[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crean may have done it  (Read 17042 times)

karavotsos

• All American
Re: Crean may have done it
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2010, 08:51:56 PM »
"This aggression will not stand."

G.B. I

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
If, for some reason, he keeps underachieving at IU. How long do you think it would take for IU to give him the boot?
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2010, 09:04:34 PM »
I agree.  Let's face it, the guy won about 25 games a year at MU and always double digit wins in the Big East with the talent he got to MU.  More than likely, he will get better talent (long term) at IU as the stain of the scandal is further and further away.  With more talent, I'd be hard pressed to not see him win at least that many games a year if not more.  That will bum some people out here and probably even put Canadian Dimes into the fetal position, but that's the way I see it unfolding.

Whether he can succeed in the NCAA Tournament is another matter that only time will tell. 

"Let's face it, the guy won about 25 games a year at Marquette". Huh? 25, 21, what's the difference? But then I guess one could say 21, 17, what's the difference? And so on. Facts: Crean won 25+ games 3 times in 9 years, 1 time in his last 5, and averaged 21.1. I get that you love the guy and want to polish his knob, but inflating his numbers by 16% is over the top. Using your math, Buzz has averaged about 28 wins a year even though he's never won more than 25. Fuzzy math.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 11, 2010, 09:09:15 PM »
The fact that this thread is this long is embarassing.

And yes, jackasses, I'm aware that technically I'm contributing to it's length.  But nonetheless y'all.  LET IT GO!!!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »
The fact that this thread is this long is embarassing.

And yes, jackasses, I'm aware that technically I'm contributing to it's length.  But nonetheless y'all.  LET IT GO!!!

embarrassing vs. embarassing.

its vs. it's
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2010, 09:12:15 PM »

reinko

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2010, 09:14:21 PM »
Yo J-Dizzle, thirsty Thursday my friend.  Spelling and grammar is for dorks.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2010, 09:16:26 PM »
Yo J-Dizzle, thirsty Thursday my friend.  Spelling and grammar is for dorks.

Wordup, I wish I could throw a few back tonight, but...  trying to get to the office by 5:30 or 6am tomorrow so I can try to get home before tip-off.

Don't worry, though.. your spelling and grammar is better than Chico's math.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MountainCreekHouse

• Starter
  • Danktatoes
« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2010, 09:18:11 PM »
Farva:"Give me six Schlitzes."
O'Hagan: "Take it easy, Rod."
Farva: "Open bar, dude!"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 11, 2010, 09:25:25 PM »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #60 on: November 11, 2010, 09:28:06 PM »
Peter Jurkin...Cody Zeller

"That's what she said.

...Or HE said."
- Michael Scott
SS Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #61 on: November 11, 2010, 09:48:25 PM »

Don't worry, though.. your spelling and grammar is better than Chico's math.

This coming from the guy that thinks this is "borderline ugly"

If you read what I said, the math should be pretty clear.  I said "When he had talent, he won consistently 25 (or more) games per year except one year when he won 24.  When the talent was waning or young, he won about 20 games per year."

By talent, I'm using the rationale on this board...the same rationale that said non DI players were recruited, etc, etc.

2001 26 wins
2002 27 wins
2006 24 wins
2007 25 wins
= 25 wins per year

In 2005, talented but very young which I caveated in my statement, 20 wins.  19 wins the other two years.  I did not include the first two years at MU or IU, when he was rebuilding both programs.  Nothing wrong with my math.

When he has talent, he wins a lot of games.  At IU, he will have a lot of talent in the next few years...he will win a lot of games.  Nothing wrong with my math.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:52:31 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: November 11, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
"Let's face it, the guy won about 25 games a year at Marquette". Huh? 25, 21, what's the difference? But then I guess one could say 21, 17, what's the difference? And so on. Facts: Crean won 25+ games 3 times in 9 years, 1 time in his last 5, and averaged 21.1. I get that you love the guy and want to polish his knob, but inflating his numbers by 16% is over the top. Using your math, Buzz has averaged about 28 wins a year even though he's never won more than 25. Fuzzy math.

You clearly didn't read what I said, but that's ok.  I said WHEN HE HAD TALENT....i.e., not the last two years and not the first two years.  He also didn't have a whole lot of talent the first two years after the Final Four, something that detractors here have stated time and time and time again...remember?   That's the point, he now will have talent at IU and he will win a ton of games.   He's going to win a lot of games over the next 5 years, just the way it is.

MU is on a roll and should be able to do just as well if not better...afterall, we have a better recruiter and better coach at the helm.

SalsaMan

• Starter
« Reply #63 on: November 11, 2010, 09:57:18 PM »
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman..."

William Jefferson Clinton

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: November 12, 2010, 05:58:28 AM »
You clearly didn't read what I said, but that's ok.  I said WHEN HE HAD TALENT....i.e., not the last two years and not the first two years.  He also didn't have a whole lot of talent the first two years after the Final Four, something that detractors here have stated time and time and time again...remember?   That's the point, he now will have talent at IU and he will win a ton of games.   He's going to win a lot of games over the next 5 years, just the way it is.

MU is on a roll and should be able to do just as well if not better...afterall, we have a better recruiter and better coach at the helm.

Here's actually what you said:
I agree.  Let's face it, the guy won about 25 games a year at MU and always double digit wins in the Big East with the talent he got to MU.  More than likely, he will get better talent (long term) at IU as the stain of the scandal is further and further away.  With more talent, I'd be hard pressed to not see him win at least that many games a year if not more.  That will bum some people out here and probably even put Canadian Dimes into the fetal position, but that's the way I see it unfolding

Nothing about WHEN HE HAD TALENT.

Spin, spin, spin

And about Cody Zeller. He's not "Clearly the best Zeller". Tyler Zeller is pretty darn good, and was a little more college ready and definitely more athletic than Cody going into his senior year. Tyler just had injury problems. I would not be surprised if Tyler averages about 15-18 points per game this year.

I have seen Cody play numerous times. He's a very good player, and definitely an excellent building block, but he is not a program changer.

And yes I would be ecstatic if MU could sign a big man of his caliber, even though it is a guard's game.  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 12, 2010, 06:45:32 AM »
Who was responsible for the talent on hand  in 03-04 and 04-05?    Sure looks like .500 records in CUSA and <20 win seasons.    So, half the time he was here, he won 25 or so games.    Half the time he was here, he won less than 20.   Hey, I have no grudge against Crean.   I got over his leaving in about 2 weeks.     I expect he will be fairly successful at IU, mainly because I have always expected him to land some Indiana-bred bigs and was beginning to wonder what was taking so long.  But chicos, dude, some of your circulocutions are becoming painful.  Crean did good things for Marquette, and vice versa.   But are you seriously going to be in here defending Buzz' coaching ability if he hangs back to back 19 win seasons in years 5 and 6 of his regime?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 07:12:26 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #66 on: November 12, 2010, 07:16:54 AM »
Indee, move down one post and see what I wrote....I even put it in quotes for you.  You are referencing an earlier post not the one where I clearly stated what the 25 wins meant.  No spin, you just have to take the time to read

"When he had talent, he won consistently 25 (or more) games per year except one year when he won 24.  When the talent was waning or young, he won about 20 games per year."
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:03:27 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

MarquetteFan94

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 12, 2010, 07:30:23 AM »
So sad that on the eve of our season opener this is the most popular/active thread on the board.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: November 12, 2010, 08:05:40 AM »
Who was responsible for the talent on hand  in 03-04 and 04-05?    Sure looks like .500 records in CUSA and <20 win seasons.    So, half the time he was here, he won 25 or so games.    Half the time he was here, he won less than 20.   Hey, I have no grudge against Crean.   I got over his leaving in about 2 weeks.     I expect he will be fairly successful at IU, mainly because I have always expected him to land some Indiana-bred bigs and was beginning to wonder what was taking so long.  But chicos, dude, some of your circulocutions are becoming painful.  Crean did good things for Marquette, and vice versa.   But are you seriously going to be in here defending Buzz' coaching ability if he hangs back to back 19 win seasons in years 5 and 6 of his regime?

Here's what I said:
"When he had talent, he won consistently 25 (or more) games per year except one year when he won 24.  When the talent was waning or young, he won about 20 games per year."

Of course he was responsible, no one has ever said anything differently.  What I'm saying is NOW he has talent at IU and that will translate into a ton of wins, 25+ per year I would think

You'll have to define what circulocutions means

Will I defend Buzz in years 5 and 6 if we go with 19 wins back to back....if it's coming off a Final Four, I sure as hell will. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: November 12, 2010, 08:08:33 AM »
So sad that on the eve of our season opener this is the most popular/active thread on the board.

Hate drives many of these threads

PE8983

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: November 12, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »
Love drives many of these threads.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 12, 2010, 08:24:59 AM »
It seems to me a lot of people here have egg on their face today predicting Crean's firing in a few years (didn't happen and won't happen), inability to get a big man (that has been thoroughly debunked), etc....and so now the lashing comes out more and more.

For the record, I said that IF he didn't land some of the in-state talent, he could be in trouble after this year. He has managed to land some of that talent, and as referenced in an earlier post, for the moment, it doesn't even matter how good a guy like Zeller turns out to be. Getting him was the important part.

mugrad99

• Team Captain
« Reply #72 on: November 12, 2010, 08:31:53 AM »
Indee, move down one post and see what I wrote....I even put it in quotes for you.  You are referencing an earlier post not the one where I clearly stated what the 25 wins meant.  No spin, you just have to take the time to read

It's actually more than one post, and your correction was nothing like your first post. To me, that's you backtracking when you were called out.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 12, 2010, 08:39:10 AM »
The sun was in my eyes...

The dog ate my game plan...

Joanie was up all night with gastro intestinal distress...

I was out celebrating my son being selected MVP of my basketball camp...

It's Indiana! It's Indiana!

This is why Crean threads should be allowed to live.  Gems like this come through.  Bravo SalsaMan.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 12, 2010, 08:43:14 AM »
16-46 (5-32)

That is all.