Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...  (Read 16471 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Interesting photo from Buzz's BBQ...
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2010, 01:11:52 PM »
UW was never really recruiting him...for reasons we found out later.

Ready2Fly

• All American
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:09 PM »
It's not just Buzz who's doing the recruiting. Getting JP to form bonds with the players is a big key as well. If JP likes the guys on the team and gets the impression that they love being at MU and playing for Buzz, it could mean a lot more than a coach simply trying to sell him on the program.

You mean EXACTLY like what happened with Blue last year?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2010, 01:54:50 PM »
If you look at the top-10 recruits from each of the last ten years, not every one of them goes to UCLA, UNC, Duke & IU (even though it is Indiana).  In fact, there are quite a few "no-name" colleges (from the perspective of those four) up and down those lists.  95% of time, they are hometown or close-to-homes.

JP will do [the State of] Wisconsin proud wherever he goes.  But even if he were #1 in his class, Buzz still has the same chance as Roy, K, Tan, or Wooden's Shadow.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

OhioGoldenEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2010, 03:03:11 PM »

We have won exactly one battle with Bo over an in-state prospect the last few years.  (Blue)  Generally we don't go head to head with him over many people.  We had no interest in Gasser...they had no interest in Buycks.  But I think it would be pre-mature to suggest we are overtaking UW in the local recruiting battles.

It's been 6 years, but Matthews should count considering he was located in Madison.  I also think Christopherson was being recruited by UW.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2010, 03:04:30 PM »
It's been 6 years, but Matthews should count considering he was located in Madison. 

And Marcus Landry was in the same class and from Milwaukee.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 03:15:59 PM »
Lets not forget MU lost out on Brian Butch.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »

And Marcus Landry was in the same class and from Milwaukee.

I think the suggestion was that we always lose the recruits to the BADgers Landry would not be an example Wes would.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2010, 03:21:39 PM »
I think the suggestion was that we always lose the recruits to the BADgers Landry would not be an example Wes would.

Sometimes I wonder what people read.  The argument was that UW's local recruiting was "waning" while MU's was "waxing" based on the Blue decision.  I pointed out that, while they rarely go head-to-head over local prospects, MU has "recently" won only one of those battles.

And if he wants to count Matthews as recent...he should count Landry too.

And I most certainly never said "we always lose the recruits to the Badgers."

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2010, 03:57:55 PM »
I believe both teams have won a few battles head-to-head in the last 10 yrs:

UW - Butch, Nankivil, Landry
MU - Blue, Matthews, Christopherson

I'd give the edge to MU but not by a ton.

I'm not sure sure any of the others were recruited by both teams.  Shaw and Tokoto will be the next two.

From what I witnessed last night, JP was very comfortable around Buzz and the current team.  Buzz jokingly asked him if he had added any muscle and told him to stop by any time.

I wouldn't bet against Buzz.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2010, 03:59:11 PM »
No, what I really would like, though, is disrepectful posts that can turn recruits off to be made in private, sarcastic or not.

OK, just to be clear for everyone, my last sentence was indeed sarcastic. I highly doubt anyone didn't get that, although I doubt even more that JP or any other recruit would be influenced by people here if they even know this site exists. Just in case though, Jean-Pierre, I hope you weren't offended by my "disrespectful" comment and will still consider coming to MU.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2010, 04:01:40 PM »
It's been interesting split, but my memory (someone can and most certainly will correct me if it's wrong) was like this

UW-madison and MU went after these kids

Travis Diener - MU  (though Dick Bennett didn't think he would be a prime Big Ten player)
Scott Merritt - MU
Steve Novak - MU
Brian Butch - UW-madison
Greg Stiemsma - UW-madison
Wes Matthews - MU
Marcus Landry - UW-madison
Keenan Nankivil - UW-madison
Vander Blue - MU
Evan Anderson - UW-madison

Now someone will probably say that any number of the above players one party wasn't that interested or only gave a mild interest.  In some cases one of the schools was eliminated very early so it appeared no recruiting battle existed, but that doesn't mean both schools didn't want the players.   I'm just going off memory.

MarkCharles

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2010, 04:07:09 PM »
Truth be told - and I don't say this as a homer...I've always felt Roy Williams comes off a little fake..or too aww shucksey...plus..he didn't exactly guide last year's ultra talented UNC team to a good year..(but he does have the UNC brand and a National Championship to point to!)
I completely agree about Roy Williams. Is it just me, or did his accent get about 1000% more southern twang once he went to UNC? Its really hard to believe the false modesty and self-deprication from a guy whose resume can only be matched by about 6 or 7 coaches in college history.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2010, 04:08:09 PM »
It must be sweet to be JP though, he goes to a BBQ for some free food, and we all salivate.  I go to a BBQ for some free food, and I get stopped to pay...

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »

Travis Diener - MU  (though Dick Bennett didn't think he would be a prime Big Ten player)
Scott Merritt - MU
Steve Novak - MU
Brian Butch - UW-madison
Wes Matthews - MU
Vander Blue - MU

I'd take our 5 against their 5 any day of the week.

On a side note, Bo's recruiting has really started to slip.  There is a fallacy out there that Bo always won with guys that weren't talented, but that is simply not the case.

Year4 stars+Total Recruits
02      3      5
03      1      3
04      1      3
05      2     4
06      2     3
07      2     3
08      2     5
09      0     2
10      1     4
11      0     3
12      0     1

Over ther first 7 years, 50% of all players UW recruited were 4 stars or above (according to scout).  Thus far for the 09-12 classes, only 1 in 10 is a 4 star (Anderson, haha).  Now, we all know recruiting rankings aren't the end all-be all but this is pretty interesting to note.

Back on topic, I won't count Buzz out on getting JP until he makes his decision known.
[/table]

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 04:52:44 PM »
I was told Mader was there as well....6'10 guy from appleton.  This article says he is leaning towards Marquette, if he receives an offer.  I say "if" because the other two schools he is hearing from are Indiana St. and Milwaukee.

<http://www.wissports.net/sports/hoopsb/blog/message.aspx?f=123&id=1144310>

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2010, 04:53:39 PM »
I'd take our 5 against their 5 any day of the week.

On a side note, Bo's recruiting has really started to slip.  There is a fallacy out there that Bo always won with guys that weren't talented, but that is simply not the case.

Year4 stars+Total Recruits
02      3      5
03      1      3
04      1      3
05      2     4
06      2     3
07      2     3
08      2     5
09      0     2
10      1     4
11      0     3
12      0     1

Over ther first 7 years, 50% of all players UW recruited were 4 stars or above (according to scout).  Thus far for the 09-12 classes, only 1 in 10 is a 4 star (Anderson, haha).  Now, we all know recruiting rankings aren't the end all-be all but this is pretty interesting to note.

Back on topic, I won't count Buzz out on getting JP until he makes his decision known.
[/table]

This was the point I was trying (admittedly inarticulately) to make. Wisconsin's recruiting in the last few years has dropped off. Marquette's is on the upswing. In any head to head battle where the schools start on even remotely even footing, I like Buzz's chances.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2010, 05:02:32 PM »
Is it just me, or did his accent get about 1000% more southern twang once he went to UNC? Its really hard to believe the false modesty and self-deprication from a guy whose resume can only be matched by about 6 or 7 coaches in college history.
Nope, its definitely not just you - though Roy was born in NC, he certainly didn't sound the part when coaching Kansas..now that he's back in NC, he's really rediscovered his twang.  Also his aww schucksy bit has gotten a little annoying too.  Buzz reminds me of a combo of Jimmy Johnson/Bill Parcells...charismatic, great at understanding human psyche, intelligent, disciplinarian...a leader of man..or a man's man.  I believe most players select a school to play at due to the head coach, first and foremost..and then other factors such as TV exposure, NBA track record, conference affiliation, campus environment, etc.  I like that Buzz is our Coach..my belief is that he will land a Top 30 kid or two almost every year moving forward..particularily if the Big East remains in tact.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2010, 05:45:39 PM »
It's been interesting split, but my memory (someone can and most certainly will correct me if it's wrong) was like this

UW-madison and MU went after these kids

Travis Diener - MU  (though Dick Bennett didn't think he would be a prime Big Ten player)
Scott Merritt - MU
Steve Novak - MU
Brian Butch - UW-madison
Wes Matthews - MU
Vander Blue - MU

Now someone will probably say that any number of the above players one party wasn't that interested or only gave a mild interest.  In some cases one of the schools was eliminated very early so it appeared no recruiting battle existed, but that doesn't mean both schools didn't want the players.   I'm just going off memory.

Crean went hard after Mike Wilkinson and also recruited Devin Harris.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »
Nope, its definitely not just you - though Roy was born in NC, he certainly didn't sound the part when coaching Kansas..now that he's back in NC, he's really rediscovered his twang.  Also his aww schucksy bit has gotten a little annoying too.  Buzz reminds me of a combo of Jimmy Johnson/Bill Parcells...charismatic, great at understanding human psyche, intelligent, disciplinarian...a leader of man..or a man's man.  I believe most players select a school to play at due to the head coach, first and foremost..and then other factors such as TV exposure, NBA track record, conference affiliation, campus environment, etc.  I like that Buzz is our Coach..my belief is that he will land a Top 30 kid or two almost every year moving forward..particularily if the Big East remains in tact.

I was lucky enough to spend a fair amount of time with Dean Smith and Roy Williams.  Just because Buzz preaches the way he does (and I'm fine with that) doesn't mean those that don't preach, don't teach the same things.  In my opinion, Dean Smith and Roy Williams are two of the classiest coaches around, and UNC is lucky to have both.  There was a video on here a few days ago where Buzz explains how he talks different to kids than he does in a formal setting.  Seems odd to criticize a coach based on his twang...especially when Buzz admits to doing something similar. 

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
I was lucky enough to spend a fair amount of time with Dean Smith and Roy Williams.  Just because Buzz preaches the way he does (and I'm fine with that) doesn't mean those that don't preach, don't teach the same things.  In my opinion, Dean Smith and Roy Williams are two of the classiest coaches around, and UNC is lucky to have both.  There was a video on here a few days ago where Buzz explains how he talks different to kids than he does in a formal setting.  Seems odd to criticize a coach based on his twang...especially when Buzz admits to doing something similar. 
Fair enough - Buzz was referring to the type of language he uses when speaking to kids (not the accent with which he says what he says.)  My only issue with Roy has been that he sure seemed to kick in the NC twang once he got back to NC.  Buzz has a twang because he's from Texas - you don't hear Buzz trying to talk like he's from Wisconsin...Roy..on the other hand wasn't nearly as twang and aww shucksy at Kansas.  Not a big deal really - guess it was just more of an annoyance.  Can't argue with Roy's results.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 06:44:51 PM »
UW also won the "battle" for JP Gavinski.

Sometimes when you lose....you really win.

I don't think UW went after Merritt. They may have recruited him but I don't think they ever offered.

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 07:22:29 PM »
Truth be told - and I don't say this as a homer...I've always felt Roy Williams comes off a little fake..or too aww shucksey...plus..he didn't exactly guide last year's ultra talented UNC team to a good year..(but he does have the UNC brand and a National Championship to point to!)

I completely agree about Roy Williams. Is it just me, or did his accent get about 1000% more southern twang once he went to UNC? Its really hard to believe the false modesty and self-deprication (sic) from a guy whose resume can only be matched by about 6 or 7 coaches in college history.

As someone with connections to both schools I can assure you that Roy is as genuine and and as fine a man as you would ever hope to have coaching your son. He is truly modest and self deprecating, is deeply religious and is hardly ever heard uttering anything stronger than "gosh darn." This past season was very tough on him and the fact that he still coached while in great pain after having his shoulder surgery says a lot about the man. Roy had a very tough childhood growing up in the home of an extremely abusive father and for him to become the man he did is a testament to his faith and to his personal strength. Read his new autobiography and you'll not speak ill of him again.

His reputation for being a milk and cookies coach is well deserved and his home is always open to current and former players for Wanda's famous chocolate chip cookies. Every December he has the best Chapel Hill men's clothing store open early one morning and his assistant coaches and staff are given free reign to shop to their hearts content as their Christmas present from him.

K may be a good coach but he can't even be compared to Roy or Dean when it comes to character, compassion and genuine humanity.

As far as accent goes, when I lived in Milwaukee while attending MU, I picked up the Wisconsin elongated "O", and was teased by friends back in Ohio about my "Wisconsin accent." Twenty-five years ago I traveled to West Texas for business for several years and I would be gone for a week at a time. When I got home my wife would tell me to lose the drawl.....my point being that if you're around it long enough, old accents return and new accents develop.

And yes, he does have TWO national championships in five years to point to....
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 07:27:50 PM by texaswarrior74 »

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 07:26:35 PM »

K may be a good coach but he can't even be compared to Roy or Dean when it comes to character, compassion and genuine humanity.

What are you basing this pretty damning opinion on again?  You've met coach K?

texaswarrior74

• All American
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 07:49:53 PM »
Lived and worked in NC....at Duke Med... been to games at Cameron and the Dean Dome....K is foul mouthed, abrasive and abusive and most of his players can't wait to leave. Unlike UNC, they don't come back summer after summer to play pick up with the new kids or make their presence felt on campus. In short, their is no such thing as a "Duke family."

K is highly disliked in and around the RDU area (with the obvious exception being in Durham) and in NC in general. Both he and his wife (also with the mouth of a truck driver) have zero presence in the community...anything he does is calculated to make him look better and were it not for his pal Dickie V he'd have very few friends in the coaching fraternity.

His national public persona is nothing like the real person....you can question me all you want but if you know the area, Durham and Chapel Hill are eight miles apart and growing together. Durham is the gang capital of NC and outside of Duke has little else to recommend it. Chapel Hill is quaint and maybe the quintessential college town, is highly educated with more PH.D's per capita than anywhere in the US and a great place to live. Most people who work at Duke spend most of their leisure time in Chapel Hill either for dining or shopping. K is on record as saying that he has never been to Chapel Hill other than for games in all the years he has been at Duke.

Lastly, two years ago, Eve Carson, the UNC student body president and a very close friend of my son was kidnapped and brutally murdered by two Durham gang members shortly before the UNC/Duke game at Cameron. The Duke student body organized an event to honor her memory prior to the game and gave away Carolina Blue ribbons to everyone at the game. The Duke and UNC players in a rare pregame ceremony both went to center court and honored her....the entire Duke team and coaching staff wore the blue ribbons...that is, except for K....he refused to wear anything that was Carolina blue .....

What few non-Duke fans he had in the state he lost that night. Do your homework and read local (Carolina) press and blogs....the man is for the most par reviled....with good reason.

It's not damning when it's true.....

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 07:57:19 PM »
Some anecdotes from Carolina....... you can find things that make coach K look like a saint in the media as well.  Unless you've met the man and gotten to know him......who knows what these guys are really like away from the court.

coach k is a saint:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4961273

feedback