[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474783 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1775 on: April 16, 2020, 06:48:59 AM »
Is that common practice?  How does that work, is it a login and password that is shared by coach to media member?
Member institutions are not supposed to share the information with the media, but they do.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1776 on: April 16, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
Just browsed the Gopher board

And they are just as baffled by the interest in the UNLV kid as we are.

Also all are praying they dont get him.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1777 on: April 16, 2020, 09:21:51 AM »
Just browsed the Gopher board

And they are just as baffled by the interest in the UNLV kid as we are.

Also all are praying they dont get him.

I'm trying to figure it out (assuming Jonah Antonio), maybe it's just that they see him as someone who can take up minutes and doesn't really hurt you. He has decent efficiency, can hit the outside shot (his reputation as a shooter is much better than his actual production though) and doesn't turn it over. He's a very average defender based on Synergy numbers.

If you just need someone to get to a spot and shoot jumpers while holding his own on defense, he can be that guy. My biggest worry is that at MSM, he was a good spot up shooter and great coming off screens and making cuts. Defensively, he was very good. At UNLV, he was a decent spot up shooter and still good but clearly not as good at the things he really excelled at on offense while his defense went from very good to average. This is all easily explained by the step up from the NEC to the Mountain West, but that leads me to believe another step down would be in order from the MWC to the Big East. Though if he's comfortable being a 10-15 mpg guy off the bench at multiple positions, I guess that's okay. Not everyone can be the star.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1778 on: April 16, 2020, 09:49:25 AM »
With the assumption that we can get Carton eligible for next season, I'd be fine taking a flyer on a guy like Antonio.  He doesn't get me excited or anything, but hitting home runs with the final 2 spots are much less important when the previous batter hit a grand slam. 

Still would prefer guys with more upside, but I won't complain if a guy like Antonio or Gabe Watson is brought in with one of the two remaining openings. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1779 on: April 16, 2020, 09:50:47 AM »
I'm trying to figure it out (assuming Jonah Antonio), maybe it's just that they see him as someone who can take up minutes and doesn't really hurt you. He has decent efficiency, can hit the outside shot (his reputation as a shooter is much better than his actual production though) and doesn't turn it over. He's a very average defender based on Synergy numbers.

If you just need someone to get to a spot and shoot jumpers while holding his own on defense, he can be that guy. My biggest worry is that at MSM, he was a good spot up shooter and great coming off screens and making cuts. Defensively, he was very good. At UNLV, he was a decent spot up shooter and still good but clearly not as good at the things he really excelled at on offense while his defense went from very good to average. This is all easily explained by the step up from the NEC to the Mountain West, but that leads me to believe another step down would be in order from the MWC to the Big East. Though if he's comfortable being a 10-15 mpg guy off the bench at multiple positions, I guess that's okay. Not everyone can be the star.

Yeah thats the guy.

But wasnt he like a 32% shooter last year and even worse FG% overall?

Obviously could just be a bad year but I think it was pretty high volume and he was allergic to the line.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1780 on: April 16, 2020, 10:52:19 AM »
Meh, i guess ive just had my fill of guys that come in from the MWC and are completely overmatched
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1781 on: April 16, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »
https://twitter.com/DavidDejulius/status/1250816064411316225

Not overly surprising, DeJulius to Cinci

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #1782 on: April 16, 2020, 11:25:18 AM »
If Carton is eligible, I could live with the current 11 players.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1783 on: April 16, 2020, 11:29:33 AM »
https://twitter.com/DavidDejulius/status/1250816064411316225

Not overly surprising, DeJulius to Cinci

I am starting to think that the events of Burton and DeJulius had to do a lot with Carton and Wojo "cooling" on them. Turner, not sure. I genuinely think he didn't feel comfortable tranferring to an unknown.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1784 on: April 16, 2020, 11:33:01 AM »
If Carton is eligible, I could live with the current 11 players.

Need Mane yet, then the roster is set..either hold the last scholly, or give it to a depth piece. But if they get Mane too...HOLY SH*T.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1785 on: April 16, 2020, 11:36:01 AM »
Need Mane yet, then the roster is set..either hold the last scholly, or give it to a depth piece. But if they get Mane too...HOLY SH*T.

They don't need Mane. Getting one of Turner, Carton or Mane was the big missing piece to build the season around. Getting 2/3 is a "holy sh*t" moment, as you say. Throw in a grad transfer big, and we've basically hit my entire dream wishlist for the offseason.

Assuming Carton eligibility and the incoming class, I am pretty amped about the season.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1786 on: April 16, 2020, 11:47:27 AM »
I am starting to think that the events of Burton and DeJulius had to do a lot with Carton and Wojo "cooling" on them. Turner, not sure. I genuinely think he didn't feel comfortable tranferring to an unknown.

Not sure about Burton, but I feel that way about DeJulius.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1787 on: April 16, 2020, 11:48:30 AM »
I'm fine with getting Antonio for spot minutes now that we have Carton in the fold. I'd still prefer a big but if the staff wants to play small ball with Garcia, Oso or Lewis at the 5 when Theo is out then that's fine. My only concern would be if Theo got injured.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1788 on: April 16, 2020, 11:54:49 AM »
They don't need Mane. Getting one of Turner, Carton or Mane was the big missing piece to build the season around. Getting 2/3 is a "holy sh*t" moment, as you say. Throw in a grad transfer big, and we've basically hit my entire dream wishlist for the offseason.

Assuming Carton eligibility and the incoming class, I am pretty amped about the season.

They NEED Mane if you believe as I do that with him...they could go from being on the NIT bubble(at the start of the offseason), to having a good shot at the tournament(adding Carton), to having a really REALLY special type of year by adding Mane as well. Why stop now?? Tons of momentum..finish it!

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

onepost

• All American
« Reply #1789 on: April 16, 2020, 12:01:46 PM »
They NEED Mane if you believe as I do that with him...they could go from being on the NIT bubble(at the start of the offseason), to having a good shot at the tournament(adding Carton), to having a really REALLY special type of year by adding Mane as well. Why stop now?? Tons of momentum..finish it!

You knew this was coming.......

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #1790 on: April 16, 2020, 12:03:38 PM »

You are the most predictable human to ever live

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1791 on: April 16, 2020, 12:15:38 PM »
You knew this was coming.......

So, you'd rather not have the potential to have a really special season, and are fine "settling" for whatever this season brings?? Getting Carton was huge, and I have said as much...I'm giddy as hell. That being said, there is still a chance for more...why not take it, if it's there?? Also...they would be better with Carton and Mane as opposed to just with Carton...no denying that.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1792 on: April 16, 2020, 12:33:54 PM »
So, you'd rather not have the potential to have a really special season, and are fine "settling" for whatever this season brings?? Getting Carton was huge, and I have said as much...I'm giddy as hell. That being said, there is still a chance for more...why not take it, if it's there?? Also...they would be better with Carton and Mane as opposed to just with Carton...no denying that.

We all want Mane. We all know he'd make the team better. We have no impact on whether Mane ends up here.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1793 on: April 16, 2020, 12:39:52 PM »

Want and need are very different things. As it stands, with an eligible Carton, I believe this is a tourney team. That isn't settling, that is being very excited about this specific team and roster. That is not to say that it isn't fun to look at the potential of adding another player of Mane' caliber.

We all want Mane to matriculate here. Dawson, Carton and Mane would be ridiculous on the court together. Sure, with Mane the potential is through the roof. But let's not confuse that with "it is a failure of a season if he doesn't come here" (which represents the concept of need, rather than want).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:55:52 PM by JakeBarnes »

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1794 on: April 16, 2020, 12:50:07 PM »

Meh.  Unless Carton said he's only coming to MU if he's the only PG they're bringing in this offseason, not sure why Wojo would "cool" on Burton and DeJulius.  Obviously we got the best of the three, but if Carton gets his waiver as expected and plays next year, I am sure in his mind he's planning to play for 1 year and then going to the NBA.  Or gasp!, his waiver gets denied and he goes pro immediately and never plays for Marquette, either scenario, Marquette could use Burton and/or DeJulius.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1795 on: April 16, 2020, 12:53:23 PM »

Never satisfied. 

I want Mane - would love to get him.  But he's rated in the mid 50's - lower that where Symir was in the same class before reclassifying.  Mane could well be a dude next season - he could also put up a season similar to what Symir did as a freshman.

Carton is the prize. Definitely hope we can get Mane, but I don't think it moves the needle THAT much more assuming Carton gets a waiver. 

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #1796 on: April 16, 2020, 01:00:25 PM »
With the assumption that we can get Carton eligible for next season, I'd be fine taking a flyer on a guy like Antonio.  He doesn't get me excited or anything, but hitting home runs with the final 2 spots are much less important when the previous batter hit a grand slam. 

Still would prefer guys with more upside, but I won't complain if a guy like Antonio or Gabe Watson is brought in with one of the two remaining openings.

The class is pretty stacked now. A lot of 3* guys might be scared of committing, so if Antonio is a good team guy, that would be a good addition.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1797 on: April 16, 2020, 01:16:39 PM »
The class is pretty stacked now. A lot of 3* guys might be scared of committing, so if Antonio is a good team guy, that would be a good addition.

Outside of Mane, and perhaps a 2021 player reclassifying, I agree that the last two spots are unlikely to go to additional freshman.  Totally fine finding a team first role-playing grad transfer type, and then using the last spot on a traditional sit-out transfer to balance the classes.     

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #1798 on: April 16, 2020, 01:21:08 PM »
So now that we got Carton, who have we’ve been mentioned with.

Incoming Freshman: Mane
Transfers: Jonah Antonio

These are the ones off the top of my head without digging deep into all the nonsense can someone help fill in the other options for final 2 spots.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1799 on: April 16, 2020, 01:25:11 PM »
Never satisfied. 

I want Mane - would love to get him.  But he's rated in the mid 50's - lower that where Symir was in the same class before reclassifying.  Mane could well be a dude next season - he could also put up a season similar to what Symir did as a freshman.

Carton is the prize. Definitely hope we can get Mane, but I don't think it moves the needle THAT much more assuming Carton gets a waiver.

I would love to get Mane. However, getting him makes me think it will raise next year's expectations so high that it is unlikely posters will be happy at the end of season.

feedback