

• All American
Re: Sam Hurd Arrested
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 11:02:13 AM »
Doesnt say what drug but my guess is Syrup or Weed
Bring back FFP!!!

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 11:11:11 AM »
Coke.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 11:27:36 AM »
...and pot. Full-service.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 11:37:16 AM »

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »
A federal agent tipster who called into the score said that the feds have a list of names who bought drugs from Sam Hurd.  The number of names reaches double digits.

Hurd was one of the top drug dealers in Chicago.

He was trying to buy 5 to 10 kilos of coke and 1000 lbs of pot EVERY WEEK!?!?!?!?

damuts222

• All American
    • Gangnam makes me loco
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2011, 12:18:59 PM »
Not one player the Bears signed that was on the Cowboys last year has been worth a dime bag.
Twitta Tracka of the Year Award Recipient 2016

T-Bone

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2011, 12:50:20 PM »
Not one player the Bears signed that was on the Cowboys last year has been worth a dime bag.

Two weeks ago:
Roy Williams drops a TD pass, which is then intercepted.

Last week:
Marion Barber fails to get out of bounds and kill the clock to end the game in regulation.
Barber then fumbles on a game winning drive in OT to ultimately lose the game.

This week:
Hurd gets caught buying a load of coke, and happens to have a list of names he sells to.  Surely this will doom the Bears season. 

Thank Jerry "Spawn of Satan" Jones.
I'm like a turtle, sometimes I get run over by a semi.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2011, 12:56:38 PM »
It does make you wonder how much longer Angelo will stay in that position though.  They haven't drafted particularly well, and I think Lovie is a decent coach, but that team is getting pretty long in the tooth on the defensive end.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2011, 02:05:37 PM »
It does make you wonder how much longer Angelo will stay in that position though.  They haven't drafted particularly well, and I think Lovie is a decent coach, but that team is getting pretty long in the tooth on the defensive end.

There's been talk here in Chicago about Angelo possibly retiring after the season.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
A federal agent tipster who called into the score said that the feds have a list of names who bought drugs from Sam Hurd.  The number of names reaches double digits.

Hurd was one of the top drug dealers in Chicago.

He was trying to buy 5 to 10 kilos of coke and 1000 lbs of pot EVERY WEEK!?!?!?!?

Yup.  Using his NFL salary to finance the drug purchases. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »
There's been talk here in Chicago about Angelo possibly retiring after the season.

The problem is that Angelo's retirement may mean that Assistant GM Tim Ruskell would take over and he might be just as incompetent as Angelo.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »
Angelo needs to go but what I really want to happen is the Bears fire Martz or he goes somewhere on his own terms and we get Norv Turner. No matter what his history is as a head coach the guy knows offense and since he is gone from San Diego I think he would be perfect for the Bears. Hopefully Cutler and Rivers conflict has nothing to do with Norv though.
Bring back FFP!!!

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
The problem is that Angelo's retirement may mean that Assistant GM Tim Ruskell would take over and he might be just as incompetent as Angelo.

Agree. I actually think Ruskell is worse. His moves and drafts in Seattle leave much to be desire.

If Angelo does retire, it seems to be the perfect opportunity for new boss George McCaskey to make his own statement on the franchise. However, I don't know if he has the power and/or vision to make that happen. Perhaps MUDish has some insights?

in_lazar_we_trust

• Walk-On
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2011, 02:50:18 PM »
In such an uncertain economy, it sounds like Hurd was just trying to diversify his portfolio.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2011, 03:21:45 PM »
The Hurd stuff...is mind blowing (probably the wrong choice of words, but oh well). What's going to get real bad is when the list of his clients come out. There's "at least" 15 NFL players on that list.

The Angelo/Ruskell dynamic is both interesting and complicated at the same time.

There's a weak rumor that if there's a house cleaning in Tampa, Angelo will go down there to serve in some capacity. I do know that Angelo will not be the GM after the 2012 season. I've heard conflicting things...one side says Angelo wants to go for one last shot and end his tenure on a high note in Chicago, and come back for 2012.  I honestly haven't heard much good/bad/indifferent on Ruskell. The people I know don't see him/talk to him all that often. Ruskell wasn't promised anything as far as when Angelo leaves, that I have heard.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2011, 03:32:30 PM »
off topic a bit...

get rid of angelo, ruskell, phillips... the bears have way too many "front office" people, especially those who aren't football people but are just people with the right connections. the mccaskey's need to prove their competence to the city of chicago. it's sad we have such a loyal fan base, as well as one of the better NFL markets and have to deal with the morons who run the show.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2011, 06:39:29 PM »
The Angelo/Ruskell dynamic is both interesting and complicated at the same time.

There's a weak rumor that if there's a house cleaning in Tampa, Angelo will go down there to serve in some capacity. I do know that Angelo will not be the GM after the 2012 season. I've heard conflicting things...one side says Angelo wants to go for one last shot and end his tenure on a high note in Chicago, and come back for 2012.  I honestly haven't heard much good/bad/indifferent on Ruskell. The people I know don't see him/talk to him all that often. Ruskell wasn't promised anything as far as when Angelo leaves, that I have heard.

Is the end of the Ted Phillips era close as well?

Perhaps I'm reading into things too much, but I thought the move of George to chairman of the board in the spring was significant. It looked to me as the family getting more involved in day-to-day team matters, not just some shuffling of roles within the ranks. My feelings are based on the general media comments about George... That he is the most respected and capable member of the family.

In terms of NFL standards, the Phillips/Angelo/Smith era is quite long-lived. Feels like major changes are coming.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2011, 08:03:05 PM »
The McCaskeys LOVE Ted Phillips, absolutely love him. As long as they own the team, Phillips will have a job. From personal encounters with him, I will say he is a good, modest, and genuine guy.

Once Virginia passes, it'll be interesting to see what happens. Will the family sell their stake to Pat Ryan? Ryan currently owns about a 10% stake, off the top of my head.

George is well respected, but the way the organization is set up, he's more a figure head and face of ownership more than a power player.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:43 PM »
Ryan is in his mid 70's.  Not sure he would want to purchase the team.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 08:41:04 PM »

He'd want to own the Bears, but I'm not sure the McCaskey's or the NFL would want a new owner who's in his 70's.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 09:00:28 PM »
i, for one, would love a "mark cuban" style owner. i dont think the NFL would allow someone of his type though; the NFL seems to be much too conservative for that.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 09:15:43 PM »

He absolutely would buy the Bears, in a heartbeat. 100% confidence in that. Would the family sell, once Virginia passes, is the ultimate question. They would sell to Ryan, and the NFL would approve.

On a completely unrelated note, I've thought for years there should be an AFC team in Chicago.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2011, 07:56:54 AM »
i, for one, would love a "mark cuban" style owner. i dont think the NFL would allow someone of his type though; the NFL seems to be much too conservative for that.

What is a "Mark Cuban style owner?"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2011, 09:42:42 AM »

What is a "Mark Cuban style owner?"

For the NFL, I would think Jerry Jones, minus the meddling in player personnel decisions.

feedback