[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474778 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2475 on: May 13, 2020, 03:16:07 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29170757/georgetown-mac-mcclung-withdraw-nba-draft-process-enter-transfer-portal

Gtown gonna be bad again next year.  Never really impressed with the Ewing hire, seemed like a desperate attempt to hold dear to the Big John era and keep him happy after what happened with JT3.

Can’t chase the ghosts of your past in sports.  The glory days are great to remember but the times change.  Some schools can’t get past that and it haunts them for decades
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2476 on: May 13, 2020, 03:17:33 PM »
Newbill was never a student at MU. He never completed his application and essay to be admitted, nor did he submit his high school transcripts. Maybe a better comparison is Wally Ellenson, Gabe Levin, Brett Roseboro or TJ Taylor who had the rug pulled for various reasons, some with shared accountabilities, some not.

Point is, it’s a cold business. If you are looking for a saint to follow in college athletics, you will be looking a long time.

that's the Buzz party line. He screwed over Newbill. The high school hadn't sent the final transcripts (it's not the kid's responsibility) but it was not that long after his graduation. June 30 is not an uncommon date for transcripts to not be received yet.

Levin didn't have the rug pulled out, he was miserable at MU for personal reasons.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #2477 on: May 13, 2020, 03:53:52 PM »
Frpm CBS
DePaul men’s basketball head coach Dave Leitao added a graduate transfer from Monmouth University today.

Guard Ray Salnave announced his intention to transfer to DePaul today.  Salnave entered the NCAA transfer portal a few weeks ago.

Salnave, a 6-3, 205 lb. guard, was named a second team All-Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference after averaging 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game.  Ray started in 27 games for the Hawks this season.  He led the team in steals with 1.5 thefts per game.  Salnave led the team’s starters in free throw shooting percentage while shooting 84.7 percent from the charity stripe.  He led the Hawks in three point shooting with 36.4 percent shooting from beyond the arc.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2478 on: May 13, 2020, 04:32:46 PM »
Frpm CBS
DePaul men’s basketball head coach Dave Leitao added a graduate transfer from Monmouth University today.

Guard Ray Salnave announced his intention to transfer to DePaul today.  Salnave entered the NCAA transfer portal a few weeks ago.

Salnave, a 6-3, 205 lb. guard, was named a second team All-Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference after averaging 14.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game.  Ray started in 27 games for the Hawks this season.  He led the team in steals with 1.5 thefts per game.  Salnave led the team’s starters in free throw shooting percentage while shooting 84.7 percent from the charity stripe.  He led the Hawks in three point shooting with 36.4 percent shooting from beyond the arc.

No one wonders why kids commit to DePaul, for the dumpster fire that program is, they have had a pretty good offseason as far as landing transfers goes...no kid goes there with the hope of playing in the NCAA tournament, that's for sure...Marc H$u for the win.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2479 on: May 13, 2020, 04:39:14 PM »
Frpm CBS

He was down to DP, SJ, and LMU. Was hoping Stan could land him.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2480 on: May 13, 2020, 04:42:12 PM »
At least Sam didn’t do us dirty this time, eh guru?

True But Sam liked Goodman’s Tweet of Turner heading back to BG. But Sam did not like Goodman’s or Daniels Tweet that Perez committed to Marquette.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2481 on: May 13, 2020, 04:57:18 PM »
Chemistry absolutely does matter, guru. I mean, a pretty good argument has been made that poor chemistry ruined our 2018-19 season.

And you are smart enough to know it's not about having a team of 13 studs OR a team of 13 players that gets along great. Ideally, you have studs who are great at playing together, and who are augmented by good role players who also are great teammates. Why is your instinct usually to go to an extreme or a hypothetical situation or both?

But sure, you need talent to win. Nobody is denying that.

I happen to mostly agree with you, as I lean toward "selective over-recruiting is OK if necessary." That leaves a lot of wiggle room for definitions, yes, but I think you know what I mean. If a player who is definitely better than one of our role players/subs was available, I would have no problem signing him and then, if Mane suddenly said, "Marquette here I come," I would make the difficult decision to cut somebody. It would suck for that kid, but it has been part of the game for a long time. Even at Marquette.

guru, I would like to see your response to Rico's post:

Why do you almost always side with the power brokers -- the NCAA, the universities, the big-money coaches? Why do you think it's OK for the very people who make it possible for you to enjoy your favorite college basketball team to always get the short end of the stick?

I mean, we all agree that you have to have talent to win. You have said it 1,000 times, and you're not wrong. But when that talent wants to be treated like an extremely important part of the equation, you say: "Tough. You will work 50-60-70 hours a week or more, you will get a scholarship and nothing else, you can't profit off your own likeness, and you will sit out a year if you transfer even though scholarship lacrosse players, wrestlers, volleyball players, etc, don't have to. You'll play by my rules, and if you don't like it go pound sand."

That doesn't seem consistent or logical for one who supposedly values talent as much as you claim to. Or do you only value talent in so far as that talent can serve your entertainment needs?

Here's why...because I appreciate athletes that play for the name on the front of their jerseys, not the back. That play for the love of the game and the school. Yes, I like pro sports and follow them, but there isn't a pro athletes that DOESN'T play for the $$. They all do, regardless of what they say.

I'm a big believer in actions having consequences...you build character and shape the person you become later in life by the adversity you face. You make decisions in life, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. You learn more from the bad one's then you do the good one's. There is ZERO harm being done in making a kid sit out a year when he transfers. None whatsoever. In fact, It goes back to what i said..it should make you think long and hard about whether or not you REALLY want to transfer. Is it worth it to leave your teammates, Coaches etc that you formed a bond with just because you don't play enough?? Really?? You know what?? Work harder and get better. Not saying they don't work hard now, they do, but I have news for these kids...you may have been a star in HS, but it doesn't work that way once you get to college for a vast majority of them. There's people better than you, at everything you do. That's life, you accept it and learn from it. Don't run away from it...that's taking the easy way out. You're just going to pick up your ball and go home??

Which leads me to my next point..the younger generation today is filled with the I I I I mentality, it's all about me..no one else matters. Everyone wants to just be "given" things rather then taking them, and earning them. The school recruited you because they believed in you, they gave you a free education, free room and board and experiences that most "normal" college students don't get to experience, so now things aren't going your way, so you just...leave?? And expect to be able to do it without consequences??

How's that going to work for you in the real world?? If you don't like your job are you just going to quit?? There's something to be said for dedication and devotion and COMMITMENT.

When I was growing up and started playing sports, I was fortunate enough to never have had this problem, but my dad always told me...IF there ever comes a time where you aren't a starter, I don't want to hear a single complaint about it. If you're not starting it's because you didn't earn it, work harder, get better and MAKE then start you, but you don't just give up if you're not getting what you want.

He also made it 100% clear that if i ever got to play sports at the college level(I didn't), and committed to a school, he damn well better not hear a single word from me about transferring. That simply wasn't going to fly with him. But you know what?? I can honestly say that even though i was a starter in every sport I played in HS...all I cared about was winning. If someone played ahead of me, so be it. If it was best for the team and we won, that's all I would have cared about. Winning, winning and more winning. It's not about that anymore, it's all about "ME" now.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2482 on: May 13, 2020, 05:01:06 PM »
Here's why...because I appreciate athletes that play for the name on the front of their jerseys, not the back. That play for the love of the game and the school. Yes, I like pro sports and follow them, but there isn't a pro athletes that DOESN'T play for the $$. They all do, regardless of what they say.

I'm a big believer in actions having consequences...you build character and shape the person you become later in life by the adversity you face. You make decisions in life, sometimes they are good and sometimes they are bad. You learn more from the bad one's then you do the good one's. There is ZERO harm being done in making a kid sit out a year when he transfers. None whatsoever. In fact, It goes back to what i said..it should make you think long and hard about whether or not you REALLY want to transfer. Is it worth it to leave your teammates, Coaches etc that you formed a bond with just because you don't play enough?? Really?? You know what?? Work harder and get better. Not saying they don't work hard now, they do, but I have news for these kids...you may have been a star in HS, but it doesn't work that way once you get to college for a vast majority of them. There's people better than you, at everything you do. That's life, you accept it and learn from it. Don't run away from it...that's taking the easy way out. You're just going to pick up your ball and go home??

Which leads me to my next point..the younger generation today is filled with the I I I I mentality, it's all about me..no one else matters. Everyone wants to just be "given" things rather then taking them, and earning them. The school recruited you because they believed in you, they gave you a free education, free room and board and experiences that most "normal" college students don't get to experience, so now things aren't going your way, so you just...leave?? And expect to be able to do it without consequences??

How's that going to work for you in the real world?? If you don't like your job are you just going to quit?? There's something to be said for dedication and devotion and COMMITMENT.

When I was growing up and started playing sports, I was fortunate enough to never have had this problem, but my dad always told me...IF there ever comes a time where you aren't a starter, I don't want to hear a single complaint about it. If you're not starting it's because you didn't earn it, work harder, get better and MAKE then start you, but you don't just give up if you're not getting what you want.

He also made it 100% clear that if i ever got to play sports at the college level(I didn't), and committed to a school, he damn well better not hear a single word from me about transferring. That simply wasn't going to fly with him. But you know what?? I can honestly say that even though i was a starter in every sport I played in HS...all I cared about was winning. If someone played ahead of me, so be it. If it was best for the team and we won, that's all I would have cared about. Winning, winning and more winning. It's not about that anymore, it's all about "ME" now.

If you care about kids that play for the name on the front of jersey and not the back, then you shouldn’t have a problem who wears that jersey and cheer which ever kid wears it, regardless of talent level

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2483 on: May 13, 2020, 05:14:53 PM »
If you care about kids that play for the name on the front of jersey and not the back, then you shouldn’t have a problem who wears that jersey and cheer which ever kid wears it, regardless of talent level

I do, whoever plays for MU I cheer for and root for, but bottom line is, it's still about winning. I want Marquette to win as much as they possibly can while playing within the rules. Talent wins games, the more of it you have, the better your chances are of winning. Look at Texas Tech for example who is currently 2-3 over the scholarship limit. That means someone will undoubtedly get run off. Does Beard care?? Nope. Why?? because he has to do what's best for the program and the on the floor results. That is what you are judged by...right or wrong. You know what?? He is bringing in more talented players than some of the one's currently on his roster, and because of that they will win more games. He knows that.

If they win a National Championship this next season because he upgraded his roster, did he do the right thing?? No one could say he didn't.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2484 on: May 13, 2020, 05:18:05 PM »
I do, whoever plays for MU I cheer for and root for, but bottom line is, it's still about winning. I want Marquette to win as much as they possibly can while playing within the rules. Talent wins games, the more of it you have, the better your chances are of winning. Look at Texas Tech for example who is currently 2-3 over the scholarship limit. That means someone will undoubtedly get run off. Does Beard care?? Nope. Why?? because he has to do what's best for the program and the on the floor results. That is what you are judged by...right or wrong. You know what?? He is bringing in more talented players than some of the one's currently on his roster, and because of that they will win more games. He knows that.

If they win a National Championship this next season because he upgraded his roster, did he do the right thing?? No one could say he didn't.

Then why should kids play for the name on the front of the jersey knowing they could be replaced? 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2485 on: May 13, 2020, 05:21:50 PM »

"No one could say he didn't "?  I don't think speaking in absolutes is wise. I think the kids and their families of the ones who get run off might. Maybe even thier high school and AAU coaches also. Might even see a tough article about the championship coach.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2486 on: May 13, 2020, 06:16:03 PM »
He was down to DP, SJ, and LMU. Was hoping Stan could land him.

St. John's pulled out because Figurora is coming back and they didn't have a scholarship. That's a bigger get for SJU and the BE.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2487 on: May 13, 2020, 06:43:10 PM »
Then why should kids play for the name on the front of the jersey knowing they could be replaced?

Have you ever done any volunteer work in your lifetime?? Sometimes you do things out of the goodness of your heart because you take a lot of pride in it, it makes you feel good, and you know you did something for others and not yourself. Whatever you do no matter who you are, you should do it first and foremost because it makes you happy and you take a lot of pride in what you do and how it affects others lives. If it's a job, sure you get paid and get benefits etc(as do kids who get scholarships etc), but you can be replaced tomorrow at your job without a moments notice. That's this thing called...life. Even if you are getting paid to do what you do, never knowing when it could be your last day, it should be more about what you accomplished that day and the product you made or whatever helped someone else in someway and you contributed to that. If you can't take pride in that and do it for the "team", that's what's wrong now days, everyone is about themselves, not the "team".

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2488 on: May 13, 2020, 07:17:01 PM »
Have you ever done any volunteer work in your lifetime?? Sometimes you do things out of the goodness of your heart because you take a lot of pride in it, it makes you feel good, and you know you did something for others and not yourself. Whatever you do no matter who you are, you should do it first and foremost because it makes you happy and you take a lot of pride in what you do and how it affects others lives. If it's a job, sure you get paid and get benefits etc(as do kids who get scholarships etc), but you can be replaced tomorrow at your job without a moments notice. That's this thing called...life. Even if you are getting paid to do what you do, never knowing when it could be your last day, it should be more about what you accomplished that day and the product you made or whatever helped someone else in someway and you contributed to that. If you can't take pride in that and do it for the "team", that's what's wrong now days, everyone is about themselves, not the "team".

A college athlete should play a sport for an university out of the goodness of their heart.

Mooooooooooo

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2489 on: May 13, 2020, 07:28:13 PM »
A college athlete should play a sport for an university out of the goodness of their heart.

Mooooooooooo

For the love of the game

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2490 on: May 13, 2020, 07:30:57 PM »
For the love of the game

Oh.  Well, you should be able to go to work wearing a mask for the love of your job.  You never know when you could lose it

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2491 on: May 13, 2020, 07:38:12 PM »
For the love of the game

Lol. I’m sure you have the same attitude as an employee right?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2492 on: May 13, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
Oh.  Well, you should be able to go to work wearing a mask for the love of your job.  You never know when you could lose it

I do wear a mask at work, I'm required to

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2493 on: May 13, 2020, 08:01:34 PM »
Lol. I’m sure you have the same attitude as an employee right?

I mean if you don't love the game, why are you playing it?? You're almost certainly not going to make it a career.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2494 on: May 13, 2020, 08:06:59 PM »
I do wear a mask at work, I'm required to

Why not leave?  You could be fired either way?  Some people like freedom

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2495 on: May 13, 2020, 08:07:44 PM »
I mean if you don't love the game, why are you playing it?? You're almost certainly not going to make it a career.

Just because you love something, doesn't mean you should have to do it for free.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2496 on: May 13, 2020, 08:44:21 PM »

Just because you love something, doesn't mean you should have to do it for free.

Of course not....but why does EVERYTHING someone does have to have a price tag attached to it?? I asked Rico the question before and the analogy is spot on. Why do volunteers do Volunteer work?? Because they love what they do, love doing things for others, and make it not about themselves. You hear people say it all the time when they volunteer for something how they get more out of that then anything they have ever done, and they don't collect a nickel for it.

We see the MU basketball team doing all the things they do in the community, reading to kids, visiting kids at hospitals etc. Absolutely wonderful gestures and I bet to a player they would tell you those things are invaluable to them. After you do things like that, you realize that you don't have it so bad after all, and there a lot less fortunate people in the world then being a college athlete, having a free education, room and board etc.

They have freedom...freedom to transfer to any University they choose at any time. Freedom to leave school and play overseas or go to the G league or whatever they want to do at anytime. No one is stopping them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2497 on: May 13, 2020, 10:21:41 PM »

Do coaches love the game? Do they love the school? Why do they insist on getting paid more than the equivalent of a scholarship? If they loved the game and the school, they would coach for free.

You say over and over again that there is ZERO harm making a kid sit out a year. That's easy for you to say because you aren't affected. You are very good at playing god with people's lives, guru, telling them what's harmful to them and what isn't. I say there is ZERO harm in letting a kid play right away. I say there would be ZERO harm making a coach sit out a year if he changes schools. And why should a basketball player have to sit out when a wrestler doesn't? Iowa draws 10,000 people to wrestling matches - it's a major sport there, and the athletes are on full rides. Same with lacrosse at many Eastern schools. Yet they don't have to sit out a year if they transfer. Why aren't they subject to ZERO harm? You know that a huge percentage of athletes who transfer are doing so because they want to move down a level. Why should they have to sit out? Who would they be harming by playing right away? Is it OK for you to better your life? Did you sit out a year every time you changed jobs?

Ah ... now we're getting somewhere. You have an ax to grind against young people. Sorry to tell you this, my friend, but people of all ages are in it for themselves. I mean, in this post - and in many others on this subject - you have made it about yourself. YOU don't see why a transfer should get to play right away. YOU don't think there's any harm. YOU don't want things to change. YOU like to live in the past. That's an awful lot of guru guru guru guru mentality - no one else matters. So typical of your generation. You just want to be given entertainment by athletes who work 50-60-70 hours a week or more.

Yeah, don't you hate it when a coach quits on his team 10 seconds after telling them they have to be loyal to him? Shouldn't he face "consequences"?

You know a comment is about to be relevant to today when a 70-something starts out by saying, "When I was growing up ... "

It's a shame you have such a low opinion of the athletes who bust their arses to entertain you. You sound like a person in the late innings of life who is sick of "these kids today," and who is afraid of change because "the old days" were always so much better.

Pretty much every argument you give in support of why an athlete in 5 sports should be denied the same rights as athletes in every other sport and the student body as a whole is based on your feelings about how it harms YOU.

Your right to cheer on a winning team. Your right to be entertained by athletes. Your right to have things be the same now as they forever have been.

You are a dinosaur, and the Mesozoic Era of college sports is about to end. You can hate it all you want, but within 2 years athletes will be able to profit off their likenesses and they will be able to transfer without having to sit out a year. And I am happy for them. They work their arses off for those rights.

And just like when blacks finally being allowed to play didn't ruin college sports, and just like when women getting athletic scholarships didn't ruin athletic departments, and just like when freshmen playing didn't ruin college sports, and just like when the 3-point line and shot clock didn't ruin basketball, and just like when the football playoff didn't ruin the regular season, you will have proven to be wrong about this personal affront to your rights as a fan.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 10:29:34 PM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2498 on: May 13, 2020, 11:07:50 PM »
McClung initial list:

Florida, Auburn, Texas A&M, Arkansas, USC, BYU, Wake Forest, Tennessee, Gonzaga, Utah, Arizona State, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State and Georgia,

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2499 on: May 14, 2020, 12:48:51 AM »
UNLV Jonah Antonio commits to Wake Forest

feedback