[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474886 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2275 on: May 04, 2020, 11:35:18 AM »
So I suppose it’s possible Wojo is still chasing him.

My guess is that door has closed. I'd assume that Carey is likely to seek a waiver like Carton and doubt he wants to sit behind Carton
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2276 on: May 04, 2020, 11:37:42 AM »
My guess is that door has closed. I'd assume that Carey is likely to seek a waiver like Carton and doubt he wants to sit behind Carton

Maybe.  But unless he's looking to move down a level, most high major teams have other capable guards on the roster. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2277 on: May 04, 2020, 12:29:53 PM »
Maybe you're right and you know better than Wojo about who he should bring in and who he should be playing.  I personally don't feel I know.  But a 6'5" guard who looks comfortable in the post intrigues me as a fan.  We haven't had many of those in a long time.  I hope Wojo is right and you are wrong.

If we land Perez, I hope so too. The thing is, this staff has shown a tremendous ability to ignore advanced statistics and things that are painfully obvious to anyone digging into the numbers. Wojo's adherence to Koby & Bailey when they were being outplayed regularly by Cain & Elliott off the bench was incredibly frustrating. The staff's unwillingness, or I honestly believe inability, to figure out and implement the best lineups, especially down the stretch, simply sucked.

I want Wojo to be good at his job. I want Wojo to get the kind of players he will win with. But the evidence strongly indicates he needs the most talented guys to shine in order to win at a high level. Someone like Rowsey who was clearly torching nets at a lower level, okay. But all the transfers up that needed work (Froling, Chartouny, McEwen) have been disappointing. I just can't get excited for another clear project up-transfer when this staff has generally come up so short in correctly identifying such players in the past and interpreting the meaning of advanced stats.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2278 on: May 04, 2020, 12:37:26 PM »
Rowsey shot better at MU than he did at UNC-A. Perez freshman year is similar to what Rowsey did in the same conference. The sophomore year drop off is concerning but maybe the personal issues played a huge part.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2279 on: May 04, 2020, 12:49:36 PM »
If we land Perez, I hope so too. The thing is, this staff has shown a tremendous ability to ignore advanced statistics and things that are painfully obvious to anyone digging into the numbers. Wojo's adherence to Koby & Bailey when they were being outplayed regularly by Cain & Elliott off the bench was incredibly frustrating. The staff's unwillingness, or I honestly believe inability, to figure out and implement the best lineups, especially down the stretch, simply sucked.

I want Wojo to be good at his job. I want Wojo to get the kind of players he will win with. But the evidence strongly indicates he needs the most talented guys to shine in order to win at a high level. Someone like Rowsey who was clearly torching nets at a lower level, okay. But all the transfers up that needed work (Froling, Chartouny, McEwen) have been disappointing. I just can't get excited for another clear project up-transfer when this staff has generally come up so short in correctly identifying such players in the past and interpreting the meaning of advanced stats.

What's the alternative though, Brew?  Burn scholarships or hand them to walk-ons?  Both are far worse deployment of extremely valuable scholarships than taking a chance on a kid that may be a bit of a project. 

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2280 on: May 04, 2020, 01:31:02 PM »
What's the alternative though, Brew?  Burn scholarships or hand them to walk-ons?  Both are far worse deployment of extremely valuable scholarships than taking a chance on a kid that may be a bit of a project.

Target freshmen. Get a Dexter into the program & hope he develops into another Sacar. Or hold spots open so when a lights out mid-season transfer hits the market, you have room.

You'll never have the playing time to keep more than 8-9 players happy. So why fill more than 11-12 scholarships unless it's someone who you have to take? That's still room for stars, role-players, and developmental pieces.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2281 on: May 04, 2020, 01:44:35 PM »
Target freshmen. Get a Dexter into the program & hope he develops into another Sacar. Or hold spots open so when a lights out mid-season transfer hits the market, you have room.

You'll never have the playing time to keep more than 8-9 players happy. So why fill more than 11-12 scholarships unless it's someone who you have to take? That's still room for stars, role-players, and developmental pieces.

Because guys get hurt, guys transfer, guys decide they're ready to play professionally, etc.  Maybe had we taken on a sit-out transfer last year instead of burning 1 and handing another to a walk-on that played 5 garbage time minutes all season, we wouldn't be in a situation that we absolutely need Carton to get a waiver to put a competitive BE team on the floor next season. 

I'll never think that just burning scholarships is the best way to handle a roster.  I agree you can't keep 13 eligible guys happy, but if 2-3 of them are redshirting every year, you're only dealing with 10-11 active players, and chances are at least 1 guy is always going to be hurt.  Not that hard to manage, and it today's game, kids are always going to transfer no matter what you do. 

Mid year transfers are fine I guess.  To me, a guy that quits on his team midseason is always going to be a red flag.  What is Wojo's mid year transfer track record?  2 in 6 seasons in Fischer and Froling?  Sometimes you'll just be left with an opening (like if BB decides to stay in the draft), but I wouldn't just a bank a spot each year for a guy who just quit on his team.  And if keeping guys happy is one of your main points, trying to get project freshman doesn't really help the playing time issue unless the kid agrees on the front end to redshirt.  But all things being equal, chances are that Perez will be a better player in his 2 years at Marquette (if they land him) than some underrecruited 2-3 star kid that is willing to red shirt his freshman year. 

Guess its just an agree to disagree thing. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 01:47:54 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2282 on: May 04, 2020, 02:22:57 PM »
Thing is, they can take Perez and will still have an open scholarship for that mid season transfer, or Mane if he wants to come. There simply aren't any 2020 kids left out there that they are involved with to bring in at this late date. The ONLY thing would be is if there's a possibility that a guy like Mac Ettiene might still decide to reclass and come to MU, but that is highly doubtful it seems as well. But again, even then, they'd still have an available scholarship to do that with.

My biggest issue with Perez is that he can't help this year, I'd still really like one more good piece for this year, but I don't see anyway that happens either.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #2283 on: May 04, 2020, 02:54:19 PM »
I guess I'll repeat Sperber's post about transfers:

1. Up transfers don't play as much
2. When on the court, they don't play as big of a role
3. Up transfers take more threes and draw less fouls
4. Rebounding and shot blocking translate better to higher levels.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2284 on: May 04, 2020, 02:59:17 PM »
I guess I'll repeat Sperber's post about transfers:

1. Up transfers don't play as much
2. When on the court, they don't play as big of a role
3. Up transfers take more threes and draw less fouls
4. Rebounding and shot blocking translate better to higher levels.

That's good knowledge in general and should be used to temper expectations.  The problem is it obviously doesn't apply to everyone.  Good coaches have to figure this stuff out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #2285 on: May 04, 2020, 03:30:06 PM »

That's good knowledge in general and should be used to temper expectations.  The problem is it obviously doesn't apply to everyone.  Good coaches have to figure this stuff out.

I would imagine it’s not particularly easy to figure it out, even though it’s what they are paid to do.

For example- chartouny was an elite defender, steals leader. I remember thinking to myself that he seemed a bit slow and his offensive production wasn’t very good. Others have noted that MU has never been a steals oriented team under wojo, so there were some red flags there.

Koby- offensive stats were solid, as were rebounding stats. There were exceptionally high praise reviews coming out of team practices his year off, especially with regards to BE ready body.  The bright lights came on and the defense was very good, the rebounding and effort were very good, but the offense was woof. Still managed to get to the line and shot well there, and to his defense it doesn’t really help when you’re not only playing much tougher competition but also playing alongside a high usage All American, makes things look much worse. At the end of the day he seemed as if he got into his own head on that end of the floor.

Rowsey- glaring reviews from his year off at practice and the bright lights came on and he shot lights out. Now he’s even doing it in the D league despite being diminutive, impressive stuff. That said, defense was abysmal and it cost the team (even though it’s not really his fault he’s a midget, as MJ would say).

I guess what I’m saying with those three relatively current examples is that it indeed can be a crapshoot. Also the case for incoming HS kids- not all high level prospects succeed. Nova recently had a 5 star G come in (drawing a blank on the name) and he barely played and transferred out. Grimes didn’t have the effect MU fans expected, etc.

I’d say MU has gotten pretty lucky with its “elite” prospects in the last decade. Most recently Vander, Ellenson, and Markus have met and/or exceeded lofty expectations. Not to be glass half empty about it but there will come a day where one of these guys just isn’t as good as the hype that builds up, and that’s where having multiple higher rated recruits on the same squad will help soften the blow.

Wojo has done well with recruiting and if there is one thing I have complete confidence in him is that he can and will recruit some high end talented basketball players. It is the other aspects that need improvement, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Imo strong recruiting ability is the single most important skill any NCAAB coach can have and it’s not as prevalent as many would think.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2286 on: May 04, 2020, 03:35:14 PM »

Looks like that door is still open.

https://twitter.com/matthewgut21/status/1257394580699447298?s=21

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2287 on: May 04, 2020, 04:09:19 PM »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2288 on: May 04, 2020, 05:37:12 PM »
...I agree, and at this point he’s probably better than a 3-star guard HS recruit. He’s got D-1 experience under his belt, has had some descents games against high level competition, and, depending on role, should be able to step in when eligible and not be overwhelmed.

Agree I like Jose’s 6.5 rebounds per game and the toughness that rebounding adds. Along with his 4.2 assists. Granted it is the Big South, But Both figures would of led Marquette last year.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #2289 on: May 04, 2020, 06:05:48 PM »
Is it just me but I think he looks slow.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2290 on: May 04, 2020, 06:09:23 PM »
Is it just me but I think he looks slow.

Speed up the video then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2291 on: May 04, 2020, 07:21:11 PM »
Speed up the video then.

Can confirm, much faster on 1.5 speed

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2292 on: May 04, 2020, 07:43:46 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
55s
Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez spoke with Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski, Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner and Memphis’ Cody Toppert today, he told @Stockrisers

Iowa State and Illinois also in contact. Perez says everyone is in the mix. No frontrunner as of now.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2293 on: May 04, 2020, 07:51:17 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
55s
Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez spoke with Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski, Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner and Memphis’ Cody Toppert today, he told @Stockrisers

Iowa State and Illinois also in contact. Perez says everyone is in the mix. No frontrunner as of now.

Josh pastner is still coaching? Wow
Maigh Eo for Sam

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2294 on: May 04, 2020, 08:50:43 PM »
Josh pastner is still coaching? Wow

I feel like he got saved by COVID cause he’s been atrocious at GT

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2295 on: May 04, 2020, 09:52:58 PM »
So we have a bunch of Scoopers who say Wojo recruits too many 5-star and high-4-star guys that he doesn't land and has not recruited enough solid 3-stars as a back-up plan.

And then we have a bunch of Scoopers who say Wojo shouldn't be recruiting anybody who can't be a standout in the Big East.

Fun on Scoop!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2296 on: May 04, 2020, 10:49:38 PM »
So we have a bunch of Scoopers who say Wojo recruits too many 5-star and high-4-star guys that he doesn't land and has not recruited enough solid 3-stars as a back-up plan.

And then we have a bunch of Scoopers who say Wojo shouldn't be recruiting anybody who can't be a standout in the Big East.

Fun on Scoop!

What say you, Mike?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2297 on: May 04, 2020, 11:29:26 PM »
Looks like that door is still open.

https://twitter.com/matthewgut21/status/1257394580699447298?s=21

I forgot how highly ranked he was out of HS. Any idea why he only played 2 games last year?

Could be a pretty nice gamble

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2298 on: May 05, 2020, 06:41:26 AM »
I forgot how highly ranked he was out of HS. Any idea why he only played 2 games last year?

Could be a pretty nice gamble

I think a hand or wrist injury.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2299 on: May 05, 2020, 06:47:07 AM »
What say you, Mike?

I've already said it.

Like guru, I want my coach to pursue the best players he has a shot at landing. I know full well that he won't land the lion's share of those whom the bluebloods want, but there are ways of landing some of them. One of those ways is getting in very early. Another is doing a great job of selling. Etc, etc, etc.

Using the various ways, he managed to land some guys a lot of big boys wanted -- Ellenson, Markus, Garcia, Carton, Joey, Lewis, Bailey. He also got Doc's "green weinie" on many high-ranked recruits, and that's OK. I don't mind that he swings and misses at the likes of Grimes and, perhaps, Mane. That's recruiting in the big city.

Yes, he also needs to recruit "developmental" players who might become good, and I think has in  the likes of Anim, Cain, Elliott, Akanno, etc. Maybe he needs to work on getting more like that.

I certainly am not claiming that Wojo is some kind of recruiting superduperstar. I just think he's done a pretty darn good job recruiting, especially with the incoming class. It seems an odd time to criticize his ability as a recruiter.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback