'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 475161 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2300 on: May 05, 2020, 07:07:26 AM »
Yes, he also needs to recruit "developmental" players who might become good, and I think has in  the likes of Anim, Cain, Elliott, Akanno, etc. Maybe he needs to work on getting more like that.

This is where I'm at. Guys like this that grow in the program have become consistent contributors. I would add fringe 4-stars like Heldt & Carter. If they stick, they can grow into reliable if low-usage contributors like Heldt, if they don't they leave like Carter. The return on investment is potentially higher (3 productive years from Sacar) with only 20% of the time spent redshirting, as opposed to a max of 2 productive years with 33% of the time spent on redshirting.

I'm a math guy. If the player's mathematical stats don't add up, then taking a further mathematical risk in terms of likely return of productivity seems like a bad investment.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2301 on: May 05, 2020, 07:21:18 AM »
One more small detail, related to Perez's mixtape. Maybe it's being burned by the now-legendary Juan Anderson tape, but when I see the flashy stuff against mediocre competition, I get nervous. How often did he try that behind the back or whip pass only to send it into the stands or into an opponent's hands? Looking at all the threes and contested finishes compared to his shooting percentages, how many times were those bricks or blocked shots?

If I'm going to get excited about the low-level transfer, it's the fundamentals and basics I'm curious about, not the "he pulled off an NBA move once" because you don't see the other 19 times it didn't work.

Show me a blue-blood level mixtape without blue-blood level interest and I'm going to be a lot more skeptical.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2302 on: May 05, 2020, 07:42:25 AM »
I feel like he got saved by COVID cause he’s been atrocious at GT

He was better this year and still has a larger buyout.  I think he would have been given one more regardless.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #2303 on: May 05, 2020, 07:52:33 AM »

He was better this year and still has a larger buyout.  I think he would have been given one more regardless.

Yep it’s crazy he still has a job. They had a post season ban this season too. I wonder if it will carry over to next season now?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2304 on: May 05, 2020, 08:29:55 AM »
I've already said it.

Like guru, I want my coach to pursue the best players he has a shot at landing. I know full well that he won't land the lion's share of those whom the bluebloods want, but there are ways of landing some of them. One of those ways is getting in very early. Another is doing a great job of selling. Etc, etc, etc.

Using the various ways, he managed to land some guys a lot of big boys wanted -- Ellenson, Markus, Garcia, Carton, Joey, Lewis, Bailey. He also got Doc's "green weinie" on many high-ranked recruits, and that's OK. I don't mind that he swings and misses at the likes of Grimes and, perhaps, Mane. That's recruiting in the big city.

Yes, he also needs to recruit "developmental" players who might become good, and I think has in  the likes of Anim, Cain, Elliott, Akanno, etc. Maybe he needs to work on getting more like that.

I certainly am not claiming that Wojo is some kind of recruiting superduperstar. I just think he's done a pretty darn good job recruiting, especially with the incoming class. It seems an odd time to criticize his ability as a recruiter.

Solid overall point. Not sure if Bailey was wanted by the big boys that bad compared to Sam or Haanif but solid point.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2305 on: May 05, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
If I'm going to get excited about the low-level transfer

I can only speak for myself, brewski, but I am not "excited" about landing Perez. He's not Carton, he's not Garcia. I don't know enough about Perez, and the skeptic in me always wonders about the ability of a Big South player to make the jump to the Big East. I agree with every word you say about his highlight tape.

Based on the little I do know, I merely think he seems to have the size, talent and experience to merit a high-major scholarship. Wojo, Underwood, Prohm, Penny and Pastner (among others) apparently also believe that.

Mostly, I trust that our head coach -- who has done a damn good job recruiting this past year (and several other years) -- knows more than any Scooper does about this prospect. I also am buoyed by the fact that the last guard Wojo got to transfer from a Big South school turned out all right.

We agree on most things. We are allowed to disagree on this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2306 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:24 AM »
I can only speak for myself, brewski, but I am not "excited" about landing Perez. He's not Carton, he's not Garcia. I don't know enough about Perez, and the skeptic in me always wonders about the ability of a Big South player to make the jump to the Big East. I agree with every word you say about his highlight tape.

Based on the little I do know, I merely think he seems to have the size, talent and experience to merit a high-major scholarship. Wojo, Underwood, Prohm, Penny and Pastner (among others) apparently also believe that.

Mostly, I trust that our head coach -- who has done a damn good job recruiting this past year (and several other years) -- knows more than any Scooper does about this prospect. I also am buoyed by the fact that the last guard Wojo got to transfer from a Big South school turned out all right.

We agree on most things. We are allowed to disagree on this.

With 13 scholarships you can afford to make a mistake once in awhile or take a chance like Akanno, he was ranked about 350 coming out of high school.  But when I
saw him at practice last year, he had a Big East body, he just would have not played much with Sacar ahead of him.  He has potential, hope he used the year off much
like Sacar did.  With Perez, you will have him all year to see how he can play against strong competition in practice, if he stands out, you are set at the 2 guard the following year.  As you might lose both starting guards next year, so it is good to have somebody in the system.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2307 on: May 05, 2020, 10:52:27 AM »
With 13 scholarships you can afford to make a mistake once in awhile or take a chance like Akanno, he was ranked about 350 coming out of high school.  But when I
saw him at practice last year, he had a Big East body, he just would have not played much with Sacar ahead of him.  He has potential, hope he used the year off much
like Sacar did.  With Perez, you will have him all year to see how he can play against strong competition in practice, if he stands out, you are set at the 2 guard the following year.  As you might lose both starting guards next year, so it is good to have somebody in the system.

Totally agree with this. I see little to no downside and potentially good upside to adding Perez.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #2308 on: May 05, 2020, 11:03:41 AM »
Totally agree with this. I see little to no downside and potentially good upside to adding Perez.

Any issues with inefficiency you think would subside a bit playing on a deeper, more talented roster. Naturally the big east is more competitive, but Perez wouldn't have to carry the same weight he did at Gardner-Webb. Even if his shooting numbers come closer to his freshman year that would be great.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2309 on: May 05, 2020, 11:25:47 AM »
All recruits are hit and miss types.  Seems the only sure fire kids are the top 40 type recruits, but even then guys like juJuan Johnson can underwhelm or take time to mature.  Everyone else is a crap shoot.  For every kid that does well there are two r three that do not.  Sure fires transfer to lower level and kids that no one expected anything from become the kids that lead the team.  Therefore the idea of only keeping 9-10 kids makes no sense.  If 25-50% of recruits truly become contributors wouldnt u want to have as many as possible.  No one can even begin to guess if Perez,  or anyone else for that matter, is gonna be the next Rowsey, Koby, Chartouney, Foling, or anywhere in between.  But i do know the more tou have on tour roster the better chance of some of them being good.  The hold the spot for a true contributor is fools gold
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2310 on: May 05, 2020, 12:03:34 PM »
I guess I would like to hear some ideas from people as to what to do with the two remaining scholarships, if they don't want to bring Perez in?? Of course I'd love to use one on Olivier Sarr, but that's not happening. I'd love to give one to Mane, but that doesn't seem like a good possibility either. There just aren't any impact guys left out there(besides Sarr) at the moment. With the one time transfer rule NOT passing(seemingly), I don't think we are going to get a huge amount more of transfers like we maybe would have had that rule been passed. It also seems very unlikely MU is going to land a 2021 kid that will reclassify, so what options do they have??

So okay, some people might want to hold both scholarships open..I would ask, why?? You're already going to have 3 available scholarships for 2021 kids via Theo, Cain & Kobe being done. Add in the chance Carton is only at MU one year, now you have 4 open..let's say you carry one of the two over from this year, now that becomes 5...then what if someone transfers out?? You get the point, you could potentially have 6 open scholarships to give for 2021. Odd you land 6 2021 kids?? Slim and none, and frankly that's just too many open scholarships to have.

I guess I don't understand what most people want them to do. Just never use two available scholarships??

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2311 on: May 05, 2020, 12:14:32 PM »
Traditional transfer big.  Even be willing to take on more of a project because of the year sitting.  We need a post Theo plan.  I know a lot of people think Lewis/Garcia is going to be the answer, but neither have played a minute of cbb yet, Garcia seems more of a "stretch" player than an banger, and Lewis is only 6-7.  Even if it's only a Ousmane quality big, get someone 6-10, 230 that can give you 10 minutes and 5 fouls.  Obviously take more skill over less, but for all the 6-6 to 6-9 wings we have we won't really have any low post presence.  Small ball is fine at times, but won't always work.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2312 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:29 PM »
Traditional transfer big.  Even be willing to take on more of a project because of the year sitting.  We need a post Theo plan.  I know a lot of people think Lewis/Garcia is going to be the answer, but neither have played a minute of cbb yet, Garcia seems more of a "stretch" player than an banger, and Lewis is only 6-7.  Even if it's only a Ousmane quality big, get someone 6-10, 230 that can give you 10 minutes and 5 fouls.  Obviously take more skill over less, but for all the 6-6 to 6-9 wings we have we won't really have any low post presence.  Small ball is fine at times, but won't always work.

That's fine but who DJ?? I'd like a big too..but there simply aren't any out there. Even then you could take Perez AND a big. I'd love to get Sarr, but that's not happening, besides him, there's no one else out there that I'm aware of, and frankly, if they can't score consistently down low, I'd rather not take them. That's just me.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #2313 on: May 05, 2020, 12:18:56 PM »
I guess I would like to hear some ideas from people as to what to do with the two remaining scholarships, if they don't want to bring Perez in?? Of course I'd love to use one on Olivier Sarr, but that's not happening. I'd love to give one to Mane, but that doesn't seem like a good possibility either. There just aren't any impact guys left out there(besides Sarr) at the moment. With the one time transfer rule NOT passing(seemingly), I don't think we are going to get a huge amount more of transfers like we maybe would have had that rule been passed. It also seems very unlikely MU is going to land a 2021 kid that will reclassify, so what options do they have??

So okay, some people might want to hold both scholarships open..I would ask, why?? You're already going to have 3 available scholarships for 2021 kids via Theo, Cain & Kobe being done. Add in the chance Carton is only at MU one year, now you have 4 open..let's say you carry one of the two over from this year, now that becomes 5...then what if someone transfers out?? You get the point, you could potentially have 6 open scholarships to give for 2021. Odd you land 6 2021 kids?? Slim and none, and frankly that's just too many open scholarships to have.

I guess I don't understand what most people want them to do. Just never use two available scholarships??

Don't use them just to use them.

Believe it or not. Kids are still entering the transfer portal. Romello White from Arizona State just entered yesterday. He had 8 double doubles last season. Some more may enter once kids decide not to stay in the draft.

Keep them open. Worst case scenario is a couple of walk ons temporarily get a scholarship. And you have availability for mid season transfer or even if some kid from 21 reclassifies.

And if for some reason 6 scholarships are available. Then you can split them up with grad transfers, regular transfers (who may or not be eligible) and kids from the class of 21.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2314 on: May 05, 2020, 12:20:52 PM »
That's fine but who DJ?? I'd like a big too..but there simply aren't any out there. Even then you could take Perez AND a big. I'd love to get Sarr, but that's not happening, besides him, there's no one else out there that I'm aware of, and frankly, if they can't score consistently down low, I'd rather not take them. That's just me.

Have heard no news so info may be out of date, but sit one, play three, 7 feet tall, 260 lbs, experience (albeit limited) at the high major level.

https://texastech.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/russel-tchewa/9420

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #2315 on: May 05, 2020, 12:23:33 PM »

Justin Lewis is plenty big....6-8, but more importantly, 7-2 wing span.  Plus, he's 225 pounds and will likely gain pounds/strength as he trains better and simply gets older.

Coach Killings said:

“Yes, Lewis has a 7’2” wing span.  He’s big – I think there is nothing that Justin Lewis cannot do.  What we have to do is help him understand what he is capable of doing and develop him into the kind of player that he can be.  Again, he has a mean streak and he’s super competitive.  All of the things he does helps motivate others because of his ability.  He can rebound and get you more possessions.  He can finish above the rim.  He can post you – he can shoot it – he can drive you – he is a mismatch problem.”

My way of saying I'd rather have a three point shooting wing (north of 35%) who can immediately play.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #2316 on: May 05, 2020, 12:26:48 PM »
One thing a lot of coaches have said if a one time waiver is granted to all transfers that won't be using all of their scholarships. They realize there is no way to keep 13 players happy and red shirts are rarer than ever because so many options are available. If they are free to transfer why wouldn't a kid play at a lesser program/league and then transfer up instead of red shirting?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #2317 on: May 05, 2020, 12:32:10 PM »
Justin Lewis is plenty big....6-8, but more importantly, 7-2 wing span.  Plus, he's 225 pounds and will likely gain pounds/strength as he trains better and simply gets older.

Coach Killings said:

“Yes, Lewis has a 7’2” wing span.  He’s big – I think there is nothing that Justin Lewis cannot do.  What we have to do is help him understand what he is capable of doing and develop him into the kind of player that he can be.  Again, he has a mean streak and he’s super competitive.  All of the things he does helps motivate others because of his ability.  He can rebound and get you more possessions.  He can finish above the rim.  He can post you – he can shoot it – he can drive you – he is a mismatch problem.”

My way of saying I'd rather have a three point shooting wing (north of 35%) who can immediately play.

I have high hopes for Lewis as well, but, he's still never played a minute of cbb, so you don't know how well/fast he'll adjust.  Asking an undersized center is not something I'd like to throw at a Freshman.  Zar didn't take that role until he was a Senior.  Jae had his JC experience, and no offense to Lewis because I'm sure he will get stronger, but Zar and Jae were two of the strongest per pound players I've seen at the collegiate level.  Also, Lewis isn't going to be playing 40 mpg.  You can afford to take a project big on (assuming this 10-15 mpg role is about the peak of what anyone expected for Ike).

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2318 on: May 05, 2020, 01:02:31 PM »
I have high hopes for Lewis as well, but, he's still never played a minute of cbb, so you don't know how well/fast he'll adjust.  Asking an undersized center is not something I'd like to throw at a Freshman.  Zar didn't take that role until he was a Senior.  Jae had his JC experience, and no offense to Lewis because I'm sure he will get stronger, but Zar and Jae were two of the strongest per pound players I've seen at the collegiate level.  Also, Lewis isn't going to be playing 40 mpg.  You can afford to take a project big on (assuming this 10-15 mpg role is about the peak of what anyone expected for Ike).

I can see Lewis and Garcia on the floor at the same time, sometimes Garcia can guard the center as well.  It depends how physical the center they are playing against.
The other point if the offense is run right, the other team will have to figure out how to guard those 2 fella's.   Or lets say how Wojo figures out how to use them, much
different when Theo is in there.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2319 on: May 05, 2020, 01:09:27 PM »
One thing a lot of coaches have said if a one time waiver is granted to all transfers that won't be using all of their scholarships. They realize there is no way to keep 13 players happy and red shirts are rarer than ever because so many options are available. If they are free to transfer why wouldn't a kid play at a lesser program/league and then transfer up instead of red shirting?
A player that receives a waiver can still decide to redshirt, if he has not already sat out.
Also, a current player may choose to redshirt or transfer out.

I really do not understand posters here saying they are not excited or do not want a recruit. To me it is working against Wojo's efforts to improve the team.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2320 on: May 05, 2020, 01:40:55 PM »
I'd rather take a flier on Jalen Carey over Perez.  Both are gambles, but I just don't see Perez translating to the Big East.  Koby McEwen had comparable stats in a much better conference.  To expect Perez to match or exceed McEwen is wishful thinking.

Also, the Perez highlight tape does not wow me.  He's an ok but not great athlete.  He kind of looks like a 6-5 version of Scott Merritt.  Unfortunately, Perez isn't 6-10 like Merritt was.  Perez looks like a tweener.  So, I have a hard time envisioning what his role at Marquette.

I would also be fine banking 2 scholarships to 2021.  That gives Wojo a chance to double on either wings, bigs, or both.

1. PG
2. SG
3. SG or SF
4. Long combo F or C
5. C

I think there's a better chance to hit on 3 out of 5, as opposed to 3 out of 4.  I see that as a better route to achieve a high level of success, rather than spending a scholarship on Perez.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #2321 on: May 05, 2020, 01:56:32 PM »
A player that receives a waiver can still decide to redshirt, if he has not already sat out.
Also, a current player may choose to redshirt or transfer out.

I really do not understand posters here saying they are not excited or do not want a recruit. To me it is working against Wojo's efforts to improve the team.

I can see you point of letting 13 players battle it out and let the best play. To me it's more pragmatic. There's no way to keep 12 or 13 players happy. We couldn't even keep 11 players. Ed saw his minutes decrease and left. What do you think would have happened if Oso was healthy and Dexter decided against a red shirt?

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2322 on: May 05, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »
I'd rather take a flier on Jalen Carey over Perez.  Both are gambles, but I just don't see Perez translating to the Big East.  Koby McEwen had comparable stats in a much better conference.  To expect Perez to match or exceed McEwen is wishful thinking.

Also, the Perez highlight tape does not wow me.  He's an ok but not great athlete.  He kind of looks like a 6-5 version of Scott Merritt.  Unfortunately, Perez isn't 6-10 like Merritt was.  Perez looks like a tweener.  So, I have a hard time envisioning what his role at Marquette.

I would also be fine banking 2 scholarships to 2021.  That gives Wojo a chance to double on either wings, bigs, or both.

1. PG
2. SG
3. SG or SF
4. Long combo F or C
5. C

I think there's a better chance to hit on 3 out of 5, as opposed to 3 out of 4.  I see that as a better route to achieve a high level of success, rather than spending a scholarship on Perez.

McEwen always had bad advanced stats against A+B competition, Perez at least performed strongly against A+B his frosh year.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2323 on: May 05, 2020, 02:03:39 PM »

If you use it on Perez, you can't use it for someone we are after in 2021. I would rather see it go to someone in that class since Perez won't be eligible until then anyway. If we just want a body, get Jonah Antonio who can provide minutes now and still turn into a freshman next year.

When you can get a Carton or Sarr, you always take that guy. The proven high-major player, absolutely. But if it's a project we want, make it a freshman. If someone like Perez wants to walk-on like Jake did, sure, but that's not where I'd put a scholarship.

I get that others disagree, I just don't find this the most efficient use of a scholarship.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2324 on: May 05, 2020, 02:07:52 PM »
The amount of hate Perez is getting here is silly.  I also love the 'Koby had a disappointing junior season, so all level-up transfers will also be disappointing moving forward' takes.  Koby was 3rd in the team in minutes last season, and its legitimately quite possible that he'll be our leading scorer next season if Carton doesn't get a waiver.

I get not being overly excited about Perez.  The advanced stats in his (shortened) sophomore season weren't great. But to say burning scholarships or giving them to a walk-on is a better use is a comically bad take when we have 2 or perhaps 3 empty spots.  I think there is a decent chance Perez would be nothing more than a role player-type at Marquette, but that's fine.  Marquette is never going to have a roster with 13 NBA prospects.  Heck - last year we had 1 good player, and few role players, and the rest of the team was pretty bad. 

Also - chances are pretty decent Carton is gone after next season regardless of what happens the next 10 months.  He may just go straight pro and never step foot on campus if he can't get a waiver, and if he does get a waiver, we shouldn't be expecting more than 1 season from him. So that means the first year Perez will be eligible, our roster very well may be Elliott, Torrence, Dexter and the three incoming freshman (then sophomores).  There will be plenty of minutes and space for an upperclassmen with experience, and we could certianly use some class balancing. 

Going to try to leave it at that with Perez in this thread. Who knows if we'll even get him.  I just think the amount of scoffing over him around here is silly.  I certainly wish we had a couple transfers that were eligible this coming season - we could definitely use them.  Sometime they hit, sometimes they flop - but its worth the chance when you have spots to give.     
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 02:12:11 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.