[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 117256 times)

UWW2MU

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #550 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
So the Mrs. complains that I don't like enough "light" television.  Too often it's drama heavy or violence laden or just dark in general.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good light hearted show that is good to watch when you're in a bleh mood and need something to lighten your evening but is still high quality?   

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #551 on: November 18, 2019, 01:36:23 PM »
So the Mrs. complains that I don't like enough "light" television.  Too often it's drama heavy or violence laden or just dark in general.  Does anyone have any suggestions on a good light hearted show that is good to watch when you're in a bleh mood and need something to lighten your evening but is still high quality?

The Good Place.

I know I've recommended it on here before, but it strikes me as literally the perfect response to your question -- a good light-hearted show; very high quality. 

Seasons 1-3 are available on Netflix.  Season 4 is about half-way done.  I know that next week is the last new episode before they take a break until January.  I'm not sure if they're going to rerun the first half of S4 during the break.  If so, that sets up perfectly to start from the beginning of S1-S3 on Netflix, and be able to watch (or record) S4 starting the week after next.

And if you decide to start watching this show, start with S1E1 and watch it in order
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #552 on: November 18, 2019, 02:13:00 PM »
The Good Place.

I know I've recommended it on here before, but it strikes me as literally the perfect response to your question -- a good light-hearted show; very high quality. 

Seasons 1-3 are available on Netflix.  Season 4 is about half-way done.  I know that next week is the last new episode before they take a break until January.  I'm not sure if they're going to rerun the first half of S4 during the break.  If so, that sets up perfectly to start from the beginning of S1-S3 on Netflix, and be able to watch (or record) S4 starting the week after next.

And if you decide to start watching this show, start with S1E1 and watch it in order.
I was going to write the same thing.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #553 on: November 18, 2019, 02:56:59 PM »
Burrow, it's interesting that you mention Lindelof. When I saw he was involved, it dampened my enthusiasm. I lost interest in The Leftovers by the middle of season 2 and the way he paced the show had everything to do with it.

I watched the 1st episode of Watchmen and saw similarities right away. I will watch the rest of season 1 when I can binge it in a couple of months. Hoping I am not disappointed.

Quick bump on this - I'm biased in favor of wanting to like the Watchmen because I absolutely loved The Leftovers - probably one of my favorite pieces of TV ever. It definitely got pretty out there, but in a way I liked (and if I'm being honest, probably started feeling invested in liking). 

That being said, I'm putting The Watchmen on hold and I'm going to crash-read the novel.  I watched the first couple episodes, and between finding it hard to get invested in the universe and seeing all the commentary from other nerd-connoisseurs say that the added context of the novel helps a lot, I'm going to read it then binge the first season of the show.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #554 on: November 19, 2019, 12:18:44 PM »
She's great. Calls out the other idiots on their crap and doesn't give a crap herself. Ashton can't be proud watching his weak drunk game back on TV.

Hope the new deckhand is Ashton's buddy from last season.

Can't believe it's Riley. She's awful (well, for the most part). It looks like perhaps Brian gets on Riley and makes Court cry. That would be upsetting yet good for me (so I still have a shot with Court).

Lots of illness this season so far.. first Kevin with the sh1ts... Tanner... then Brian's knee... Bri's hangover and love sickness..

I can't believe how weak Ashton's game is bru
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #555 on: November 19, 2019, 01:37:18 PM »
The Good Place.

And if you decide to start watching this show, start with S1E1 and watch it in order.

We did like the first season, but the second season just didn't have the same feeling.  Like it was forced and they struggled to come up with a good story line.  May give season 3 a shot.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #556 on: November 19, 2019, 01:42:38 PM »
We did like the first season, but the second season just didn't have the same feeling.  Like it was forced and they struggled to come up with a good story line.  May give season 3 a shot.

It's not a comedy, but give The Crown a try. Like you, I watch a lot of dark series and occasionally, I just need a break.

The Crown is as well written and acted as any show on TV. It really gives a different perspective on the kingin' and queenin' thing.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #557 on: November 19, 2019, 02:34:54 PM »
Are we allowed to talk about The Mandalorian? Do you guys/gals like it through two episodes?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #558 on: November 19, 2019, 02:46:19 PM »
Are we allowed to talk about The Mandalorian? Do you guys/gals like it through two episodes?

I love it. Closest thing they've put out in tone and scope of the OT since the OT.

I love that the Mandalorian seems competent but still a work in progress, ie he's not a super hero, he's good but he can improve.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #559 on: November 19, 2019, 05:50:39 PM »

Letterkenny is well worth the effort.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #560 on: November 19, 2019, 06:15:09 PM »

Yeah, I’m anxiously waiting for more. The score is ridiculously well done too.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #561 on: November 19, 2019, 06:22:02 PM »
Yeah, I’m anxiously waiting for more. The score is ridiculously well done too.

I thought the first scene in episode one was damn close to perfect. I enjoyed the rest and the second episode, but couldn’t figure out why he just didn’t fly and land closer to his destination.

I like the grittiness of it, Rogue One is also my favorite Star Wars movie though, so I enjoy the non Skywalker focused stories.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #562 on: November 19, 2019, 06:25:48 PM »
Letterkenny is well worth the effort.

I’ve only seen a couple of snippets but that chick is hella hot
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

SERocks

• Team Captain
« Reply #563 on: November 20, 2019, 01:26:01 AM »

God Friended Me
The Unicorn
A Million Little Things

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #564 on: November 20, 2019, 06:50:52 AM »
God Friended Me
The Unicorn
A Million Little Things

How can you call A Million Little Things "light"? It's a drama about the aftermath of a suicide.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #565 on: November 20, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
Light might not be the right word, but it is a soap opera interpersonal relationship show.  No violence; not raunchy (not that all women dislike watching violent and/or raunchy shows and visa versa).  Potentially good couple viewing.  I liked the first season twists and turns well enough.  2nd season IMO is simplistic and predictable.

But we now have the Crown again.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #566 on: November 20, 2019, 09:54:28 AM »

I thought the Righteous Gemstones was worth it.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #567 on: November 20, 2019, 10:09:53 AM »
I thought the first scene in episode one was damn close to perfect. I enjoyed the rest and the second episode, but couldn’t figure out why he just didn’t fly and land closer to his destination.

I like the grittiness of it, Rogue One is also my favorite Star Wars movie though, so I enjoy the non Skywalker focused stories.

Put me in the Rogue One being a top-tier Star Wars camp.

That ending scene...

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #568 on: November 20, 2019, 11:19:03 AM »
Has anyone seen 'What We Do in the Shadows' on Hulu? I haven't seen the movie but the show is very funny.

The show is funny. The movie is 100x better. Seriously one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Probably the absolute peak of the mockumentary format so far. Taika Waititi is a genius.

As far as The Mandalorian, I really wanted to wait and binge it once it was all out, but social media has made that impossible. Even trying to avoid them, it felt like there were spoilers everywhere. Really like the show two episodes in.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #569 on: November 20, 2019, 03:12:11 PM »
The latest South Park episode with world’s strongest woman....awesome

Appreciated their point of nuance. Lots of bad faith individuals will try to exploit positive change and it is important not to see things in all or nothing.

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #570 on: November 20, 2019, 03:59:53 PM »

If you've got Prime The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is a good bet. It's very entertaining.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #571 on: November 20, 2019, 05:42:47 PM »
The show is funny. The movie is 100x better. Seriously one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Probably the absolute peak of the mockumentary format so far. Taika Waititi is a genius.

As far as The Mandalorian, I really wanted to wait and binge it once it was all out, but social media has made that impossible. Even trying to avoid them, it felt like there were spoilers everywhere. Really like the show two episodes in.

I'll have to check it out (probably after finals) and report back to you.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #572 on: November 20, 2019, 09:25:56 PM »
I'll have to check it out (probably after finals) and report back to you.

It's so good. So, so good. My wife discovered it on some 1 am movie channel and told me I had to watch it. It's brilliant.

I've been watching Watchmen on HBO. Cautiously at first, because I think of the original comic book series as gospel. I was skeptical they could pull it off, but I'm really impressed. Sister Knight and Looking Glass in particular are the kind of characters that fit perfectly into Alan Moore's world. I love the way they have mixed the original canon more and more into the framework of the new story. As someone that still reveres my first printings of the 1986 comics, I'm becoming steadily more pleased with the work Damon Lindelof and company have done.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #573 on: November 20, 2019, 10:11:06 PM »

Second the nomination for Mrs. Maisel. It's hilarious, and my wife loves it too.

And for those who don't mind profanity and zany sexual situations, Fleabag (also on Amazon Prime) is very funny.

For very light viewing, Atypical on Netflix is a nice show with a couple of good young actors. First 2 seasons better than the recently aired 3rd, though, IMHO.

GLOW is pretty fun, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #574 on: November 21, 2019, 05:21:05 PM »
Second the nomination for Mrs. Maisel. It's hilarious, and my wife loves it too.

And for those who don't mind profanity and zany sexual situations, Fleabag (also on Amazon Prime) is very funny.

For very light viewing, Atypical on Netflix is a nice show with a couple of good young actors. First 2 seasons better than the recently aired 3rd, though, IMHO.

GLOW is pretty fun, too.

I agree with all of the above. Though Fleabag does have some pretty dramatic moments.

feedback