[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS and ESPN: C7 may stop at nine schools  (Read 7212 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: CBS and ESPN: C7 may stop at nine schools
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »
It seems to me that all of today's articles have been mentioning Dayton, with silence regarding schools like Richmond and VCU.

Richmond, VCU, SLU and Dayton will be in the group of 4 considered. No one really wants Dayton though, and Xavier may not want them in. There were reports from Xavier insiders stating as much. Not sure Dayton will get in.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »
So if it helps, what my birdie is saying is one "west" and one "east" for expansion if he were to bet, but he doesn't know for sure.  I suggested SLU and VCU and he said "possible".

Take it for whatever it's worth, which is not much right now.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2013, 08:09:26 PM »
So if it helps, what my birdie is saying is one "west" and one "east" for expansion if he were to bet, but he doesn't know for sure.  I suggested SLU and VCU and he said "possible".

Is this after Xavier, Butler and Creighton sign on for a 10-team league? I'd take SLU and VCU for a 12-team league, as I'm in the ABD camp.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2013, 08:11:09 PM »

This lends some credibility to the Feinstein article which suggested that the eastern schools would want another eastern school added to achieve geographic balance between midwestern and eastern teams with six teams in each region.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Benny B

• All American
Re: CBS: C7 may stop at nine schools
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2013, 08:15:27 PM »
Didn't they drop the requirement to 6 for the WAC's sake a couple years ago?

Correct... six.  But either way, the C7 will have an auto bid next year.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2013, 08:17:25 PM »
Is this after Xavier, Butler and Creighton sign on for a 10-team league? I'd take SLU and VCU for a 12-team league, as I'm in the ABD camp.

Yes, after...next round

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2013, 08:18:57 PM »
This lends some credibility to the Feinstein article which suggested that the eastern schools would want another eastern school added to achieve geographic balance between midwestern and eastern teams with six teams in each region.

Don't like this at all. Too easy to make "Divisions" for scheduling. Would deny the Midwest teams the East Coast exposure they're looking for.
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2013, 08:27:29 PM »
And it would deny MU home and home games with Georgetown and Nova, presumably the two teams MU would most like to play twice.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2013, 08:35:37 PM »
Screw ND. Let them park their team somewhere else for one year.

Having said that, I'd love to see a long-term home-and-home series with them.

Wrong ... ND is getting weaved into the C7 (or is it "the new Big East?") so when the ACC blows up, they don't have to change anything, they just continue on.

Screw Uconn/Lousiville/Cincy and USF.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:37:09 PM by AnotherMU84 »

chapman

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
And it would deny MU home and home games with Georgetown and Nova, presumably the two teams MU would most like to play twice.

And to go along with that, Fox would not have that.  It would "fix" 16/18 games on the schedule each year (10 home-and-home vs. division, 6 vs. other division, only 2 semi-flexible).  Similar to how the old/current Big East arranged home and homes to give some weight to projected strength, the television partner wants the flexibility in the schedule that allows them to have the best slate of marquee games.  Without divisions and 12 teams you really only "fix" 11/18 games.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:44:34 PM by chapman »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2013, 08:44:53 PM »
Don't like this at all. Too easy to make "Divisions" for scheduling. Would deny the Midwest teams the East Coast exposure they're looking for.

I don't know, couldn't you get creative?? I don't like the divisional idea either...BUT what if you just play more conference games then?? Say for instance you have a 12 team league, and still play each team twice?? It balanced, and it's only 4 more conference games than what they play now. It's beneficial in several regards. Teams would have to give up some non conference games yes, but if they were going to be "buy" games anyway, is that such a bad thing?? I mean with more money in this TV contract, perhaps the schools could give up those buy games?? In reality, in a two week time span(which is what you'd have to add 4 more conference games if two games per week), most teams would play what?? Maybe 3 non conference games in a two week span??

So you are giving up playing Bethune Cookman, Mercer and Kennesaw State, in exchange for Georgetown, Villanova and St, John's. All games that would draw better anyway. I bet if one crunched the numbers, the lost revenue if any under this set up would be minimal when everything is factored in.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »

It would make divisions "easy", but in no way mandatory.   I actually wouldn't be surprised to see the division concept used for all sports except basketball (men's and women's) which would use a system like the current Big East one with home and away opponents rotating each year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:34 PM »
Man I thought with that whole South Florida/freedom of information act release of BE financial data, we would have learned our lesson about bringing in a public school.  Why the hell is VCU still coming up in conversations as an expansion team??

warriorstrack

• All American
  • Keep the wallet in the pocket
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2013, 10:26:40 PM »
Divisions in 2014?
East
G-Town
SH
SJ
NOVA
PC
X

West
MU
DP
Creighton
SLU
Dayton
Butler

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2013, 10:31:13 PM »
Divisions would the worst thing that could happen to us in this league.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »
Divisions would the worst thing that could happen to us in this league.

+ 1,000,000

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:21 PM »

The same Feinstein article that had Siena and Detroit in the mix?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:42 PM »
Realistically, there will be divisions.

Divisions for everything not basketball.

Schmidtyfactor

• Starter
« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »
How often do teams that wouldn't get into the NCAA Tournament from the top 6 conferences (I would consider the C7 at least on par with the bottom of those conferences in every year) win their conference tournament and take over an automatic bid?  Very, very rarely.

Didn't this just happen with UCON a few years ago? They won so many games in the Big East Tourney b/c they had a mediocre record and had to play from day 1. they won the big east tourney and then went on to win the national championship. I recall them being firmly on the bubble prior to the big east tourney.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2013, 11:02:26 PM »
Didn't this just happen with UCON a few years ago? They won so many games in the Big East Tourney b/c they had a mediocre record and had to play from day 1. they won the big east tourney and then went on to win the national championship. I recall them being firmly on the bubble prior to the big east tourney.

Bubble team prior to the tournament, no doubt. I believe they were 9-9.

dwaderoy2004

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 11:13:57 PM »
UConn was not on the bubble.  They were undefeated in non-con, including winning the Maui invitational.  However, Georgia won the SEC tourney a few years back to make the NCAA tourney.  They were nowhere near the bubble.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »
Divisions in 2014?
East
G-Town
SH
SJ
NOVA
PC
X

West
MU
DP
Creighton
SLU
Dayton
Butler

Do. Not. Like.

Stay at 10 if 12 means divisions.

I don't expect MU to let this fly, and I am confident that the C7 will back MU's wishes.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #47 on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:23 PM »
UConn was not on the bubble.  They were undefeated in non-con, including winning the Maui invitational.  However, Georgia won the SEC tourney a few years back to make the NCAA tourney.  They were nowhere near the bubble.

Iowa won the Big 10 tourney in 2001 heading in with little hope for an NCAA bid.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 28, 2013, 11:29:00 PM »

Google bubble watch uconn 2010-2011.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2013, 12:09:27 AM »
Syracuse won in 2006 and probably wouldn't have made it otherwise.

feedback