[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474893 times)

DoctorV

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1825 on: April 17, 2020, 12:03:35 AM »
They need some bodies right now to fill out the bench, he will be one of them.  Cal is really into rebuilding next year, top 6 gone, wow, but I bet he will get them into
the tourny as usual.  If MU gets Mane, then it will be interesting to see how both programs do.  MU will have some depth with experience, but the coaching, we will
see.  Both programs will have many new starters!  MU could have 4, but probably 3.

Koby and Theo nearly a lock to start in Nov. I’d say Bailey will start too.

If DJC plays S5 should be DJ, Koby, BB, Dawson, Theo.
First off the bench took me a min but I’d say Jamal and Greg, with Sy and JLew right there. Oso and Dex lighter minutes.
So many guys with high upside its great though. Markus saying Dex was first in the gym shooting jumpers with him, oso looking like he is improving by the day, Jamal with the ability to have a huge breakout year as an upper classman with extra minutes, Sy looking like he can be a great pure pg, Lewis a potential huge fan favorite...a lot of solid options

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1826 on: April 17, 2020, 10:20:35 AM »
There's a Jon Rothstein tweet from this morning (on my work laptop so can't link) speaking about waivers and that he could see a number of 2021 guys re-classifying to 2020.  Anyone that we're involved with that fits this mold?

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1827 on: April 17, 2020, 10:40:45 AM »
There's a Jon Rothstein tweet from this morning (on my work laptop so can't link) speaking about waivers and that he could see a number of 2021 guys re-classifying to 2020.  Anyone that we're involved with that fits this mold?
https://twitter.com/jonrothstein/status/1251156409804140557?s=21

This tweet?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1828 on: April 17, 2020, 11:08:00 AM »

I can't for the life of me find it, but someone posted a link a few days ago in either this thread or the recruiting one of a Junior PF/C (class of 2021) who was considering reclassifying to 2020 and had Marquette on his list. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1829 on: April 17, 2020, 11:14:33 AM »
I can't for the life of me find it, but someone posted a link a few days ago in either this thread or the recruiting one of a Junior PF/C (class of 2021) who was considering reclassifying to 2020 and had Marquette on his list.

Michael Foster Jr.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1830 on: April 17, 2020, 11:22:17 AM »
Michael Foster Jr.

Nah, wasn't Foster.  I'll try to find it again. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1831 on: April 17, 2020, 11:23:19 AM »

Hmm. Well, we are on his list, he has visited, and he is debating reclassifying.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1832 on: April 17, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

I think you're talking about Mac Etienne??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #1833 on: April 17, 2020, 11:27:43 AM »
So the NCAA is going to let players that are potentially not academically eligible skip their last year of HS so they can be eligible right away?

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1834 on: April 17, 2020, 11:28:14 AM »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1835 on: April 17, 2020, 11:30:19 AM »
So the NCAA is going to let players that are potentially not academically eligible skip their last year of HS so they can be eligible right away?

Yah, not sure I follow the logic on why this would lead to a bunch of reclassifying. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1836 on: April 17, 2020, 11:32:23 AM »
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1250508816912920579

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
There are 788 kids in the NCAA Transfer Portal as of today, a D-1 coach tells me.

Seven hundred eighty-eight.

Sew yar seyin' ders a chance Woj brings another dude on board, hey?

Not sure if people saw this tweet from yesterday.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1837 on: April 17, 2020, 11:39:20 AM »
I saw it and shrugged. I don't get why this is an issue. So players are looking for better situations. Seems like a good thing. Hope they all find situations that make them happy, or at least happier than they were.

Me too.

It's college sports. A lot of people are constantly looking for the next great opportunity -- players, assistant coaches, coaches, athletic directors, etc. In the past (and still for right now until the rule is changed), only players were unfairly locked in.

Another note on this: 788 ... and not a one of them trying to escape the worst program run by the worst coach in history. (At least not yet.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

franklinjerry

• Starter
« Reply #1838 on: April 17, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
Doctor if Koby is considered a "lock" to start, this team will not be good!

onepost

• All American

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1840 on: April 17, 2020, 12:19:56 PM »
YES! THANK YOU, GURU!

Here's the article:

https://www.zagsblog.com/2020/04/13/mac-etienne-50-50-on-reclassifying-talks-recent-offers/

Some highlights from the article:

Etienne has taken two of his official visits thus far, with the first coming to Marquette in October.

“Marquette is a great school. I have a great relationship with the coaches and it’s a real family feel,” he said. “I hung out with the team a lot. They said that I would almost be replacing Theo [John].”

“They play in a great conference, the Big East. They’re one of the top-25 teams in the country. Marquette is a great school. I love it there.”

and

Etienne broke down what he’s looking for when choosing a school:
“I definitely want to go to a school with a great point guard because that can really affect how their bigs play,” he said. “That’s how you can really win a national championship.”

“I want a family-feel and I want it to be like a home away from home,” Etienne said. “I want to try and win the national championship, that’s something I really want to do.”

“Also, a great education. If I can get a great education while I’m playing basketball then I feel like I should take that opportunity,” he said. “Even if you leave early for the NBA Draft, you still have a scholarship and can still take classes to get your degree. I really like how the NCAA implemented that.”

Certainly seems like Marquette checks a lot of his boxes. Seems like the Carton commit could be a good selling point for Etienne. If he were to reclassify and commit that would answer a lot of folks concerns about Theo's backup.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1841 on: April 17, 2020, 12:26:35 PM »
Was it Michael Forster or Kendall Brown that called out MU about a month ago on not reaching out to him and then wojo scheduled a visit?

A surprise commitment from either of those two would be incredible.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1842 on: April 17, 2020, 12:29:22 PM »
Was it Michael Forster or Kendall Brown that called out MU about a month ago on not reaching out to him and then wojo scheduled a visit?

Foster.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1843 on: April 17, 2020, 12:30:39 PM »
Some highlights from the article:

and

Certainly seems like Marquette checks a lot of his boxes. Seems like the Carton commit could be a good selling point for Etienne. If he were to reclassify and commit that would answer a lot of folks concerns about Theo's backup.

If Etienne reclassifies and MU lands him that would be a huge get. Top 60 guy comes in to split minutes with Theo for one year then can assume the starting role his sophomore year.

Mane and Etienne is a pipe dream but it'd certainly be fun.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1844 on: April 17, 2020, 01:06:00 PM »

It was Foster.

Kendall Brown has been on campus twice now, I believe. Seems to be friends with Dawson Garcia as well.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1845 on: April 17, 2020, 01:32:20 PM »
It was Foster.

Kendall Brown has been on campus twice now, I believe. Seems to be friends with Dawson Garcia as well.

Feels like we're currently in a great spot with Brown, and he's no doubt my #1 hope for 2021.  I wonder how much the Stan departure plays a role in his recruitment (ala Jalen Bridges dropping us once Nelson left): hopefully we don't lose much ground on it.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1846 on: April 17, 2020, 02:16:27 PM »

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1847 on: April 17, 2020, 03:06:18 PM »
They need some bodies right now to fill out the bench, he will be one of them.  Cal is really into rebuilding next year, top 6 gone, wow, but I bet he will get them into
the tourny as usual.  If MU gets Mane, then it will be interesting to see how both programs do.  MU will have some depth with experience, but the coaching, we will
see.  Both programs will have many new starters!  MU could have 4, but probably 3.
Given all the talent Cal has had at Kentucky, I am not sure I would claim he is a better game coach than Wojo.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1848 on: April 17, 2020, 03:13:16 PM »
I think it is very likely that if you got all your core classes in that you would qualify to graduate. Maybe you need summer school to get it completely done. Since players were are ready reclassifying the only thing that changed is that you do not have to take the ACT test.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1849 on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:06 PM »
Back up for Theo??

Jeff Borzello
@jeffborzello
·
5m
Oregon sophomore Francis Okoro is transferring, sources told ESPN. Started 40 games over the last two seasons, averaged 3.3 points and 4.2 rebounds last season. Former top-60 prospect.