'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: More Larry Williams Press  (Read 3127 times)

🏀

• All American
More Larry Williams Press
« on: December 12, 2012, 02:24:50 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/69838/marquette-ad-no-fan-of-tulane-addition

Loving the exposure Larry Williams is generating across the Twittersphere right now.

Warriors10

• All American
Re: More Larry Williams Press
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
He used Marquette and elite in the same sentence

Screw him that ND scum.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 02:41:45 PM »

Good for him. I agree with what he is saying.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 02:46:19 PM »
He used Marquette and elite in the same sentence

Screw him that ND scum.

Yeah, what a know-nothing, me-first jerk!  Getting quoted in newspapers, online articles, and on radio shows...NARCISSIST. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 02:48:31 PM »
It is amazing how different it sounds and how logical it sounds with the proper framing.    I listened to the audio and thought he had done a poor job of explaining his point.    When the quotes are framed properly, in the context of how all of the hoops-only schools carve out their niche and move ahead, they work. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 02:58:59 PM »
It is amazing how different it sounds and how logical it sounds with the proper framing.    I listened to the audio and thought he had done a poor job of explaining his point.    When the quotes are framed properly, in the context of how all of the hoops-only schools carve out their niche and move ahead, they work. 

You've stumbled onto the mystery to how "journalists" work.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:10:01 PM »
I haven't seen anything from other Catholic 7 officials.

Larry Williams = Stud of the Catholic 7

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 03:17:10 PM »

Naturally, he was a football player at Notre Dame.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 03:39:13 PM »

Given his arrogance, he's probably going to force the new conference to be named after him.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 03:41:51 PM »
Given his arrogance, he's probably going to force the new conference to be named after him.

The Vintage Ballcap Conference.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 04:08:53 PM »
After stepping back and....reading everything (and listening to some), I'm fine w/everything Larry's saying.

Guy's looking at all options. Just cuz he mentioned one that would blow, does not mean that's the road we are going on. Considering I'm not in the room or in any negotiations, it sounds like MU is actively looking on future options. And by future, I mean the long-term, not the short-term.

madtownwarrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 04:19:15 PM »
Great to see some MU / Larry thought leadership out there.   

shaquilvaine

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 07:49:53 PM »

I'm hearing Larry and Father Pilarz truly leading the decision making process among the C7... Very proactive.  They realize how important this move will be.

JTBMU7

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 08:16:57 PM »
I'm hearing Larry and Father Pilarz truly leading the decision making process among the C7... Very proactive.  They realize how important this move will be.
exactly. you hear him talk about 15-20 years down the road and that's a good thing. most of the moves the BEast and other football conferences made were short term, just get into an BCS/Power conference, expand to XYZ market, without any forethought for the product and what it might look like 10-20 years from now.
LW and the other AD's have a chance to build something based on long term, strategic decisions, instead of knee-jerk reactions to other moves by rival conferences. In addition, this would be the only realignment move that had ANY kind of tradition/common sense built in.
If LW/MU can be out front in leading this, I say go for it.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:30 PM »
Larry might want to do more consensus building on the C7 than ripping new BE members in the press.  I'm not sure exactly who those comments on Tulane are supposed to benefit.

Dear Alumni and Friends of Villanova Athletics:

I know how much you all care about Villanova's athletic programs and how they bring our community together. And, as fans and supporters of the Wildcats, I know that you are all concerned about what the continued realignment of college athletic conferences means for the future of our athletic programs.

We recognize that you have questions and concerns, especially as you see the news that some of our long-standing Big East colleagues are departing for other conferences. The very nature of this realignment only fuels rumors and speculation, much of which is beyond our control. But rest assured that Villanova is engaged and actively doing all that is in our power to protect the best interests of our University and our student athletes.

We are prepared to do whatever is necessary to secure and advance Villanova and our brand. The Big East membership has expressed openness to our insistence to work to further advance the core asset of the Big East Conference--its basketball programs. With Villanova taking a leadership role, the basketball schools are exploring every avenue to do just that.

While the model of athletic conferences continues to change and unique conference paradigms emerge, there will always be a place for elite basketball, and Villanova is steadfastly committed to maintaining a basketball program that competes at the highest level. We have the resources available to ensure that, despite any changes to the conference landscape, our Wildcats will continue to be a nationally competitive program.

In close, I can assure you that a tremendous amount of time, energy and resources from Villanova's Board of Trustees through all levels of University leadership have been focused on this issue for a long time. I wish we were in a position to share more specifics, but in this type of situation that is just not possible. I thank those of you who have been in touch, and while we are not able to respond to all of your inquiries, know that we genuinely appreciate your steadfast support and passion.

As we move forward, our objective remains the same--insuring national prominence for our athletic programs, driven by men's basketball. And we have genuine reasons to be confident. Things may not look the same, but we can absolutely still achieve our goals.

Sincerely,
Vince Nicastro
Director of Athletics

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
Sounds like my original thought.   Option 1 is to not one kick anyone out or disband but the BE basketball schools want some strong basketball programs added.  If no, then Option 2 to take control of the BE Brand & MSG etc. 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 10:39:38 PM »
Larry might want to do more consensus building on the C7 than ripping new BE members in the press.  I'm not sure exactly who those comments on Tulane are supposed to benefit.

I believe fans of the C7 would be in complete agreement that the addition of Tulane to the Big East sucks. I for one, I'm glad to heard that a C7 AD agrees with that assessment.

If the Georgetown AD had come out and made the comments that Larry did, what would be the reaction here? IMO, he would be praised up and down. And conversely, Larry would be criticized as having a late and/or weak response.