[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474886 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1900 on: April 19, 2020, 04:27:58 PM »
Sorry if this has been posted

@WisBBYearbook: Former Milwaukee Riverside wing Terrance Lewis (6-5) will transfer from Iowa State to South Alabama. Lewis will sit out one year and play one year at South Alabama.

Lots of angst when he didn’t commit to MU due to his AAU coach being Dwayne Wilson’s dad.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1901 on: April 19, 2020, 04:52:26 PM »
Lots of angst when he didn’t commit to MU due to his AAU coach being Dwayne Wilson’s dad.
Think it’s spelled Duane

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1902 on: April 19, 2020, 05:12:31 PM »

I admit, he was one I was hoping Marquette got. 

His number have gotten consistently better year-to-year but his minutes were wildly inconsistent and had a lot of DNP.

Hope his last year at South Alabama works out
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1903 on: April 19, 2020, 05:14:32 PM »
Think it’s spelled Duane

You are 100% correct.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1904 on: April 19, 2020, 06:14:18 PM »
Jon Rothstein
@JonRothstein
Memphis guard Tyler Harris will transfer, per his Twitter page.

Sounds like in reading the Memphis board, Penny is running him off because they are getting a commit from Landers Nolley tomorrow
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:06:16 AM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1905 on: April 20, 2020, 09:01:52 AM »
Back up for Theo??

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
5m
Oregon sophomore Francis Okoro is transferring, sources told ESPN. Started 40 games over the last two seasons, averaged 3.3 points and 4.2 rebounds last season. Former top-60 prospect.

He is Nigerian, time for Ike to talk him about MU, even if he sits for a year, would have a chance to start in 2 years.  Rather have Etienne but need somebody with
some muscle.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1906 on: April 20, 2020, 11:34:23 AM »
Borzello confirming Marquette has been in contact with Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez.  Along with 30+ other schools. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1907 on: April 20, 2020, 11:36:31 AM »
Borzello confirming Marquette has been in contact with Gardner-Webb transfer Jose Perez.  Along with 30+ other schools.

Specifically listed Marquette, Memphis, Depaul, Mizzou, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Iowa St, Rd Island, SJU, Tulsa, New Mexico, BYU, Illinois, Dayton and San Diego.   

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1908 on: April 20, 2020, 11:40:52 AM »

Was just about to post this...would love this get...because A. He's a sit out guy so it has zero affect on Mane. B. IF they pass the one year transfer rule, maybe MU could convince him to sit a year, or maybe he's willing to. The kid can play, but if he wants to be eligible this year...pass.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 11:42:36 AM by muguru »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1909 on: April 20, 2020, 11:43:55 AM »

Zach Braziller

@NYPost_Brazille
 · 1h
Seton Hall PG Anthony Nelson is transferring, per source. #shbb. Pirates now have two open scholarships.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1910 on: April 20, 2020, 11:47:17 AM »
Was just about to post this...would love this get...because A. He's a sit out guy so it has zero affect on Mane. B. IF they pass the one year transfer rule, maybe MU could convince him to sit a year, or maybe he's willing to. The kid can play, but if he wants to be eligible this year...pass.

I mean...why pass?  We have two open scholarships, and Mane is really the only guy we appear to have that could be considered somewhat close. 

That being said, unless the NCAA gives blanket waivers (seems unlikely IMO), I don't see why Perez would be a candidate for an immediate play waiver. 

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1911 on: April 20, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
I mean...why pass?  We have two open scholarships, and Mane is really the only guy we appear to have that could be considered somewhat close. 

That being said, unless the NCAA gives blanket waivers (seems unlikely IMO), I don't see why Perez would be a candidate for an immediate play waiver.

I'd pass if he wants to be eligible right now, because another Guard(regardless of talent), COULD give Mane more reason to look elsewhere. You just don't know what these kids want or are looking for. You are correct, the only way he'd be eligible I think is the one time transfer rule passing. That's why I'd LOVE this get if he is for 2021 and right now he would be.

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #1912 on: April 20, 2020, 11:51:17 AM »
By the way, which USF, that could be San Francisco or South Florida.  If South Florida, then it’s Brian Gregory.  One of the few coaches who managed to lose to Wojo’s first team, arguably our worst team post Al era.

Todd Golden- San Francisco. Here’s the link: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/solving-basketball/id1437341073?i=1000463915611

Everyone should check it out.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1913 on: April 20, 2020, 12:02:08 PM »
I'd pass if he wants to be eligible right now, because another Guard(regardless of talent), COULD give Mane more reason to look elsewhere. You just don't know what these kids want or are looking for. You are correct, the only way he'd be eligible I think is the one time transfer rule passing. That's why I'd LOVE this get if he is for 2021 and right now he would be.

All things being considered, I'd probably take the older and more experienced player if I was choosing between Mane and Perez for next season.  Total hypothetical obviously, as I feel like Perez is likely to have to sit out, and don't think we'd need to "chose" between the two.

Mane would be great.  I hope we land him.  But I don't think he's going to make quite the impact some here think he will as a freshman.  I am sure he's really good, but Symir was ranked higher in the same class before reclassifying, and while I feel like Symir will be a really good cbb player at some point, he wasn't a difference maker as a freshman by any stretch.  Plus, Mane seems so married to going pro, and since he's already 20 years old, if the choice was 2 years of a proven college player (Perez) over 1 for sure year of Mane (then who knows?) who seems more focused on playing professionally, I'd probably lean Perez.

Again, don't really think its an either or, and Mane is far from a slamdunk to go to MU.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1914 on: April 20, 2020, 01:57:29 PM »

I'd pass because I'm not convinced Perez is a high-major player. Low efficiency player who was miserable against Tier A opponents last year.

If they look to fill one, I'd prefer Okoro or McCauley.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1915 on: April 20, 2020, 01:57:54 PM »
I mean...why pass?  We have two open scholarships, and Mane is really the only guy we appear to have that could be considered somewhat close

Maybe Mac Etienne too?
I don't know why I have this feeling he'll reclassify to 2020.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1916 on: April 20, 2020, 02:35:37 PM »
I'd pass because I'm not convinced Perez is a high-major player. Low efficiency player who was miserable against Tier A opponents last year.

I agree, Okoro would be my choice...I like McCauley as well, kid can really shoot it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1917 on: April 20, 2020, 02:52:46 PM »

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

DePaul’s Jalen Coleman-Lands is in the transfer portal, per the portal. Averaged 11.1 points per game this past season. Started his career at Illinois and will be a grad transfer.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1918 on: April 20, 2020, 02:57:40 PM »

Jeff Goodman

@GoodmanHoops

DePaul’s Jalen Coleman-Lands is in the transfer portal, per the portal. Averaged 11.1 points per game this past season. Started his career at Illinois and will be a grad transfer.

Hahahahaha hahahaha
Maigh Eo for Sam

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1919 on: April 20, 2020, 03:38:55 PM »
All things being considered, I'd probably take the older and more experienced player if I was choosing between Mane and Perez for next season.  Total hypothetical obviously, as I feel like Perez is likely to have to sit out, and don't think we'd need to "chose" between the two.

Mane would be great.  I hope we land him.  But I don't think he's going to make quite the impact some here think he will as a freshman.  I am sure he's really good, but Symir was ranked higher in the same class before reclassifying, and while I feel like Symir will be a really good cbb player at some point, he wasn't a difference maker as a freshman by any stretch.  Plus, Mane seems so married to going pro, and since he's already 20 years old, if the choice was 2 years of a proven college player (Perez) over 1 for sure year of Mane (then who knows?) who seems more focused on playing professionally, I'd probably lean Perez.

Again, don't really think its an either or, and Mane is far from a slamdunk to go to MU.

You have said this a few times now and I just want to point out that because Symir re-classified, he was playing college basketball when he should have been a senior in high school. Let's not compare a senior in high school playing college ball to a 20 year old kid entering college ball.

I think Symir will be a fantastic player for us this upcoming year and in the future.  The reason most people here aren't AS high on Symir (despite, like you said, being a top 40 recruit in his original class), is because he was underaged for CBB standards.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1920 on: April 20, 2020, 04:18:51 PM »
Maybe Mac Etienne too?
I don't know why I have this feeling he'll reclassify to 2020.

He may reclassify, but Marquette is one of a bunch of schools hes looking at, including some blue bloods.  I'd love to land him, but I wouldn't consider him "close" at all. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1921 on: April 20, 2020, 04:23:02 PM »
You have said this a few times now and I just want to point out that because Symir re-classified, he was playing college basketball when he should have been a senior in high school. Let's not compare a senior in high school playing college ball to a 20 year old kid entering college ball.

I think Symir will be a fantastic player for us this upcoming year and in the future.  The reason most people here aren't AS high on Symir (despite, like you said, being a top 40 recruit in his original class), is because he was underaged for CBB standards.

Obviously, regarding the bolded.  Doesn't change the fact that people who do this for a living thought Symir was a better prospect than Mane as of a year ago.  Pretty sure Mane had a meh senior season, so I don't think his stock has really gone up since then. 

I agree Symir will be a very good cbb player.  Mane probably will too - if he sticks around until he's an upperclassman, which sounds very unlikely based on the fact he's at least considered going straight to the nba.  Again - I'd love to get Mane.  I'm just not sold he's going to make a huge impact as a freshman in the Big East, though.  Most kids ranked around where he is usually aren't high impact players as freshman.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1922 on: April 20, 2020, 04:30:59 PM »

Fair. 

Has Marquette been tied to either Okoro of McCauley?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1923 on: April 20, 2020, 04:31:34 PM »
Obviously, regarding the bolded.  Doesn't change the fact that people who do this for a living thought Symir was a better prospect than Mane as of a year ago.  Pretty sure Mane had a meh senior season, so I don't think his stock has really gone up since then. 

I agree Symir will be a very good cbb player.  Mane probably will too - if he sticks around until he's an upperclassman, which sounds very unlikely based on the fact he's at least considered going straight to the nba.  Again - I'd love to get Mane.  I'm just not sold he's going to make a huge impact as a freshman in the Big East, though.  Most kids ranked around where he is usually aren't high impact players as freshman.

You keep saying that Symir was rated higher than Mane..I don't know what rankings you are going by, but Mane is ranked #25 according to 247..That's a 5*

Karim Mane
Karim Mane Vanier College (Montreal, QC)
CG
6-4 / 195

And though they don't have a rating for him, Rivals also has him as a 5*

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2020/karim-mane-250843

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:41:10 PM by muguru »

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1924 on: April 20, 2020, 04:34:29 PM »
Fair. 

Has Marquette been tied to either Okoro of McCauley?

Jake
@jakeweingarten
·
5h
Lincoln Memorial (DII) transfer Courvoisier McCauley has heard from Minnesota, Mizzou, Wake Forest, Texas A&M, South Carolina, DePaul, Georgetown, amongst many others since entering the portal, he told @Stockrisers

DePaul has literally been in on almost every transfer in the portal it seems. Them and Iowa State. LOL