[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474791 times)

lawdog77

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1550 on: April 13, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »
i laughed at that one. guessing because Southern Miss was 9-22 and ranked 257 last year and he was their 3rd most valuable player
If he's that bad, he wont get playing time over the current players, so how can our ranking go down?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1551 on: April 13, 2020, 08:54:45 PM »
Or maybe he wasn’t comfortable changing schools and basketball programs when he can’t visit any of the schools he’s looking at, the only contact he can have with the people he’d be spending his senior year with is through technology, and he might not want to switch schools when there’s a chance he may not even get to play basketball or attend classes in person next year?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1552 on: April 13, 2020, 09:04:10 PM »
If he's that bad, he wont get playing time over the current players, so how can our ranking go down?

Do you want me to call Bart Torvik or something?
http://www.barttorvik.com/transfercast.php?team=Marquette&run=1&player=Gabe+Watson%3BSouthern+Miss

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1553 on: April 13, 2020, 09:21:10 PM »
T-Rank:
Ohio State transfer DJ Carton improves MU from #77 to #53

Michigan transfer David DeJulius improves MU from #77 to #67

UNLV transfer Jonah Antonio added keeps MU at #77

Southern Miss Gabe Watson drops MU from #77 to #84

Matt Haarms launches us to #48.

Are we involved at all?

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #1554 on: April 13, 2020, 09:23:50 PM »
Never mind, we’re not.

How did UNC Greensboro make his final 10?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1555 on: April 13, 2020, 09:42:19 PM »
We do deserve it. But we need to create our fortune. Balanced roster can’t be this difficult. We have guards, but no wings/bigs. We have the bigs/wings, no guards. However, Carton is the ticket, and it’s still possible. Mane would be the ticket. It’s still possible. Think big!! No poor us! And, Don’t get down on a kid from a mid-major staying put. Probably not the difference maker everyone hoped for. The sun will shine blue, champion blue and gold soon!
What? Garcia, OSO, Lewis, BB
Goal is National Championship

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1556 on: April 13, 2020, 09:51:42 PM »
Not this year.

Just being realistic.

He was asking what MU was WITH Turner...with him they were a tournament team, now...barring a Carton commit, they aren't sniffing the tourney. Sad when you think about it COULD be Garcia's only year at MU too.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 10:04:14 PM by muguru »
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1557 on: April 13, 2020, 10:00:51 PM »
Matt Haarms launches us to #48.

Are we involved at all?
He looks like Kentucky all the way

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1558 on: April 13, 2020, 10:01:51 PM »
He was asking what MU was WITH Turner...with him they were a tournament team, now...barring a Carton commit, theyaren't sbiffing the tourney. Sad when you think about it COULD be Garcia's only year at MU too.
Mane

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1559 on: April 13, 2020, 10:05:04 PM »
Mane

That's simply not going to happen, that ship has pretty much sailed, people need to just accept that unfortunately. It sucks, but here we are.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

marquette20

• Starter
« Reply #1560 on: April 13, 2020, 10:30:04 PM »
There hasn't been a ton of chatter about Carton publicly, but someone just earlier today said that Carton will just play professionally if he can't get a waiver to play immediately.  So me thinks he wants one unless that info is bad (which is possible).

Here is the article that I had read this information in. My guess is Carton is going the wavier route if he chooses to stay in school. Ultimate goal will always be 1st round NBA pick for him. https://www.si.com/college/ohiostate/basketball/examining-ohio-states-hoops-transfers-case-by-case

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1561 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:25 PM »
I am not sure how he is going to get a waiver, if he actually left school. Is he even  academically eligible? Did he finish the first semester? Anybody know the answer to this?
If Carton is trying to use a medical waiver to play immediately the new, more restrictive NCAA rules implemented last June favor Iowa State’s distant to his home...

Additionally, the council approved new guidelines for staff to follow when considering transfer waivers in cases where a student-athlete transfers to be closer to their home or support system because of their own injury or illness.

In those cases, the school must provide contemporaneous medical documentation from the student-athlete’s treating professional showing the student-athlete is debilitated and was receiving treatment before the transfer; an explanation of the student-athlete’s need to transfer and treatment plan; and a statement from the previous school’s athletics director explaining why the student-athlete indicated he or she was transferring. The student also must be in good academic standing and meeting progress-toward-degree requirements at the new school. The transfer must occur in the academic year after diagnosis, and the new school must be within 100 miles of the student-athlete’s family or support system.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1562 on: April 13, 2020, 10:40:42 PM »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1563 on: April 13, 2020, 10:41:32 PM »
He was asking what MU was WITH Turner...with him they were a tournament team, now...barring a Carton commit, they aren't sniffing the tourney. Sad when you think about it COULD be Garcia's only year at MU too.

You keep saying this, and I'm really not very convinced that's anything to be worried about right now.  The highest I've seen Garcia anywhere for 2021 is late second round.

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/player/dawson-garcia/35239/

I know he hasn't played a minute of cbb yet and I'm sure he could always go to the G League after one year if he wants to but the 2021 draft is seen as much deeper and better than the 2020 class so I really don't see him going anywhere after next year (as of right now).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1564 on: April 13, 2020, 10:48:01 PM »
Maybe he just likes it there.

Yep.

Some Scoopers had a similar discussion when talking about kids leaving for the NBA even though they weren't projected as first-rounders -- or as draft picks at all. How it wasn't "logical" for them to leave.

Far too many people try to project what they think what they would do or what they believe it "makes sense" to do into the mind of an 18-22 year-old college student.

Maybe Turner preferred BG all along and wanted to see if anybody could "wow" him into leaving; when no school did, he just decided to stay where he loved playing. Maybe he is smart enough to realize that, if he is good enough, NBA scouts will find him no matter where he plays. Maybe he started thinking about the best friend he'd be leaving behind, or a favorite coach or a significant other. Maybe being happy and comfortable mattered more to him than going someplace he'd never even visited and trying to win a title he might never win. Maybe he didn't want to be treated the way many Scoopers have treated every transfer we've brought in over the last decade. Maybe he started thinking about Wojo's evil de-motivational tactics and backed out. Etc, etc, etc. Nobody here knows.

I know it's hard for some to believe, but maybe 20-year-olds look at what's important to them differently than a bunch of 50-something, 60-something or 70-something interwebs folks think the kid should hold important.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1565 on: April 13, 2020, 10:52:44 PM »
You keep saying this, and I'm really not very convinced that's anything to be worried about right now.  The highest I've seen Garcia anywhere for 2021 is late second round.

https://www.draftsite.com/nba/player/dawson-garcia/35239/

I know he hasn't played a minute of cbb yet and I'm sure he could always go to the G League after one year if he wants to but the 2021 draft is seen as much deeper and better than the 2020 class so I really don't see him going anywhere after next year (as of right now).

Let's be fair here though..we see kids every single year declare and stay in the draft when they have no business doing so..I'd love for Garcia to be at MU more than 1 year..but just when we think there's no way a kid will declare and stay in..they do, whether its a good decision or not.

You just never know what they are thinking, who's telling them things, do they really like school, do they just want to play and get paid..so many things go into it.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1566 on: April 13, 2020, 11:04:20 PM »
If Carton is trying to use a medical waiver to play immediately the new, more restrictive NCAA rules implemented last June favor Iowa State’s distant to his home...

Additionally, the council approved new guidelines for staff to follow when considering transfer waivers in cases where a student-athlete transfers to be closer to their home or support system because of their own injury or illness.

In those cases, the school must provide contemporaneous medical documentation from the student-athlete’s treating professional showing the student-athlete is debilitated and was receiving treatment before the transfer; an explanation of the student-athlete’s need to transfer and treatment plan; and a statement from the previous school’s athletics director explaining why the student-athlete indicated he or she was transferring. The student also must be in good academic standing and meeting progress-toward-degree requirements at the new school. The transfer must occur in the academic year after diagnosis, and the new school must be within 100 miles of the student-athlete’s family or support system.

Iowa State is only 23 miles closer to Bettendorf than Marquette.   Not sure they would have any advantage in getting a waiver.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1567 on: April 13, 2020, 11:09:48 PM »
Can we please, please, pretty please let Dawson Garcia play a game for Marquette before we start worrying about him not playing a second season for us? Please?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Doo

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1568 on: April 13, 2020, 11:11:29 PM »
Iowa State is only 23 miles closer to Bettendorf than Marquette.   Not sure they would have any advantage in getting a waiver.
You’re correct, I was thinking Iowa City, not Ames.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #1569 on: April 13, 2020, 11:55:45 PM »
I still will believe until I hear differently that for whatever reason he had a late last minute change of heart. This was one of the most baffling decisions I've seen.

Offers and conditions of that offer are two way streets.  Just because he chose to go back to BGSU doesn't mean he had other great options to choose from.  He would have been a grad transfer but I wouldn't be surprised if he heard a lot of you will need to win your spot.  We aren't going to guarantee a starting job for you.  Without getting to visit the school and play with the team, lots of doubts could arise.  Is he much better than Symir?  Being the best player on a bad team doesn't mean you would be able to replace the bench player on a good team.  With BGSU he knew what he was getting.

The fact that he went to none of the final schools on his list and returned tells me he wasn't going to get what he was hoping for at any of them.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #1570 on: April 14, 2020, 01:09:32 AM »
From the numbers I don't see how DeJulius is a consolation prize at all. It wouldn't be that hard to argue that DeJulius was a comparable or even better overall player this past season & is a better bet on a high major team next year.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1571 on: April 14, 2020, 05:58:30 AM »
From the numbers I don't see how DeJulius is a consolation prize at all. It wouldn't be that hard to argue that DeJulius was a comparable or even better overall player this past season & is a better bet on a high major team next year.

Better than Turner? No. The only advantage i can say DeJulius brings is an extra year..thats it  Turner would have  made MU a tournament team..DeJulius..even if able to play this year wont. Not a good enough scorer.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1572 on: April 14, 2020, 07:12:00 AM »
The one thing I hope Wojo does NOT do at this point is just give a scholarship to someone just to use one. The transfer market has been picked over and again, besides Carton, there isn't a difference making Guard left for next year. Depth pieces aren't going to take you where you need to be.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1573 on: April 14, 2020, 07:21:16 AM »
Let's be fair here though..we see kids every single year declare and stay in the draft when they have no business doing so..I'd love for Garcia to be at MU more than 1 year..but just when we think there's no way a kid will declare and stay in..they do, whether its a good decision or not.

You just never know what they are thinking, who's telling them things, do they really like school, do they just want to play and get paid..so many things go into it.

Well, we do know that if he was hell bent on receiving a pay check asap he'd have gone overseas or to the G league already. If he decided that he doesn't like college after one year, sure he could go, but you seem far more convinced that will be the case than anyone else here.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1574 on: April 14, 2020, 07:24:00 AM »
Do you want me to call Bart Torvik or something?
http://www.barttorvik.com/transfercast.php?team=Marquette&run=1&player=Gabe+Watson%3BSouthern+Miss
If you could, please do so. Is he assuming the usage rate would be the same? Otherwise it makes no sense to my simple mind.

feedback