[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474865 times)

MUDPT

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2425 on: May 12, 2020, 02:35:24 PM »

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello
·
2m

Purdue junior Nojel Eastern has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN. Started 62 games the past two seasons, averaged 4.9 points and 2.7 assists last season.

Would have been the perfect piece next to Markus the last two years. Not sure about going forward.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2426 on: May 12, 2020, 02:39:56 PM »

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello

Stony Brook's Elijah Olaniyi is now in the transfer portal, sources told ESPN -- but not as a graduate transfer. Averaged 18.0 points and 6.5 rebounds last season, earned first-team All-America East honors.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2427 on: May 12, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello
·
2m

Purdue junior Nojel Eastern has entered the transfer portal, sources told ESPN. Started 62 games the past two seasons, averaged 4.9 points and 2.7 assists last season.

Would take him in a heartbeat and if I recall correctly we were in on him at some point

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2428 on: May 12, 2020, 03:33:59 PM »

Jeff Borzello

@jeffborzello

Stony Brook's Elijah Olaniyi is now in the transfer portal, sources told ESPN -- but not as a graduate transfer. Averaged 18.0 points and 6.5 rebounds last season, earned first-team All-America East honors.

Would take him in a heartbeat as well

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2429 on: May 12, 2020, 03:50:23 PM »
Talk about a guy who's never lived up to his potential...

Yup. His game was never going to translate well to college. Said three years ago he was going to be a mediocre college player.

Curious as to where he ends up. Maybe a lower tier major conference team like DePaul or a high mid major?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2430 on: May 12, 2020, 03:54:17 PM »
Talk about a guy who's never lived up to his potential...

Agree. Just a poor man’s Koby McEwen 

Just a bench guy - I’d rather see Elliot with any minutes he might get.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2431 on: May 12, 2020, 04:01:49 PM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
1h
Stony Brook guard Makale Foreman will graduate and transfer. Averaged 15.6 points and made 104 3-pointers last season.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2432 on: May 12, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »

Uhh what? Their game is nothing alike. Not to mention Eastern's advanced numbers are better, and lets not get started on their defense.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2433 on: May 12, 2020, 04:25:25 PM »

Yikes.  He really regressed last year.  What happened to him?  Woof.  Curious what happened in general in West Lafayette that both him and Haarms bolted
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2434 on: May 12, 2020, 04:31:14 PM »
I'd be more interested had Perez not committed.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2435 on: May 12, 2020, 04:31:28 PM »
Would take him in a heartbeat and if I recall correctly we were in on him at some point
And play him where? Kids big strong athlete with almost no skill
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2436 on: May 12, 2020, 04:32:34 PM »
Uhh what? Their game is nothing alike. Not to mention Eastern's advanced numbers are better, and lets not get started on their defense.

We are comparing people to Koby now? How about derrick wilson or jake thomas, wtf!?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2437 on: May 12, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
Yikes.  He really regressed last year.  What happened to him?  Woof.  Curious what happened in general in West Lafayette that both him and Haarms bolted

Wouldn’t be surprised if Eastern’s mom had some influence. She’s kinda psychotic and has unrealistic expectations.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #2438 on: May 12, 2020, 04:35:49 PM »
Eastern was one of the best defenders in the Big Ten. Good PG Skills, not much else on offense. Like I said, would have matched up perfectly with Markus (see Carsen Edwards, last year). Don’t see it now.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #2439 on: May 12, 2020, 05:16:18 PM »

I agree Hound. I should have clearly stated that I was referring in terms of how much they would contribute to the team rather than comparing their styles.

The one thing I like about his game is his toughness.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #2440 on: May 12, 2020, 05:37:15 PM »
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
1h
Stony Brook guard Makale Foreman will graduate and transfer. Averaged 15.6 points and made 104 3-pointers last season.

This guy can score in bunches, fearless, tough.  He would open up some lanes for Garcia. 

Check him out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1gMBJqi8Hw

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2441 on: May 12, 2020, 05:38:40 PM »
I'd be surprised if MU contacted any more transfers. I think that scholarship is Mane's until he says he's not coming.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2442 on: May 12, 2020, 05:47:19 PM »
I'd be surprised if MU contacted any more transfers. I think that scholarship is Mane's until he says he's not coming.

At some point you gotta move on.  I don't think saving it for Mane is a bad play, but at some point you stop holding a spot for a guy that seems awfully committed to be playing professionally. 

I think you also have to game plan for the real possibility that Carton doesn't get a waiver, or worse never plays for Marquette without a waiver. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2443 on: May 12, 2020, 06:13:54 PM »
At some point you gotta move on.  I don't think saving it for Mane is a bad play, but at some point you stop holding a spot for a guy that seems awfully committed to be playing professionally. 

I think you also have to game plan for the real possibility that Carton doesn't get a waiver, or worse never plays for Marquette without a waiver.

Exactly, and this is why I have wanted all along one more really good player that's eligible this year. Obviously none are going to be the quality of DJ, but if you can get a guy like Foreman, you take him A. Because it's somewhat of a "hedge" on Carton not getting a waiver and B. Even if Carton does get a waiver, I still think they need one more good player this year to be a legit NCAA tournament team.

My stance on Mane is that he's likely to stay in the draft regardless. Furthermore, he has had plenty of time to commit to MU if that's really what he wanted to do. I'm pretty sure the Coaches know whether he's worth waiting for or not, and we may just get our answer if we see them mentioned with other transfers, particularly Foreman from Stony Brook, as he is a grad transfer.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2444 on: May 12, 2020, 06:23:18 PM »
Exactly, and this is why I have wanted all along one more really good player that's eligible this year. Obviously none are going to be the quality of DJ, but if you can get a guy like Foreman, you take him A. Because it's somewhat of a "hedge" on Carton not getting a waiver and B. Even if Carton does get a waiver, I still think they need one more good player this year to be a legit NCAA tournament team.

My stance on Mane is that he's likely to stay in the draft regardless. Furthermore, he has had plenty of time to commit to MU if that's really what he wanted to do. I'm pretty sure the Coaches know whether he's worth waiting for or not, and we may just get our answer if we see them mentioned with other transfers, particularly Foreman from Stony Brook, as he is a grad transfer.

I agree with this
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2445 on: May 12, 2020, 06:25:03 PM »

To do what with the scholarship though? Do you call Mane and say “we’re tired of your NBA pursuit, if you want to play in college do it elsewhere.”

There’s no one worth spending the scholarship on and potentially a five-star guard on the other end if they hold it open. If the alternative is giving it to someone we don’t need or saving it for Mane or just banking if he doesn’t come, I’d save it.

If a Mac Etienne type reclassified then maybe you have a reason to move on, otherwise moving on only hurts you.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2446 on: May 12, 2020, 06:37:43 PM »
To do what with the scholarship though? Do you call Mane and say “we’re tired of your NBA pursuit, if you want to play in college do it elsewhere.”

There’s no one worth spending the scholarship on and potentially a five-star guard on the other end if they hold it open. If the alternative is giving it to someone we don’t need or saving it for Mane or just banking if he doesn’t come, I’d save it.

If a Mac Etienne type reclassified then maybe you have a reason to move on, otherwise moving on only hurts you.

You can always make room for Mane if he wants to come and you don't have a scholarship available, and I suspect MU would do just that if that scenario played out. You have to get as much talent as you possibly can. Plus though it's doubtful, there is possibly a chance Bailey goes pro overseas or wherever. You can always find scholarships for talented players.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2447 on: May 12, 2020, 06:47:46 PM »
You can always make room for Mane if he wants to come and you don't have a scholarship available, and I suspect MU would do just that if that scenario played out. You have to get as much talent as you possibly can. Plus though it's doubtful, there is possibly a chance Bailey goes pro overseas or wherever. You can always find scholarships for talented players.

If someone of Mane’s ability comes along, then sure. I don’t anticipate anyone like that suddenly popping up on the radar. You don’t fill a scholarship just to fill it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2448 on: May 12, 2020, 06:48:47 PM »

Agree

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2449 on: May 12, 2020, 10:05:27 PM »
I know this is a hot button issue, and I'm not really trying to take a side here. 

Regarding the "free market" I feel bad for players when their coaches leave without warning and think that when that occurs the players should be able to transfer without sitting.  At the same time, you can't not feel bad for someone in Geno Ford's position.  He's staying loyal to his employer, he's not testing the free market, and yet his team just got gutted because of the free market. 

Now maybe there were forces in play that he could have controlled better (i.e. a hausergate situation), and I also realize that he gets paid more than most posters here, but when your job security depends on the actions of 18-22 year olds, and they have the option to do this, you can certainly find faults going both ways with the system. 

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1260295389737082881

Would this become a more common occurrence once the new transfer rules kick in?  Probably.  Would it occur frequently enough for there to be a legitimate push to re-instate the year in residency rule? IDK.  Since it would most likely only negatively effect mid-majors, would any movement every gain enough support to actually cause a change?  Probably not.

Again, not trying to take an official position here, I don't think there is "one" right answer to this problem, just pointing out the other side of the coin to all the "coaches can test the free market and leave whenever they want, leaving the student high and dry" argument.