[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474861 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2250 on: May 04, 2020, 05:42:27 AM »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mmungMhc5eQ

Mixtapes are fine, but also the reason we thought Juan Anderson was the next Evan Turner. What the numbers show is that he's not able to consistently perform at that level.

I get that the hope is Perez can recapture his freshman year, but I look at Nate Johnson, who was his teammate on GWU and just transferred to Xavier. The falloff that Perez experienced didn't happen to Johnson. Despite the team falling off, Johnson continued to play efficiently and increased his productivity while the opposite happened to Perez. I'm hesitant to put my eggs in the basket of the guy that fell off.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2251 on: May 04, 2020, 07:38:19 AM »
Looks like a Thursday announcement..

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #2252 on: May 04, 2020, 08:04:49 AM »
I’ll take a 6’5” guard who’s willing to hit the post and will have a year off to work in his game.
...I agree, and at this point he’s probably better than a 3-star guard HS recruit. He’s got D-1 experience under his belt, has had some descents games against high level competition, and, depending on role, should be able to step in when eligible and not be overwhelmed.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2253 on: May 04, 2020, 08:06:11 AM »
Mixtapes are fine, but also the reason we thought Juan Anderson was the next Evan Turner. What the numbers show is that he's not able to consistently perform at that level.

I get that the hope is Perez can recapture his freshman year, but I look at Nate Johnson, who was his teammate on GWU and just transferred to Xavier. The falloff that Perez experienced didn't happen to Johnson. Despite the team falling off, Johnson continued to play efficiently and increased his productivity while the opposite happened to Perez. I'm hesitant to put my eggs in the basket of the guy that fell off.

Dont disagree... look at koby.  Thing i like about Perez is his skill set.  When u go play against bigger and faster and better competition do u have the bball IQ and skillset to allow that step up in competition?  From what i have seen he has that skill set to be able to do that. Kobys lack of skills and IQ hurt him
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2254 on: May 04, 2020, 08:21:49 AM »
Dont disagree... look at koby.  Thing i like about Perez is his skill set.  When u go play against bigger and faster and better competition do u have the bball IQ and skillset to allow that step up in competition?  From what i have seen he has that skill set to be able to do that. Kobys lack of skills and IQ hurt him

Koby had solid stats at Utah St against tournament teams & power conference teams. Actually better than Perez's.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2255 on: May 04, 2020, 08:27:03 AM »
I'm hesitant to put my eggs in the basket of the guy that fell off.

brewski, who is putting "eggs in the basket"? He's a prospect with D-1 experience. He might turn out to be a starter, or a rotation player, or a depth piece buried on the bench. Every team has and needs all of those. It's not as if we're turning down a burger boy to take Perez instead.

Koby had solid stats at Utah St against tournament teams & power conference teams. Actually better than Perez's.

True, Galway.

But Memphis, Iowa State, Georgia Tech and Illinois also are after Perez. Are all of those coaches wrong, too?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2256 on: May 04, 2020, 08:29:25 AM »
brewski, who is putting "eggs in the basket"? He's a prospect with D-1 experience. He might turn out to be a starter, or a rotation player, or a depth piece buried on the bench. Every team has and needs all of those. It's not as if we're turning down a burger boy to take Perez instead.

True, Galway.

But Memphis, Iowa State, Georgia Tech and Illinois also are after Perez. Are all of those coaches wrong, too?

I'm actually in favor of bringing him on. Just trying to temper expectations.
Maigh Eo for Sam

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2257 on: May 04, 2020, 08:41:10 AM »
This is very unusual, you don't see this everyday...

UCLAFAN
@UCLABBALLFBFAN
·
49m
Romello White’s name is in the transfer portal with a “do not contact” designation, signifying he likely has a destination determined
Must mean Depaul has him locked up

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #2258 on: May 04, 2020, 08:44:27 AM »
In the BEAST he won't get any baskets off those post moves, and half of his drives will get swatted.  And his release is slow on the 3.  He's somewhere between Sandy Cohen and Haanif Cheatham IMHO.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2259 on: May 04, 2020, 09:08:32 AM »
In the BEAST he won't get any baskets off those post moves, and half of his drives will get swatted.  And his release is slow on the 3.  He's somewhere between Sandy Cohen and Haanif Cheatham IMHO.

The kid who won't score in the post, will have his drives to the hoop swatted away, and has too slow of a release to get his 3 point shot off in the Big East went for 19 points on 7/10 shooting and 4/6 from the field against a historically good, national championship defense.  A performance that had Tony Bennett walk over to Perez to shake his hand as he checked out of the game for the last time during their first round matchup in the NCAA Tournament last year.

But maybe every defense in the Big East is significantly better than UVA's 2018-2019 defense and he won't be able to get a shot off like he was against them?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2260 on: May 04, 2020, 09:10:35 AM »

True, Galway.

I'm in the Jay Wright camp that not every scholarship needs to be filled. 10-12 available players is fine.

As far as who might take the scholarship, who knows? Maybe someone comes available at semester who we can't take because we're full. Maybe a late decommit. Maybe it goes to a walk-on and improves morale. You don't have to spend resources just because you have them.

When coaches take on players that aren't up to this level, sometimes those guys still end up playing significant minutes. Jake Thomas, Joseph Chartouny, & Koby McEwen (based on last year's sample) were all up-transfers that in retrospect were either misevaluated or forced into roles too big for them. I’d rather they hold the scholarship for either a longer term developmental player or more steady looking transfer.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #2261 on: May 04, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
The kid who won't score in the post, will have his drives to the hoop swatted away, and has too slow of a release to get his 3 point shot off in the Big East went for 19 points on 7/10 shooting and 4/6 from the field against a historically good, national championship defense.  A performance that had Tony Bennett walk over to Perez to shake his hand as he checked out of the game for the last time during their first round matchup in the NCAA Tournament last year.

But maybe every defense in the Big East is significantly better than UVA's 2018-2019 defense and he won't be able to get a shot off like he was against them?

Jean Felix once scored 31 points in a tournament game vs a team with 2 future NBA players and a future All-American.

Beware of small sample sizes.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2262 on: May 04, 2020, 09:23:51 AM »
I never have an issue signing a proven player, he has already played 2 years in college.  He has to sit out next year for a year of potential improvement.  Some do,
some do not.  Sort of like a project.  They still only have 11 for next year and the would still have 4 open scholarships the following year.  It is worth the gamble.  They
need a 2 guard as they lose Koby.  Plus he will be a junior when he can play, with Torrence being the other junior.  Even the classes a little bit. Still have 1 open for
Mane, or somebody else.  I agree, do not have to use all 13 at one time.  I do like having at least 11 players every year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2263 on: May 04, 2020, 09:28:47 AM »
I'm in the Jay Wright camp that not every scholarship needs to be filled. 10-12 available players is fine.

As far as who might take the scholarship, who knows? Maybe someone comes available at semester who we can't take because we're full. Maybe a late decommit. Maybe it goes to a walk-on and improves morale. You don't have to spend resources just because you have them.

When coaches take on players that aren't up to this level, sometimes those guys still end up playing significant minutes. Jake Thomas, Joseph Chartouny, & Koby McEwen (based on last year's sample) were all up-transfers that in retrospect were either misevaluated or forced into roles too big for them. I’d rather they hold the scholarship for either a longer term developmental player or more steady looking transfer.

Chartouny was playing 10 minutes per game from the start of the Big East season to the end of the season.  That's exactly what you should do if you have scholarships available, which Marquette does.  Bring a kid in and if he's ready he plays and if not he watches from the bench.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2264 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:35 AM »
Without just Carton the drop is 62 to 81

Which makes sense.  I thought with Carton we were in the low 50s tho?

But another 20 team drop from 81 to 101 without Bailey seems like stretch.  I like BB, and hope like heck he returns.  But I don't see him having that big of an impact on the the team.  That being said, without Carton, this team isn't going anywhere sans landing Mane + another impact transfer that is eligible right away, which is more than pipe dream at this point. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2265 on: May 04, 2020, 09:53:46 AM »
Chartouny was playing 10 minutes per game from the start of the Big East season to the end of the season.  That's exactly what you should do if you have scholarships available, which Marquette does.  Bring a kid in and if he's ready he plays and if not he watches from the bench.

Maybe if they had brought someone in who was a Big East caliber player, they wouldn't have collapsed down the stretch when the guys we had couldn't get it done. Instead, as we lost game after game, Chartouny still couldn't crack the roster.

The past two collapses have prominently featured transfers expected to play big roles not delivering, either because they couldn't get on the court or couldn't produce when they did. If you're going to fill a scholarship just to fill a scholarship, give it to a freshman who might develop into something.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2266 on: May 04, 2020, 09:58:34 AM »

I agree with you on 99% of your basketball takes, but not here.  Burning scholarships is dumb.  Worst case scenerio, Perez is a bench warmer in 21-22.  Then he probably grad transfers back down a level.  So what? Nothing lost. Best case scenario we have a solid BE caliber starter who contributes right away in 21-22 and has maturity and experience.  There is no negative to bringing on a guy like Perez when you have 2, or perhaps even 3 openings. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:01:25 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2267 on: May 04, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »

If everyone gets judged on their best performance, why isn't Brenden Bailey an All-American after what he did to Maryland? It's because you have to take the totality of what someone does. Perez was great in that game against Virginia, but on the whole, that isn't what he's been like against top competition.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2268 on: May 04, 2020, 10:04:43 AM »
If everyone gets judged on their best performance, why isn't Brenden Bailey an All-American after what he did to Maryland? It's because you have to take the totality of what someone does. Perez was great in that game against Virginia, but on the whole, that isn't what he's been like against top competition.

You don't think its possible that high usage guy (likely high usage because he's the most talented) on a low major team can be a role player on a high major tournament team with lower usage while surrounded by far more talented players?

Of course its possible.

I get not being excited about Perez based on a advanced stats.  That's fine.  But rolling the dice on Perez is worlds more valuable than blowing a scholarship or handing one to a walk-on that will play a total of 5 garbage time minutes all season. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2269 on: May 04, 2020, 10:05:25 AM »

We actually agree on much of this, brewski. I certainly never advocate for filling every scholarship.

Perez might be the next Chartouny, or he might be better, or he might be worse. Some folks here were really excited about Chartouny and looked at him to be the starting PG. Few seem to have such high expectations of Perez.

I am confident that if a player we really need and want becomes available, Wojo will find room for that player. Historically, just about all coaches do that ... including Chris Beard, the recipient of considerable praise from Scoopdom (and deservedly so).

And just because Jake Thomas ended up playing big minutes as a senior ... that proves nothing about Jake Thomas and a lot about Buzz's failed recruiting at that time. His junior year, Jake was the perfect deep-bench player. If that's all Perez turns out to be, so be it.

Basically, I think it's worth it to take a shot on a 6-5 athlete who has had D1 success and you don't think it's worth doing so on this athlete. We can agree to disagree and move on.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:07:01 AM by MU82 »
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #2270 on: May 04, 2020, 10:11:16 AM »
I agree with you on 99% of your basketball takes, but not here.  Burning scholarships is dumb.  Worst case scenerio, Perez is a bench warmer in 21-22.  Then he probably grad transfers back down a level.  So what? Nothing lost. Best case scenario we have a solid BE caliber starter who contributes right away in 21-22 and has maturity and experience.  There is no negative to bringing on a guy like Perez when you have 2, or perhaps even 3 openings. 

I agree that bringing in Perez is fine.  But I think 13 players is too many on a D1 basketball team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2271 on: May 04, 2020, 10:30:29 AM »

I agree that bringing in Perez is fine.  But I think 13 players is too many on a D1 basketball team.

If all are eligible, I'd tend to agree that keeping 13 guys happy is impossible.  If you have 2 guys sitting out each year, its certainly a lot more doable. Land Perez that's one.  Land someone like Mane, and then you can redshirt Oso.  Maybe still get a late traditional transfer instead of Mane. 

Looks like Jalen Carey hasn't transferred yet and MU reached out early in the process.  No updates I can find.  He'd be a solid get and a sit 1, play 3 guard.  Guru - you seen any updates on him? 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:33:48 AM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2272 on: May 04, 2020, 10:45:18 AM »

I wouldn't expect a guy who plays mid to low majors night in and night out to consistently perform at a high level against high majors.  I'd expect there would be some shock value when suddenly you're playing guys bigger and more athletic.  The point is he had no problem not getting swatted on every attempt at the basket or getting his slow release 3 pointer off against what may have been literally the best defense college basketball has ever seen.  But apparently the kid will never get a shot up in the Big East.

The good thing is Perez would get a year of playing only high major players in practice and then would be playing in the Big East where he's playing high level night in and night out.  Maybe he will adjust to the consistent high level of play or maybe he won't and he'll ride the bench.

Maybe you're right and you know better than Wojo about who he should bring in and who he should be playing.  I personally don't feel I know.  But a 6'5" guard who looks comfortable in the post intrigues me as a fan.  We haven't had many of those in a long time.  I hope Wojo is right and you are wrong.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 10:47:37 AM by wadesworld »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2273 on: May 04, 2020, 11:08:10 AM »
If all are eligible, I'd tend to agree that keeping 13 guys happy is impossible.  If you have 2 guys sitting out each year, its certainly a lot more doable. Land Perez that's one.  Land someone like Mane, and then you can redshirt Oso.  Maybe still get a late traditional transfer instead of Mane. 

Looks like Jalen Carey hasn't transferred yet and MU reached out early in the process.  No updates I can find.  He'd be a solid get and a sit 1, play 3 guard. Guru - you seen any updates on him?

Absolutely nothing...we all thought Carton's recruitment was quiet...Jalen Carey says hold my beer. He went in the portal, a day or two later there was a list of teams that had reached out, and literally nothing since. Strange.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2274 on: May 04, 2020, 11:17:34 AM »
Absolutely nothing...we all thought Carton's recruitment was quiet...Jalen Carey says hold my beer. He went in the portal, a day or two later there was a list of teams that had reached out, and literally nothing since. Strange.

So I suppose it’s possible Wojo is still chasing him.