[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???  (Read 117217 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: What Are You Watching in 2019 (or re-watching)???
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
Got the ad-version of Hulu free with my ad-free version of Spotify so I'm looking forward to watching the limited series Catch-22 show when it comes out in mid-May. Not necessarily a George Clooney just really curious how they adapt that book.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #176 on: May 22, 2019, 10:08:30 AM »
Fleabag, Season 2.  First two episodes down--love it.  Between this and Killing Eve, Phoebe runs two of my current favorite shows.

And just finished this season of Barry.  Another winner.

I guess I like dark comedies.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #177 on: May 22, 2019, 10:30:22 AM »
Fleabag, Season 2.  First two episodes down--love it.  Between this and Killing Eve, Phoebe runs two of my current favorite shows.

Barry was even better this season. Didn't love the finale (didn't hate it either), but the previous few episodes were spectacular.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #178 on: May 22, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »
Barry was even better this season. Didn't love the finale (didn't hate it either), but the previous few episodes were spectacular.
I find the girlfriend tedious but necessary, but the rest of it is fantastic.  I thoroughly enjoyed the GOT/Barry/Veep trio and will miss the other two.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #179 on: May 22, 2019, 10:47:39 AM »
Finished Season 1 of The Fall, on Netflix. Decent. Good cast, Jillian Anderson and Jamie Dornan are the leads.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:19:13 AM by lawdog77 »

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #180 on: May 22, 2019, 11:06:12 AM »

Fleabag is great.

Rewatching Boston Legal right now forgot how clever that show is and how great James Spader is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #181 on: May 22, 2019, 01:00:52 PM »
I find the girlfriend tedious but necessary, but the rest of it is fantastic.  I thoroughly enjoyed the GOT/Barry/Veep trio and will miss the other two.

You got that right about the trio. In an era where there are few "supernights" for TV, that was something.

My wife and I just started watching Chernobyl. Only saw episode 1 so far. Once we got past the British accents, we thought it looked like it will be worth watching another couple episodes to see if it's something we'll stick with.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #182 on: May 22, 2019, 10:03:10 PM »
Finished Fleabag.  What a great season.  And I love the 6 episodes 25 minutes each. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #183 on: May 26, 2019, 05:53:04 PM »
Tacoma FD.  Practically a reality show.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2019, 10:03:03 PM »
I don't know if this counts as a show or a movie, but the Lonely Island's "visual poem" about the Bash Brothers (on netflix) is a work of art.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #185 on: May 29, 2019, 02:45:41 AM »

I have never done more of a 180 on an actor than I have on Bill Hader in Barry. Truly great performance. Also Noho Hank might be my favorite supporting character of any show in a long time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #186 on: May 29, 2019, 07:29:34 AM »
Caught up on Chernobyl, having seen all 4 episodes so far of the 5-part miniseries.

Fascinating. Hard to watch at times (at MANY times). Great storytelling of a real human tragedy, but one that also includes many heroic acts. I have not been surprised to see it is one of the best-reviewed shows on TV right now.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #187 on: May 29, 2019, 03:17:01 PM »
Caught up on Chernobyl, having seen all 4 episodes so far of the 5-part miniseries.

Fascinating. Hard to watch at times (at MANY times). Great storytelling of a real human tragedy, but one that also includes many heroic acts. I have not been surprised to see it is one of the best-reviewed shows on TV right now.

My wife was a high school student in Poland when that happened.  She was upwind from the accident site, but in a safe range.  She said authorities just burst in the school and forced everyone to take iodine pills with no explanation.  She said it was a tough winter because later on everyone was told they could not eat the food from their gardens because they were likely contaminated from radiation.  Poles are meticulous on their gardens and this was unthinkable.   

MU82

• All American
« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
My wife was a high school student in Poland when that happened.  She was upwind from the accident site, but in a safe range.  She said authorities just burst in the school and forced everyone to take iodine pills with no explanation.  She said it was a tough winter because later on everyone was told they could not eat the food from their gardens because they were likely contaminated from radiation.  Poles are meticulous on their gardens and this was unthinkable.

Amazing story, MUFIC. Thanks for sharing.

Some of us (myself included) think we have it rough when we don't have a cellphone signal for 5 minutes. Stories like your wife's -- and much worse -- remind us how easy most of us have it.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #189 on: May 31, 2019, 01:06:36 AM »

Episode 4 was probably the most intense single tv episode I’ve ever watched. There were a few times I almost averted my eyes and had to do some deep breathing to make it through.

Have you seen the twitter threads by Russian journalist Slava Malamud? Amazing insight from behind the iron curtain.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #190 on: May 31, 2019, 05:01:33 AM »

top notch program

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #191 on: May 31, 2019, 07:26:08 AM »
Amazing story, MUFIC. Thanks for sharing.

Some of us (myself included) think we have it rough when we don't have a cellphone signal for 5 minutes. Stories like your wife's -- and much worse -- remind us how easy most of us have it.

My wife and mother-in-law swear they have life long health issues related to it.
They both have rheumatoid arthritis and migraines that have occurred later in life of which there has never been a history of at all in their family.  My mother-in-law has had back issues also of which there never was a history of at all in her family.  My wifes worries she will get the same issue. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #192 on: May 31, 2019, 08:31:35 AM »
Episode 4 was probably the most intense single tv episode I’ve ever watched. There were a few times I almost averted my eyes and had to do some deep breathing to make it through.

Have you seen the twitter threads by Russian journalist Slava Malamud? Amazing insight from behind the iron curtain.

I haven't seen those, BH. I try not to get sucked into the twitterverse too often but they sound worth a read.

My wife and mother-in-law swear they have life long health issues related to it.
They both have rheumatoid arthritis and migraines that have occurred later in life of which there has never been a history of at all in their family.  My mother-in-law has had back issues also of which there never was a history of at all in her family.  My wifes worries she will get the same issue. 

So sorry to hear about that, MUFIC.

It's amazing to see how close they came to entire nations becoming uninhabitable.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2019, 11:49:49 AM »
I haven't seen those, BH. I try not to get sucked into the twitterverse too often but they sound worth a read.

So sorry to hear about that, MUFIC.

It's amazing to see how close they came to entire nations becoming uninhabitable.

I'm not a big Twitter guy but this thread is fascinating as he basically talks about everything the series is getting right. For example, he noted that in one shot the thermos on a desk was actually made in the Soviet Union (he mostly does screenshots then analyzes them for accuracy and historical context). Amazing attention to detail in the show, similar to Mad Men.

In reality, it was the Chernobyl disaster that killed the USSR. The financial costs bankrupted the country more than the arms race ever did.

And, if you want to balance out the depressing feelings you get from watching Chernobyl, my wife and I just finished "Dead to Me" on Netflix. Kelly Bundy has aged well.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2019, 09:06:29 PM »
I'm not a big Twitter guy but this thread is fascinating as he basically talks about everything the series is getting right. For example, he noted that in one shot the thermos on a desk was actually made in the Soviet Union (he mostly does screenshots then analyzes them for accuracy and historical context). Amazing attention to detail in the show, similar to Mad Men.

In reality, it was the Chernobyl disaster that killed the USSR. The financial costs bankrupted the country more than the arms race ever did.

And, if you want to balance out the depressing feelings you get from watching Chernobyl, my wife and I just finished "Dead to Me" on Netflix. Kelly Bundy has aged well.

Very bold statement

MU82

• All American
« Reply #195 on: June 02, 2019, 10:05:15 PM »
Enjoyed the Deadwood movie.

It wasn't as good as the show -- a bit too much wrapped up with a bow, and sealed with a kiss -- and it wasn't even the best program I saw on HBO in the last week (Chernobyl was), but I am glad I watched it. Very entertaining.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #196 on: June 02, 2019, 10:22:02 PM »

Interesting statement.  Not sure I agree or disagree.  I enjoyed Dr. Farmer’s Soviet Poli Sci class at MU and wish he was still around to opine on that.  Chernobyl has been interesting to watch, even with the large latitudes the director has taken with the story (for example, the female scientist interviewing the victims in the hospital is an imaginary character).  The costs to clean up were enormous and remain so, but their economy was already in tatters for a number of other reasons.  Maybe it was the final straw to break the back of the camel?
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #197 on: June 03, 2019, 12:10:56 AM »
Just started Good Omens (Prime).  Very clever and entertaining.  But you have to have a sense for British humor, otherwise, it’s bollocks. 
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #198 on: June 03, 2019, 12:12:45 AM »
Just started Good Omens (Prime).  Very clever and entertaining.  But you have to have a sense for British humor, otherwise, it’s bollocks.

That’s the new David Tennant one correct? Previews looked good.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #199 on: June 03, 2019, 09:09:16 AM »
Dead to Me on Netflix.

Dark, funny, surprising. Enjoying it much more than I expected so far.

feedback