[Today at 01:25:20 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:22:07 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous  (Read 31999 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: [Paint Touches] Playing Hauser was dumb and dangerous
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
Buzz sure knew message boards and blogs. I had several email exchanges with him over posts on Scoop. He knew what was out there, probably too much so.

cheese ball chaser

• All American
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2018, 09:38:38 AM »
I enjoy it.    When I have more time, I will listen to the rest.    But that was cool     

'misinformed.......   uninformed....  or has an agenda

'Sam's a warrior'

Everyone gets an opinion.... even if they are dumb and dangerous.   

Wojo is aware of the criticism.

"not sure if I'm allowed to say that"

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2018, 09:39:25 AM »
Wojo is amazing for this. Love it.

Totally agree.  What Paint touches implied was extremely classless because they were questioning the integrity of many people, not just Wojo, and there was no basis for their attack.  Happy to see his response and paint touches should be embarrassed. 

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2018, 09:39:49 AM »
I went searching for a GIF capturing the essence of "dumb and dangerous."  In that effort, I was unsuccessful, but in the process, my mad Googling skillz did lead me to something quite educational.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=mootdanga

You're welcome.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GOO

• All American
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2018, 09:43:49 AM »
I don't blame Wojo for being upset.  It calls his integrity into question along with the medical staff.  That means another thing he has to explain to recruits and those looking for a reasons of doubt.  Wojo cares about his players, doctors take an oath and use ethical reasoning about their patients and they have to deal with an article from someone that isn't in the medical profession, didn't interview Sam Hauser, and wildly speculated on what the decision was.

Yes, Wojo should be upset.   A chance for the publication and author to admit they screwed up.
This is dead on.  For those of us with professional careers, where trust and perception matter, it can be really frustrating having someone question one's integrity based upon bad info or bad speculation.  He probably deals with enough made up stuff by other coach's without other speculation.  If Wojo is upset, he should be, and he should be in order to stand up for his program, his doctors, his staff, his trainers, etc.  Part of his job, even if it isn't a major newspaper article, is to represent and in this case defend the program. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2018, 10:03:25 AM »
I do not think it was dumb or dangerous to play Sam, just think an extra month to get ready for next season made more sense.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2018, 10:09:47 AM »
Wojo not responding would have been dumb and dangerous.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2018, 10:10:56 AM »
This is so wrong. Coaches are aware of everything and anything. As well they should be.

There's a difference between being aware of something and responding to it in an interview or on some other platform. No offense to the PT crew here, but they're just amateur bloggers, fans that care enough to spend some time researching and writing about the team. I'm all for a coach or a player giving a friendly nod to these kind of pages, but to call them out is rare for a coach. I mean, he called the guys lazy for crying out loud. There are better ways to handle it than he did. He was super defensive, practically yelling for the full discussion about Sam.

I still think many of the people who think Wojo is the man for sticking it to the PT guys would balk at any other coach criticizing a blog post written by a fan.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2018, 10:14:28 AM »
There's a difference between being aware of something and responding to it in an interview or on some other platform. No offense to the PT crew here, but they're just amateur bloggers, fans that care enough to spend some time researching and writing about the team. I'm all for a coach or a player giving a friendly nod to these kind of pages, but to call them out is rare for a coach. I mean, he called the guys lazy for crying out loud. There are better ways to handle it than he did. He was super defensive, practically yelling for the full discussion about Sam.

I still think many of the people who think Wojo is the man for sticking it to the PT guys would balk at any other coach criticizing a blog post written by a fan.

I called Wojo out for his response to a perfectly reasonable question by a student reporter during a press conference.

I applaud Wojo for vocally sticking up for the integrity of his coaching staff (including himself), his medical staff and his trainers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2018, 10:15:56 AM »
Wojo not responding would have been dumb and dangerous.

Realistically, do you think any recruits read that story? Do you think any donor read it or was swayed by it? Do you really think that a blog post, written by a fan, ultimately will have any impact on the MU basketball program? We, as fans, eat this stuff up. Anything written about the team makes for a fun read, but this isn't a cover story in the JS. It's a blog post. An opinion piece. This is being blown out of proportion.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2018, 10:18:27 AM »

You may see PT thay way, but a throng of MU fans look at them as expert sources on the program. So if people start believing something because they write it, and WOJO thinks it's a problem, he has to stick up for his side of the story.

Yes it's rare for them to call out a blog like this. It's also rare for them to blast so caustically a health decision. So this is the rare example.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2018, 10:19:56 AM »
I called Wojo out for his response to a perfectly reasonable question by a student reporter during a press conference.

I applaud Wojo for vocally sticking up for the integrity of his coaching staff (including himself), his medical staff and his trainers.

+1

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2018, 10:20:31 AM »

He should stick up for his staff and the doctors. But it should be done in a better way. I think his talking points were good. I think mentioning that the Hauser family and Sam were at the top of his priority list is important to note. But I think the angry, defensive tone and specifically calling out the PT post is over the top and is beneath a head coach of a major program.

If he would have taken the approach of saying that he knows some people may be concerned that Sam playing could cause further injury but the docs gave the OK, that's much different to me. I think Calipari does a great job of this when it comes to addressing criticism. Acknowledging the intent of the criticism - wanting Sam to be healthy - and then explaining the decision making comes across much better.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2018, 10:22:34 AM »
Realistically, do you think any recruits read that story? Do you think any donor read it or was swayed by it? Do you really think that a blog post, written by a fan, ultimately will have any impact on the MU basketball program? We, as fans, eat this stuff up. Anything written about the team makes for a fun read, but this isn't a cover story in the JS. It's a blog post. An opinion piece. This is being blown out of proportion.
To be fair, Homer did ask specifically about Sam's hip.  If they had gone the entire hour without talking about Sam's injury and surgery I don't think Wojo brings it up. 

To answer your question, no, I don't think it will have any impact on recruiting, and any impact on the program as a whole would be marginal at best, but Wojo standing up for his staff when they don't really have much of a platform to stand up for themselves is the right thing to do.  This is the off season, mountains are made of mole hills, its what happens.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2018, 10:24:33 AM »
He should stick up for his staff and the doctors. But it should be done in a better way. I think his talking points were good. I think mentioning that the Hauser family and Sam were at the top of his priority list is important to note. But I think the angry, defensive tone and specifically calling out the PT post is over the top and is beneath a head coach of a major program.

If he would have taken the approach of saying that he knows some people may be concerned that Sam playing could cause further injury but the docs gave the OK, that's much different to me. I think Calipari does a great job of this when it comes to addressing criticism. Acknowledging the intent of the criticism - wanting Sam to be healthy - and then explaining the decision making comes across much better.
He comes off pretty classless when he won't shake the opposing teams hands.  Even Crean would do the blowby
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:09 AM »

You're wrong.  His tone was not defensive in the least.  He laid out what Marquette did in a very straight-forward manner.  And you are also completely wrong about Paint Touches being some sort of fringe site.  A significant portion of the fanbase pays attention to it.

And frankly I am disappointed that PT is now retweeting it and trolling for more page views.  If that's what the site is going to become...f*ck it...I'll find my Marquette news elsewhere.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2018, 10:27:41 AM »
To be fair, Homer did ask specifically about Sam's hip.  If they had gone the entire hour without talking about Sam's injury and surgery I don't think Wojo brings it up. 

It was pretty obvious to me that Homer was asked to bring up Sam's hip. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »

It was pretty obvious to me that Homer was asked to bring up Sam's hip. 
My point was that Wojo didn't just bring it up out of the blue just so he could blast PT. If for whatever reason Homer wasn't asked to ask about it and they spend the entire hour talking about what AR means to the program and the growth of the Freshman and other stuff that you could talk about in a end of season review Wojo probably wouldn't have mentioned Sam's hip at all.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2018, 10:38:19 AM »
You're wrong.  His tone was not defensive in the least.  He laid out what Marquette did in a very straight-forward manner.  And you are also completely wrong about Paint Touches being some sort of fringe site.  A significant portion of the fanbase pays attention to it.

And frankly I am disappointed that PT is now retweeting it and trolling for more page views.  If that's what the site is going to become...f*ck it...I'll find my Marquette news elsewhere.

+1 .. although I do think Wojo was (properly) being defensive.

Paint Touches should either remove their post, or add an addendum:  OOPS, NEVER MIND, we were talking out of our asses.

mujivitz06

• Team Captain
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »

I think his indignant tone is much better. I can relate to it and empathize.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #145 on: March 23, 2018, 10:40:03 AM »
My point was that Wojo didn't just bring it up out of the blue just so he could blast PT. If for whatever reason Homer wasn't asked to ask about it and they spend the entire hour talking about what AR means to the program and the growth of the Freshman and other stuff that you could talk about in a end of season review Wojo probably wouldn't have mentioned Sam's hip at all.

My point is that Wojo wanted that question asked just so he could blast the PT article.  So Homer set it up for him.

And so I actually don't agree with you.  Had Homer for whatever reason, not asked the question, Wojo would have brought it up.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #146 on: March 23, 2018, 10:41:05 AM »

You may be tone deaf. He was basically yelling. You could tell he was mad.

As far as the reach of PT, the tweet with the story in it has 2 retweets, 10 likes, and 7 comments. Not exactly breaking the internet. If the fanbase consisted of 12 people, maybe this could be considered significant. Since the fanbase is a tad bigger than 12, I think it's fair to say that this will have no impact whatsoever.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #147 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:01 AM »

My point is that Wojo wanted that question asked just so he could blast the PT article.  So Homer set it up for him.

And so I actually don't agree with you.  Had Homer for whatever reason, not asked the question, Wojo would have brought it up.

I really, really, really, hope this isn't the case. If Wojo set this up to go off on a fan who wrote a blog post, he's even more thin skinned than I thought. Addressing Sam's health is one thing, attacking a fan is another thing entirely.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #148 on: March 23, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
You may be tone deaf. He was basically yelling. You could tell he was mad. 

I didn't say he wasn't mad.  I said he wasn't defensive.

As far as the reach of PT, the tweet with the story in it has 2 retweets, 10 likes, and 7 comments. Not exactly breaking the internet. If the fanbase consisted of 12 people, maybe this could be considered significant. Since the fanbase is a tad bigger than 12, I think it's fair to say that this will have no impact whatsoever.

Again, you don't realize the impact.  PT has a pretty significant following among the fanbase.

But keep being wrong.  You're wrong a lot.  You should be used to it.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #149 on: March 23, 2018, 10:45:27 AM »

Wojo probably knew the question was going to be asked so we'll never know, but I don't think that the second that Wojo read the article he immediately was thinking of ways to blast PT.  If Wojo doesn't have a weekly interview with Homer I don't think he takes to twitter or some other medium just to blast PT, he wouldn't have had that kind of agenda.