[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474967 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2350 on: May 06, 2020, 02:04:05 PM »
Other than for the fact that you DESPISE the NCAA(and likely all big business) give me a VALID reason why he should get a waiver OTHER than "because he should". This ought to be good..

His coach got fired and he hasn’t had a waiver before.  I believe all student athletes should be allowed a one-time waiver.  Also, the NCAA is garbage
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2351 on: May 06, 2020, 02:11:25 PM »
His coach got fired and he hasn’t had a waiver before.  I believe all student athletes should be allowed a one-time waiver.  Also, the NCAA is garbage

So what?? The NCAA hasn't typically granted waivers for this before. You can think what you want about the NCAA, that's your prerogative. But, you're one of those kids that doesn't believe there should be rules for anything. Let everyone do whatever they want. That's your generation and how they think, so it's not just you.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2352 on: May 06, 2020, 02:14:54 PM »
So what?? The NCAA hasn't typically granted waivers for this before. You can think what you want about the NCAA, that's your prerogative. But, you're one of those kids that doesn't believe there should be rules for anything. Let everyone do whatever they want. That's your generation and how they think, so it's not just you.

Just stop with this nonsense.  Just because people don't feel that SAs should have to wait a year when they transfer, doesn't mean they believe there shouldn't be rules for anything or everyone should do what they want.  That is ridiculous hyperbole that only weakens your point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2353 on: May 06, 2020, 02:18:28 PM »

1. You have no idea how old I am.

2. If you read the whole post, I said I believe all student athletes should get 1 transfer with no waiver needed

3. If we’re tossing out generalities, then you’re of that generation that wants college athletes to entertain them and thank the man for the opportunity

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2354 on: May 06, 2020, 02:22:41 PM »

Just stop with this nonsense.  Just because people don't feel that SAs should have to wait a year when they transfer, doesn't mean they believe there shouldn't be rules for anything or everyone should do what they want.  That is ridiculous hyperbole that only weakens your point.

No it's not...Rico has made it abundantly clear NUMEROUS times, he wants student athletes to have free reign to do whatever they want because...F*uck the NCAA, because they make the rules. Just because HE doesn't like their rules doesn't mean they shouldn't be abided be. For the record, I'm not a fan of the NCAA either, but that doesn't mean SA should have free reign like Rico thinks they should.

I challenge you or Rico to come up with a VERY logical and VALID reason why student Athletes should be allowed to transfer without sitting out. However, with this you CANNOT use "because regular students can" or "because the NCAA sucks" or "coaches can do it". All VERY weak reasons. So I'm eliminating those. Better yet, tell me how a SA is irreparably harmed by having to sit a year.

For the record, I am all for SA's being granted waivers for valid reasons..Abuse from a former Coach etc, but not "just because a kid wants to be able to play". There is ZERO justifiable reason Olivier Sarr(or anyone else for this reason) should be allowed to play this year without sitting. How is it hurting him in any way by having to sit out?? Answer: it's not.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:25:28 PM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

• All American
« Reply #2355 on: May 06, 2020, 02:28:19 PM »
No it's not...Rico has made it abundantly clear NUMEROUS times, he wants student athletes to have free reign to do whatever they want because...F*uck the NCAA, because they make the rules. Just because HE doesn't like their rules doesn't mean they shouldn't be abided be. For the record, I'm not a fan of the NCAA either, but that doesn't mean SA should have free reign like Rico thinks they should.

I challenge you or Rico to come up with a VERY logical and VALID reason why student Athletes should be allowed to transfer without sitting out. However, with this you CANNOT use "because regular students can" or "because the NCAA sucks" or "coaches can do it". All VERY weak reasons. So I'm eliminating those. Better yet, tell me how a SA is irreparably harmed by having to sit a year.

Because I'm of the opinion the reasons usually given for waiting a year are "VERY weak" and therefore I am "eliminating" them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2356 on: May 06, 2020, 02:31:53 PM »

For the record, I am all for SA's being granted waivers for valid reasons..Abuse from a former Coach etc, but not "just because a kid wants to be able to play". There is ZERO justifiable reason Olivier Sarr(or anyone else for this reason) should be allowed to play this year without sitting. How is it hurting him in any way by having to sit out?? Answer: it's not.

How is it helping him by sitting out?  Answer: it’s not

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2357 on: May 06, 2020, 03:12:00 PM »
An adult should want what's best for the young athlete.

That's my succinct reason for believing Sarr should get to play immediately at Kentucky -- and Carton should get to play immediately at Marquette.

Why does an anonymous interwebs dude get to make the rules on what reason is "lame" or not?

I happen to believe that you wanting to inhibit the freedom of a fellow American is "lame."

Scholarship wrestlers, soccer players, volleyball players and swimmers do not have to sit out a year after they transfer. Neither do newspaper editors, tuba players or dancers who are on scholarship. Why should they enjoy freedoms that basketball, football, hockey and baseball players do not?

And, of course, even though you think it's "lame" ... we all know that coaches have just about total free agency, no matter what their contracts say.

Finally, it's easy for you to say that another person won't be "irreparably damaged" by a bad rule that inhibits freedom. Your freedom isn't being inhibited. Why do you only care about the freedom of the power brokers and not the freedom of the young athletes who work dozens upon dozens of hours every week to give you countless hours of enjoyment every basketball season?

The new rule is at most a year away, guru, so you're gonna have to find something else to whine incessantly about. I have confidence that you will!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2358 on: May 06, 2020, 03:18:50 PM »
An adult should want what's best for the young athlete.

That's my succinct reason for believing Sarr should get to play immediately at Kentucky -- and Carton should get to play immediately at Marquette.

Why does an anonymous interwebs dude get to make the rules on what reason is "lame" or not?

I happen to believe that you wanting to inhibit the freedom of a fellow American is "lame."

Scholarship wrestlers, soccer players, volleyball players and swimmers do not have to sit out a year after they transfer. Neither do newspaper editors, tuba players or dancers who are on scholarship. Why should they enjoy freedoms that basketball, football, hockey and baseball players do not?

And, of course, even though you think it's "lame" ... we all know that coaches have just about total free agency, no matter what their contracts say.

Finally, it's easy for you to say that another person won't be "irreparably damaged" by a bad rule that inhibits freedom. Your freedom isn't being inhibited. Why do you only care about the freedom of the power brokers and not the freedom of the young athletes who work dozens upon dozens of hours every week to give you countless hours of enjoyment every basketball season?

The new rule is at most a year away, guru, so you're gonna have to find something else to whine incessantly about. I have confidence that you will!
Don’t disagree here, though I suspect tuba players might find it hard to get a scholie at another school.......    ;)

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2359 on: May 06, 2020, 03:30:38 PM »
Odd... the tweet you posted says sit one then play one, with no mention of a waiver. Very confused what this outrage is coming from? A different tweet I'm not privy to?

there's an assumption. Every kid asks about a waiver upon deciding to transfer for whatever reason. Some are laughable requests (broke up with my GF was my favorite).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2360 on: May 06, 2020, 04:06:03 PM »
Perez announcing at 5pm tomorrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2361 on: May 06, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »
Jose Perez
@showout_zayy15
·
23m
I’ll be announcing my decision tomorrow at 5pm.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2362 on: May 06, 2020, 04:49:13 PM »
there's an assumption. Every kid asks about a waiver upon deciding to transfer for whatever reason. Some are laughable requests (broke up with my GF was my favorite).

Any reason is a good reason.

Making athletes who transfer sit out a season is a stupid and antiquated rule that’s about to be relegated to the ashbin of history
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2363 on: May 06, 2020, 05:01:01 PM »
Gut feeling I have is Perez it ISU

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2364 on: May 06, 2020, 05:03:51 PM »
Gut feeling I have is Perez it ISU
forgot to mention Koreem Ozier, Racine native has ISU in his final 6 too, was supposed to announce yesterday

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2365 on: May 06, 2020, 05:07:03 PM »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2366 on: May 06, 2020, 05:09:12 PM »

Making athletes who transfer sit out a season is a stupid and antiquated rule that’s about to be relegated to the ashbin of history

So let me ask you this, and it's an honest and fair question...since you are all about the athlete and in favor of the one time transfer rule...would you be okay with it if a kid wanted to transfer somewhere else on a Tuesday after his current teams game, and played for his new team that same week on Saturday, leaving his old team high and dry??

panda

• All American
« Reply #2367 on: May 06, 2020, 05:21:06 PM »
So let me ask you this, and it's an honest and fair question...since you are all about the athlete and in favor of the one time transfer rule...would you be okay with it if a kid wanted to transfer somewhere else on a Tuesday after his current teams game, and played for his new team that same week on Saturday, leaving his old team high and dry??

I’m sure it would be like any other student transferring. They would need to wait until the beginning of the next semester.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2368 on: May 06, 2020, 05:32:14 PM »
I’m sure it would be like any other student transferring. They would need to wait until the beginning of the next semester.

I don't disagree, I'm asking to see how much freedom he wants to give the student athletes, or if he wants them to have free reign(like in my example).

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2369 on: May 06, 2020, 06:23:42 PM »

Hmmmm so any reason is a good reason to transfer, and you are all for transfers...and yet you were one of the most vocal people here RAILING and I do mean absolutely beating the hell out of Sam when he transferred calling him a quitter etc. So, you can't have it both ways, right?? You didn't like that he transferred and hated his reason behind it even more, yet you say any reason is a good reason...so which is it??

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2370 on: May 06, 2020, 06:36:48 PM »
Hmmmm so any reason is a good reason to transfer, and you are all for transfers...and yet you were one of the most vocal people here RAILING and I do mean absolutely beating the hell out of Sam when he transferred calling him a quitter etc. So, you can't have it both ways, right?? You didn't like that he transferred and hated his reason behind it even more, yet you say any reason is a good reason...so which is it??

He wasn’t railing on Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2371 on: May 06, 2020, 06:50:21 PM »
He wasn’t railing on Sam

OMG the hell he wasn't...He was calling him a quitter etc, he was one of the most vocal about it. You know it too. Go look up the threads...MU82 was all over them railing on the kid...big time. I'm pretty sure I could find where you were too.

So i will ask you, in my example...kid plays for someone Tuesday night, Coach from another school calls after the game, says we'd really like to have you, so he transfers the next day leaving his team high and dry and is playing for a new team Saturday...you'd be okay with that??

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2372 on: May 06, 2020, 07:04:15 PM »
OMG the hell he wasn't...He was calling him a quitter etc, he was one of the most vocal about it. You know it too. Go look up the threads...MU82 was all over them railing on the kid...big time. I'm pretty sure I could find where you were too.

So i will ask you, in my example...kid plays for someone Tuesday night, Coach from another school calls after the game, says we'd really like to have you, so he transfers the next day leaving his team high and dry and is playing for a new team Saturday...you'd be okay with that??

That example is ridiculous and you know it.  If you read what I wrote, I said one time transfers with no waiver. 

• All American
« Reply #2373 on: May 06, 2020, 07:09:45 PM »

Let me guess, you were one of those who asked questions like "would you be OK if I married my dog?" after same-sex marriage was legalized.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2374 on: May 06, 2020, 07:10:46 PM »

Let me guess, you were one of those who asked questions like "would you be OK if I married my dog?" after same-sex marriage was legalized.

In before the lock and nodding in the affirmative