[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: CBS and ESPN: C7 may stop at nine schools  (Read 7213 times)

Pakuni

• All American
CBS and ESPN: C7 may stop at nine schools
« on: February 28, 2013, 04:58:19 PM »
Xavier and Butler only. I could live with this.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/blog/eye-on-college-basketball/21787349/catholic-7-looking-at-nine-schools-might-stop-there

The Catholic 7 may only expand to nine schools.

According to multiple sources, the seven teams leaving the Big East -- Georgetown, Marquette, Villanova, Seton Hall, St. John's, DePaul and Providence -- may only add Xavier and Butler in the immediate future. There has been speculation the league would expand to 12 teams, but it now appears that it will be a nine- or 10-team league. Sources revealed there is a lack of consensus among the above schools on who the 10th member should be.

Creighton, Saint Louis, Dayton, Richmond and VCU were all under consideration if the league opted to expand to 10 or 12 teams.

"Nine teams would be ideal in the sense that each team would be able to play every team twice in the league," one source said.

ESPN story:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9000502/catholic-7-schools-keep-big-east-name-new-league-next-season-according-sources

The Big East's departing Catholic 7 schools are expected to start their own league next season and will keep the Big East Conference name, sources told ESPN's Brett McMurphy, Andy Katz and Dana O'Neil.

Joining the Catholic 7 schools -- DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John's, Seton Hall, and Villanova -- in the new "Big East" this fall will be Xavier and Butler, sources said.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:13:08 PM by Pakuni »

Aughnanure

• All American
Re: CBS: C7 may stop at nine schools
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 05:00:29 PM »
No way. I would think Fox would want at least an 18-game schedule, so 10 teams allows for 9 home and 9 away games. Do any leagues play 16 game schedules anymore?
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 05:02:57 PM »
No way. I would think Fox would want at least an 18-game schedule, so 10 teams allows for 9 home and 9 away games. Do any leagues play 16 game schedules anymore?

Perhaps Fox is willing to trade some conference matchups involving the likes of Dayton or St. Louis for more appealing non-conference games, maybe Georgetown-UConn, Marquette-Gonzaga, Xavier-Cincy, Butler-Memphis, etc.
Fewer conference games gives these programs flexibility to schedule more quality OOC matchups without losing the necessary buy games.

tominsalem

• Walk-On
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 05:06:20 PM »
Perhaps Fox is willing to trade some conference matchups involving the likes of Dayton or St. Louis for more appealing non-conference games, maybe Georgetown-UConn, Marquette-Gonzaga, Xavier-Cincy, Butler-Memphis, etc.
Fewer conference games gives these programs flexibility to schedule more quality OOC matchups without losing the necessary buy games.

STJ has already scheduled Syracuse for the next 2 years.
We are..............St. John's.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 05:10:59 PM »
How many teams does a league need for an auto bid to the tourney?  For some reason I thought it was 10

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
How many teams does a league need for an auto bid to the tourney?  For some reason I thought it was 10

1) Every conference gets an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament.

2) It won't matter whether the C7 gets an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament or not, because they will be sending multiple at large teams to the NCAA Tournament every year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 05:20:20 PM »
2) It won't matter whether the C7 gets an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament or not, because they will be sending multiple at large teams to the NCAA Tournament every year.

Oh, it matters. The lack of an automatic bid won't keep the conference from being a multi-bid league, but it certainly makes the conference tourney more interesting, at least for bubble teams and teams who only would get in that way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
Oh, it matters. The lack of an automatic bid won't keep the conference from being a multi-bid league, but it certainly makes the conference tourney more interesting, at least for bubble teams and teams who only would get in that way.

How often do teams that wouldn't get into the NCAA Tournament from the top 6 conferences (I would consider the C7 at least on par with the bottom of those conferences in every year) win their conference tournament and take over an automatic bid?  Very, very rarely.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2013, 05:35:12 PM »
How often do teams that wouldn't get into the NCAA Tournament from the top 6 conferences (I would consider the C7 at least on par with the bottom of those conferences in every year) win their conference tournament and take over an automatic bid?  Very, very rarely.

I don't care to examine a decade worth of automatic bids to find out, because you're missing the point.
The automatic bid gives all conference teams (and their fans) reason to care. It's also an essential element of the whole March Madness hoopla, the idea that anyone can get into the tourney. Take away the bid, and 3-4 teams in the conference (and their fan base) have no reason to care or watch.

Litehouse

• All American
Re: CBS and ESPN: C7 may stop at nine schools
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:15 PM »
I would love this, and have been advocating it on these boards.  I think 9 is better, for at least for the first few years.

setyoursightsnorth

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
It'll be up to 10 teams next year. Seven, plus X and butler. If ND can't get to the acc next year, they'll hang around with the c-7.  Then bring in creighton and SLU after that and we're good
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 05:44:05 PM by setyoursightsnorth »

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2013, 05:44:52 PM »
It'll be up to 10 teams next year. Seven, plus X and butler. If ND can't get to the acc next year, they'll hang around with the c-7

No thanks. We don't need to serve as a one-year home for ND. Best of luck to them...somehow I think they'll land on their feet.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 05:48:53 PM »
Why 13 schools...if that's the case leave Dayton behind and stick with 12

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 05:49:32 PM »
ESPN just reported that we will have a 9-team league in 2013-14 then will add Creighton, Dayton, and St. Louis in 2014.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 05:51:18 PM »
Its one of things where I dont care. I just want to leave.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 05:53:16 PM »

I don't think this is a bad move, so long as it doesn't affect the per-school $ from Fox.  Keeps the basketball product really strong, with I'd guess up to 7 of 9 teams that could be bubble teams or locks next year (all but DePaul and SH).  If 5-6 of those can actually make it, those are pretty good odds.

And, I like the idea of flexibility to schedule a few more tough non-conference games.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 05:54:47 PM »

I don't think this is a bad move, so long as it doesn't affect the per-school $ from Fox.  Keeps the basketball product really strong, with I'd guess up to 7 of 9 teams that could be bubble teams or locks next year (all but DePaul and SH).  If 5-6 of those can actually make it, those are pretty good odds.

And, I like the idea of flexibility to schedule a few more tough non-conference games.

I don't think it can be 6. Has to be at least 7 because the requirement is 7 teams that have been in a league together for 5 years. That's exactly why Marquette and DePaul were added to the Big East in 2005, with the idea of the football schools and basketball schools eventually going their separate ways.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 06:00:42 PM »
I don't think it can be 6. Has to be at least 7 because the requirement is 7 teams that have been in a league together for 5 years. That's exactly why Marquette and DePaul were added to the Big East in 2005, with the idea of the football schools and basketball schools eventually going their separate ways.

Didn't they drop the requirement to 6 for the WAC's sake a couple years ago?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 06:03:36 PM »
ESPN just reported that we will have a 9-team league in 2013-14 then will add Creighton, Dayton, and St. Louis in 2014.

I don't know if this is a typo in the ESPN article but the final paragraph says:
While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.

Let the theories begin...

Spot open for Gonzaga

muguru

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2013, 06:05:21 PM »
I don't know if this is a typo in the ESPN article but the final paragraph says:
Let the theories begin...

Spot open for Gonzaga

It will be one of SLU, Creighton or Richmond most likely. Also could be VCU or Dayton, though it seems there isn't a ton of support for Dayton.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2013, 06:12:21 PM »
If Notre Dame gets a free year with the C7east, it better have strings.  Little or no television revenue, or future year scheduling obligations.

And please don't bother going to 13 teams.  Going from 12-13 teams is a 8.3% growth, and adds 8.3% of additional regular season games...does that really increase the per school share of revenue when that 13th team is as lame as Dayton?  It certainly doesn't increase the basketball product; we already have too many teams that never make the tournament in the C7.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2013, 06:15:34 PM »
Screw ND. Let them park their team somewhere else for one year.

Having said that, I'd love to see a long-term home-and-home series with them.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2013, 06:17:35 PM »
It will be one of SLU, Creighton or Richmond most likely. Also could be VCU or Dayton, though it seems there isn't a ton of support for Dayton.

It seems to me that all of today's articles have been mentioning Dayton, with silence regarding schools like Richmond and VCU.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2013, 06:22:19 PM »
I'm hearing it will be 10 and that person is at FOX Sports who told me. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2013, 06:23:52 PM »
I'm hearing it will be 10 and that person is at FOX Sports who told me. 

ESPN concurs.
Now reporting that Creighton will be the 10th member this fall, with Dayton and St. Louis possibly joining in 2014.