[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 117263 times)

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #525 on: November 13, 2019, 01:31:02 PM »
Interesting to see the Jack Ryan hate.   I loved both seasons.  I finished S2 and then binge watched S1 for a 2nd time.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #526 on: November 13, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
Interesting to see the Jack Ryan hate.   I loved both seasons.  I finished S2 and then binge watched S1 for a 2nd time.

Half way through season 2 myself....I can see the rushed argument but I still think it's quality television. I would love this season to be twice as long and be a little more slow burn but I think it really does a good job of capturing Clancy's version of Jack Ryan. I do think some of the background info needs to be better articulated because I'm not sure that the general viewing public is well versed in who the KSK or BND are (as an example).

I wonder how many people read the Jack Ryan books versus just watching the show and where their hate/love falls.

Side note, I'm still patiently waiting for a movie and/or tv series adaptation of Red Storm Rising.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #527 on: November 13, 2019, 03:50:05 PM »
My thoughts exactly on premium streaming services:

We're back to where we were with just cable TV.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #528 on: November 13, 2019, 03:53:57 PM »
My thoughts exactly on premium streaming services:

Yup.  Fun times in the industry.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #529 on: November 13, 2019, 04:06:36 PM »

If only a company were to bundle them all together and charge a fee for doing so...

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #530 on: November 13, 2019, 04:10:07 PM »

Isn't change the thing that is supposed to happen, especially as technology evolves? Eventually, Netflix will run its course. Same with Apple +.

When the automobile was invented replacing horses, there was not one company that established order. There were dozens. Eventually it was sorted out. After it was sorted out, the changes continued over the years up until now. The delivery systems for TV will continue to change as well. And that is a good thing.

Cable (with internet) cost me $225 a month just 2 years ago. With YTTV, Netflix, Prime, HULU, and HBO, the cost goes down to less than $120. I can watch all the channels I watched before at a little over 1/2 the price. And, I expect over the next few years, I will make more changes. It's the nature of the beast.

So, I would contest your statement that we are right back to where we were. With cable, we had only one option. Today we have many. In the future, some of those options will remain; others will be gone - replaced by newer options.

I realize that you know this and were just making a flippant statement. So, this isn't an attempt to start an argument.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #531 on: November 13, 2019, 04:24:39 PM »
Or if you're like me and have a close group of friends all in their mid-20s. Everybody buys one and shares the password.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #532 on: November 13, 2019, 05:32:05 PM »
Half way through season 2 myself....I can see the rushed argument but I still think it's quality television. I would love this season to be twice as long and be a little more slow burn but I think it really does a good job of capturing Clancy's version of Jack Ryan. I do think some of the background info needs to be better articulated because I'm not sure that the general viewing public is well versed in who the KSK or BND are (as an example).

I wonder how many people read the Jack Ryan books versus just watching the show and where their hate/love falls.

Side note, I'm still patiently waiting for a movie and/or tv series adaptation of Red Storm Rising.

I was a big fan of the books, until the ghost writing started.

I also like that the series isnt tring to recreate the books, though they need to add Clark and Robby Jackson.  The plot in season 2 was either too slow or too quickly developing, made it hard to get a good rhythm going.  Should have added 2-4 more episodes to the season.

Red Storm Rising is a hugely underrated book and would be any awesome movie.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #533 on: November 13, 2019, 07:14:32 PM »
If only a company were to bundle them all together and charge a fee for doing so...

I can think of one that is already doing that three months ago and launching nationally in Q1...a combination of linear TV and all the TV apps...all on one device.   ;D
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #534 on: November 13, 2019, 07:15:30 PM »
Or if you're like me and have a close group of friends all in their mid-20s. Everybody buys one and shares the password.

And you wonder why Gen X and Baby Boomers want to screw over millenials....   ;)

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #535 on: November 13, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I am going to be watching Marquette basketball.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #536 on: November 13, 2019, 11:45:23 PM »
And you wonder why Gen X and Baby Boomers want to screw over millenials....   ;)

A lot of Boomers and Gen Xers I know give their passwords to their Millennial kids.

And folks wonder why you keep generalizing about crap you don't know.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #537 on: November 13, 2019, 11:53:17 PM »
A lot of Boomers and Gen Xers I know give their passwords to their Millennial kids.

I appreciate the support Mike, but I'm all good in this one. Just a good natured jab from CBB, nothing to it. Moving along.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #538 on: November 14, 2019, 05:05:44 AM »

Oh I am quite aware, but the frequency based on the data is night and day. You must have missed the smiley face I had, as well.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #539 on: November 14, 2019, 07:34:05 AM »

Wait, you saying I got this thing backwards?  As a Millennial, I've been giving my Boomer parents my Netflix and Amazon Prime password. You say I'm supposed to be getting something from them?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #540 on: November 14, 2019, 09:33:57 AM »

Perhaps, but at least not under the previous model... frankly, I see this as forcing the cable companies into an a la carte structure over time that will allow people to assemble their own "custom" bundles rather than have to pick from a handful of "forced" bundle options.

Otherwise, someone is going to figure this out and basically set up shop as an aggregator - basically an independent insurance sales agent... tell them what you need, and they will go out and put together a couple options for you to choose from.  You pay one bill to the aggregator who in turn pays the OTA's, so the consumer has one bill but multiple subscriptions.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #541 on: November 14, 2019, 10:25:38 AM »
Wait, you saying I got this thing backwards?  As a Millennial, I've been giving my Boomer parents my Netflix and Amazon Prime password. You say I'm supposed to be getting something from them?

You got a top-heavy economy, crippling national debt and the blame of a majority of that generation for the decay of American values. Are you saying Boomers owe us more than that?

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #542 on: November 14, 2019, 10:29:41 AM »
I was a big fan of the books, until the ghost writing started.

I also like that the series isnt tring to recreate the books, though they need to add Clark and Robby Jackson.  The plot in season 2 was either too slow or too quickly developing, made it hard to get a good rhythm going.  Should have added 2-4 more episodes to the season.

Red Storm Rising is a hugely underrated book and would be any awesome movie.

Agreed on the ghost writing.

I think Matice is playing the Clark role largely, but I'm not sure why they wouldn't just call him Clark. Agreed on Robby Jackson.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #543 on: November 14, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »

I never objected to cable tv - I just didnt like the inflexibility of their service.  Give me the super bundle and I'm happy - just let me choose what i watch and when. 

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #544 on: November 14, 2019, 06:15:30 PM »
I don't know about the rest of y'all, but I am going to be watching Marquette basketball.

I just started season 4, is it really worth sitting through all 100+ seasons?
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #545 on: November 14, 2019, 06:44:54 PM »
I just started season 4, is it really worth sitting through all 100+ seasons?

I recommend fast forwarding through most of the 90s.
Have some patience, FFS.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #546 on: November 14, 2019, 07:26:25 PM »
I recommend fast forwarding through most of the 90s.
If it were truly a network show, it would have been cancelled in 1988.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #547 on: November 14, 2019, 07:42:11 PM »
Perhaps, but at least not under the previous model... frankly, I see this as forcing the cable companies into an a la carte structure over time that will allow people to assemble their own "custom" bundles rather than have to pick from a handful of "forced" bundle options.

Otherwise, someone is going to figure this out and basically set up shop as an aggregator - basically an independent insurance sales agent... tell them what you need, and they will go out and put together a couple options for you to choose from.  You pay one bill to the aggregator who in turn pays the OTA's, so the consumer has one bill but multiple subscriptions.

It’s not the cable companies for the last time.  Sorry, not trying to be loud here.

The programmers mandate this.  Disney owns Nat Geo, Disney Channel, Free Form, ESPN, etc Etc...they force that all be sold together.  So the distributors are forced into an impossible situation of dropping them...lose subs...carry them all and everyone's rates go up to cover the costs.

So now you see DTC model, which is blissing customers off because they want it all in one place...but until the studios and programmers start selling it one by one, it will not happen.  Part of it is political because some of these channels simply would not survive on their own.  Try telling that to Congress when such and such channel that brings programming for such and such constituency cannot survive on its own...gets very messy quickly.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #548 on: November 15, 2019, 12:44:23 AM »
You got a top-heavy economy, crippling national debt and the blame of a majority of that generation for the decay of American values. Are you saying Boomers owe us more than that?

Some warm weather would be nice too

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #549 on: November 16, 2019, 10:16:55 AM »
The latest South Park episode with world’s strongest woman....awesome

feedback