[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474799 times)

muguru

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #2025 on: April 25, 2020, 08:18:32 PM »
Really wish MU would have gotten involved with him..

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
5m
Wake Forest transfer Chaundee Brown is down to Gonzaga, LSU, Illinois and Iowa State.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #2026 on: April 25, 2020, 08:32:57 PM »

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
5m
Wake Forest transfer Chaundee Brown is down to Gonzaga, LSU, Illinois and Iowa State.
Maybe we knew it wasn't worth going after?
Goal is National Championship

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2027 on: April 25, 2020, 10:59:20 PM »

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
5m
Every transfer I swear has Iowa state in their final

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #2028 on: April 26, 2020, 01:42:38 AM »
:'(

Yeah, 3.3 points a game is worth crying over.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #2029 on: April 26, 2020, 04:08:40 AM »
For Marquette, the grad transfer prize at this moment may just be Ray Salnave.

Similar to Sacar in size, three point shooting percentage, rebounds and toughness, but much better in assists, FT %, and ability of get to the foul line.

Ray turns the ball over more, but has more steals, so it is a wash there.

I’m a big fan of what Sacar brought to Marquette, and Ray is the kind of kid who would do the same.

He would fit in very nicely as a shooting wing who can also attack the rim, especially with our new PG (if eligible) and stretch 4 (Garcia) keeping opponents on their heels.

And think about this:

DJ, Garcia and Ray might compare somewhat to Howard/Anim, so would there really be any significant drop off from last season, especially with our other highly touted freshmen and overall improvement from Theo/Greg/Koby because of no injuries?

Maybe not.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2030 on: April 26, 2020, 06:49:29 AM »
Every transfer I swear has Iowa state in their final

That's because Iowa St is in on every transfer because they had 4 open scholarships..LOL One of their posters was keeping a spreadsheet of who they had known contact with, and prior to getting a commitment from former Memphis Guard Tyler Harris yesterday, according to their scorecard they were like 0-25 on transfers prior to that.  :D

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2031 on: April 26, 2020, 07:32:40 AM »

Similar to Sacar in size, three point shooting percentage, rebounds and toughness, but much better in assists, FT %, and ability of get to the foul line.

Never higher than 101.7 adjusted ORtg, 36.4% from deep last year was his career best, but what I'd really disagree with is the bolded. Wojo's system doesn't just not emphasize steals, it actively deemphasizes them. I remember how tentative Chartouny looked on defense at times when he was unsure if he should attack the ball (his speciality) or just hold his ground.

Chartouny's steal rate was cut in half coming to Marquette, from one of the best (literally top-2 nationally two years running) to mediocre. Marquette hasn't had a player crack 3% steal rate (think top-150ish nationally) since Jajuan Johnson graduated.

Marquette players not getting steals isn't a bug, it's a feature.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #2032 on: April 26, 2020, 08:30:36 AM »
Never higher than 101.7 adjusted ORtg, 36.4% from deep last year was his career best, but what I'd really disagree with is the bolded. Wojo's system doesn't just not emphasize steals, it actively deemphasizes them. I remember how tentative Chartouny looked on defense at times when he was unsure if he should attack the ball (his speciality) or just hold his ground.

Chartouny's steal rate was cut in half coming to Marquette, from one of the best (literally top-2 nationally two years running) to mediocre. Marquette hasn't had a player crack 3% steal rate (think top-150ish nationally) since Jajuan Johnson graduated.

Good point Brew.

But, Ray’s turnovers will likely decrease as well, as he would not be the primary or secondary ball handler on Marquette, especially if he plays the 3 on the wing, as a spot up shooter who will also drive and draw fouls.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2033 on: April 26, 2020, 10:39:02 AM »
Good point Brew.

But, Ray’s turnovers will likely decrease as well, as he would not be the primary or secondary ball handler on Marquette, especially if he plays the 3 on the wing, as a spot up shooter who will also drive and draw fouls.

Possible, but the last two up-transfers we had, Chartouny & McEwen, had significantly worse turnover rates in the Big East. And Salnave seems to have played more off the ball than on (Chaput was their primary point).
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #2034 on: April 26, 2020, 11:38:48 AM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
3m
Garder-Webb transfer Jose Perez tells @Stockrisers
 he’s down to 10 finalists:

Illinois, Memphis, Minnesota, St. John’s, Marquette, Georgia Tech, New Mexico, Iowa State, BYU and DePaul.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2035 on: April 26, 2020, 11:54:26 AM »

I like good positional defense as much as anybody does. But I sure wish we got a lot more of the easy steal-and-take-it-the-other-way baskets than we have under Wojo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2036 on: April 26, 2020, 01:46:50 PM »
Yeah, 3.3 points a game is worth crying over.

A former top 50 guy who did that and played good D as a sub, playing hurt. He planned to take a redshirt year to get healthy and develop. I’ll get over it, though if/when MU gets a legit big in the 2021 class.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2037 on: April 26, 2020, 02:12:22 PM »

I’m a big fan of what Sacar brought to Marquette, and Ray is the kind of kid who would do the same.

He would fit in very nicely as a shooting wing who can also attack the rim, especially with our new PG (if eligible) and stretch 4 (Garcia) keeping opponents on their heels.

And think about this:

DJ, Garcia and Ray might compare somewhat to Howard/Anim, so would there really be any significant drop off from last season, especially with our other highly touted freshmen and overall improvement from Theo/Greg/Koby because of no injuries?

Maybe not.

He’s actually a couple of inches shorter than Sacar  Sacar mostly played a wing forward. As this year’s recruiting indicates, Wojo is moving toward taller guys with length since less talented teams with length (DePaul among them) were able to give the offense fits by smothering Sacar, Koby and Markus with that length. To get minutes, Salvane will have to compete for time next to Carton from Koby, Greg and maybe even Brendon.

I see him as more of a depth piece than a prize. 
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:14:59 PM by 4everDawson »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

moomoo

• Team Captain
« Reply #2038 on: April 26, 2020, 05:34:45 PM »
He’s actually a couple of inches shorter than Sacar  Sacar mostly played a wing forward. As this year’s recruiting indicates, Wojo is moving toward taller guys with length since less talented teams with length (DePaul among them) were able to give the offense fits by smothering Sacar, Koby and Markus with that length. To get minutes, Salvane will have to compete for time next to Carton from Koby, Greg and maybe even Brendon.

I see him as more of a depth piece than a prize.

I wrote prize “at this moment”, since many better grad transfers are off the board.

Agreed——->there would be a fight for starter minutes so it is a depth issue, which is a good thing.

Ray is listed at 6-3 or 6-4 (depending on article) and 205 pounds.

Sacar  is 6-5, 209 pounds.

Similar size, and yes, not the same.

Nowadays, the small forward and the shooting guard are almost the same position and are considered wing players, so i don’t think there is a distinction here between the two. 

Im like liking the trend you point out regarding taller guys with length.

Would be a nice addition with what’s left and I think he’d would be helpful in cushioning the blow with the graduation of Sacar, one of my favorite warriors.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #2039 on: April 26, 2020, 06:05:08 PM »
I wrote prize “at this moment”, since many better grad transfers are off the board.

Agreed——->there would be a fight for starter minutes so it is a depth issue, which is a good thing.

Nowadays, the small forward and the shooting guard are almost the same position and are considered wing players, so i don’t think there is a distinction here between the two. 

Would be a nice addition with what’s left and I think he’d would be helpful in cushioning the blow with the graduation of Sacar, one of my favorite warriors.
+1

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2040 on: April 26, 2020, 06:37:37 PM »

While being one of the most athletic Warriors he wasn't the most skilled but he seemed to give 100% effort.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2041 on: April 26, 2020, 07:34:57 PM »
Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
3m
Garder-Webb transfer Jose Perez tells @Stockrisers
 he’s down to 10 finalists:

Illinois, Memphis, Minnesota, St. John’s, Marquette, Georgia Tech, New Mexico, Iowa State, BYU and DePaul.

Not quite as hilarious as Kevin Marfo releasing a top 15, but a top 10 list is still impressive for a transfer

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #2042 on: April 27, 2020, 07:57:57 AM »
Not quite as hilarious as Kevin Marfo releasing a top 15, but a top 10 list is still impressive for a transfer

I think this kid would be spectacular for MU
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #2043 on: April 27, 2020, 11:07:24 AM »
I think this kid would be spectacular for MU

drops MU from 61 to 63 on T-Rank. High usage guy.

I wouldn't mind him, beats an empty bench spot.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2044 on: April 27, 2020, 11:31:12 AM »
drops MU from 61 to 63 on T-Rank. High usage guy.

I wouldn't mind him, beats an empty bench spot.

I would imagine Perez will have to sit a year.  Not a bad project to take on though, IMO. 

Even with Perez, still one more spot open for Mane, or other some other transfer/reclassify player that can impact next season's roster. 

Two if Bailey decides he's NBA ready. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2045 on: April 27, 2020, 11:44:24 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 11:50:34 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #2046 on: April 27, 2020, 11:58:12 AM »
I would imagine Perez will have to sit a year.  Not a bad project to take on though, IMO. 

Even with Perez, still one more spot open for Mane, or other some other transfer/reclassify player that can impact next season's roster. 

If Bailey is NBA ready so am I at 68!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2047 on: April 27, 2020, 12:07:10 PM »
I did a little more research on Perez and it changed my mind a little from my initial impressions.

The hope with Perez is that with a year off and sliding from #1 scoring option to #4 or #5 scoring option, his scoring stats from his freshman season will return while retaining the rebounding and assist stats that he put as a sophomore.

As a freshman, he was a scoring stud for a KenPom top 175 team that earned an auto bid to the NCAA tournament. His eFG% was 49.7%, shooting 46.8% from 2 and 36.6% from 3. Even better, his stats against Tier A competition per KenPom were better than his stats against lower ranked teams. In 4 Tier A Games (at VCU, at Buzz' Virginia Tech, at Top 60 Furman, and an NCAAT game against National Champion Virginia), Perez had a stellar O-Rtg of 116.2 and shot a blistering 62.5 eFG%. His 3s were a bit off at 6/19 (31.6%), but he was electric inside the arc, scoring 16/21 (76.2%) and getting to the line 24 times for a FTR of 60.0. The NCAA Tournament game against the #1 defense in the country was especially impressive. 19 points, 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 1 steal, 2 turnovers, 3/4 from 2P, 4/6 from 3P, 1/2 FTA.

If Perez had transferred at the end of his freshman season, he would have been one of the top transfers available. It's not a stretch to say that he would have had blue blood level offers.

The problem is he seemingly regressed his sophomore year. Basic stats stayed about the same but his scoring efficiency plummeted. A gross eFG% of 37.7%, shooting 37.4 from 2P, 25.6 from 3P. Unlike his FR year where he was better against Tier A competition, he was significantly worse as a sophomore. But while his scoring efficiency tanked, his other efficiency stats improved. His OR% bumped up a bit, his assist rate jumped from 18.9 to 24.1, his Steal% increased by .5% and his FTR went up a little, all while keeping his TO Rate to respectable 15.1.

Regression is certainly a possible explanation, as is whatever this personal issue was that caused Perez to leave after 22 games. But I think it may have more to do with the graduations of David Efianayi and DJ Laster. With them gone, Perez was the only returning double figure scorer, and 1 of only 4 returning players who averaged more than 3 points a game. Perez went from 2nd or 3rd on the scouting report to the clear #1 and he obviously struggled. It's not unreasonable to think that by joining a high major, he could surround himself with better weapons and return to the efficiency he displayed as a FR while being an effective, ball controlling PG.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2048 on: April 27, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »

Thats 3 years of Perez then.

Id rather have him now as guard depth if the rule to allow all transfers passes.

But overall I don't want him regardless
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2049 on: April 27, 2020, 01:14:49 PM »
Thats 3 years of Perez then.

Id rather have him now as guard depth if the rule to allow all transfers passes.

But overall I don't want him regardless

I don't really get why you wouldn't want him.  I mean, yah - I'd love to fill the 2 (or 3) open spots with no brainer high major starters as well.  But that's not happening at this point, so I'd be happy to take on Perez and see what we have as opposed to burning scholarships which is very dumb.  Worst case scenario is we have a role playing guard off the bench with 2 years of D1 experience.  Not so bad. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.