'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[Today at 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 475123 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1725 on: April 15, 2020, 01:21:18 PM »
Lol. Please stop discussing transfers on a thread about transfers?  Classic. Maybe you should stop reading this board if can't handle basic on-topic discussion, and need to resort to name calling. 

Based on the NCAA's historical precedent on waivers, Carton is as close to slam dunk waiver as you can find.  Its also been reported that Carton won't even go to college if he can't get a waiver.  So its probably safe to assume he wants one.  No I don't know for certain - but neither do you.  And if Carton came to Marquette, and wanted to take a his redshirt year (or was unable to get a waiver for whatever reason), I certainly wouldn't fault Carton himself.  But it doesn't exactly take a ton of mindnumbing analysis to come to the conclusion that Marquette would be vastly better next season with Carton playing basketball games.

So no, you stop.   
I think this is wishful thinking, Carton played 20 game before taking a leave.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1726 on: April 15, 2020, 01:33:04 PM »
I think this is wishful thinking, Carton played 20 game before taking a leave.

Not a waiver to get an extra year of eligibility back.  A waiver to not have to redshirt a year. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: April 15, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
It's a lot of schools, but a vast majority of them can be eliminated IMO because of not having any scholarships available or getting other players at his position, not too mention a vast majority of them being a long ways from home(assuming he wants to be closer to home)
Were you thinking TTU, Oregon, Arkansas, Alabama, Seton Hall, Auburn? If so, then I agree

TTU:
- landed burton the other day, PG
- returning PG David Moretti
- 5* Nimari Burnett coming in considered a CG on 247

Oregon:
- Amari Hardy transferred in, immediately eligible from UNLV, averaged 14.5
- Addison Patterson and Will Richardson returning both Guards
- 4* Jalen Terry coming in, both him and hardy are from michigan

Arkansas:
- has 2 4* PGs coming in
- Jalen Tate transfer guard from NKU

Alabama:
- has former 5* Jahvon Quinerly returning this year after sitting out one year after transferring from villanova
- 4* Josh Primo from Canada coming in
- PG Kira Lewis Jr entering the draft
- Jaden Shackleford returning
- John Petty Jr entered draft, but maintaining eligibility

Seton Hall
- Bryce Aiken transfer from Harvard, immediately eligible
- Shavar Reynolds returning
- G/F Jared Rhoden returning

Auburn:
- 5* Sharife Cooper coming in
- Devan Cambridge returning
- Still in the mix for 5* Jalen Green (most likely to go the pro route)
- Jamal johnson and Allen Flanigan returning

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: April 15, 2020, 01:58:34 PM »
You could find a reason for every transfer/recruit ever to rule out every school out there.  The reality is very few people know what a kid is going to do or why he's going to do it.  Every fanbase these kids are involved in thinks it makes no sense for that kid to go to whatever other school is on his list.  Kids make their decisions for a number of different reasons.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: April 15, 2020, 02:11:06 PM »
Well...Carton..

“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: April 15, 2020, 02:32:57 PM »
FWIW, would be a nice week for Cincy fans

Ivanauskas & DeJulius improves them from 66 to 47

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: April 15, 2020, 02:34:36 PM »
Well...Carton..

Holy crap! Are we going to war!?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1732 on: April 15, 2020, 02:39:37 PM »
FWIW, would be a nice week for Cincy fans

Ivanauskas & DeJulius improves them from 66 to 47

And here sits MU with 3 open scholarships

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #1733 on: April 15, 2020, 02:45:23 PM »
Well...Carton..

To put the picture into context... It was taken by Marlon Stewart who went to HS in Iowa about 15 mins from Bettendorf.
Marlon Stewart was a senior for North Dakota this past season so he is the one preparing for the draft. I assume DJ is just working out with him.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: April 15, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »
To put the picture into context... It was taken by Marlon Stewart who went to HS in Iowa about 15 mins from Bettendorf.
Marlon Stewart was a senior for North Dakota this past season so he is the one preparing for the draft. I assume DJ is just working out with him.

Maybe, but it's also possible DJ plans to go pro. Would not shock me in the least.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1735 on: April 15, 2020, 02:58:18 PM »
I’d guess he gawne but why in the heck is killings following a kid on the socials that’s jumping to the NBA?

Then again wojo added Turner the day before or day of his announcement to go back to BGU so maybe these kids really aren’t calling the coaches to tell them of their decision...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1736 on: April 15, 2020, 02:59:14 PM »
Don't really understand why Carton would publicize that he's made his decision and then just sit on it. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1737 on: April 15, 2020, 03:01:57 PM »
Don't really understand why Carton would publicize that he's made his decision and then just sit on it.

Because he feels like it?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1738 on: April 15, 2020, 03:07:54 PM »
Because he feels like it?

I guess.  I mean he certainly can do whatever he'd like.  Just kind of strange to say you've made a decision (and probably have a crap ton of people asking you about it) and then just crickets for 24 hours.  But yah...the way most high level CBB recruiting plays out, whether HS or transfer, is kind of silly.  Being a college basketball coach and dealing with this crap daily would be infuriating. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1739 on: April 15, 2020, 03:09:22 PM »

Because Tipton Edits has to make the announcement video. Obviously.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1740 on: April 15, 2020, 03:09:44 PM »

How could I forget!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1741 on: April 15, 2020, 03:12:36 PM »

This makes the most logical sense. Any NBA scout watching Carton this year would say "go back to school and work on the jumper to make it more consistent, cut down turnovers, show you are good in traffic." There isn't really a draft path for him this year. A year of showcasing would do him good.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1742 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:05 PM »

You joke but this may be the case. Could be hrs not ready to go public but wants coaches to stop calling. Could be decision is made but some Is need to be crossed and Ts dotted before it's official. Could be he likes trolling message board fans. I gave up trying to make sense of social media a long time ago
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1743 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:14 PM »
Attention.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: April 15, 2020, 03:13:37 PM »
You joke but this may be the case. Could be hrs not ready to go public but wants coaches to stop calling. Could be decision is made but some Is need to be crossed and Ts dotted before it's official. Could be he likes trolling message board fans. I gave up trying to make sense of social media a long time ago

Oh, I totally wasn't joking. That seems to be the reality nowadays.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: April 15, 2020, 03:30:54 PM »
A couple stories on CBB transfers today in the New Haven Register.  I could not add the link for some reason either?  I thought the take from a smaller D-I school coach was interesting.

1)
SHU coach Latina sees ‘nuanced answers’ to the transfer question
JEFF JACOBS

jeff.jacobs@hearstmediact.com; @jeffjacobs123

he Sacred Heart basketball program has been hit and hit hard by transfers in recent years. With E.J. Anosike, one of the nation’s top graduate-transfers, leaving for Tennessee and with four transfers in all, this spring is no exception.

Anthony Latina says people approach him expecting he’ll rail against the entire process. He does not.

“For some kids, transferring is a blessing,” the Pioneers coach said. “For other kids, it’s the worst decision they’re ever going to make. As coaches and adults who guide these young men — and they are young men — we’ve got to educate them that one size does not fit all. Leaving is not automatically the best answer. Staying is not automatically the best answer.

“People expect me to say transferring is terrible, because we’ve been so hurt by it. But there are nuanced answers to a general question.”

Latina points to Quincy McKnight as making the right move transferring to Seton Hall in 2017.

“He obviously was terrific for us,” Latina said. “But he needed a change of scenery. He becomes an All-Big East player on a Top 15 team in the country. He graduates. It was a beneficial move in a lot of ways.

“The problem is people will look at him and say, ‘I’m going to be like Quincy McKnight.’ One, there’s an awfully good chance you’re not as good as Quincy. Two, he went into a perfect situation for him. Three, it was time for him to make a move. He knew it. I knew it. Sacred Heart was not the fit for him at that time for several reasons.”

Beyond McKnight, Latina lost Cane Broome to Cincinnati in 2016. Had they stayed four years, both would have been among the best players in NEC history. Still, Latina was able to set a program record for wins this past season with a team that he said was significantly better than either Broome or McKnight played on.

So what happened?

Anosike, who averaged 15.7 points and 11.6 rebounds a game, transferred. So did Cameron Parker, who set an NCAA single-game record with 24 assists against Division III Pine Manor. Parker will announce Saturday where he’s going from among Portland State, FIU, Hawaii, Akron and Montana. Portland State is considered the front-runner. With Myles Cephas and Chaylyn Martin also transferring and Kinnon LaRose and Jare’l Spellman completing their senior years, Latina must replace half his roster.

“My thinking is (Anosike’s departure) could set us back a season,” Latina said. “We’ll get other guys. The issue is are transfers making the right decision?”

In 2017, 689 players transferred in Division I. In 2018, it was 704, including 34 percent graduate transfers. In 2019, it was 694, including 32 percent graduate transfers. The numbers will end up being enormous again this year. Also hanging out there is the NCAA Division I Council vote, postponed at least until May because of COVID-19, to allow a one-time transfer without having to sit out a year.

Connecticut, in the meantime, has been a mother lode of top graduate transfers (who can play immediately) with Quinnipiac’s Kevin Marfo going to Texas A&M and Rich Kelly to Boston College, UConn’s Alterique Gilbert to Wichita State and Yale’s Jordan Bruner to Alabama. The age of building programs has given way to the age of rebuilding teams.

“The reality is 25-30 years ago the student-athletes had very little control of their situation,” Latina said. “Now they have control. I think that’s a good thing, but the unintended consequence is a lot of decisions are made that hurt these kids long-term. not turn out to be Quincy McKnight.

“Getting a degree is far more valuable long-term than where you play basketball,” Latina said. “Certainly at Sacred Heart, but even the highest level. I have zero problem with players taking advantage of their image and likeness. Great. God bless them. But for 99 percent the degree is the lottery ticket. Maybe 1 percent is going to make life-changing money as a basketball player.

“How many people can get a job without a degree?

“The transfer portal is not a bad thing in itself. It gives the student-athlete the ability to not have to jump through hoops to get a release. It gives the student-athlete a say in exactly what’s going to happen with them. But a lot of times they are not getting enough guidance and thinking it through quite enough and they are making decisions that aren’t really in their best interest — certainly not long-term.”

In other words, Latina said, there’s a very high likelihood that most will Very few. People throw Bill Gates at me. So you’re going to be Bill Gates? That’s your plan? With a degree, you have something that no one can take away from you that you can utilize to sell yourself. That’s got to be our focus. That needs to be addressed more often. Unfortunately, it falls on deaf ears and kids are left in no better situation than when they got to your university. It will have a lifetime of negative effects. That’s the biggest tragedy.”

So does transferring increase or decrease your chances of getting a degree?

“This is one of my fears with the eligible immediately rule,” Latina said. “People see the sit-out year as punitive. I disagree. It doesn’t assure it, but it gives those players a better chance to get a degree. The reality of the matter is once their eligibility is done, so many are not going back to school. When you transfer, often not all your credits transfer. Now you’re not on schedule to graduate and some schools don’t have the ability to pay for an extra year.

“All that increases the likelihood that especially at-risk kids don’t get a degree. At some places it can almost eliminate those chances. I don’t think that point is brought up nearly enough.”

A favorite argument of the media — I’ve used it — is that coaches making millions can move anytime they want, and college athletes cannot. It has the scent of hypocrisy.

“I don’t want anyone to feel sorry for coaches,” said Latina, who said he made less than $20,000 a year in his first six years as a full-time college assistant. “I’m just saying that as far as graduating young people, that part of the argument is apples and oranges.

“Some of this also is the instant-gratification world we live in. ‘Things aren’t going well for me. I’m just going to leave.’ There are times in your life that your job, your marriage, it’s not going to go the way you want. It’s not always ‘I need a change of scenery.’ Sometimes it’s ‘What’s my role in making it better?’ ”

Latina was surprised — not shocked — by Anosike’s decision to leave. Parker’s departure, probably hastened by Aaron Clarke’s ascension as point guard while Parker was injured, was not a surprise.

“E.J. is a special kid,” Latina said. “He got his degree in three years. We’d be naive if we didn’t think about it, because he’s such a good player. We knew there was a market for him. We had hopes. It’s something he felt he needed to do. We encouraged him to explore what he needed to explore. Our pitch to him was ‘You’ll probably be NEC preseason Player of the Year. You could lead the country in double-doubles, put yourself on NBA radar with dominating performances.’ ”

Latina pulled out a CBS Sports piece by Jon Roth-stein: 14 players who averaged in double figures at mid-major programs during the 2018-19 season used the graduate transfer rule to commit to high-major teams. None averaged in double figures last season. Of the 50 total transfers who moved up to a high major last season, Jeff Goodman of Stadium calculated two averaged more than 12 points and the 50 averaged 6.3 points.

“So do you maybe average 6-8 points at one of the power conferences?” Latina said. “Or do you average 18 and 12 next year and be conference Player of the Year? That’s a good conversation to have.”

Latina wasn’t finished. He pulled up a Seth Greenberg tweet: Between 2013 and 2019, 334 college basketball players were drafted by the NBA. Only 19 were transfers.

“And of those 19, how many transferred up to a high major?” Latina said. “I don’t know. Not many. Steph Curry. Damian Lil-lard. CJ McCollum … there’s a lot more guys drafted out of one-bid leagues. Even though the statistics are clear, the temptation to play at the highest level in college apparently is too great for most kids.

“But if it’s about playing professional, it’s pretty clear.”

2)
MEN’S COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Transfer portal causing plenty of coaches headaches
SSOCIATED PRESS

WICHITA, Kan. — Gregg Marshall began his career as an assistant at tiny Randolph-Macon and Belmont Abbey, but it was during eight years on the staff of Hall of Fame coach John Kresse at College of Charleston that he learned to build a basketball program.

Marshall learned how to recruit players who fit his style. He learned how to find overlooked gems, guys who were still growing or had yet to discover their shot. He learned how to sit in their living rooms and convince moms and dads that their sons would get a good education and in four years be prepared for the real world.

Many of those lessons have helped Marshall become Wichita State’s winningest coach. But many have lost their value, and the reason is simple: The NCAA transfer portal has forced coaches to build teams rather than programs.

The system was implemented two years ago, intended to help ease the burden on administrators, increase transparency and empower athletes who complained about being prevented at times from going elsewhere. But in the eyes of many coaches, the portal has made transferring too easy, giving players an easy out for any reason: amount of playing time, location, level of competition, even something as silly as school colors.

“It’s created a system in which, when problems arise, (players) are not going to fight through the problems and adversity,“ Marshall said. “You’re going to make a move. It’s going to be easy to do. That’s the problem I see with it.”

The Shockers went 23-8 and spent much of last season hanging around the Top 25, and they were likely to receive an at-large bid to the NCAA Tournament had it not been canceled. Fast forward a few weeks and Marshall is wondering how he might need to replace seven players who placed their names in the transfer portal.

They run the gamut from high-scoring guard Erik Stevenson, who has committed to Washington, and talented freshman Grant Sherfield, who is headed to Nevada, to role players that hardly saw the floor. But together, they left Marshall with a roster full of holes that he must plug even while the coronavirus pandemic has put the brakes on recruiting.

So much for those lessons he picked up from Kresse back in Charleston.

More than 500 names have been entered into the portal in the month since the season ended, and new names are added by the day. Some come from big-name programs in search of a fresh start, others from small schools with something to prove. Many are graduate transfers who can play immediately, though most will have to sit out a year under NCAA transfer rules.

“You have to respect each young guy’s decision because that’s the culture we live in today,” Missouri coach Cuonzo Martin said. “You have guys leaving teams. That’s just the way it is. But when you’re talking about freshmen, they have to have the opportunity to play from Day 1 or you’ll be looking at a lot of this.”

No brand of school is unaffected, either.

Johnny Juzang and Kahlil Whitney jumped into the portal after their freshman seasons at Kentucky, and Alex O’Connell made the move after his junior year at Duke, creating holes for the bluest of blue bloods. Some Power Five programs such as Iowa State, with five players in the transfer portal, have begun to resemble a bus stop with players coming and going.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1746 on: April 15, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
The idea that WSU having seven transfers just being the "portal" as the problem and absolving Marshall of blame himself is ridiculous. That doesn't happen unless there's a bigger, systemic problem.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: April 15, 2020, 04:11:53 PM »
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/high-school/recruiting/2020/04/15/recruiting-mailbag-iowa-states-transfer-pursuit-cordell-pemsl-dj-carton-drew-buggs-darius-perry/2988554001/

Any updates on DJ Carton? — @TSeghetti11
There's not much coming from D.J. Carton or his camp right now, and I'm hearing that's by design. The chatter that does exist suggests things will be mostly kept under wraps until there's a decision made.

So, I'm not sure I'd expect a top five or a top four or whatever. The next we hear about Carton could very well be when he commits to a new school.

Iowa State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Marquette, Memphis and Creighton are among the schools that have been involved

At this point nothing would surprise me, but we're the only overlap between this list and the list Carton posted.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1748 on: April 15, 2020, 04:41:06 PM »

He may be training for the draft to go through the process but keeping his options open to return to college. I wouldn't read too much into that photo (why are you on a college kid's social media page anyway).
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1749 on: April 15, 2020, 04:42:16 PM »
Lol. Please stop discussing transfers on a thread about transfers?  Classic. Maybe you should stop reading this board if can't handle basic on-topic discussion, and need to resort to name calling. 

Based on the NCAA's historical precedent on waivers, Carton is as close to slam dunk waiver as you can find. Its also been reported that Carton won't even go to college if he can't get a waiver.  So its probably safe to assume he wants one.  No I don't know for certain - but neither do you.  And if Carton came to Marquette, and wanted to take a his redshirt year (or was unable to get a waiver for whatever reason), I certainly wouldn't fault Carton himself.  But it doesn't exactly take a ton of mindnumbing analysis to come to the conclusion that Marquette would be vastly better next season with Carton playing basketball games.

So no, you stop.   

you know this how?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

feedback