[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474819 times)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2050 on: April 27, 2020, 01:15:31 PM »
I'm not a huge Perez fan.  Best case scenario I see is Trent Lockett, worst case he might be worse than McEwen was last year.

I'd prefer to go in a different direction.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2051 on: April 27, 2020, 01:28:00 PM »
I'm not a huge Perez fan.  Best case scenario I see is Trent Lockett, worst case he might be worse than McEwen was last year.

Would you rather burn a scholarship (or effectively do the same thing by giving it to a walk on)?  I wouldn't.

Had we not burned one last year (really two counting Eke/Gardiner) and took on a transfer maybe we wouldn't be so thin across the board next season that we virtually had to land a top 3 transfer in Carton and now pray for a waiver in order to have a team that could even have a chance to play .500 basketball. 

For as much crap as McEwen gets (and a lot of it deserved), he's still an above average college basketball player.  Teams need guys who can play roles.  Maybe Perez comes in and sits a year, plays in 21-22 and is overmatched and then grad transfers back down a level for his last season.  But at least you tried.  Sometimes these transfers work out really well, sometimes they don't.  But I will never advocate against trying, especially when you're looking at a roster that is only 80% filled. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 01:58:37 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2052 on: April 27, 2020, 02:50:53 PM »
Would be perfectly fine with Wojo bringing in Perez, not that he's asking me (or any of us) for permission.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2053 on: April 27, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
Watt kolar weenie r wee on now, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2054 on: April 27, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
Watt kolar weenie r wee on now, hey?

Well, yoar in charge uv kolarin' weenies 'round dese parts, hoo?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2055 on: April 27, 2020, 06:36:50 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
5h
Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez spoke with Marquette’s Steve Wojciechowski, BYU’s Mark Pope, Minnesota’s Rich Pitino and Georgia Tech’s Josh Pastner today.

DePaul’s Dave Leitao calls later. Memphis in contact everyday, Illinois talking with his AAU coach.

All ten in mix.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2056 on: April 27, 2020, 08:01:26 PM »

When i watch his videos, yes i know every shot goes in in videos, he shows a tremendous skill set and a really really nice feel for the game and very solid basketball IQ.  Great skill and really nice intangibles.  Almost a Rowsey or Diener type feel for the game and confidence with the ball to back it up.  Jmho
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2057 on: April 27, 2020, 11:06:13 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet or if this is the right spot but Omer Yurtseven declared for the NBA Draft

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #2058 on: April 27, 2020, 11:34:44 PM »
Not sure if this has been posted yet or if this is the right spot but Omer Yurtseven declared for the NBA Draft

Yurtseven forgoing his eligibility too

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2059 on: April 28, 2020, 07:45:11 AM »
I don't really get why you wouldn't want him.  I mean, yah - I'd love to fill the 2 (or 3) open spots with no brainer high major starters as well.  But that's not happening at this point, so I'd be happy to take on Perez and see what we have as opposed to burning scholarships which is very dumb.  Worst case scenario is we have a role playing guard off the bench with 2 years of D1 experience.  Not so bad.

IDK im just never gonna be one for low majors unless the numbers are eye popping. I wasn't even psyched about Rowsey(He proved me wrong on one end of the floor).

I wouldn't lose my mind if we ended up with Perez seeing as like you said we do have space. I just really dont prefer it.

He does have high major size tho, so if he ends up here and I am completely wrong. Heck yeah. Would definitely prefer hes eligible immediately though.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2060 on: April 28, 2020, 09:09:25 AM »

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

Valparaiso’s Javon Freeman-Liberty told me has has pulled his name from the NBA Draft, and instead has decided to transfer. Sophomore guard averaged 19 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists.

I hope the second he entered the Portal, MU called him. He's one of the best names that's been in the portal since the beginning...from Chicago. High usage, not a 3 point shooter, but a heck of a defensive rebounder and a good asst/TO ratio. Against 4 tier A opponents(via Kenpom) his offensive rating was-104.6,  Better def rebound %, higher asst %, lower TO %, higher steals % and shot a better % from the field. BRING HIM IN. Sit one play two

« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:33:30 AM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2061 on: April 28, 2020, 11:34:57 AM »
IDK im just never gonna be one for low majors unless the numbers are eye popping. I wasn't even psyched about Rowsey(He proved me wrong on one end of the floor).

I wouldn't lose my mind if we ended up with Perez seeing as like you said we do have space. I just really dont prefer it.

He does have high major size tho, so if he ends up here and I am completely wrong. Heck yeah. Would definitely prefer hes eligible immediately though.

Like Javon Freeman-Liberty that I just posted about below??  ;)

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2062 on: April 28, 2020, 11:36:18 AM »
Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

Valparaiso’s Javon Freeman-Liberty told me has has pulled his name from the NBA Draft, and instead has decided to transfer. Sophomore guard averaged 19 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.1 assists.

I hope the second he entered the Portal, MU called him. He's one of the best names that's been in the portal since the beginning...from Chicago. High usage, not a 3 point shooter, but a heck of a defensive rebounder and a good asst/TO ratio. Against 4 tier A opponents(via Kenpom) his offensive rating was-104.6,  Better def rebound %, higher asst %, lower TO %, higher steals % and shot a better % from the field. BRING HIM IN. Sit one play two

We will definitely be on him, as will just about every single high major program in need of a guard

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2063 on: April 28, 2020, 11:45:54 AM »
We will definitely be on him, as will just about every single high major program in need of a guard

If he somehow wound up at DePaul, I'd be furious.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2064 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:05 AM »
Like Javon Freeman-Liberty that I just posted about below??  ;)

Outside of his 3 point jumper they are pretty good.

Can he keep that efficiency in the BE paint??
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2065 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:51 AM »

He needs to be close to home so that narrows the field significantly(although he was already close to home at Valpo)...would say puts MU firmly in the mix, assuming they will inquire. Would be shocking to me if he stayed at a mid major...like Loyola, Bradley..DePaul

Vonno

@AintuJavon
·
24m

To this day I’ve never had to make a decision this impactful In my life... I love Valpo, they’ve been a huge part of making me the man I am becoming today... I have somethings going on that requires me to home close to my grandmother... Please respect me & my family privacy
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 11:56:16 AM by muguru »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2066 on: April 28, 2020, 12:04:42 PM »
He needs to be close to home so that narrows the field significantly(although he was already close to home at Valpo)...would say puts MU firmly in the mix, assuming they will inquire. Would be shocking to me if he stayed at a mid major...like Loyola, Bradley..DePaul

Vonno

@AintuJavon
·
24m

To this day I’ve never had to make a decision this impactful In my life... I love Valpo, they’ve been a huge part of making me the man I am becoming today... I have somethings going on that requires me to home close to my grandmother... Please respect me & my family privacy

Assuming he truly needs to be closer to his grandmother, and his grandmother lives near where he went to high school, than Valpo is already closer than Marquette is. I would expect him to end up at DePaul or Northwestern.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2067 on: April 28, 2020, 12:25:05 PM »

If DePaul starts opening up the checkbook, I wouldn’t blame him.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2068 on: April 28, 2020, 12:49:25 PM »

I wouldn't. Better in the conference than not. Plus if we're going to $hit the bed against depaul anyways May as well be a good Depaul team.
Maigh Eo for Sam

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2069 on: April 28, 2020, 03:44:18 PM »
 :)

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
4m
Valparaiso transfer Javon Freeman-Liberty tells ESPN he has heard from Oregon, Arkansas, Marquette, BYU and DePaul since entering the transfer portal this morning.

First-team All-MVC guard averaged 19.0 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2070 on: April 28, 2020, 03:49:14 PM »

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
4m
Valparaiso transfer Javon Freeman-Liberty tells ESPN he has heard from Oregon, Arkansas, Marquette, BYU and DePaul since entering the transfer portal this morning.

Clearly three of the schools didn't get the memo he was trying to stay close to home
Maigh Eo for Sam

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2071 on: April 28, 2020, 03:49:30 PM »

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
4m

28.7% three point shooter on 275 attempts over his two seasons.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2072 on: April 28, 2020, 03:59:56 PM »
28.7% three point shooter on 275 attempts over his two seasons.

Who cares about that?? The kid is a phenomenal basketball player as his numbers against tier 1 indicate...and oh yeah, a guy that covers the NBA for a living, tends to agree...

Sam Vecenie
@Sam_Vecenie
Best transfer I’ve seen available. Kind of a sneaky draft prospect, IMO.
Quote Tweet
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
 · 6h
Valparaiso guard Javon Freeman-Liberty has entered the transfer portal, source told ESPN. 6-foot-3 sophomore averaged 19.0 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists. First-team All-Missouri Valley.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2073 on: April 28, 2020, 04:03:34 PM »
Who cares about that?? The kid is a phenomenal basketball player as his numbers against tier 1 indicate...and oh yeah, a guy that covers the NBA for a living, tends to agree...

Sam Vecenie
@Sam_Vecenie
Quote Tweet
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
 · 6h
Valparaiso guard Javon Freeman-Liberty has entered the transfer portal, source told ESPN. 6-foot-3 sophomore averaged 19.0 points, 6.1 rebounds and 3.2 assists. First-team All-Missouri Valley.
So, I guess we should be happy with Koby’s 29.2%........

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #2074 on: April 28, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »

Sam Vecenie
@Sam_Vecenie
Quote Tweet
Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
 · 6h

Freeman-Liberty is a fantastic player and his advanced stats back it up. For reference, T-rank has him listed as the second best remaining available transfer, ahead of the likes of Marcus Santos-Silva that people were salivating over here. He would likely transform our team as much, if not more than Carton (though Carton obviously has the pedigree and power conference background).

We should be doing everything in our power to reel him in.

Immediately eligible Freeman-Libety and Carton backcourt next year would be a hell of a reload after losing Sacar and Markus.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 04:25:22 PM by Tha Hound »

feedback