[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474906 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2325 on: May 05, 2020, 02:08:44 PM »
I can see you point of letting 13 players battle it out and let the best play. To me it's more pragmatic. There's no way to keep 12 or 13 players happy. We couldn't even keep 11 players. Ed saw his minutes decrease and left. What do you think would have happened if Oso was healthy and Dexter decided against a red shirt?

LOL. Oso is an incoming freshman.  Eke you mean? 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2326 on: May 05, 2020, 02:08:48 PM »
McEwen always had bad advanced stats against A+B competition, Perez at least performed strongly against A+B his frosh year.

Perez's in conference numbers progressed from his freshman to sophomore year.  But his top 50 and top 100 numbers regressed big time.  That signals to me he was incredible lucky as a frosh, coincidentally having his best games against his best competition.   That's a big red flag in my view.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2327 on: May 05, 2020, 02:10:56 PM »
If you use it on Perez, you can't use it for someone we are after in 2021. I would rather see it go to someone in that class since Perez won't be eligible until then anyway. If we just want a body, get Jonah Antonio who can provide minutes now and still turn into a freshman next year.

When you can get a Carton or Sarr, you always take that guy. The proven high-major player, absolutely. But if it's a project we want, make it a freshman. If someone like Perez wants to walk-on like Jake did, sure, but that's not where I'd put a scholarship.

I get that others disagree, I just don't find this the most efficient use of a scholarship.

Quite likely Marquette has 7 open scholarships for 21-22.  I don't think we're anywhere near a situation where its appropriate to be concerned about having not enough scholarships for incoming freshman or transfers that season. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2328 on: May 05, 2020, 02:28:42 PM »
If you use it on Perez, you can't use it for someone we are after in 2021. I would rather see it go to someone in that class since Perez won't be eligible until then anyway. If we just want a body, get Jonah Antonio who can provide minutes now and still turn into a freshman next year.

When you can get a Carton or Sarr, you always take that guy. The proven high-major player, absolutely. But if it's a project we want, make it a freshman. If someone like Perez wants to walk-on like Jake did, sure, but that's not where I'd put a scholarship.

I get that others disagree, I just don't find this the most efficient use of a scholarship.

I 100% understand this line of thinking, because I thought of it myself, but as I laid out earlier, you are already going to have a minimum of 3 scholarships available for 2021, and possibly as many as 5(Carton leaves, and carry one over from this year) if not more. That's too many. I don't see them filling that many open scholarships with transfers, grad transfers and HS kids.

Now, my ideal scenario would be to use at least one of the scholarships remaining on someone that can play right away this year(whether a grad transfer or traditional transfer via waiver), because I'd love one more really good piece for this year. The problem is, that player just isn't out there. They missed on Burton and Turner, land one of them plus Carton and we aren't even having this discussion. I also would love to have a 2021 kid reclass(like Mac Etienne) and use the scholarship that way. But I just don't think that's going to happen.

To me(and it's just me) but throwing a scholarship at a 2020 Freshman at this late stage isn't worth it. He will likely never amount to much in 4 years. At least Perez, you're getting a big Guard who has experience who can replace Koby and possibly DJ and who knows about Greg at that point.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2329 on: May 05, 2020, 02:36:10 PM »

Jake

@jakeweingarten
·
6m

Source: Marquette, BYU, Creighton, Rhode Island, Alabama, amongst those in the mix for Syracuse transfer Jalen Carey.

I’m told he’s still open to hearing from other programs if interest is mutual.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2330 on: May 05, 2020, 02:40:29 PM »
The amount of hate Perez is getting here is silly.  I also love the 'Koby had a disappointing junior season, so all level-up transfers will also be disappointing moving forward' takes.  Koby was 3rd in the team in minutes last season, and its legitimately quite possible that he'll be our leading scorer next season if Carton doesn't get a waiver.

I get not being overly excited about Perez.  The advanced stats in his (shortened) sophomore season weren't great. But to say burning scholarships or giving them to a walk-on is a better use is a comically bad take when we have 2 or perhaps 3 empty spots.  I think there is a decent chance Perez would be nothing more than a role player-type at Marquette, but that's fine.  Marquette is never going to have a roster with 13 NBA prospects.  Heck - last year we had 1 good player, and few role players, and the rest of the team was pretty bad. 

Also - chances are pretty decent Carton is gone after next season regardless of what happens the next 10 months.  He may just go straight pro and never step foot on campus if he can't get a waiver, and if he does get a waiver, we shouldn't be expecting more than 1 season from him. So that means the first year Perez will be eligible, our roster very well may be Elliott, Torrence, Dexter and the three incoming freshman (then sophomores).  There will be plenty of minutes and space for an upperclassmen with experience, and we could certianly use some class balancing. 

Going to try to leave it at that with Perez in this thread. Who knows if we'll even get him.  I just think the amount of scoffing over him around here is silly.  I certainly wish we had a couple transfers that were eligible this coming season - we could definitely use them.  Sometime they hit, sometimes they flop - but its worth the chance when you have spots to give.     

Agree completely, JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2331 on: May 05, 2020, 02:45:44 PM »
Perez's in conference numbers progressed from his freshman to sophomore year.  But his top 50 and top 100 numbers regressed big time.  That signals to me he was incredible lucky as a frosh, coincidentally having his best games against his best competition.   That's a big red flag in my view.

Agree, I was just comparing against a low bar. One of them was bad against A+B for 2 years, the other was bad against A+B for only one. Neither is ideal.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2332 on: May 05, 2020, 03:36:18 PM »
Koby was 3rd in the team in minutes last season, and its legitimately quite possible that he'll be our leading scorer next season if Carton doesn't get a waiver.
Ugh!  :-[

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2333 on: May 05, 2020, 04:32:33 PM »
If we land Perez, we are going to have a TON of guards on the roster.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2334 on: May 05, 2020, 04:47:01 PM »
If we land Perez, we are going to have a TON of guards on the roster.

Yes but remember, he has to sit out, and Koby and possibly DJ are gone after next year.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #2335 on: May 05, 2020, 08:34:09 PM »
Look, admittedly, he is not a perfect player, and I understand people having reservations, it's probably warranted. But unless MU can amazingly Pull Olivier Sarr and/or Romello White, there isn't much left out there. Would I have much rather they landed Turner or Burton?? 100% yes..Unfortunately that didn't happen. It still allows them a scholarship available for Mane as well.

Romello White is expected to transfer to Vandy. He is from Atlanta (3.5 hr drive to Atl) and played for Stackhouse Elite. We'll see.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 08:43:04 PM by shoothoops »

GoldenDieners32

• All American

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #2337 on: May 06, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
I see Jalen Carey is #28.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2338 on: May 06, 2020, 11:46:31 AM »
Unreal...

Evan Daniels

@EvanDaniels

Wake Forest transfer Olivier Sarr just verbally committed to Kentucky. Averaged 13.7 PPG and 9.0 RPG this past season. Sarr is a sit one to play one.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2339 on: May 06, 2020, 12:00:09 PM »
Unreal...

Evan Daniels

@EvanDaniels

Wake Forest transfer Olivier Sarr just verbally committed to Kentucky. Averaged 13.7 PPG and 9.0 RPG this past season. Sarr is a sit one to play one.

"Unreal" as in "water is wet"?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2340 on: May 06, 2020, 12:02:48 PM »
"Unreal" as in "water is wet"?

I hope he doesn't get a waiver and never suits up for Kentucky...why should he get a waiver?? A coach being fired has not been a good reason according to the NCAA in the past. Incoming recruits, yes it is(and should be) always granted. Current players?? There's zero precedent for it.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2341 on: May 06, 2020, 12:15:43 PM »
I hope he doesn't get a waiver and never suits up for Kentucky...why should he get a waiver?? A coach being fired has not been a good reason according to the NCAA in the past. Incoming recruits, yes it is(and should be) always granted. Current players?? There's zero precedent for it.

He should get a waiver.  Hope he does
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2342 on: May 06, 2020, 12:17:01 PM »
I don't think I'm understanding the outrage on this one. What's wrong with him going to Kentucky? Great program, coach who develops successful pros, tons of roster openings.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2343 on: May 06, 2020, 12:18:00 PM »

There was a kid last year who followed his coach from NKU to Cincy and got a waiver. Nobody outside of the Cincy athletic department has any idea how that came through in his favor.

For incoming recruits, they are only eligible for a waiver if they had already enrolled at the school prior to the coach being fired (the Thad Matta/Braxon Beverly rule).

“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2344 on: May 06, 2020, 01:30:49 PM »
He should get a waiver.  Hope he does

Other than for the fact that you DESPISE the NCAA(and likely all big business) give me a VALID reason why he should get a waiver OTHER than "because he should". This ought to be good..

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2345 on: May 06, 2020, 01:33:13 PM »
I don't think I'm understanding the outrage on this one. What's wrong with him going to Kentucky? Great program, coach who develops successful pros, tons of roster openings.

Because I'm tired of Kentucky pulling all these great kids and no one ever investigating them, that's why. Not to mention the fact there wasn't a single list anyone came out with for him and all of a sudden, he ends up at Kentucky.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2346 on: May 06, 2020, 01:40:52 PM »
Because I'm tired of Kentucky pulling all these great kids and no one ever investigating them, that's why. Not to mention the fact there wasn't a single list anyone came out with for him and all of a sudden, he ends up at Kentucky.

A little ironic, as you basically want Marquette to operate like Kentucky. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2347 on: May 06, 2020, 01:42:18 PM »

Maybe he didn't feel the need to attention whore.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2348 on: May 06, 2020, 01:43:01 PM »

Odd... the tweet you posted says sit one then play one, with no mention of a waiver. Very confused what this outrage is coming from? A different tweet I'm not privy to?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2349 on: May 06, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »

You're seeing something that isn't there.  Kentucky wins, gets exposure, gets recruits, and puts those recruits in the league.  So obviously, kids want to go there... for those reasons.

If Cal had to pay players in the past, he doesn't have to now.  Maybe show up with some evidence of wrong doing or drop it.

feedback