[Today at 11:41:46 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[Today at 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[Today at 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[Today at 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Jamil Wilson  (Read 14238 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Jamil Wilson
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2014, 12:42:48 PM »
I actually believe Gardner has the better shot to be draft than Jamil does

+1 

If anyone from MU was going to get drafted this year Ox had a better chance than Jamil.  Ox is a big body and could score (and be a horrible defensive liability).  But at least he brought a skill to the table.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2014, 12:43:26 PM »
Gardner can't run
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Sharpie

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2014, 12:43:57 PM »
He seemed happy with putting up a 12 pt 4 board game. Lacked fire/passion and didn't seem to have much leadership ability. No killer instinct. He has great measurable and is a heckuv an athlete so it's too bad that he never did more with the "potential" that was there. He had some great games and some clutch shots here and there but all in all was disappointing. I'm not bashing him by any means but he was an above average player during his time here. Not one of the greats. I do think he could've been but that's all out the door now. And I'm the definition of an optimist especially when it comes to MU hoops.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2014, 12:48:09 PM »
Not surprised that Jamil didn't get drafted - he'll get some looks at camps - but I agree with Texas Western's comments about these obscure international players that teams take flyers on in the second round.  Every team thinks they might be getting the rights to the next Novitzki...when in reality they're usually just flushing a draft pick down the toilet.  Why not earn the team a little goodwill by picking a local kid over some guy who'll likely never make it to town?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2014, 01:38:34 PM »
To be fair he didn't really earn a pick with his play. However, I never understand the logic in drafting some slow soft 7 foot European in the late second round on a wing and a hope

Would you rather have a guy you is 100% guaranteed to be a 9-12 roster player or a guy 10% chance of being a top 7 player? I take the 10% chance guy all day since the other guy will have no impact on wins or losses. Add in the cost savings of letting these guys develop in Europe and it becomes an easier call.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2014, 02:55:19 PM »
Not surprised that Jamil didn't get drafted - he'll get some looks at camps - but I agree with Texas Western's comments about these obscure international players that teams take flyers on in the second round.  Every team thinks they might be getting the rights to the next Novitzki...when in reality they're usually just flushing a draft pick down the toilet.  Why not earn the team a little goodwill by picking a local kid over some guy who'll likely never make it to town?
That goodwill is gone as soon as they cut the player.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »
That goodwill is gone as soon as they cut the player.

And the international unknown is usually gone as soon as they draft him....

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2014, 04:45:18 PM »
Where was Vander picked last night?

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2014, 04:59:28 PM »
And the international unknown is usually gone as soon as they draft him....

It's a business and you don't let emotions tie you down to the hometown player. You take BPA all day long. The problem is a lot of college fans have 2-4 years of memories regarding college players making them seem like they are more accomplished then these Europeans. A lot of of these Euro leagues are tougher than the highest D-1 conferences, so it isn't like they weren't playing good competition. Bilas is a perfect example of a guy who constantly rates college players higher than they should be.

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2014, 08:34:15 PM »
At 57, I have the same chance as Jamil of getting drafted tonight.

Jamil is like Bernard Toone -- lots of talent that was never close to being fully realized. You can try to blame Buzz, but Jamil has only Jamil to blame for his present predicament.

That's good still.

Because Toone got a cup of joe in the League.
SS Marquette

tower912

• All American
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 08:36:46 PM »
Jamil's rep after college is the same as it was coming out of high school.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 09:18:42 PM »
Gardner can't run

You were never at opening time at the Golden Corral?

Death on call

Texas Western

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 09:38:46 PM »
It's a business and you don't let emotions tie you down to the hometown player. You take BPA all day long. The problem is a lot of college fans have 2-4 years of memories regarding college players making them seem like they are more accomplished then these Europeans. A lot of of these Euro leagues are tougher than the highest D-1 conferences, so it isn't like they weren't playing good competition. Bilas is a perfect example of a guy who constantly rates college players higher than they should be.
Yes it is a business and part of business is putting butts in the seats and creating local interest .  A team needs an identity. That is easy to do on the weekends but much harder to do every day of the week.  I just think a  local college guy is worth it from a business perspective, it helps with the community relation aspects. A team is not always made out of the best players available.  Also I really disagree about the quality of the Euro Leagues. The quality of the players is very mixed. Yes there are some good players here and there. However, our College basketball  has much tougher competition and the experience of playing in sold out large arenas on the road and in the NCAA tournament here is very valuable and is not replicated overseas. 

Nevada233

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
Jamil and Gardner were not in the top 60 players (2 rounds) in the draft. No way would a team waste a pick on them when they can get em
For pennies on the dollar. I doubt they ever wear an NBA jersey unless they buy it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2014, 11:45:37 PM »
I used to think nba teams should use late 2nd round picks to get local kids to attract more fans. Then the bucks drafted Jon Leuer....I didn't see a notable attendance spike
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2014, 12:02:00 AM »
Yes it is a business and part of business is putting butts in the seats and creating local interest .  A team needs an identity. That is easy to do on the weekends but much harder to do every day of the week.  I just think a  local college guy is worth it from a business perspective, it helps with the community relation aspects. A team is not always made out of the best players available.  Also I really disagree about the quality of the Euro Leagues. The quality of the players is very mixed. Yes there are some good players here and there. However, our College basketball  has much tougher competition and the experience of playing in sold out large arenas on the road and in the NCAA tournament here is very valuable and is not replicated overseas. 
If the bucks drafted Jamil, how many people would care? No one cared when Caron was here last year. Fans care about winning and the best thing management should do is pick the players they think are the best. I don't know how playing with grown men and tougher competition in Europe is a negative.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »
I used to think nba teams should use late 2nd round picks to get local kids to attract more fans. Then the bucks drafted Jon Leuer....I didn't see a notable attendance spike

Exactly.  It might occasionally put a few extra fans in the seats but not anything that's worth it for compromising a better pick. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2014, 12:19:58 PM »
Davante would make a fantastic lineman (either side).

Awesome feet, understands leverage, spacing, good hands, etc.

I don't know that he could play in the NFL, but he could have played college football, no doubt in my mind.

Can you imagine Davante pulling as a guard and leading the sweep? He'd be amazing. That really was his best fit.
We Are Marquette

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2014, 02:38:53 PM »
After seeing who got drafted, I'm sorry but no one can tell me Vander would not have been drafted in this year's draft if he had the same year as he did his junior year.  More than likely, he would have had a better year his senior year.

Too bad, but he does have the shoes and 200+ teammates.  Smart kid, maybe the Buzzard wore on him as well.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2014, 02:57:02 PM »
After seeing who got drafted, I'm sorry but no one can tell me Vander would not have been drafted in this year's draft if he had the same year as he did his junior year.  More than likely, he would have had a better year his senior year.

Too bad, but he does have the shoes and 200+ teammates.  Smart kid, maybe the Buzzard wore on him as well.
If so, he should be able to make an impression in this year's NBA summer leagues?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2014, 06:44:40 PM »

Idk, jahii carson didn't get drafted this year. I think Carson would go before Vander
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2014, 08:01:30 PM »
https://twitter.com/DonBossUp/status/482932856197353472

"Congrats to Jamil Wilson for signing with the Washington Wizards"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2014, 10:41:53 PM »
After seeing who got drafted, I'm sorry but no one can tell me Vander would not have been drafted in this year's draft if he had the same year as he did his junior year. 

Vander would not have been drafted in this year's draft.

I'm sorry ... but I obviously could tell you just that.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2014, 11:32:49 AM »

I'm sorry ... but I obviously could tell you just that.

We will agree to disagree.  IMO, he was better than 10 to 12 guys that actually were drafted this year and that was based on his junior year.  If he had a solid senior year, which he was likely to do, no doubt in my mind.

On the Jahil Carson stuff, he was a point guard and didn't get drafted largely because of his size.  Since 2000, only 1.2% of all draftees have been under 6' tall.  Carson is 5'10 without shoes.  Also not considered a strong defender translated to the NBA.  A score first PG. 

brandx

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2014, 12:30:25 PM »

+1

Much, much stronger draft field this year.