[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474906 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1800 on: April 16, 2020, 01:29:04 PM »
I would love to get Mane. However, getting him makes me think it will raise next year's expectations so high that it is unlikely posters will be happy at the end of season.

I don't think you really care about that, do you? I sure don't. Some folks are never happy.

Mane would be a great get, and I'd love it if he selects our alma mater, but this already has been an outstanding recruiting haul for our coach and our program. Better than outstanding, really.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1801 on: April 16, 2020, 01:33:35 PM »
Yeah thats the guy.

But wasnt he like a 32% shooter last year and even worse FG% overall?

Obviously could just be a bad year but I think it was pretty high volume and he was allergic to the line.

LOL at the allergic to the line comment, very true. Dude went 3/7 at the charity stripe despite 186 FG attempts.

He's pretty much ONLY a three point shooter. 168/186 FGA were from beyond the arc. I think his spot up numbers are in the 72nd percentile because they are virtually all threes (increases the ppp as opposed to guys who spot up inside the arc) and he shoots a bit better percentage on spot-up threes (33.8%). Conversely, he sucks at transition threes, hitting just 6/25 (24%) which drags his overall 3PFG% down.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1802 on: April 16, 2020, 01:33:53 PM »
I don't think you really care about that, do you? I sure don't. Some folks are never happy.

Mane would be a great get, and I'd love it if he selects our alma mater, but this already has been an outstanding recruiting haul for our coach and our program. Better than outstanding, really.
I want Mane and would take him in a heartbeat, so do not get me wrong on that point.

I do care about unreasonable expectations.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:44:03 PM by bilsu »

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: April 16, 2020, 01:38:08 PM »
LOL at the allergic to the line comment, very true. Dude went 3/7 at the charity stripe despite 186 FG attempts.

He's pretty much ONLY a three point shooter. 168/186 FGA were from beyond the arc. I think his spot up numbers are in the 72nd percentile because they are virtually all threes (increases the ppp as opposed to guys who spot up inside the arc) and he shoots a bit better percentage on spot-up threes (33.8%). Conversely, he sucks at transition threes, hitting just 6/25 (24%) which drags his overall 3PFG% down.

Wow.  Considering Jake Thomas went to the FT Line 46 times, that's saying something.  This guy doesn't comp out as well as Jake Thomas.  Jake took 35 2 pt shots his senior year.  172 3's that he hit at 39% clip.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: April 16, 2020, 01:39:39 PM »
I would love to get Mane. However, getting him makes me think it will raise next year's expectations so high that it is unlikely posters will be happy at the end of season.
Great news lately but still going to be an NIT year. Hope I'm wrong but Wojo's got a young team.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1805 on: April 16, 2020, 01:46:47 PM »
Great news lately but still going to be an NIT year. Hope I'm wrong but Wojo's got a young team.
Your expectations are reasonable, because we easily could do better. Expectations that are so high that they are virtually unachievable are a problem.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1806 on: April 16, 2020, 01:48:59 PM »
I'm trying to figure it out (assuming Jonah Antonio), maybe it's just that they see him as someone who can take up minutes and doesn't really hurt you. He has decent efficiency, can hit the outside shot (his reputation as a shooter is much better than his actual production though) and doesn't turn it over. He's a very average defender based on Synergy numbers.

If you just need someone to get to a spot and shoot jumpers while holding his own on defense, he can be that guy. My biggest worry is that at MSM, he was a good spot up shooter and great coming off screens and making cuts. Defensively, he was very good. At UNLV, he was a decent spot up shooter and still good but clearly not as good at the things he really excelled at on offense while his defense went from very good to average. This is all easily explained by the step up from the NEC to the Mountain West, but that leads me to believe another step down would be in order from the MWC to the Big East. Though if he's comfortable being a 10-15 mpg guy off the bench at multiple positions, I guess that's okay. Not everyone can be the star.

Antonio was playing with an injured shooting hand at UNLV. The hope is that if healthy, he could be a good shooter. Don't think we are still involved though.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1807 on: April 16, 2020, 02:12:04 PM »
So now that we got Carton, who have we’ve been mentioned with.

Incoming Freshman: Mane
Transfers: Jonah Antonio

These are the ones off the top of my head without digging deep into all the nonsense can someone help fill in the other options for final 2 spots.

I think this is the full list, though there are new names being added daily. 

Karim Mane (freshman) PG
Jalen Carey (Cuse transfer; sit 1; play 2) PG
Darius Perry (Louisville grad) PG
Gabe Watson (Southern Miss; sit 1, play 2) G
Jonah Antonio (UNLV grad) SG

Only uncommitted grad transfers on Goodman's top 40 lists are Haarms (Purdue), Darius Perry (Louisville - Marquette on his list), Drew Buggs (Hawaii), Quan Jackson (Georgia Southern), Jair Bolden (So Carolina), Ryan Betley (Penn), Evan COle (Georgia Tech), and Justin Kier (George Mason).  I believe the only one we've been mentioned with is Darius Perry, but that ship may have sailed with Carton. 

Traditional trasnfer wise - beyond Carey, someone like Wake Forest guard Chaundee Brown could make some sense.  Looks like he'd be a sit 1, play 1.  Just announced his transfer yesterday. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: April 16, 2020, 02:30:31 PM »

Brian Snow

@BSnow247

Have heard from more than a few sources that football is pushing for immediate transfer eligibility more than basketball. AD's want it, football at least seems to want it, and recent football transfers indicate a lot think it will happen.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: April 16, 2020, 02:43:43 PM »
So, you'd rather not have the potential to have a really special season, and are fine "settling" for whatever this season brings?? Getting Carton was huge, and I have said as much...I'm giddy as hell. That being said, there is still a chance for more...why not take it, if it's there?? Also...they would be better with Carton and Mane as opposed to just with Carton...no denying that.

Of course I want the potential to have a really special season, we all do.  No one wants to "settle".
 But to say we NEED Mane is just par-for-the-course for you.  You're setting yourself up for a letdown ala Justin Turner.  We could get Mane and it would be fantastic, but don't get irrational and say it's a NECESSITY and a FAILURE if we don't get him.  Yesterday was huge, let's celebrate that for 2 minutes.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: April 16, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »
If Mane says tomorrow he's coming to Marquette, guru will find somebody else to NEED. But that's OK ... at least he has passion for the program.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lessthannick11

• Team Captain
« Reply #1811 on: April 16, 2020, 03:28:03 PM »
I think this is the full list, though there are new names being added daily. 

Karim Mane (freshman) PG
Jalen Carey (Cuse transfer; sit 1; play 2) PG
Darius Perry (Louisville grad) PG
Gabe Watson (Southern Miss; sit 1, play 2) G
Jonah Antonio (UNLV grad) SG

Only uncommitted grad transfers on Goodman's top 40 lists are Haarms (Purdue), Darius Perry (Louisville - Marquette on his list), Drew Buggs (Hawaii), Quan Jackson (Georgia Southern), Jair Bolden (So Carolina), Ryan Betley (Penn), Evan COle (Georgia Tech), and Justin Kier (George Mason).  I believe the only one we've been mentioned with is Darius Perry, but that ship may have sailed with Carton. 

Traditional trasnfer wise - beyond Carey, someone like Wake Forest guard Chaundee Brown could make some sense.  Looks like he'd be a sit 1, play 1.  Just announced his transfer yesterday.

There's also the JUCO we were in contact with, El Ellis Jr

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: April 16, 2020, 03:32:33 PM »
https://www.vivathematadors.com/2020/4/16/21223909/breaking-russel-tchewa-enters-his-name-into-transfer-portal-ncaatransfer-texastech

Future plans at C once Theo leaves, unless Garcia, and Lewis take over the role full time.  Seems pretty raw, but you can't teach being 7'-0", and sitting out a year would probably do his development some good.  We would still have an opening even if Mane comes, so you could do worse than an athletic project center.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: April 16, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
https://www.vivathematadors.com/2020/4/16/21223909/breaking-russel-tchewa-enters-his-name-into-transfer-portal-ncaatransfer-texastech

Future plans at C once Theo leaves, unless Garcia, and Lewis take over the role full time.  Seems pretty raw, but you can't teach being 7'-0", and sitting out a year would probably do his development some good.  We would still have an opening even if Mane comes, so you could do worse than an athletic project center.

Beard-trimming.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1814 on: April 16, 2020, 03:36:52 PM »

There's also the JUCO we were in contact with, El Ellis Jr

HE was a 20-21, no? 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1815 on: April 16, 2020, 03:40:24 PM »
Beard-trimming.

Lol, that article said TTU roster was over by 3 scholarships before that transfer.  Some people here would be losing their mind if Wojo did that. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: April 16, 2020, 03:47:48 PM »

That's a big boy. Can't hurt, right?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: April 16, 2020, 04:27:06 PM »
Of course I want the potential to have a really special season, we all do.  No one wants to "settle".
 But to say we NEED Mane is just par-for-the-course for you.  You're setting yourself up for a letdown ala Justin Turner.  We could get Mane and it would be fantastic, but don't get irrational and say it's a NECESSITY and a FAILURE if we don't get him.  Yesterday was huge, let's celebrate that for 2 minutes.

I implore you to show me where I said it would be a failure to not get him. You can't, because I NEVER said that, but thanks for lying. Having a chance at a special season includes getting/needing Mane. That was the whole jist of my saying "need" Mane yet. Carton was a HUGE pull. The out look for next year(assuming he's eligible) changed dramatically, with just Carton. But in order for the season to be special(like i would like to see it be), they NEED Mane. Am I clear??
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: April 16, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »
Lol, that article said TTU roster was over by 3 scholarships before that transfer.  Some people here would be losing their mind if Wojo did that.
Some people would also be losing their mind (in a good way) if Wojo got us to the national title game. What’s that got to do with the price of tea in China?
No Finish Line

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: April 16, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
Cream oversigned.   The scoop world kept turning.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: April 16, 2020, 08:11:38 PM »
https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/status/1250508816912920579

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
There are 788 kids in the NCAA Transfer Portal as of today, a D-1 coach tells me.

Seven hundred eighty-eight.

Not sure if people saw this tweet from yesterday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1821 on: April 16, 2020, 09:13:18 PM »

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria
There are 788 kids in the NCAA Transfer Portal as of today, a D-1 coach tells me.

I saw it and shrugged. I don't get why this is an issue. So players are looking for better situations. Seems like a good thing. Hope they all find situations that make them happy, or at least happier than they were.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: April 16, 2020, 09:19:28 PM »

Adam Zagoria
@AdamZagoria

Adam can spell numbers? Who knew?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1823 on: April 16, 2020, 10:02:28 PM »
Kentucky taking a page out of the Herman Cain recruiting playbook. They're taking on Jacob Toppin as a traditional transfer after a very unspectacular (not bad just not that inspiring) year at Rhode Island. Hoping the bloodlines will turn into results.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: April 16, 2020, 11:45:22 PM »
Kentucky taking a page out of the Herman Cain recruiting playbook. They're taking on Jacob Toppin as a traditional transfer after a very unspectacular (not bad just not that inspiring) year at Rhode Island. Hoping the bloodlines will turn into results.

They need some bodies right now to fill out the bench, he will be one of them.  Cal is really into rebuilding next year, top 6 gone, wow, but I bet he will get them into
the tourny as usual.  If MU gets Mane, then it will be interesting to see how both programs do.  MU will have some depth with experience, but the coaching, we will
see.  Both programs will have many new starters!  MU could have 4, but probably 3.