'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by 🏀
[Today at 04:02:44 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MuMark
[Today at 02:26:40 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 01:42:55 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous  (Read 32046 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous
« Reply #150 on: March 23, 2018, 10:46:56 AM »
I really, really, really, hope this isn't the case. If Wojo set this up to go off on a fan who wrote a blog post, he's even more thin skinned than I thought. Addressing Sam's health is one thing, attacking a fan is another thing entirely.

He isn't attacking a fan.  He's attacking a blog with 6,000 twitter followers.

So you are wrong...again.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #151 on: March 23, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »

My point is that Wojo wanted that question asked just so he could blast the PT article.  So Homer set it up for him.

And so I actually don't agree with you.  Had Homer for whatever reason, not asked the question, Wojo would have brought it up.
I'm in your camp on this.  Right after the beginning of the show 'pleasantries' it's 5+ minutes of addressing this, no way that wasn't set up. 

Wojo is 100% right to address it and he did a great job. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 23, 2018, 10:51:22 AM »
Wojo probably knew the question was going to be asked so we'll never know, but I don't think that the second that Wojo read the article he immediately was thinking of ways to blast PT.  If Wojo doesn't have a weekly interview with Homer I don't think he takes to twitter or some other medium just to blast PT, he wouldn't have had that kind of agenda. 

No but he knew he had a radio show and knew he wanted it addressed.  The fact that Scott Kuykendall tweeted about it leads me to believe they developed this very strategy yesterday.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 23, 2018, 10:52:29 AM »

PT is an amateur blog. They write for free. The write about the team because....they're fans. They have no impact on the MU program.

Can anyone from PT tell us how many views that page got? I can guarantee it's far fewer than 6,000.

Do you ever get up on the right side of the bed? You're always so angry when someone disagrees with you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 23, 2018, 10:53:19 AM »
I really, really, really, hope this isn't the case. If Wojo set this up to go off on a fan who wrote a blog post, he's even more thin skinned than I thought. Addressing Sam's health is one thing, attacking a fan is another thing entirely.

If the article was "Playing Hauser was risky, with little reward" then Wojo probably doesn't worry about it.

"Dumb and dangerous" coming from someone with limited knowledge of the situation...that has to be addressed.  Otherwise people might start thinking Wojo risks his players health for his own selfish gains. Nip it in the bud, even if very few people believe it at first. Failing to do so is how we end up with flat earthers.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 23, 2018, 10:53:49 AM »
You may be tone deaf. He was basically yelling. You could tell he was mad.

As far as the reach of PT, the tweet with the story in it has 2 retweets, 10 likes, and 7 comments. Not exactly breaking the internet. If the fanbase consisted of 12 people, maybe this could be considered significant. Since the fanbase is a tad bigger than 12, I think it's fair to say that this will have no impact whatsoever.

Defensive yes. "basically yelling" no.
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #156 on: March 23, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »
PT is an amateur blog. They write for free. The write about the team because....they're fans. They have no impact on the MU program.

Can anyone from PT tell us how many views that page got? I can guarantee it's far fewer than 6,000.

Do you ever get up on the right side of the bed? You're always so angry when someone disagrees with you.

There's nothing to disagree with.  You are wrong and failing to see how you are wrong. 

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 23, 2018, 10:54:35 AM »
It is I, the dumb and dangerous one. Appreciate the feedback. I think the problem is the headline, not the actual article.

But the reaction to a post that has barely 1000 reads is pretty funny. I've been called out by the SID on Twitter, told by the Admin to change the headline, and talked about on the radio for 10 minutes. Again, for a column that got less clicks than a an average post. It makes no sense to me.

You all read my stuff, what agenda would you say I promote? (I am lazy in the offseason, so guilty as charged. But ya'll never click on anything but Ryan's transfer tracker anyways.) 

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 23, 2018, 10:56:37 AM »

Didn't everyone blame PT for Embiid not coming here because of something they said on Twitter?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 23, 2018, 10:59:48 AM »

No but he knew he had a radio show and knew he wanted it addressed.  The fact that Scott Kuykendall tweeted about it leads me to believe they developed this very strategy yesterday.
I agree that Wojo knew that it'd come up and planned on how he would address it, but let me throw a hypothetical out there for you.

If PT were to have published this article a week later, so Wojo would have had no scheduled media appearance, do you think he seeks out a reporter or Homer just to blast PT?  I don't think he would have.  I would be willing to bet that the first question on next seasons basketball hour will be about how people are recovering, and he could have addressed it then saying something along the lines of there being a report that Sams health wasn't our #1 priority and that was completely false, but if he were to go running to a reporter just to discredit PT, that would imply IMO that he had an agenda too.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 23, 2018, 11:00:52 AM »
Didn't everyone blame PT for Embiid not coming here because of something they said on Twitter?

That was Anonymous Eagle I believe.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 23, 2018, 11:02:18 AM »

Oh look, genius, only 1,000 clicks on the article. I'd say that probably represents, what, maybe 2% - 3% of the fanbase, conservatively. Looks like you're still more angry than right.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
That was Anonymous Eagle I believe.

That was PT under previous ownership. The people on a different board literally said they would fight Mark when they saw him for saying he would go to Kansas if he was Embiid. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:43 AM »
Oh look, genius, only 1,000 clicks on the article. I'd say that probably represents, what, maybe 2% - 3% of the fanbase, conservatively. Looks like you're still more angry than right.

I think 1,000 is significant.  So no.  You are wrong.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 23, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
WOW.  Good for coach.  That was the most passionate response I've ever heard from him.  Forceful and to the point.

And without being personal and mentioning any names, it was laser beam directed.  I'd advise walking in pairs past the Al going forward. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 23, 2018, 11:04:12 AM »
It was clearly enough to be contacted by the admin.  I agree that this is kinda getting blown out of proportion, but completely understand Wojos response
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 23, 2018, 11:05:51 AM »
His reaction may be warranted in this case. But he also blocked me on Twitter for telling him to learn how to coach defense better. So yeah, coach is a little thin-skinned as well.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:21:13 AM by DienerTime34 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 23, 2018, 11:07:16 AM »
It was clearly enough to be contacted by the admin.  I agree that this is kinda getting blown out of proportion, but completely understand Wojos response

Yep. It’s not just about numbers but who is reading.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 23, 2018, 11:08:03 AM »
That was PT under previous ownership. The people on a different board literally said they would fight Mark when they saw him for saying he would go to Kansas if he was Embiid. 

Lol. Thanks. I remember that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #169 on: March 23, 2018, 11:18:38 AM »

Isn't Social Media also about the ripple effects so now the 1,000 becomes......???
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »
Wojo: "Analytics show Free Throws are the best shot you can get, 3's, layups, contested shots.  Offenses generally will be build around those things."

Having said that, let's hope we start to foul less, and not get crushed in the FT attempts battle.  Let's foul less. 

As for the angry and defensive tone Wojo took to the PT article - he's in bounds to be upset.  Do think it was a little over the top, however.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 23, 2018, 11:33:51 AM »
Isn't Social Media also about the ripple effects so now the 1,000 becomes......???

Not only that but Wojo’s radio show speaks largely to the same audience. It’s not like he went off on an ESPN interview broadcast nationwide.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #172 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:23 AM »
I guess the question is who those thousand are. If it's the most die-hard, superfan types, it's probably not a bad idea to nip it in the bud. Because the same people that listen to the Marquette Basketball Hour are the ones reading PT, AE, and listening to the MU pods.

He knows the audience he is speaking to. It's us.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

PaintTouches

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 23, 2018, 11:45:24 AM »
I guess the question is who those thousand are. If it's the most die-hard, superfan types, it's probably not a bad idea to nip it in the bud. Because the same people that listen to the Marquette Basketball Hour are the ones reading PT, AE, and listening to the MU pods.

He knows the audience he is speaking to. It's us.

My PT insight on the digital MU fanbase:
250 or so that will click on anything at any point in the year
750 or so that are active during the season
1500 or so that are active during March
3000+ that are active during the NCAA Tournament
5K+ that will click on anything bashing Buzz

In general, there has been a pretty large gap from Buzz to Wojo, but mediocre teams for 5 years will do that.

As for Wojo, he declined an interview request for the story.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 23, 2018, 11:47:01 AM »

Here you are again, calling me wrong for having a different opinion than you. I think I am right, so you must be wrong. Not a great argument.

1,000 clicks on a blog isn't even likely to be from 1,000 unique people. You can think that roughly 1,000 people is significant, but in the grand scheme of what that represents of the fanbase or the university community, it's minimal. 

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:49:13 AM by skianth16 »