'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[Today at 08:48:19 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Best recruit to get away from us  (Read 17606 times)

MUMac

• All American
Re: Best recruit to get away from us
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2012, 07:32:30 AM »
The only recruit Al personally failed to get, Brian Winters.

Yeah, forever, I am old.

And Tom McMillan

Goose

• All American
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2012, 07:53:08 AM »
Ironically Brian Winters ended up living several houses away from when I was in high school during his Milwaukee Bucks day. He really was a great guy and shot a ton of hoops with me and our buddies.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2012, 08:43:38 AM »
Was Marquette even recruiting Scheyer? If so I am so happy we didnt get him. The kid was as dumb as a rock and was really arrogant and stuck up. Very anti Buzz. He was all about himself.

While Buzz does an excellent job of instilling the important of team in his players and spreading that message throughout the program, Buzz is not personally lacking in the confidence department.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2012, 08:46:39 AM »
I never heard that Szcerbiak was interested in MU.    Storytime.   What happened?

Wally was interested. More importantly, Wally's dad, Walt Sczerbiak was interested.

However, Mike Deane did not reciprocate. If I remember accurately, the story was Deane didn't think that Wally was a D-I caliber player.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
Was Marquette even recruiting Scheyer? If so I am so happy we didnt get him. The kid was as dumb as a rock and was really arrogant and stuck up. Very anti Buzz. He was all about himself.

Tom Crean offered Scheyer when he was IN THE EIGHTH GRADE. Scheyer is from Northbrook, IL and went to MU summer camp. He is not dumb at all, I don't know where you would get that.
We Are Marquette

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2012, 08:58:15 AM »
You're Sh*ttin' me.  We did not offer John Shurna.  In HS, he was a slow nobody.

John Shurna went to Glenbard West in west suburban Glen Ellyn. GW is in the West Suburban Conference so he played against the Provisos and Oak Park-River Forest and Iman Shumpert. Shurna did very, very well against top high school competition. He was tall, athletic, could shoot. He is from a good family and is a good student and a good kid. Marquette would have been very fortunate to have him. He was a good recruit who has a chance of getting drafted in June.

Story goes that Shurna was turned off on an MU recruiting trip, but was originally interested. That's just the way the story was told to me.
We Are Marquette

MUViking

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2012, 09:19:53 AM »
Recently, Nick Fazekas was a tough loss.  He would have been here had Crean not insisted he have foot surgery ahead of time (foot condition made him prone to foot breaks).  Never had a problem with them at Nevada and ended up being an early second round pick.  Averaged 22 and 10 his final year at Nevada.  He would overlapped with the 3 Amigos.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2012, 09:58:51 AM »
The biggest loss by far to keep the program going under Hank was the Scooter McCray situation.  That year MU recruited Michael Wilson, Artie Green, Dean Marquardt and Sam Worthen.
Toone was still here so they had the making of an ongoing elite program.  Hank told Mark Aquirre sorry as we wanted to come to MU with Skip Dillard and MU already had enough better guards but Louey scooped in with alot of money, so long to Scooter and Rodney and basically from there it has never been the same.

MU would have had a starting line-up of Toone, McCray, Marquardt, Wilson and Worthen, pretty strong team!

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2012, 10:04:04 AM »
LeDaryl Billingsley...

...kidding. But when I was at MU and he ditched us for Tulane, it was huge at the time.

I googled him and saw I LinkedIn that he works in HR for City Colleges of Chicago.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2012, 10:12:21 AM »
John Shurna went to Glenbard West in west suburban Glen Ellyn. GW is in the West Suburban Conference so he played against the Provisos and Oak Park-River Forest and Iman Shumpert. Shurna did very, very well against top high school competition. He was tall, athletic, could shoot. He is from a good family and is a good student and a good kid. Marquette would have been very fortunate to have him. He was a good recruit who has a chance of getting drafted in June.

Story goes that Shurna was turned off on an MU recruiting trip, but was originally interested. That's just the way the story was told to me.

I'll be shocked if he gets drafted.  He's too slow to guard anyone and his quirky shot will get stuffed back in his face repeatedly at a higher level.  Great college player, great potential European career.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2012, 10:27:18 AM »
The biggest loss by far to keep the program going under Hank was the Scooter McCray situation.  That year MU recruited Michael Wilson, Artie Green, Dean Marquardt and Sam Worthen.
Toone was still here so they had the making of an ongoing elite program.  Hank told Mark Aquirre sorry as we wanted to come to MU with Skip Dillard and MU already had enough better guards but Louey scooped in with alot of money, so long to Scooter and Rodney and basically from there it has never been the same.

MU would have had a starting line-up of Toone, McCray, Marquardt, Wilson and Worthen, pretty strong team!

Rick Majerus used to tell a pretty funny story on how we lost Scooter.  Supposedly when Rick checked in with him at curfew time he caught Scooter polishing the bayonet.  The kid was embarrassed and decided to take his talents elsewhere.  Not sure if the story is true, but it is funny.

Wolf might have been our biggest ls since it really sent the program in a different direction.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #61 on: April 23, 2012, 10:35:30 AM »
Rick Majerus used to tell a pretty funny story on how we lost Scooter.  Supposedly when Rick checked in with him at curfew time he caught Scooter polishing the bayonet.  The kid was embarrassed and decided to take his talents elsewhere.  Not sure if the story is true, but it is funny.

Wolf might have been our biggest ls since it really sent the program in a different direction.

Agreed, both game changers, add Ricky Olson for Rick plus Gary Springer and Billy Varner and Rick might have lasted.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: April 23, 2012, 10:46:12 AM »
Ricky Olsen...was thinking about him last night. Rick thought he had him and was big letdown for him

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: April 23, 2012, 10:50:03 AM »

Shurna was most definitely an underrated prospect. He put up great high school numbers but wasn't that heavily recruited. The rap was that he wasn't athletic enough, but he put that to rest at the Illinois State Tounament his senior year when he became the first player ever to win BOTH the 3 point shooting and the dunk contests. I think by that time he had already picked Northwestern over mostly mid majors. His Dad is a friend of mine and he told me he was being very lightly recruited by MU - almost positive we never offered, much to his Dad's chagrin.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2012, 10:57:08 AM »
Shurna was most definitely an underrated prospect. He put up great high school numbers but wasn't that heavily recruited. The rap was that he wasn't athletic enough, but he put that to rest at the Illinois State Tounament his senior year when he became the first player ever to win BOTH the 3 point shooting and the dunk contests. I think by that time he had already picked Northwestern over mostly mid majors. His Dad is a friend of mine and he told me he was being very lightly recruited by MU - almost positive we never offered, much to his Dad's chagrin.

Crowder, Wilson and Shurna would have been pretty good

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2012, 11:49:44 AM »
Of the great players we actually had a shot at getting, it's Aguirre, hands down. Even if he didn't bring anyone else with him, he would have been incredible to have. Assuming that at least another stud or three would have followed, it was real tough to see him go to DePaul.

Several others mentioned are also good choices. I remember the Joe Wolf recruitment all too well and none too fondly!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:27 AM »
Aguirre hurt because he verbally told Al he was coming. After Al's departure DePaul had a run based off of Al hitting the bricks.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:30 AM »
Didn't see Rocket Rod Foster listed. Hank and Rick were in on a slew of eventual studs but they could never close the deals. A history lesson that our new Admin hopefully considers as that was the start of the slide.  

warthog-driver

• All American
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »

I heard that same story though with the twist that Rick visited the McCray home and Mom told Rick to just go on up. He walks in to find Scooter playing trombone...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2012, 11:58:08 AM »
Well based on Rick's reported persona you would have thought marriage made in heaven.

PJDunn

• All American
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2012, 12:29:46 PM »
I heard that same story though with the twist that Rick visited the McCray home and Mom told Rick to just go on up. He walks in to find Scooter playing trombone...

If two Seattlites hear reasonably similar versions of the same rumor it must be factual.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2012, 12:35:28 PM »
Tom Crean offered Scheyer when he was IN THE EIGHTH GRADE. Scheyer is from Northbrook, IL and went to MU summer camp. He is not dumb at all, I don't know where you would get that.

Its because I actually know the kid. My dad coached against him in High school and I knew one of his sisters friends. She said he was not intelligent at all. Being from Northbrook just means you have money.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2012, 01:07:03 PM »
Recently, Nick Fazekas was a tough loss.  He would have been here had Crean not insisted he have foot surgery ahead of time (foot condition made him prone to foot breaks).  Never had a problem with them at Nevada and ended up being an early second round pick.  Averaged 22 and 10 his final year at Nevada.  He would overlapped with the 3 Amigos.

Beat me to it.
2006 lineup would have been James-McNeal-Matthews/Chapman-Novak-Fazekas.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2012, 01:09:59 PM »
Its because I actually know the kid. My dad coached against him in High school and I knew one of his sisters friends. She said he was not intelligent at all. Being from Northbrook just means you have money.

You know his sister's friend?
That pretty much makes you and Scheyer best buds.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »

Scheyer, as a Duke undergrad, made the ACC Academic Honor Roll.  Not saying one of his sister's friends doesn't think he's an idiot, but he did get at least a 3.0 at Duke.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:22:55 PM by WI_inferiority_complexes »