[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474885 times)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2375 on: May 06, 2020, 07:23:54 PM »
OMG the hell he wasn't...He was calling him a quitter etc, he was one of the most vocal about it. You know it too. Go look up the threads...MU82 was all over them railing on the kid...big time. I'm pretty sure I could find where you were too.

So i will ask you, in my example...kid plays for someone Tuesday night, Coach from another school calls after the game, says we'd really like to have you, so he transfers the next day leaving his team high and dry and is playing for a new team Saturday...you'd be okay with that??

under current rules that couldn't happen. A tennis player can transfer at the semester but is not eligible to play for another NCAA team that season. But, should the transfer regulations be waived I could see the arguments from the Bilas' and Goodman's of the world saying that should be permissible because they have to complain about something.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2376 on: May 06, 2020, 08:31:17 PM »
under current rules that couldn't happen. A tennis player can transfer at the semester but is not eligible to play for another NCAA team that season. But, should the transfer regulations be waived I could see the arguments from the Bilas' and Goodman's of the world saying that should be permissible because they have to complain about something.

In that case, Bilas and Goodman would be wrong.  There’s no feasible way to make that work, that’s why it’s a ridiculous argument. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2377 on: May 06, 2020, 09:10:14 PM »
Would you idiots get mommy to change your diaper, and go to bed?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2378 on: May 06, 2020, 09:46:09 PM »
So let me ask you this, and it's an honest and fair question...since you are all about the athlete and in favor of the one time transfer rule...would you be okay with it if a kid wanted to transfer somewhere else on a Tuesday after his current teams game, and played for his new team that same week on Saturday, leaving his old team high and dry??

I'll worry about this situation if there ever is a possibility of it happening. Creating strawmen out of hypothetical situations - especially those that are likely to never happen - is a tactic of a desperate debater.

Hmmmm so any reason is a good reason to transfer, and you are all for transfers...and yet you were one of the most vocal people here RAILING and I do mean absolutely beating the hell out of Sam when he transferred calling him a quitter etc. So, you can't have it both ways, right?? You didn't like that he transferred and hated his reason behind it even more, yet you say any reason is a good reason...so which is it??

Yes, I absolutely called Sam and Joey the Quitter Brothers, or something like that, because they quit on their team in 2018-19 and totally torpedoed a promising season. I stopped doing that, BTW, when calmer folks convinced me that it was bad form. But yes, I called them that.

However, that has nothing to do with the point you are desperately trying (and failing) to make here. My answer to your question would be:

Yes, that's a valid reason. Because Sam and Joey should not have even needed a reason. Just as they would have been allowed to transfer to Virginia and Michigan State and play lacrosse right away if they had been scholarship lacrosse players at Marquette, they should have been allowed to do the same as basketball players. It's an antiquated rule that has to go -- right there with "freshmen can't play on varsity" and "women don't deserve athletic scholarships" -- which is why it won't exist a year from now.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #2379 on: May 06, 2020, 09:51:44 PM »
OMG the hell he wasn't...He was calling him a quitter etc, he was one of the most vocal about it. You know it too. Go look up the threads...MU82 was all over them railing on the kid...big time. I'm pretty sure I could find where you were too.

Who hurt you?

So i will ask you, in my example...kid plays for someone Tuesday night, Coach from another school calls after the game, says we'd really like to have you, so he transfers the next day leaving his team high and dry and is playing for a new team Saturday...you'd be okay with that??

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2380 on: May 06, 2020, 10:23:57 PM »
I'll worry about this situation if there ever is a possibility of it happening. Creating strawmen out of hypothetical situations - especially those that are likely to never happen - is a tactic of a desperate debater.

Yes, I absolutely called Sam and Joey the Quitter Brothers, or something like that, because they quit on their team in 2018-19 and totally torpedoed a promising season. I stopped doing that, BTW, when calmer folks convinced me that it was bad form. But yes, I called them that.

However, that has nothing to do with the point you are desperately trying (and failing) to make here. My answer to your question would be:

Yes, that's a valid reason. Because Sam and Joey should not have even needed a reason. Just as they would have been allowed to transfer to Virginia and Michigan State and play lacrosse right away if they had been scholarship lacrosse players at Marquette, they should have been allowed to do the same as basketball players. It's an antiquated rule that has to go -- right there with "freshmen can't play on varsity" and "women don't deserve athletic scholarships" -- which is why it won't exist a year from now.

Okay, so let's take it a step further(and you'll bail on this because it's "hypothetical") so we let them transfer without having to sit out..Some kids transfer multiple times, should they be allowed to transfer say 3 different times in three years without having to sit out?? Because after all, if we are going to let them do it once, then eventually people will call for them to be allowed to do it as often as they want. Give them an inch, they will want a mile. Where does it stop??

No different then the NIL, okay for now they will get paid for their name, image and likeness, but eventually(and it WILL happen) people will say "that's not enough" and call for schools to make the students to get paid directly by the University. And then, at some point someone will say you know, these kids are getting paid now, there's no reason for them to take classes etc. It never ends..

And by the way, just because something is "antiquated" doesn't make it bad, or wrong. It just gets changed because enough people whine and complain about it and are "offended" by it, so people bow to the pressure and change it, even if it was fine the way it was. I can cite many examples of this in this world, but I will keep those to myself.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2381 on: May 06, 2020, 10:49:56 PM »
Okay, so let's take it a step further(and you'll bail on this because it's "hypothetical") so we let them transfer without having to sit out..Some kids transfer multiple times, should they be allowed to transfer say 3 different times in three years without having to sit out?? Because after all, if we are going to let them do it once, then eventually people will call for them to be allowed to do it as often as they want. Give them an inch, they will want a mile. Where does it stop??

No different then the NIL, okay for now they will get paid for their name, image and likeness, but eventually(and it WILL happen) people will say "that's not enough" and call for schools to make the students to get paid directly by the University. And then, at some point someone will say you know, these kids are getting paid now, there's no reason for them to take classes etc. It never ends..

And by the way, just because something is "antiquated" doesn't make it bad, or wrong. It just gets changed because enough people whine and complain about it and are "offended" by it, so people bow to the pressure and change it, even if it was fine the way it was. I can cite many examples of this in this world, but I will keep those to myself.

Change happens. That's why we have black athletes all across the country now. That's why we have women getting athletic scholarships. That's why we have freshmen eligible to play. That's why we have the shot clock. That's why we have the 3-point shot. That's why we have a college football playoff. Etc, etc, etc.

Each time, for each and every one of those situations (and plenty of others), people who were set in their ways argued vigorously against them. Title IX was going to ruin college football, and so on. Lots and lots and lots of Chicken Littling. And yet college sports are bigger than ever.

You keep asking me hypothetical questions. I'll ask you a real one: Why should scholarship lacrosse players and scholarship wrestlers be allowed to transfer and then play the next season on scholarships while scholarship basketball and scholarship baseball players can't?

As for your latest hypothetical question ... yes, if there is enough support to go from having a 1-time waiver to having repeated transfers keeping eligibility, it certainly could change again. And you will complain again. And I will remind you that life will go on again.

A coach can go from Kentucky one year to Syracuse the next year to BYU the next year to UCLA the next year. Doesn't matter if he has contracts. Doesn't matter if he preached loyalty to his players at every stop. He can do it. Why is it OK for a coach to have that level of freedom, but it's not OK for an athlete to have the freedom to better himself?

As for "give them an inch, they will want a mile" ... you might want to be careful with that wording. That's literally what white folks said during the Civil Rights movement, what men said as women slowly gained equal(ish) rights, what factory-owners said about paying fair wages to people working dangerous jobs, etc. I am NOT accusing you of being racist or sexist, just pointing out that such language doesn't really help your case.

People ALWAYS want more, guru. Darn that striving for freedom, financial independence, human rights, equality, dignity, justice ... all that dopey crud, you know?

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2382 on: May 07, 2020, 03:47:35 AM »
Why dont u two get a room?
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2383 on: May 07, 2020, 05:39:19 AM »
Slippery slope...

Well, if you let gay people marry, soon they'll want to marry their dog and then their tree, etc etc!!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2384 on: May 07, 2020, 06:54:35 AM »

This is really a poor way of making an argument.  Just because people want to change one thing, doesn't mean it opens the doors to everything.  This has been used as a reason not to change something for time eternal....and life just doesn't work that way.

For now, people want to simply give students one "free" transfer.  Maybe that will change in the future and students will get multiple transfers without waiting.  But that's really not a reason to not do it now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2385 on: May 07, 2020, 07:01:53 AM »

This is really a poor way of making an argument.  Just because people want to change one thing, doesn't mean it opens the doors to everything.  This has been used as a reason not to change something for time eternal....and life just doesn't work that way.

For now, people want to simply give students one "free" transfer.  Maybe that will change in the future and students will get multiple transfers without waiting.  But that's really not a reason to not do it now.

It's an odd arguing strategy, to go from "well, this strawman was too extreme so I'll make an EVEN BIGGER strawman." Sometimes you just gotta take the L.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2386 on: May 07, 2020, 07:27:59 AM »
Guys, just leave guru alone.  He doesn't know how to put forth a decent argument.  Engaging him always leads to these sorts of meltdowns.  The information he gathers daily is valuable.  It would be nice if he'd leave his emotions at the door, but that doesn't seem to be a possibility. 

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2387 on: May 07, 2020, 09:04:24 AM »
Ray Salnave down to 3 schools. one of them is LMU, go get him Stan, the other 2 are St. Johns and DePaul, DePaul makes no sense since they got 2 transfer
guards already so it might be St. Johns, his home.  Good luck Stan!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2388 on: May 07, 2020, 10:02:32 AM »
Hoping we get good news on Perez today.  5pm announcement.  Not sure if ET or CT. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2389 on: May 07, 2020, 10:06:38 AM »
Hoping we get good news on Perez today.  5pm announcement.  Not sure if ET or CT.

ET

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2390 on: May 07, 2020, 11:19:41 AM »
In that case, Bilas and Goodman would be wrong.  There’s no feasible way to make that work, that’s why it’s a ridiculous argument.

They'll find something to complain about. Kids having to earn a respectable GPA was unacceptable to them. When a kid says "I should be able to play immediately at my new school, and I mean right now" who's to say they won't say not letting him do it is unfair.

BTW, there is more opposition to immediate eligibility than people think.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2391 on: May 07, 2020, 11:35:53 AM »

Crystal bowel 100% for MU. One being Andrew Slater, who is plugged in on the east coast. Feeling pretty good about this one.

fwiw, MU would drop to 63 with Jose Perez on T-Rank (if he surprisingly got a waiver)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2392 on: May 07, 2020, 12:06:54 PM »
Crystal bowel 100% for MU. One being Andrew Slater, who is plugged in on the east coast. Feeling pretty good about this one.

fwiw, MU would drop to 63 with Jose Perez on T-Rank (if he surprisingly got a waiver)

I kind of doubt a waiver is in play for him unless NCAA does a blanket waiver.

I think he's much more of play of 21-22 when the roster projects to be veryyyyy thin (numbers-wise) and very young. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2393 on: May 07, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »
I kind of doubt a waiver is in play for him unless NCAA does a blanket waiver.

I think he's much more of play of 21-22 when the roster projects to be veryyyyy thin (numbers-wise) and very young.

Yep. If the crystal bowels aren't full of shyte, I will be glad to add this 6-5, experienced, athletic depth piece for the future.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2394 on: May 07, 2020, 12:13:47 PM »

This genuinely means nothing at this point. T-rank has been waaay over utilized on here (by myself included)

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2395 on: May 07, 2020, 12:17:37 PM »
i didn't realize Perez left the team in February due to personal issues.  On the surface he may have as good a case for a waiver as D.J.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #2396 on: May 07, 2020, 12:38:28 PM »
Per his twitter, Jonah Antonio is down to DePaul, BYU, and Rhode Island. Wish any player the best, but glad we are out.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2397 on: May 07, 2020, 01:00:44 PM »
i didn't realize Perez left the team in February due to personal issues.  On the surface he may have as good a case for a waiver as D.J.

I think even if he could get a waiver, the staff would want him to sit out next season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2398 on: May 07, 2020, 01:18:24 PM »
I think even if he could get a waiver, the staff would want him to sit out next season.
Im not sure about that.
If carton doesnt get a waiver, we have koby, greg,  symir and dex.  Oof
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2399 on: May 07, 2020, 01:33:52 PM »
Im not sure about that.
If carton doesnt get a waiver, we have koby, greg,  symir and dex.  Oof

If Carton doesn't get a waiver, woof in general.  Likely he never plays for Marquette if he doesn't get one.