Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 03:44:19 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Latest on Dorian Finney-Smith  (Read 34037 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Latest on Dorian Finney-Smith
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 05:09:26 PM »
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:13:48 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 05:52:31 PM »
Does Davante know him? Did they play each other?
SS Marquette

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
We're a longshot, but, except for maybe a local kid (Novak?), we haven't even been mentioned in this kind of "final 5" since Al.

What about Trotter and Rivers? Last I checked, those weren't Al's recruits, and they didn't just have us in their final 5, they picked Marquette. Certainly bigger gets than Novak was.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 06:19:53 PM »

Iman Schumpert is another...and does Kris Dunn count?

Schumpert came down to Geogia Tech and us. Georgia Tech is not in the same league as Texas, Louisvlle, Florida and Ohio St. Didn't Dunn end up at Providence?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2012, 06:22:15 PM »
That is simply not true. http://www.slamonline.com/online/college-hs/high-school/2010/10/quincy-miller-diary-no-2/

Duke and Louisvlle are bluebloods. Oklahoma and Baylor (where he ended up) are a notch down.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2012, 06:32:51 PM »
Schumpert came down to Geogia Tech and us. Georgia Tech is not in the same league as Texas, Louisvlle, Florida and Ohio St. Didn't Dunn end up at Providence?

Schumpert also looked at North Carolina.  Dunn was UConn.

However, I misunderstood the statement so I brought up bad examples.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 06:57:19 PM »
Duke and Louisvlle are bluebloods. Oklahoma and Baylor (where he ended up) are a notch down.

I obviously agree with you, but my point was more that we have been in on high level recruits in the recent past and have just struck out on them.

And I'm too young to know, but did Al even recruit the same type of kids that UNC, UCLA, and Indiana were going after back then? I wonder if he ever really did beat out those schools in recruiting.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 07:55:21 PM »
For Dean Meminger, Earl Tatum, Butch Lee, Bernard Toone and maybe Bo Ellis he had to beat out the biggies.  Older posters could tell us about the recruiting of George Thompson, Jim Chones and Larry McNiell and who they chose MU over.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

SaintPaulWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 08:11:23 PM »
What about Trotter and Rivers? Last I checked, those weren't Al's recruits, and they didn't just have us in their final 5, they picked Marquette. Certainly bigger gets than Novak was.

Doc and Kerry were McD's All American.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 08:13:39 PM by SaintPaulWarrior »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:38 PM »
Pretty sure we took out Michigan State for Chones. At least that was the windbreaker he was wearing during freshman week in 1969.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:52 PM »
We're a longshot, but, except for maybe a local kid (Novak?), we haven't even been mentioned in this kind of "final 5" since Al.

Hello, Vander Blue.

Final five; UCLA, Arizonia, Florida, Tennessee, MU.

Wasn't MU in the final five on Luol Dieng?  Besides Duke, there must have been some other biggies in there.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2012, 09:12:33 PM »
Hello, Vander Blue.

Final five; UCLA, Arizonia, Florida, Tennessee, MU.

Wasn't MU in the final five on Luol Dieng?  Besides Duke, there must have been some other biggies in there.

UW didn't make his final 5?

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2012, 09:14:15 PM »
On his final 5... http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/05/21/dorian-finney-smith-cuts-list-to-five/

Dorian Finney-Smith Cuts List to Five
BY ADAM ZAGORIA ON MAY 21, 2012, 2:44PM

Virginia Tech transfer Dorian Finney-Smith has trimmed his list to five schools.

“Florida, Louisville, Texas, Marquette and Ohio State,” his mother, Desiree Finney told SNY.tv Monday afternoon.

No visits are currently set but after the current dead period ends, Finney-Smith plans to begin taking visits.

“What I’m going to to now is I’m going to get with the coaches and see how we’re going to do that,” she said. “We’re going to start some visits at the end of the month.”

An ACC all-freshman team member in 2012, Finney-Smith averaged 6.3 points and 7.0 rebounds as a freshman. He started 30 of 33 games.

The 6-foot-8 small forward from Portsmouth, Va., opted to transfer after coach Seth Greenberg was fired.

It's nice to be in the final five, particularly since it wasn't necessary to be in the final seven to make the final five.  It looks like ultimatewarrior's news that Dorian was going to pare the list to three came to pass, then two more schools (Ohio State and Louisville) popped up.  I guess Louisville isn't certain that Rodney Hood is coming their way.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »

I don't remember the finalists for Trotter, but with Doc Rivers we beat out DePaul.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2012, 11:58:10 PM »
It's nice to be in the final five, particularly since it wasn't necessary to be in the final seven to make the final five.  It looks like ultimatewarrior's news that Dorian was going to pare the list to three came to pass, then two more schools (Ohio State and Louisville) popped up.  I guess Louisville isn't certain that Rodney Hood is coming their way.
His mother did say 3 but then later said 5. Anyone care to look into how many scholarships these teams have available? I know Florida had one and would prefer to have Damontre Harris as he is a better fit.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58:59 AM »
Doesn't look like Harris has much interest in MU anymore according to this link  VVV

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/58819/damontre-harris-down-to-florida-kansas

It's an old article so things may have changed.  He would be an excellent defensive fit though his high school coach appears to be steering him away.

Any of these transfers we're in on or a guy like Wainwright would be fantastic gets... that's if they can meet MU's new and improved academic standards that is.

noblewarrior

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2012, 07:19:38 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruitingon-the-trail/post?id=1655&_slug_=pg-stevie-clark-might-graduate-early&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fncbrecruitingon-the-trail%2fpost%3fid%3d1655%26_slug_%3dpg-stevie-clark-might-graduate-early

^^^

Look who may be reclassifying for 2012... scoring PG anyone?...  I know MU has been in on Clark since he was a freshman or so and if D Wilson is more of a natural combo an additional ball handler my be a good fit... then look for a front court player for the remaining 2013 scolly (if there is one remaining).   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 07:23:48 AM by noblewarrior »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2012, 08:00:31 AM »
http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecruitingon-the-trail/post?id=1655&_slug_=pg-stevie-clark-might-graduate-early&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fblog%2fncbrecruitingon-the-trail%2fpost%3fid%3d1655%26_slug_%3dpg-stevie-clark-might-graduate-early

^^^

Look who may be reclassifying for 2012... scoring PG anyone?...  I know MU has been in on Clark since he was a freshman or so and if D Wilson is more of a natural combo an additional ball handler my be a good fit... then look for a front court player for the remaining 2013 scolly (if there is one remaining).   

Clark would be a great add, especially this late in the recruiting game. Not sure how strong our interest is, but I remember his mom tweeting at some MU assistants (either Aki or Benford) that they should tell Buzz to come check her son out when Clark was dropping monster statlines. As I recall, very smart kid and a religious family, Marquette seems like a perfect fit, and his mom seems to think so too.

I don't know how ready he'd be for Big East basketball, with his small frame, but I'd love to see some competition behind Junior at the 1, and it'd also put pressure on Duane Wilson next year, which I think is a great way to ensure that these guys are giving everything they have. Would also love the ability to have a legitimate 2-PG attack, it worked very well with Cooby and Acker. Still think another big is our most pressing need, but I certainly wouldn't complain if Stevie Clark fell into our lap.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2012, 08:08:38 AM »
Clark would be a great add, especially this late in the recruiting game. Not sure how strong our interest is, but I remember his mom tweeting at some MU assistants (either Aki or Benford) that they should tell Buzz to come check her son out when Clark was dropping monster statlines. As I recall, very smart kid and a religious family, Marquette seems like a perfect fit, and his mom seems to think so too.

I don't know how ready he'd be for Big East basketball, with his small frame, but I'd love to see some competition behind Junior at the 1, and it'd also put pressure on Duane Wilson next year, which I think is a great way to ensure that these guys are giving everything they have. Would also love the ability to have a legitimate 2-PG attack, it worked very well with Cooby and Acker. Still think another big is our most pressing need, but I certainly wouldn't complain if Stevie Clark fell into our lap.

A quick kid who can shoot and will probably grow?  yes please.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2012, 02:32:05 PM »
AND he has a 4.0? Yikes!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2012, 04:59:31 PM »
I assume his family has interest in MU. After I started following Stevie on twitter his mom started following me.

THEultimateWARRIOR

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
I would assume Clark goes to either Louisville or UCONN would love to have him aboard though.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2012, 07:43:01 PM »
I would assume Clark goes to either Louisville or UCONN would love to have him aboard though.

UConn would take anyone with a pulse that actually played HS ball. If Oklahoma has room, that'll likely be his first choice. If they don't have room, who knows where he ends up? Pretty sure Louisville would have to run someone else off to take him (though it's been done there before). From what I've read of Clark, my guess is he'll go somewhere that doesn't have to force an opening. I could be wrong, but I really don't think forcing his way in would jive with the way he and his mother have conducted themselves. They seem classier and possessed of more integrity than that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2012, 07:49:54 PM »
Don't we have a pg coming in 2013 with another on the roster?  Not exactly sure where clark would fit.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2012, 08:53:30 PM »
Don't we have a pg coming in 2013 with another on the roster?  Not exactly sure where clark would fit.

Buzz said that he wants a roster with 3 PGs, 3 Cs, and the rest switchables. For 2012-13, we have 2 PGs (Junior and DW). For 2013-14, we have 2 PGs (DW and DW). In both years we're one short of his ideal. If Clark came in this year, that would also spread the 3 perfectly over 3 years.

Granted, it doesn't fix the C problem, but one step at a time, right?