collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: HBO considering offering HBO GO w/o cable  (Read 170060 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: HBO considering offering HBO GO w/o cable
« Reply #125 on: June 11, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »
To be clear (and to not purport to be something I'm not), I only took the ASTB; I was booted during my pre-comm at Great Lakes...  evidently, my right eye wasn't quite as sharp as I thought it was (20/50).  Incidentally, I came to find out much later that the USAF would have welcomed me with open arms when my cousin - who was reserve USMC during college and has worse vision than I do - got accepted to OTS.  So instead of being a grunt in a Jump Jet, he's now a KC-135 bus driver, and I'm just damn good at giving him sh%# about it.  He's on deployment right now, so I appreciate you helping me keep my skills sharp.

The Navy has always had the tougher eye test. You experienced the NAMI Whammy which is an anal assault through the eye socket. The best score ever recorded on the Navy eye test was by Ted Williams. People might not know The Splinter was a Marine fighter pilot who served in both WW2 and Korea. Imagine his numbers if he didn't miss those seasons in his prime.

Be sure to let your cousin know that he passes gas for a living. Those guys form the sky bridge that keeps the 24/7 airlift moving. While not as glamorous as flying a fast mover it is a critical link in our strategic superiority.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #126 on: June 11, 2013, 06:12:47 PM »
The Navy has always had the tougher eye test. You experienced the NAMI Whammy which is an anal assault through the eye socket. The best score ever recorded on the Navy eye test was by Ted Williams. People might not know The Splinter was a Marine fighter pilot who served in both WW2 and Korea. Imagine his numbers if he didn't miss those seasons in his prime.

Be sure to let your cousin know that he passes gas for a living. Those guys form the sky bridge that keeps the 24/7 airlift moving. While not as glamorous as flying a fast mover it is a critical link in our strategic superiority.

The splendid one will be back in 100 years when he thaws out from cryogenics. 

reinko

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 11, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »

Well at least the top part of him.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #128 on: June 11, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »

Certainly one of the most morbidly grotesque family sagas out there. I believe Walt Disney is also kept in the same cryogenic facility. There is a doleful pathos about such desperation. Just a small measure of poise and grace serves one's memory far better than wistful lunacy. 

Death on call

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 12, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »
I believe Walt Disney is also kept in the same cryogenic facility.

That's a myth. I was just up at Disney studios for work, and asked about that myself.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: June 12, 2013, 03:17:05 PM »
That's a myth. I was just up at Disney studios for work, and asked about that myself.

Correct....as a former employee of Disney (Angels and Mighty Ducks), I can confirm.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 12, 2013, 03:29:32 PM »
Correct....as a former employee of Disney (Angels and Mighty Ducks), I can confirm.

Is his unfrozen head on display somewhere that only Disney employees are allowed?
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #132 on: June 12, 2013, 06:05:56 PM »

Chico

What is correct? That Walt's head is in storage or that the story is a myth? Is Walt Disney's Cranial Disposition part of New Employee Orientation? While nowhere near enthralling as the Richard Gere Gerbil Legend it would be a damn shame to ruin a perfectly wonderful cocktail anecdote.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:37 PM »
Is his unfrozen head on display somewhere that only Disney employees are allowed?

He was cremated....but fun stories abound where his ashes are buried.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #134 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »
Chico

What is correct? That Walt's head is in storage or that the story is a myth? Is Walt Disney's Cranial Disposition part of New Employee Orientation? While nowhere near enthralling as the Richard Gere Gerbil Legend it would be a damn shame to ruin a perfectly wonderful cocktail anecdote.

He was not frozen, he was embalmed two days after death for his wake.  Then cremated and buried at Forest Lawn in Glendale, CA.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2013, 02:57:59 AM »
He was not frozen, he was embalmed two days after death for his wake.  Then cremated and buried at Forest Lawn in Glendale, CA.

Chico

If this is true then how is it that Disney's dying words were, "Kurt Russell?" There is something very sinister about this.

And how do you explain Walt Disney's Quest for Global Domination?

http://www.jinxmagazine.com/disney.html

Death on call

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2013, 09:16:30 AM »

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #137 on: June 13, 2013, 09:56:34 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/business/media/gatekeepers-of-cable-tv-try-to-stop-intel.html?ref=technology&_r=0

no monopolies here... nope... nothing at all but us poor cable companies...

The State of Wisconsin once banned the sale of "Oleo," seeing it s a threat to the dairy industry.

Death on call

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:27 AM »
I recall the oleo runs to IL in my youth with my parents smuggling contraband across the IL/WI border

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 13, 2013, 11:01:20 AM »
Chico

If this is true then how is it that Disney's dying words were, "Kurt Russell?" There is something very sinister about this.

"Kurt Russell... make sure you keep casting him... must make him forget... about Fred MacMurray's advances."
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #140 on: June 13, 2013, 11:48:11 AM »
I recall the oleo runs to IL in my youth with my parents smuggling contraband across the IL/WI border

I seem to recall that when WI finally allowed oleo sales it forbade the use of yellow dye so that margarine was an industrial gray color. Government's patronizing oversight is ridiculous if not insulting.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #141 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:53 AM »
Chico

Kurt was my assistant Little League coach in Thousand Oaks, CA about 35 years ago.  His sister, Jill, was our head coach (she was married to Larry Franco...producer of Batman movies, Whitehouse Down, Jurassic Park, etc).  Jill's son, Matt Franco was on my Little League team and eventually played for the Chicago Cubs, New York Mets and Atlanta Braves (ultimately caught up in the Mitchell report).  Kurt, in his own right was a very solid baseball player.  A few years later, my sister (an outstanding softball pitcher) played with Matt's sister throughout high school (Kurt's niece) and Kurt would bring Goldie Hawn to the games.  Down to earth guy, very pleasant...just one of the boys.

An article from the LA Times when we were in high school.  http://articles.latimes.com/1987-07-01/sports/sp-508_1_minor-league-baseball

To this day, if you watch a Kurt Russell movie that Larry Franco was involved in (Escape from New York, the Thing, etc) watch the entire credit listing and you can see Matt Franco listed as an "assistant to the assistants".   Trivia you can only get here boys and girls.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 12:10:40 PM by ChicosBailBonds »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 13, 2013, 12:23:39 PM »
Sponsored by the same industry that made sure WI had butter yellow license plates for years. IIRC it took changing the state constitution to change the plate color to anything but yellow

I seem to recall that when WI finally allowed oleo sales it forbade the use of yellow dye so that margarine was an industrial gray color. Government's patronizing oversight is ridiculous if not insulting.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #143 on: June 13, 2013, 01:17:36 PM »
Like I said, we would do a la carte very easily, but the media companies make it financially impossible.

Testifying in front of Congress yesterday...one of my bosses.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv-executive-blasts-broadcasters-congress-20130612,0,7516703.story

Chicago_inferiority_complexes

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 13, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Like I said, we would do a la carte very easily, but the media companies make it financially impossible.

Testifying in front of Congress yesterday...one of my bosses.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/envelope/cotown/la-et-ct-directv-executive-blasts-broadcasters-congress-20130612,0,7516703.story

Wow. Is the public position of DirecTV in favor of government enforced ala carte?

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #145 on: June 13, 2013, 01:27:39 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/13/business/media/gatekeepers-of-cable-tv-try-to-stop-intel.html?ref=technology&_r=0

no monopolies here... nope... nothing at all but us poor cable companies...

They're not monopolies, they have to compete with two major satellite companies as well as the phone companies.  What is at play here are MFNs. 

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2013, 01:41:44 PM »
They're not monopolies, they have to compete with two major satellite companies as well as the phone companies.  What is at play here are MFNs. 

Not entirely accurate. The cables were granted territorial exclusivity, thereby giving them market monopolies. Challenges through choice came only later with tech innovation in the form of satellite then OTT Content delivery.

Death on call

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: June 13, 2013, 07:42:04 PM »
Not entirely accurate. The cables were granted territorial exclusivity, thereby giving them market monopolies. Challenges through choice came only later with tech innovation in the form of satellite then OTT Content delivery.

Yes, territorial (or franchise) monopolies which they pay dearly for.  My point is that just because they have a franchise territory (which they bid and paid for from the gov't), a citizen does not have to use them.  They have two satellite options, a telco option, rabbit ears, OTT, etc.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #148 on: June 13, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »
Wow. Is the public position of DirecTV in favor of government enforced ala carte?

I believe his point was fairly clear, the laws put on the books years ago in the form of "MUST CARRY" and other such laws (SHVERA) have resulted in much of the mess the public hates now.  Fix the laws.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2013, 10:43:50 AM »
You would think that at some point, one of the cable network families (because no one has just one cable network anymore) goes rogue and decides to offer a la carte.  Hypothetically, let's say Viacom.

So DTV, Dish, Comcast, TW, Brighthouse, etc. start offering an a la carte option that offers any combination (or all) of Comedy Central, Logo, BET, Spike, TV Land, Nick at Nite, Nickelodeon, TeenNick, Nicktoons., Nick Jr., MTV, VH1, MTV2, Tr3s, CMT, & Palladia for - say - $6.95/mo for 1, $12.95 for any 4, $15.95 for 8, or $19.95 for all 16 -- in lieu of a full cable/sat package.  IMO, that's something that would appeal to many households with children and teens - personally, I would certainly reattach the cable for a 4-pack.  Some of the smaller networks who get a mere penny or two per subscriber now see opportunity for growth and decide to put their offerings on a la carte.  With expanded options, more and more households drop the full package for a la carte.  But there's one holdout -- the conglomerate who makes the most from per subscriber fees: The Mouse.  So Mickey and Minnie start seeing their subscriber numbers fall and are forced to either i) cut per subscriber fees or ii) start offering a la carte.  Disney and others never wanted a la carte and never would have gone a la carte voluntarily, but they ended up being forced into doing so.

That's how this goes down -- it's not a matter of changing laws, it's a matter of time before the first network figures out how to be profitable in a la carte... the rest of the dominoes will fall in time.

feedback