[Today at 08:37:20 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by JTJ3
[Today at 06:35:06 AM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Halloween hoops  (Read 7523 times)

tower912

• All American
Halloween hoops
« on: October 31, 2021, 12:18:42 PM »
Mark Miller singling out OMP and Kam on twitter.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Halloween hoops
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 12:31:45 PM »

Bam and Bam.  That bodes well for us.  This team is super young but deep and with a myriad of skill-sets.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2021, 12:33:28 PM »

Kam keeps coming up in a good way.  I like it. 

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2021, 12:34:48 PM »
Team with Lewis, OMP, Mitchell, Jones, Oso and Elliot won by ~20.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 12:38:23 PM by bananahammock »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2021, 12:38:29 PM »
So, the team of Morsell, EE, Kolek, Joplin, Itejere, and Kur lost by 20.   Consistent with what has been seeping out.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:28:21 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

bananahammock

• Starter
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2021, 12:45:35 PM »
So, the team of Morsell, EE, Kolek, Joplin, Itajere, and Kur lost by 20.   Consistent with what has been seeping out.
Itajere didn’t play at all.
Morsell playing bully ball got their team back in it, briefly.
Lewis shot a lot of 3s. Just guessing ~3-10. Hopefully they isolate Lewis and OMP at times from the wide post. I remember Lewis trying but was blocked by Kur from the weak side. OMP had a nice bank shot out of this set. Prosper shot the 3 well. Elliot and Itejere were  the non starters.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 12:48:46 PM by bananahammock »

mubb3434

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2021, 01:01:32 PM »
Based off of this scrimmage, I would say the starters will be:

Kolek
Morsell
Lewis
OMax
Kuath

First off the bench: Kam Jones (He is so smooth and crafty & is going to be a 20 min per game player). Honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him start by EOY so that we can bring OMax off of the bench for size.

Note: Greg looked off. Didn't start on either of the teams and just seemed off. Not sure what is going on there.

Note #2. I really likes how Oso chased down Joplin twice on fast breaks and stuffed him

Note #3: Expect ALOT of alley-oops by Kuath this year. He's going to be a lot for teams to deal with

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2021, 01:15:40 PM »
Team with Lewis, OMP, Mitchell, Jones, Oso and Elliot won by ~20.

Not a good sign if Wojo’s players won
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »
Based off of this scrimmage, I would say the starters will be:

Kolek
Morsell
Lewis
OMax
Kuath

First off the bench: Kam Jones (He is so smooth and crafty & is going to be a 20 min per game player). Honestly wouldn't be shocked to see him start by EOY so that we can bring OMax off of the bench for size.

Note: Greg looked off. Didn't start on either of the teams and just seemed off. Not sure what is going on there.

Note #2. I really likes how Oso chased down Joplin twice on fast breaks and stuffed him

Note #3: Expect ALOT of alley-oops by Kuath this year. He's going to be a lot for teams to deal with

This was my guess for the starters as well but I'm wondering if we can play that frontcourt together.  Do we have enough ball-handling and can they all switch on smalls.  My gut feeling is we will play three guards and maybe start Jones.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2021, 01:20:05 PM »
Not a good sign if Wojo’s players won

If Wojo was coaching them I’d agree.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 01:21:35 PM »
Coach Smart referenced that 11 were ready.   Rumor that Itejere may be a red-shirt candidate.  Coach Smart says EE is erratic, that Morsell needs to get in game condition.

Thanks to all posting their observations.

For all who were there, are you more optimistic or pessimistic after watching? 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:27:55 PM by tower912 »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2021, 01:29:49 PM »
It was closer than the score would indicate. It was like 48-44 with 8ish minutes left. White started hitting every one of their threes and Blue couldn't buy a bucket.

Itejere played for a hot 30 seconds. Seems like an obvious redshirt candidate. Greg came off the bench for White but I think that he is still playing hurt.

Individual defense is really really good. Players can stay in front of their men and pick pockets very well. Team defense has a long way to go. We're not playing havoc but it is extremely aggressive and features a lot of pressure, double teams, and traps. When we get turnovers it is a thing of beauty. But both squads gave up a lot of open threes (White made theirs, Blue didn't). Team needs to get better at their rotations and then it will be a top 50 defensive unit.

We are aggressive on offense as well. Pushing the tempo every time down the court. Multiple guys can get to hoop on their own which is nice but they had trouble finishing. I noticed that a lot of guys went straight at defenders for dunks and layups that had no chance of going down but had a good chance of drawing a foul. There will be some nasty posters made this season. O-Max, Lewis, and Jones were hitting their threes today. Mitchell, Kolek, and Joplin also had threes but weren't hitting as consistently. Ellis and Greg missed all of their attempts IIRC. There were a lot of skip passes, I think our height allows us to do that.

Kur is quickly becoming my favorite player. Dunks on everyone and such a versatile defender.

I doubt that stat sheet would have showed it, but I think Mitchell was the hidden gem of the scrimmage. Made a lot of really good defensive plays had some very nice finds off of drives. Kam looked as good as the rumors have said. Both along with Morsell and Kolek were the ones bring the ball up the floor.

Oso showed some life on offense but is still a work in progress on that end. His defense was very good. Chased down Joplin and stuffed him on two consecutive possessions.

If I had to guess the starting 5 and bench order based on just this scrimmage I would say:

Mitchell
Jones
Morsell
Lewis
Kuath

O-Max
Kolek
Oso
Joplin
Ellis
Elliott
Itejere

Also, for those who were there, TAMU, Mrs. TAMU, and Lil' TAMU were the Ghostbusters in the costume contest  8-)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2021, 01:33:47 PM »
It was closer than the score would indicate. It was like 48-44 with 8ish minutes left. White started hitting every one of their threes and Blue couldn't buy a bucket.

Itejere played for a hot 30 seconds. Seems like an obvious redshirt candidate. Greg came off the bench for White but I think that he is still playing hurt.

Individual defense is really really good. Players can stay in front of their men and pick pockets very well. Team defense has a long way to go. We're not playing havoc but it is extremely aggressive and features a lot of pressure, double teams, and traps. When we get turnovers it is a thing of beauty. But both squads gave up a lot of open threes (White made theirs, Blue didn't). Team needs to get better at their rotations and then it will be a top 50 defensive unit.

We are aggressive on offense as well. Pushing the tempo every time down the court. Multiple guys can get to hoop on their own which is nice but they had trouble finishing. I noticed that a lot of guys went straight at defenders for dunks and layups that had no chance of going down but had a good chance of drawing a foul. There will be some nasty posters made this season. O-Max, Lewis, and Jones were hitting their threes today. Mitchell, Kolek, and Joplin also had threes but weren't hitting as consistently. Ellis and Greg missed all of their attempts IIRC. There were a lot of skip passes, I think our height allows us to do that.

Kur is quickly becoming my favorite player. Dunks on everyone and such a versatile defender.

I doubt that stat sheet would have showed it, but I think Mitchell was the hidden gem of the scrimmage. Made a lot of really good defensive plays had some very nice finds off of drives. Kam looked as good as the rumors have said. Both along with Morsell and Kolek were the ones bring the ball up the floor.

Oso showed some life on offense but is still a work in progress on that end. His defense was very good. Chased down Joplin and stuffed him on two consecutive possessions.

If I had to guess the starting 5 and bench order based on just this scrimmage I would say:

Mitchell
Jones
Morsell
Lewis
Kuath

O-Max
Kolek
Oso
Joplin
Ellis
Elliott
Itejere

Also, for those who were there, TAMU, Mrs. TAMU, and Lil' TAMU were the Ghostbusters in the costume contest  8-)

Thanks for the detailed breakdown! 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2021, 01:34:12 PM »
One other thing. I felt like the refs were letting them play. I worry that Big East refs won't be that lenient.
TAMU

panda

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2021, 01:42:52 PM »

Mitchell
Jones
Morsell
Lewis
Kuath

O-Max
Kolek
Oso
Joplin
Ellis
Elliott
Itejere

Agree on Mitchell. Probably the least flashy guy on the floor, but has a very calming presence on the ball. Jones and Mitchell are ready to play right now.

This team is much better than the pre season predictions.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2021, 01:48:33 PM »
Agree on Mitchell. Probably the least flashy guy on the floor, but has a very calming presence on the ball. Jones and Mitchell are ready to play right now.

This team is much better than the pre season predictions.

Just piggy backing on Rico.  Wojos recruits ready?  Can’t be.

panda

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2021, 01:57:12 PM »
Just piggy backing on Rico.  Wojos recruits ready?  Can’t be.

Finding talent never was a problem for Wojo.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2021, 02:04:04 PM »
Finding talent never was a problem for Wojo.

Agree Panda.  But some posters have been saying the cupboard would have been bare even if everyone stayed plus the recruits. 

Coaching was the problem. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2021, 02:08:05 PM »
Agree Panda.  But some posters have been saying the cupboard would have been bare even if everyone stayed plus the recruits. 

Coaching was the problem.

Talent would be present again, but would surely fall short. Just like every Wojo team each season.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2021, 02:09:03 PM »
Talent would be present again, but would surely fall short. Just like every Wojo team each season.

Correct.  We are on the same page.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2021, 02:30:39 PM »
I really think Kam will be an immediate impact guy. He's that freshman that just looks ready for this level.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2021, 02:55:52 PM »
One other thing. I felt like the refs were letting them play. I worry that Big East refs won't be that lenient.

Agreed.  They beat the sh1t out of each other.

The corner three for the stretch 4 is going to be a focus to open up the lane.  Lewis, Joplin and OMP...OMP has a nice stroke...and couldn't miss today.

I thought Oso did some really good things defensively.  There is a ton of play above the rim...really athletic guys. 

I like what Kur was trying to do...he's aggressive...didn't think he finished all that well...but it's one scrimmage.  He plays like a man.

The overall takeaway for me...they are fast, long, and physical.  Scoring will be a challenge, but I love what I saw.  Damn they played hard.  Nothing came easy. 

Shaka and players all class acts with the kids.  Joplin and Kur came down our isle to thank us for coming and give candy to our kids.  Not necessary...but made my kids day.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »

Mitchell
Jones
Morsell
Lewis
Kuath

O-Max
Kolek
Oso
Joplin
Ellis
Elliott
Itejere

Wow...GE is our 11th guy?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2021, 03:54:05 PM »
He may be.   I keep reading that he is still battling injuries.   

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2021, 04:31:41 PM »
Wow...GE is our 11th guy?

Just based on this scrimmage.  I doubt that's actually the case.  He's definitely still injured
TAMU