[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 117198 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #300 on: August 27, 2019, 08:17:53 PM »
Are they all reality shows, mu03? If I had time to watch only one of those, which would you recommend and why?

Remember the old "Things I don't get" thread? "Reality" TV.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #301 on: August 27, 2019, 11:51:04 PM »
Mike, I don't know if you have HULU or not, but if so, here are 2 shows I highly recommend:

1) The Handmaid's Tale. Chilling and very well written and acted.

2) Fargo. 3 seasons. Like True Detective, each season is a different story. The Coen brothers are involved and these stories compare very favorably to the original movie. If it didn't already exist, the word "Quirky" would have been invented to describe this show.

There have also been a handful of other outstanding original series on HULU as well.

Thanks, my man.

Already all caught up on Handmaid's Tale, and we watched Fargo when it came out. All good stuff.

Sports are all the reality TV I need. I just don't see the point. I mean, from some of the stuff I've read, a lot of these reality TV shows actually are fake, which of course is the ultimate irony.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

reinko

• All American
« Reply #302 on: August 28, 2019, 02:51:21 AM »
Mike, I don't know if you have HULU or not, but if so, here are 2 shows I highly recommend:

1) The Handmaid's Tale. Chilling and very well written and acted.

2) Fargo. 3 seasons. Like True Detective, each season is a different story. The Coen brothers are involved and these stories compare very favorably to the original movie. If it didn't already exist, the word "Quirky" would have been invented to describe this show.

There have also been a handful of other outstanding original series on HULU as well.

I thought Pen15 on Hulu was fantastic

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #303 on: August 28, 2019, 07:40:34 AM »
My 16 year old just this week made my wife and I watch Derry Girls with her on Netflix.  I must say I found my self burst out laughing multiple times.  Very funny.  6-episode seasons and they are like 1/2 hour long episodes.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #304 on: August 28, 2019, 07:46:13 AM »
My 16 year old just this week made my wife and I watch Derry Girls with her on Netflix.  I must say I found my self burst out laughing multiple times.  Very funny.  6-episode seasons and they are like 1/2 hour long episodes.

It's taken Ireland by storm. They even have Derry Girls GAA jerseys
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #305 on: August 28, 2019, 07:56:56 AM »
Mentioned it before but I accidentally came across The Looming Towers on Hulu and thought it was great.  About the rift between the CIA and FBI leading up to 9/11.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #306 on: August 28, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »

Very good show.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #307 on: August 28, 2019, 09:32:47 AM »

I have been laughed out of dinner parties arguing that "reality TV" over the last two decades has been one of the main drivers of a societal crisis resulting in the cognitive deterioration of otherwise competent adults. It's a pox.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #308 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:01 AM »
I have been laughed out of dinner parties arguing that "reality TV" over the last two decades has been one of the main drivers of a societal crisis resulting in the cognitive deterioration of otherwise competent adults. It's a pox.

There has been serious conjecture that the show "16 and Pregnant" was a factor in the decline in the teen birth rate. It shows how much being a teenage mother really sucks: missing prom, not being able to go away to college, having a baby daddy who is a mouth-breathing loser who cheats on you and doesn't help with the baby, financially or otherwise, etc.

The "Teen Mom" shows, on the other hand, are trash.  A bunch of 23-year-olds that are  getting $250k+/year for appearing on the show and doing nothing with their lives except making more babies and buying sports cars and pets that crap all over their nice houses.
Have some patience, FFS.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #309 on: August 28, 2019, 12:22:41 PM »

I agree. Original and clever. Very good show.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #310 on: August 28, 2019, 01:35:34 PM »

My adult son loves that show. I tried watching first couple episodes and it didn't click with me. Maybe I'll try again.

Over the decades (centuries? millennia?) So many things have been declared to be the "ruination of society." But yes, agree, reality TV is the ruination of society!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #311 on: August 28, 2019, 02:00:11 PM »
My wife and I just finished the final season of Orange Is The New Black.

Overall, I thought the series was OK. At its best moments, it was very good, but it was uneven IMHO. So many of the scenes and situations were so over the top dopey that it sometimes made it difficult to believe the more serious points the show was trying to make. My wife liked the show, and she sometimes watches programs I like more than she does, so I took one for the team.

The final season also was OK. The theme was extremely political, focused mostly on the immigration issue. The writers and director definitely had an agenda. Those on one side of the aisle probably liked it more than those on the other.

What the show often had were some outstanding individual acting performances, and this final season was no different. I thought the two who really stood out were Danielle Brooks as Tasha "Taystee" Jefferson and a newcomer, Karina Arroyave, who played undocumented immigrant Karla Cordova.

The latter actress was especially impressive. It was not an easy role, and she played it courageously. I'm not ashamed to admit that the scene in which she tells her sons goodbye via telephone actually brought a tear to my eye. Several tears, in fact.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #312 on: August 28, 2019, 03:40:37 PM »
Dave Chapelle on Net Flix.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #313 on: August 28, 2019, 06:54:35 PM »
It's taken Ireland by storm. They even have Derry Girls GAA jerseys

Fock me.  I need one of those. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #315 on: August 30, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »
Has anybody seen “Top Boy:Summerhouse” on Netflix? Think of it as the BBC’s version of the Wire. There are only two seasons (and for the BBC each season is only 4 to 6 shows).

Pretty sure the two season originally aired around 2012/2013.

Definitely binge worthy.

I read that the response was so positive Netflix actually renewed it for a third season that will debut this fall.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #316 on: September 02, 2019, 09:32:08 AM »
M I N D H U N T E R

I'd seen Mindhunter mentioned in a couple of places (including this thread) so I decided to take a look yesterday.  I liked it a lot.  I'm five episodes in, I think.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #317 on: September 02, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
I'd seen Mindhunter mentioned in a couple of places (including this thread) so I decided to take a look yesterday.  I liked it a lot.  I'm five episodes in, I think.

Just finished Season 2. Last half focused on the Atlanta Child murders. As someone who lived relatively close to Atlanta at the time, it was very interesting.
Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #318 on: September 02, 2019, 05:46:44 PM »
Wu Assassins on Netflix is decent.  Love Iko Uwais in the Raid movies, Headshot, The Night Comes for Us, but this was just okay.  Confusing plot, solid action, but slow at times.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #319 on: September 03, 2019, 08:54:45 AM »
Dave Chappelle sticks and stones was pretty good

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #320 on: September 03, 2019, 09:57:17 AM »

It's interesting to see the commentary around Dave Chappelle and his latest stand-ups. He's seemingly turning the outrage culture on it's head a little bit and his focus seems to be re-establishing that comedians by design are envelope pushers and that means in all directions not just the "accepted" directions.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #321 on: September 03, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »

I agree.  There were several times when I found myself thinking, "holy sh*t, did he really just say that?!"
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #322 on: September 04, 2019, 07:34:32 AM »
I agree.  There were several times when I found myself thinking, "holy sh*t, did he really just say that?!"

Dave Chappelle is fearless. His Blind White Supremacist sketch was on of the most brilliant comedy pieces I have ever seen. And I am not sure it could play on basic cable these days.
Have some patience, FFS.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #323 on: September 04, 2019, 09:55:12 AM »
Dave Chappelle is fearless. His Blind White Supremacist sketch was on of the most brilliant comedy pieces I have ever seen. And I am not sure it could play on basic cable these days.

Strictly on his portrayals of both Clayton Bigsby and Prince, I do hope Chappelle is some day universally recognized for the comedic genius he is. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #324 on: September 04, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »
Binged Succession up to date. Really, really good show. Two complaints, first being the piano theme music is totally overplayed during the show. Second, the lack of framing the series in a sense of time.

Righteous Gemstones is good, but it seems like every episode is building into something great then falls short of really delivering.