[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474842 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2500 on: May 14, 2020, 06:22:13 AM »
Here's why...because I appreciate athletes that play for the name on the front of their jerseys, not the back. That play for the love of the game and the school. Yes, I like pro sports and follow them, but there isn't a pro athletes that DOESN'T play for the $$. They all do, regardless of what they say.

Do coaches love the game? Do they love the school? Why do they insist on getting paid more than the equivalent of a scholarship? If they loved the game and the school, they would coach for free.

I'm a big believer in actions having consequences...you build character and shape the person you become later in life by the adversity you face. You make decisions in life, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. You learn more from the bad one's then you do the good one's. There is ZERO harm being done in making a kid sit out a year when he transfers. None whatsoever. In fact, It goes back to what i said..it should make you think long and hard about whether or not you REALLY want to transfer. Is it worth it to leave your teammates, Coaches etc that you formed a bond with just because you don't play enough?? Really?? You know what?? Work harder and get better. Not saying they don't work hard now, they do, but I have news for these kids...you may have been a star in HS, but it doesn't work that way once you get to college for a vast majority of them. There's people better than you, at everything you do. That's life, you accept it and learn from it. Don't run away from it...that's taking the easy way out. You're just going to pick up your ball and go home??

You say over and over again that there is ZERO harm making a kid sit out a year. That's easy for you to say because you aren't affected. You are very good at playing god with people's lives, guru, telling them what's harmful to them and what isn't. I say there is ZERO harm in letting a kid play right away. I say there would be ZERO harm making a coach sit out a year if he changes schools. And why should a basketball player have to sit out when a wrestler doesn't? Iowa draws 10,000 people to wrestling matches - it's a major sport there, and the athletes are on full rides. Same with lacrosse at many Eastern schools. Yet they don't have to sit out a year if they transfer. Why aren't they subject to ZERO harm? You know that a huge percentage of athletes who transfer are doing so because they want to move down a level. Why should they have to sit out? Who would they be harming by playing right away? Is it OK for you to better your life? Did you sit out a year every time you changed jobs?

Which leads me to my next point..the younger generation today is filled with the I I I I mentality, it's all about me..no one else matters. Everyone wants to just be "given" things rather then taking them, and earning them. The school recruited you because they believed in you, they gave you a free education, free room and board and experiences that most "normal" college students don't get to experience, so now things aren't going your way, so you just...leave?? And expect to be able to do it without consequences??

Ah ... now we're getting somewhere. You have an ax to grind against young people. Sorry to tell you this, my friend, but people of all ages are in it for themselves. I mean, in this post - and in many others on this subject - you have made it about yourself. YOU don't see why a transfer should get to play right away. YOU don't think there's any harm. YOU don't want things to change. YOU like to live in the past. That's an awful lot of guru guru guru guru mentality - no one else matters. So typical of your generation. You just want to be given entertainment by athletes who work 50-60-70 hours a week or more.

How's that going to work for you in the real world?? If you don't like your job are you just going to quit?? There's something to be said for dedication and devotion and COMMITMENT.

Yeah, don't you hate it when a coach quits on his team 10 seconds after telling them they have to be loyal to him? Shouldn't he face "consequences"?

When I was growing up and started playing sports, I was fortunate enough to never have had this problem, but my dad always told me...IF there ever comes a time where you aren't a starter, I don't want to hear a single complaint about it. If you're not starting it's because you didn't earn it, work harder, get better and MAKE then start you, but you don't just give up if you're not getting what you want.

You know a comment is about to be relevant to today when a 70-something starts out by saying, "When I was growing up ... "

He also made it 100% clear that if i ever got to play sports at the college level(I didn't), and committed to a school, he damn well better not hear a single word from me about transferring. That simply wasn't going to fly with him. But you know what?? I can honestly say that even though i was a starter in every sport I played in HS...all I cared about was winning. If someone played ahead of me, so be it. If it was best for the team and we won, that's all I would have cared about. Winning, winning and more winning. It's not about that anymore, it's all about "ME" now.

It's a shame you have such a low opinion of the athletes who bust their arses to entertain you. You sound like a person in the late innings of life who is sick of "these kids today," and who is afraid of change because "the old days" were always so much better.

Pretty much every argument you give in support of why an athlete in 5 sports should be denied the same rights as athletes in every other sport and the student body as a whole is based on your feelings about how it harms YOU.

Your right to cheer on a winning team. Your right to be entertained by athletes. Your right to have things be the same now as they forever have been.

You are a dinosaur, and the Mesozoic Era of college sports is about to end. You can hate it all you want, but within 2 years athletes will be able to profit off their likenesses and they will be able to transfer without having to sit out a year. And I am happy for them. They work their arses off for those rights.

And just like when blacks finally being allowed to play didn't ruin college sports, and just like when women getting athletic scholarships didn't ruin athletic departments, and just like when freshmen playing didn't ruin college sports, and just like when the 3-point line and shot clock didn't ruin basketball, and just like when the football playoff didn't ruin the regular season, you will have proven to be wrong about this personal affront to your rights as a fan.

The whole goddamn thing. Way to take it strong, Mike.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:52:00 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2501 on: May 14, 2020, 12:16:07 PM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2502 on: May 14, 2020, 12:25:19 PM »
Guru: I don't like the I I I I of the younger generation.

Also Guru: I'm not wearing a mask.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2503 on: May 14, 2020, 12:50:14 PM »
https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1260971079830515713

That didn't take long.

What's wrong with Matt Painter? Why do many of his best players leave?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2504 on: May 14, 2020, 01:09:03 PM »
No one wonders why kids commit to DePaul, for the dumpster fire that program is, they have had a pretty good offseason as far as landing transfers goes...no kid goes there with the hope of playing in the NCAA tournament, that's for sure...Marc H$u for the win.

I’m sure that they are selling how well the Charlie Moore transfer worked out for all involved.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2505 on: May 14, 2020, 01:13:43 PM »
I do, whoever plays for MU I cheer for and root for, but bottom line is, it's still about winning. I want Marquette to win as much as they possibly can while playing within the rules. Talent wins games, the more of it you have, the better your chances are of winning. Look at Texas Tech for example who is currently 2-3 over the scholarship limit. That means someone will undoubtedly get run off. Does Beard care?? Nope. Why?? because he has to do what's best for the program and the on the floor results. That is what you are judged by...right or wrong. You know what?? He is bringing in more talented players than some of the one's currently on his roster, and because of that they will win more games. He knows that.

If they win a National Championship this next season because he upgraded his roster, did he do the right thing?? No one could say he didn't.

What if he’s upgrading the talent by bringing in guys who play for the name on the back of the jersey instead of the name on the front?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2506 on: May 14, 2020, 01:15:18 PM »
https://twitter.com/NEblessed_20/status/1260971079830515713

That didn't take long.

If he isn't eligible right away....not sure what Michigan is doing
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2507 on: May 14, 2020, 01:36:42 PM »
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2508 on: May 14, 2020, 03:16:45 PM »
Get a life MU82

Despite the incredibly tiny size of your brain, it must be very crowded in your cranium what with the space I occupy in there.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 03:22:03 PM by MU82 »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2509 on: May 14, 2020, 03:54:15 PM »
Get a life MU82

"I read your entire response and then decided to respond 'get a life' unironically"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2510 on: May 14, 2020, 04:43:42 PM »
The Big 10 has to lead the country in intraconference transfers. Coaches must get real nervous during the handshake line after a game
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2511 on: May 14, 2020, 04:54:15 PM »
The Big 10 has to lead the country in intraconference transfers. Coaches must get real nervous during the handshake line after a game

I actually wish the BE would allow intra conference transfers...I mean, why not??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2512 on: May 14, 2020, 04:58:50 PM »
I actually wish the BE would allow intra conference transfers...I mean, why not??

Agreed.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2513 on: May 14, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
TN Titan Vol
@TNTitanVol
·
May 13
Mac McClung is transferring from Georgetown. His sister Anna played soccer for the Vols. Also his hometown of Gate City, VA is only 1.5 hrs from Knoxville. Also have heard his grandparents of Vol football season ticket holders.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2514 on: May 14, 2020, 06:00:32 PM »
What's wrong with Matt Painter? Why do many of his best players leave?

I get your sentiment but Nojel ain’t a best player.

That’s has Nojel Eastern’s mom written all over it. It was very public knowledge that she  absolutely loved Michigan when he was doing his college visits.

God she’s still nuts.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:02:54 PM by ChitownSpaceForRent »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2515 on: May 14, 2020, 06:47:06 PM »
I get your sentiment but Nojel ain’t a best player.

That’s has Nojel Eastern’s mom written all over it. It was very public knowledge that she  absolutely loved Michigan when he was doing his college visits.

God she’s still nuts.

I was just havin' some fun.

As for Nojel ... for a guy who wasn't good offensively, he sure had a lot of schools interested in him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2516 on: May 14, 2020, 07:03:34 PM »
I was just havin' some fun.

As for Nojel ... for a guy who wasn't good offensively, he sure had a lot of schools interested in him.

He was bad last year.  Chitown has been spot on with this kid.  Hope Howard gets the most out of him.  He’s in good hands with Howard and Martelli. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2517 on: May 14, 2020, 07:57:33 PM »
Despite the incredibly tiny size of your brain, it must be very crowded in your cranium what with the space I occupy in there.

Lol
A journalist commenting on brain capacity
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2518 on: May 14, 2020, 08:03:25 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
2m
Utah sophomore guard Both Gach, who declared for the NBA Draft, told me he will transfer if he removes his name. Sophomore guard averaged 10.7 points this past season.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2519 on: May 14, 2020, 08:04:33 PM »
Jeff Goodman
@GoodmanHoops
·
2m
Utah sophomore guard Both Gach, who declared for the NBA Draft, told me he will transfer if he removes his name. Sophomore guard averaged 10.7 points this past season.

Jayce seemed to love his time at MU. I wouldn’t hate having him if the option is him or an empty scholarship.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2520 on: May 14, 2020, 08:13:45 PM »
Jayce seemed to love his time at MU. I wouldn’t hate having him if the option is him or an empty scholarship.

He would be a very good get, and it helps he's from Minnesota and yes that Jayce can tell him all about the MU experience

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2521 on: May 14, 2020, 10:18:32 PM »

A journalist commenting on brain capacity

Thanks for the compliment.

Have a nice evening.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2522 on: May 14, 2020, 11:19:18 PM »

We agree, guru!

And, of course, they should be immediately eligible! 😎

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2523 on: May 15, 2020, 07:44:13 PM »
We agree, guru!

And, of course, they should be immediately eligible! 😎

If they are transferring to MU...then yes, I agree.  :D

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2524 on: May 16, 2020, 05:19:27 PM »
Hope posting about basketball is okay on this politics board.

I realize that we only have one scholarship left so I don't know if we'd get involved but...

https://twitter.com/goodmanhoops/status/1253033640306577414?lang=en

Sit one, play 3. 17 points and 7 boards per game as a Freshman is impressive.  Got some size too, 6-5 210. 43% from 3 on only 1 attempt per game so may be deceiving.  I'm hoping that the 114 DRtg is also deceiving with how god awful Holy Cross was last year.