[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474764 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2450 on: May 12, 2020, 10:59:44 PM »
You can always make room for Mane if he wants to come and you don't have a scholarship available, and I suspect MU would do just that if that scenario played out. You have to get as much talent as you possibly can. Plus though it's doubtful, there is possibly a chance Bailey goes pro overseas or wherever. You can always find scholarships for talented players.

I don't see anyone out there that is good enough to cut one of our players for. That's not to say that there aren't players who are better than individual players on our roster, but no one who moves the needle enough to deal with the bad publicity and possible negative impacts on team chemistry that comes with cutting a player.

I think the staff is very comfortable with the roster as is. If Mane wants to hop on board too, that's gravy. The scholarship is his until he stops taking our calls.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2451 on: May 13, 2020, 07:19:15 AM »
I don't see anyone out there that is good enough to cut one of our players for. That's not to say that there aren't players who are better than individual players on our roster, but no one who moves the needle enough to deal with the bad publicity and possible negative impacts on team chemistry that comes with cutting a player.

I think the staff is very comfortable with the roster as is. If Mane wants to hop on board too, that's gravy. The scholarship is his until he stops taking our calls.

Maybe not now, though I do think there's a couple guys that just entered the portal that I would take over a few of the current guys. There's rumblings(don't know if they have any substance) that Terrance Shannon from TTU may look to transfer..wouldn't you take him?? From Chicago. DePaul fans are already thinking he'd be a lock to DePaul.  ::)
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2452 on: May 13, 2020, 07:29:04 AM »
You can always make room for Mane if he wants to come and you don't have a scholarship available, and I suspect MU would do just that if that scenario played out. You have to get as much talent as you possibly can. Plus though it's doubtful, there is possibly a chance Bailey goes pro overseas or wherever. You can always find scholarships for talented players.

If a current player was asked not to come back to make room for someone, I would make one post asking for the coaching staff to be removed and then would quit being a fan of Marquette until a new coaching staff was in place. 

That's not how you run things at this school guru.  I don't care what kind of win at all costs method you want to apply to this program.  If they hire Bruce Pearl, Pitino or any of the other corner cutters,  I'd be gone forever
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2453 on: May 13, 2020, 07:53:09 AM »
If a current player was asked not to come back to make room for someone, I would make one post asking for the coaching staff to be removed and then would quit being a fan of Marquette until a new coaching staff was in place. 

That's not how you run things at this school guru.  I don't care what kind of win at all costs method you want to apply to this program.  If they hire Bruce Pearl, Pitino or any of the other corner cutters,  I'd be gone forever

Doesn’t want players to earn off likeness but is okay cutting them for a more talented player.  Don’t understand that logic at all.

Mooooo
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2454 on: May 13, 2020, 07:59:17 AM »

Has your opinion changed since the Newbill incident?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #2455 on: May 13, 2020, 08:03:11 AM »
I know this is a hot button issue, and I'm not really trying to take a side here. 

Regarding the "free market" I feel bad for players when their coaches leave without warning and think that when that occurs the players should be able to transfer without sitting.  At the same time, you can't not feel bad for someone in Geno Ford's position.  He's staying loyal to his employer, he's not testing the free market, and yet his team just got gutted because of the free market. 

Now maybe there were forces in play that he could have controlled better (i.e. a hausergate situation), and I also realize that he gets paid more than most posters here, but when your job security depends on the actions of 18-22 year olds, and they have the option to do this, you can certainly find faults going both ways with the system. 

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1260295389737082881

Would this become a more common occurrence once the new transfer rules kick in?  Probably.  Would it occur frequently enough for there to be a legitimate push to re-instate the year in residency rule? IDK.  Since it would most likely only negatively effect mid-majors, would any movement every gain enough support to actually cause a change?  Probably not.

Again, not trying to take an official position here, I don't think there is "one" right answer to this problem, just pointing out the other side of the coin to all the "coaches can test the free market and leave whenever they want, leaving the student high and dry" argument.

Players transfer down too?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2456 on: May 13, 2020, 08:34:00 AM »

Newbill was never a student at MU. He never completed his application and essay to be admitted, nor did he submit his high school transcripts. Maybe a better comparison is Wally Ellenson, Gabe Levin, Brett Roseboro or TJ Taylor who had the rug pulled for various reasons, some with shared accountabilities, some not.

Point is, it’s a cold business. If you are looking for a saint to follow in college athletics, you will be looking a long time.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2457 on: May 13, 2020, 08:38:43 AM »

Not sure I knew the specifics, but I never agreed with the Newbill situation because it looked like he was cut and Buzz did some things I didn't care for. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2458 on: May 13, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
Newbill was never a student at MU. He never completed his application and essay to be admitted, nor did he submit his high school transcripts.

He was never admited because apparently the coaching staff told him to take his time submitting his application materials.  Obviously because Jamil's peeps had already reached out to Buzz.  It's a distinction without a difference.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2459 on: May 13, 2020, 09:00:03 AM »
He was never admited because apparently the coaching staff told him to take his time submitting his application materials.  Obviously because Jamil's peeps had already reached out to Buzz.  It's a distinction without a difference.

I am not going to rehash that story again here as that horse has been beaten to death.   That situation was very different.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2460 on: May 13, 2020, 09:27:28 AM »
I am not going to rehash that story again here as that horse has been beaten to death.   That situation was very different.

If the staff wanted DJ on the team DJ would’ve been at Marquette. It’s that simple. It wasn’t DJ’s fault or choice, the staff chose a different player to take over DJ.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2461 on: May 13, 2020, 11:50:27 AM »

This topic always send you over the edge...we know chemistry matters to you more than anything else. If only it were that easy Ted. You need talent to win.

Anyway, I highly doubt any of us would know for sure if a player was "run off" anyway. What if it was a mutual decision?? But it "looked" like he was run off. Second, you do realize that "cutting" players goes on at large High schools all over the country on a yearly basis right?? HIGH SCHOOLS.

Also, let us not forget scholarships are a year to year deal, no one is guaranteed one for four years. How about a walk on that is given a scholarship for a year and then doesn't get it the next year?? Are you okay with that??

I will tell you what, you can have your team of 13 players that all get along great and everything is rosy, but your guys aren't very good. I will take my team of more talented players and some issues  and I will beat you a vast majority of the time, on pure talent alone.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2462 on: May 13, 2020, 12:18:33 PM »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2463 on: May 13, 2020, 12:21:15 PM »
Anyway, I highly doubt any of us would know for sure if a player was "run off" anyway. What if it was a mutual decision?? But it "looked" like he was run off. Second, you do realize that "cutting" players goes on at large High schools all over the country on a yearly basis right?? HIGH SCHOOLS.

Other than maybe a few exceptions, high school players who get cut from their basketball teams don't lose thousands in scholarships. Many (most?) college players don't have the resources to attend the school they are at without the athletic scholarship forcing them to transfer to another school or drop out.

Also, let us not forget scholarships are a year to year deal, no one is guaranteed one for four years. How about a walk on that is given a scholarship for a year and then doesn't get it the next year?? Are you okay with that??

I've actually been wondering about this. A few years back a few posters were telling me that all the P5 schools were guaranteeing 4 year scholarships for their athletes (to justify having players take a year off if the transferred as a penalty year). I remember some articles being shared that confirmed that they were being offered but nothing that they were guaranteed. I honestly don't know how many if any D1 players are on multi-year scholarships. It certainly hasn't stopped coaches like Chris Beard from oversigning by 4 or 5 before beardtrimming some of his roster.

I have mixed feelings about cutting players. On one hand, scholarships are earned through athletic achievement. If a new recruit can bring more athletic achievement, I think it is fair to say that he earned the scholarship over a returning player (assuming the returner isn't on a multi-year scholarship). On the other hand, schools are supposed to be committed to their student athletes as students first. I don't like the idea of a student being forced to transfer academically because they lost their athletic scholarship.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2464 on: May 13, 2020, 01:24:19 PM »
To do what with the scholarship though? Do you call Mane and say “we’re tired of your NBA pursuit, if you want to play in college do it elsewhere.”

There’s no one worth spending the scholarship on and potentially a five-star guard on the other end if they hold it open. If the alternative is giving it to someone we don’t need or saving it for Mane or just banking if he doesn’t come, I’d save it.

If a Mac Etienne type reclassified then maybe you have a reason to move on, otherwise moving on only hurts you.

If Mac Etienne or Mane want to come to Marquette in the coming months but you don't have a scholarship, you do what other good programs do and take him and figure out the scholarship situation. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2465 on: May 13, 2020, 01:27:07 PM »

Lol - this is the exact type of post I was alluding to when Chris Beard had like 17 scholarship players on his roster a few weeks ago and I said this board would explode if Wojo oversigned.  Marquette fans can't handle that type of recruiting. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2466 on: May 13, 2020, 01:53:55 PM »
If Mac Etienne or Mane want to come to Marquette in the coming months but you don't have a scholarship, you do what other good programs do and take him and figure out the scholarship situation.

But that doesn't answer the "to do what with the scholarship" question. Right now, this is our expected roster for next year, and I am assuming Carton is eligible:

Guards: Carton, Elliott, Torrence, McEwen, Akanno

Wings: Bailey, Cain, Ighodaro, Garcia, (Perez RS)

Bigs: John, Lewis

So that's one scholarship left. Are there any guards who would definitively crack the lineup ahead of the guys we have? Are there any wings that clearly improve the roster, or even clearly impove the bench? I would see the argument for a big, but this staff hasn't really pursued bigs, so they seem comfortable with what we have.

I haven't seen any names so compelling that I think "gotta get that guy." Eastern is a bit intriguing, but sit-one/play-one when we have Perez seems redundant. I'm not convinced any of the low to mid major guys will really be that much better than say Koby, Elliott, Bailey, or Cain. If they do anything, it would be take minutes away from the youngsters that we want to develop.

If an Olivier Saar, Matt Haarms, Justin Turner, or Carlik Jones type was out there, then sure, but there doesn't seem to be, so why fill the scholarship just to fill it? I think it's more likely you would disrupt team chemistry than actually make your team better considering what the market looks like at this point.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2467 on: May 13, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
But that doesn't answer the "to do what with the scholarship" question. Right now, this is our expected roster for next year, and I am assuming Carton is eligible:

So that's one scholarship left. Are there any guards who would definitively crack the lineup ahead of the guys we have? Are there any wings that clearly improve the roster, or even clearly impove the bench? I would see the argument for a big, but this staff hasn't really pursued bigs, so they seem comfortable with what we have.

I haven't seen any names so compelling that I think "gotta get that guy." Eastern is a bit intriguing, but sit-one/play-one when we have Perez seems redundant. I'm not convinced any of the low to mid major guys will really be that much better than say Koby, Elliott, Bailey, or Cain. If they do anything, it would be take minutes away from the youngsters that we want to develop.

If an Olivier Saar, Matt Haarms, Justin Turner, or Carlik Jones type was out there, then sure, but there doesn't seem to be, so why fill the scholarship just to fill it? I think it's more likely you would disrupt team chemistry than actually make your team better considering what the market looks like at this point.

What about say...I don't know..Terrance Shannon??

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2468 on: May 13, 2020, 03:00:42 PM »

I haven't done enough research on any of the somewhat recent entrants to the portal to know if any are truly worth grabbing.  I will wait to do that (or assume others will provide the info) if/when it comes out that MU is interested.  Perez may have caused the Jalen Carey boat to sail, but I'd certainly take him as the 13th guy if that was still an option.  As I said a page or two ago, I think Wojo needs to at least be prepared for the chance that Carton's waiver gets denied, and also the chance the waiver gets denied and he just goes pro, therefore never playing for MU.  That opens up a spot.  We also still have the Bailey thing hanging out there - that could open another. 

I am not advocating adding any particular player, so the comment was more a general one.  But at some point you have to realize that Mane isn't coming here. If that changes in the next 30-60 days, great.  You find a spot.  But its unlikely to change.  Same for Etienne who not only needs to reclassify, but needs to pick Marquette amongst a slew of high major offers.  Long odds, IMO.  I also am not in love with saving a spot for a guy that seemingly would rather be elsewhere in Mane, but certainly he is talented enough that you make it work if you can add him. 

That all said, I don't necessarily expect to get on the same page as the guy that preferred to burn 2 scholarships (or maybe even 3-4 pending how Carton/BB situations play out!) over taking a chance on Perez.  So its probably just an agree to disagree thing, but yah - at some point, you just move on with 13 dudes that want to play for Marquette, and if Mane/Etienne come knocking down the road, you figure it out at that point.   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2469 on: May 13, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »
What about say...I don't know..Terrance Shannon??

Maybe if he transfers. But as far as I can tell, he hasn’t yet.

And I’ve never been a huge fan of the runoff. If we landed Shannon, for instance, that should take us out for Mane. But that’s just me.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2470 on: May 13, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »
I don’t understand all the hand wringing over cutting a player. Can’t they just change their username and come back?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2471 on: May 13, 2020, 03:09:27 PM »

how about pull a Buzz, claim the kid couldn't get admitted and send him packing in the summer?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2472 on: May 13, 2020, 03:10:21 PM »
This topic always send you over the edge...we know chemistry matters to you more than anything else. If only it were that easy Ted. You need talent to win.

I will tell you what, you can have your team of 13 players that all get along great and everything is rosy, but your guys aren't very good. I will take my team of more talented players and some issues  and I will beat you a vast majority of the time, on pure talent alone.

Chemistry absolutely does matter, guru. I mean, a pretty good argument has been made that poor chemistry ruined our 2018-19 season.

And you are smart enough to know it's not about having a team of 13 studs OR a team of 13 players that gets along great. Ideally, you have studs who are great at playing together, and who are augmented by good role players who also are great teammates. Why is your instinct usually to go to an extreme or a hypothetical situation or both?

But sure, you need talent to win. Nobody is denying that.

I happen to mostly agree with you, as I lean toward "selective over-recruiting is OK if necessary." That leaves a lot of wiggle room for definitions, yes, but I think you know what I mean. If a player who is definitely better than one of our role players/subs was available, I would have no problem signing him and then, if Mane suddenly said, "Marquette here I come," I would make the difficult decision to cut somebody. It would suck for that kid, but it has been part of the game for a long time. Even at Marquette.

guru, I would like to see your response to Rico's post:

Doesn’t want players to earn off likeness but is okay cutting them for a more talented player.  Don’t understand that logic at all.

Why do you almost always side with the power brokers -- the NCAA, the universities, the big-money coaches? Why do you think it's OK for the very people who make it possible for you to enjoy your favorite college basketball team to always get the short end of the stick?

I mean, we all agree that you have to have talent to win. You have said it 1,000 times, and you're not wrong. But when that talent wants to be treated like an extremely important part of the equation, you say: "Tough. You will work 50-60-70 hours a week or more, you will get a scholarship and nothing else, you can't profit off your own likeness, and you will sit out a year if you transfer even though scholarship lacrosse players, wrestlers, volleyball players, etc, don't have to. You'll play by my rules, and if you don't like it go pound sand."

That doesn't seem consistent or logical for one who supposedly values talent as much as you claim to. Or do you only value talent in so far as that talent can serve your entertainment needs?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2473 on: May 13, 2020, 03:11:18 PM »
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29170757/georgetown-mac-mcclung-withdraw-nba-draft-process-enter-transfer-portal

Gtown gonna be bad again next year.  Never really impressed with the Ewing hire, seemed like a desperate attempt to hold dear to the Big John era and keep him happy after what happened with JT3.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #2474 on: May 13, 2020, 03:15:41 PM »
What this doesn't talk about is the PG from Chicago Ewing landed earlier this week. I'm guessing that might have played a role in Mac's leaving. Still crazy that it is all happening though.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29170757/georgetown-mac-mcclung-withdraw-nba-draft-process-enter-transfer-portal

Gtown gonna be bad again next year.  Never really impressed with the Ewing hire, seemed like a desperate attempt to hold dear to the Big John era and keep him happy after what happened with JT3.

feedback