[Today at 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474736 times)

Tha Hound

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1475 on: April 13, 2020, 02:55:25 PM »
Please Wojo, get Carton wrapped up before this..Not a huge needle mover, especially for next year.

Dejulius and Carton could easily co-exist, and I frankly would love to see that back court. That being said, we don't have any idea what Carton is thinking or if we are even in his final schools. Expecting a decision out of him within 2 days without even knowing that is only going to leave you disappointed.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1476 on: April 13, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »
Loss of Stan already being felt, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1477 on: April 13, 2020, 03:01:26 PM »
Loss of Stan already being felt, hey?

Wojo shouldn’t have let him take a head coaching job, aina
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1478 on: April 13, 2020, 03:01:59 PM »
Please Wojo, get Carton wrapped up before this..Not a huge needle mover, especially for next year.

DeJulius would improve MU from #78 to #68 on T-Rank.

Carton would improve MU from #78 to #53.

Not sure how to add two players but if I can figure it out I'll edit.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1479 on: April 13, 2020, 03:02:37 PM »
Eh...  It moved better but not always productively.  Both weren't very good.

Assist %:   Koby: 21.2, Symir: 25.5 
TO %:  Koby: 23.2, Symir: 31.1

The best PG Marquette had last year was Markus.  Lead the team in assist % at 26.2  and drove his TO% down to 12.6.
Which is pretty amazing, since he could not pass it to himself.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: April 13, 2020, 03:03:05 PM »
Man, why does crap like this always have to happen to MU?? Why??

1. The victim card does not suit you well, guru.

2. And it doesn't always happen to Marquette. We landed three talented recruits just a few months ago, including one you called a "program-changer." We landed the Hausers, and Markus, and Katin, and Ellenson, and so on and so on, all the way back to Wade, and before him, too. You're just feeling burned, so you're taking it personally.

3. I'm guessing plenty of Mizzou fans are bemoaning their fate, too. And they even have the coach many Scoopers wanted us to get.

4. Tomorrow's another day. We're still in the mix for at least two talented transfer guards.

5. I'm worried about your mental health.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1481 on: April 13, 2020, 03:04:51 PM »
At least the bunker is sanitized.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: April 13, 2020, 03:23:05 PM »
Another factor that may of hurt MU with Turner, was that we are still recruiting Carton and Mane. Either of these players could of taken playing time away from Turner. Without being able to visit and know who MU was going to have at guard next season could of made Turner very uncomfortable with picking MU.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #1483 on: April 13, 2020, 03:27:01 PM »
Don't be so certain that the NCAA grants immediate eligibility for next season. All indications it will be for the 21 -22 season. They won't decide in May. The last thing college coaches want is to have a wild west atmosphere through the end of May and June. They rather be working on next year's recruits. Not re-recruiting their players or chasing other players to fill holes of players that have left.

There is an academic component. No one knows what grades will look like with campuses closed. Some classes may turn to pass/fail. That impacts if credits get transferred. What about Summer classes? Will there be one, two or no sessions? Basketball players need these classes because they play across two semesters and hard to carry 5 courses and play D1 basketball.

Finally kids that are not grad transfers but are in the portal. Are they grandfathered in or still have to sit a year? Kids make choices in the roster. What if a transfer comes to a team with a stud at PG who happens to be a senior. He'll sit out a year then take over. Immediate eligibility kills that. The kid would then have to red shirt (even though he was prepared to sit a year already). Does he move on since previously he would sit a year regardless but now doesn't?

Way too many questions and issues for it to happen next year.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1484 on: April 13, 2020, 03:27:55 PM »
Don't be so certain that the NCAA grants immediate eligibility for next season. All indications it will be for the 21 -22 season. They won't decide in May. The last thing college coaches want is to have a wild west atmosphere through the end of May and June. They rather be working on next year's recruits. Not re-recruiting their players or chasing other players to fill holes of players that have left.

There is an academic component. No one knows what grades will look like with campuses closed. Some classes may turn to pass/fail. That impacts if credits get transferred. What about Summer classes? Will there be one, two or no sessions? Basketball players need these classes because they play across two semesters and hard to carry 5 courses and play D1 basketball.

Finally kids that are not grad transfers but are in the portal. Are they grandfathered in or still have to sit a year? Kids make choices in the roster. What if a transfer comes to a team with a stud at PG who happens to be a senior. He'll sit out a year then take over. Immediate eligibility kills that. The kid would then have to red shirt (even though he was prepared to sit a year already). Does he move on since previously he would sit a year regardless but now doesn't?

Way too many questions and issues for it to happen next year.

Carton is a natural waiver candidate regardless of the one-time immediate eligibility ruling.  I see little reason to expect that from Dejulius unless the ncaa institutes a blanket waiver. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #1485 on: April 13, 2020, 03:32:41 PM »
Carton is a natural waiver candidate regardless of the one-time immediate eligibility ruling.

That's if he wants one. He is dealing with a serious issue and may want a year to sort it out. It was serious enough he left Ohio State abruptly. A change of scenery may help but may not solve his issue. Lots of respect for how he is handling this and doesn't need people looking at him a some sort of season savior. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1486 on: April 13, 2020, 03:39:02 PM »
That's if he wants one. He is dealing with a serious issue and may want a year to sort it out. It was serious enough he left Ohio State abruptly. A change of scenery may help but may not solve his issue. Lots of respect for how he is handling this and doesn't need people looking at him a some sort of season savior.

There hasn't been a ton of chatter about Carton publicly, but someone just earlier today said that Carton will just play professionally if he can't get a waiver to play immediately.  So me thinks he wants one unless that info is bad (which is possible). 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1487 on: April 13, 2020, 03:39:26 PM »

This is well said.  He left social media because of fan abuse.  He needs to find a comfortable spot with realistic expectations

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #1488 on: April 13, 2020, 03:42:24 PM »
Season highs of 10 pts and 4 assists on a 3/1/1.5 average, yeesh.  I'm sure UWM, GB, or UIC/NIU would be happy to have him if he wants to play closer to home.  Doubt he'd be of interest to a P6 or A10/MVC/AAC level school

McCabe's shooting percentages were ridiculously awful this past season, too.  Huggy still started him a lot, even though he'd end up sub-10 minutes most nights.  Seemed like they were trying to get him to shoot his way out of his funk, and it just never happened.  Like you said, he's best suited for a Horizon-level school.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: April 13, 2020, 03:45:18 PM »
DeJulius would improve MU from #78 to #68 on T-Rank.

Carton would improve MU from #78 to #53.

Not sure how to add two players but if I can figure it out I'll edit.

https://twitter.com/totally_t_bomb/status/1242104783244328960?s=20

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #1490 on: April 13, 2020, 03:48:34 PM »
speaking of NCAA bids and games  won -- how many of each did Jack Nagle attain?

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1491 on: April 13, 2020, 03:50:07 PM »
Carton is a natural waiver candidate regardless of the one-time immediate eligibility ruling.  I see little reason to expect that from Dejulius unless the ncaa institutes a blanket waiver.

why?

In fact, every transfer is a candidate but it doesn't mean they meet the threshold to be granted a waiver.

He also needs to decide where he's going so that school can do the waiver. It isn't OSU's responsibility. He needs to show why the particular school he picked will solve his "issues" he had at OSU over any other school.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: April 13, 2020, 03:50:32 PM »
At least the bunker is sanitized.

Depends who was in it.

And if he was wearing Depends.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: April 13, 2020, 03:55:27 PM »
McCabe's shooting percentages were ridiculously awful this past season, too.  Huggy still started him a lot, even though he'd end up sub-10 minutes most nights.  Seemed like they were trying to get him to shoot his way out of his funk, and it just never happened.  Like you said, he's best suited for a Horizon-level school.

Agree. Not sure what the family’s financial situation is but could see him opting for one of those BS “preferred walkon” spots on the badgers or something.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: April 13, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »
1. The victim card does not suit you well, guru.

2. And it doesn't always happen to Marquette. We landed three talented recruits just a few months ago, including one you called a "program-changer." We landed the Hausers, and Markus, and Katin, and Ellenson, and so on and so on, all the way back to Wade, and before him, too. You're just feeling burned, so you're taking it personally.

3. I'm guessing plenty of Mizzou fans are bemoaning their fate, too. And they even have the coach many Scoopers wanted us to get.

4. Tomorrow's another day. We're still in the mix for at least two talented transfer guards.

5. I'm worried about your mental health.

I'm sure this response will be met with scorn, and snide remarks by many, and frankly that's okay, I get it. For me though, I always ask myself why""?? Why can't MU have just ONE season where everything comes together. What I mean is, a season where everything falls into place almost perfectly. A season in which they land all the top recruits they are after, the top transfers they are after(this doesn't mean necessarily the best one's on the market), a season where there are no late season fades, where one or two guys have break out years, where their are no injuries, where players don't transfer,  where they get a high seed and make at least the second weekend, where even if it's fluky, it's just "their year".

Now granted, I don't want the program to be like that continuously obviously, but right now after the past 6-7 years, I'd gladly take a season like that...just one time. And it never seems to materialize. Yeah, it's asking for a lot of things to go right, but it's happened to other programs(see, Wisconsin almost every year). It's just really demoralizing that they always seem to get "so close" on different things, and then come up empty, and it always seems to be things that could make a huge difference in an outlook for a season. Can't the basketball gods be nice to MU for ONE damn year?? We all deserve it.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: April 13, 2020, 04:11:53 PM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1496 on: April 13, 2020, 04:14:16 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1497 on: April 13, 2020, 04:18:45 PM »
why?

In fact, every transfer is a candidate but it doesn't mean they meet the threshold to be granted a waiver.

He also needs to decide where he's going so that school can do the waiver. It isn't OSU's responsibility. He needs to show why the particular school he picked will solve his "issues" he had at OSU over any other school.

Lol

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: April 13, 2020, 04:21:07 PM »
NO Burton, NO Turner. Boy, has our program really SUNK. Former
Wojo backer--Goodbye Wojo. Take the coaching staff with you.
Something in our program is wrong. Mid to Low Major D-1. Bled MU
colors since 1967. Carton and DeJulius? Must be our yearly finishes
have PT spots open and we still can't get recruits. Hope Mane comes.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1499 on: April 13, 2020, 04:22:43 PM »
NO Burton, NO Turner. Boy, has our program really SUNK. Former
Wojo backer--Goodbye Wojo. Take the coaching staff with you.
Something in our program is wrong. Mid to Low Major D-1. Bled MU
colors since 1967. Carton and DeJulius? Must be our yearly finishes
have PT spots open and we still can't get recruits. Hope Mane comes.

Yeah can’t believe how bad our class of 2020 class is. Minutes and touches available and not able to land a single quality recruit.

::)
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback