[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474868 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1450 on: April 13, 2020, 02:25:20 PM »
What a sh*t day.

I'm home with my wife. We took the dog for a long walk on a lovely Charlotte day. FaceTimed with our grand-twins, who are so effen cute (as well as healthy and happy). And I heard about 2 hours ago that the only person I know infected with COVID-19 is off the ventilator, out of the ICU and has a good prognosis.

I wish my favorite basketball team had been improved by an incoming transfer or two, especially after my hopes were raised by various Scoop reports, but it's been a pretty darn good day nonetheless.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1451 on: April 13, 2020, 02:25:28 PM »
So, I think the takeaway here is all the social media tracking is grasping at straws. At best.

Tis’
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1452 on: April 13, 2020, 02:26:34 PM »
I think people are sleeping on DeJulius.  He’s not the scorer Turner is but a guy that can distribute and run an offense would be nice.

They NEED at least one impact Guard for next year or they aren't sniffing the tournament IMO. DeJulius, though solid...that's all he is..not a huge impact guy the way Carton, Turner or Burton would have been
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1453 on: April 13, 2020, 02:26:47 PM »
Now that's how you troll a bunch of grown ass men.

Or how you get a ton of attention for your "search" and then not risk proving yourself on a big stage to continue scoring 20 PPG on mediocre opponents.

Turning down the chance to be the man on a potential tournament at a place like Marquette or Iowa St to return to a 150+ NET team that wont sniff a MAC title, much less a tournament berth.  Good luck to you man, on the ugliest college campus Ive had the misfortune of visiting.

Staying at BGSU is probably his best chance at playing in the NCAA tournament next season.

They will be lucky to finish 3rd in the MAC East.  Akron is Akron, has the best coach in the conference, and returns the conference POY.  Buffalo returns 3 of their 4 top scorers and has the best younger talent in the conference.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1454 on: April 13, 2020, 02:28:47 PM »
Turner's decision HAD to be a last minute change of heart..had to be. No way he went through all of that and then decided 3 days ago to stay at BG. Maybe not being able to make visits made him uncomfortable. I will say though, as much of a kick to the nuts as this is, I can respect his decision to stay somewhere he knows and is comfortable over picking like Missouri over MU. That one would have been absolutely BAFFLING to me.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

marqfan22

• Team Captain
« Reply #1455 on: April 13, 2020, 02:28:56 PM »
What a bizarre process!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1456 on: April 13, 2020, 02:31:15 PM »
Turner's decision HAD to be a last minute change of heart..had to be. No way he went through all of that and then decided 3 days ago to stay at BG. Maybe not being able to make visits made him uncomfortable. I will say though, as much of a kick to the nuts as this is, I can respect his decision to stay somewhere he knows and is comfortable over picking like Missouri over MU. That one would have been absolutely BAFFLING to me.

or he is a college kid who likes the attention.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1457 on: April 13, 2020, 02:31:49 PM »
They NEED at least one impact Guard for next year or they aren't sniffing the tournament IMO. DeJulius, though solid...that's all he is..not a huge impact guy the way Carton, Turner or Burton would have been

FWIW, they’re all roughly the same 3-point shooters and DeJulius was a more efficient player, albeit in a lesser roll but in a much tougher league.  Don’t sleep on a Beilein guard.

Turner or Burton would have been nice, DeJulius could be just as nice

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1458 on: April 13, 2020, 02:32:05 PM »
I think people are sleeping on DeJulius.  He’s not the scorer Turner is but a guy that can distribute and run an offense would be nice.
that’s always been my point...point guard, and Carton is the big prize.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1459 on: April 13, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »
I thought it was pretty lame that Turner had Bowling Green in his final four. With immediate eligibility on the horizon, this is something I would like to see not become a trend.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1460 on: April 13, 2020, 02:33:47 PM »
Here’s the thing-

I know it’s easier to say this in hindsight and it really sucks to lose out on Turner especially, but it’s not like MU is completely lacking back court players next season.

You read enough of these threads and you start to think that. Sure we are losing nearly 40ppg and we need to somehow fill that gap (which is why Turner woulda been great) but MU already has a very strong wealth of front court options- Bailey, Cain, Garcia, Oso, JLew, Theo. These guys will fill in some of that scoring void.

As for the backcourt, MU still has Symir (top 75 recruit), Koby, Greg, Dexter.
A wealth of unknowns there and the fans, as well as coaching staff, would like to add 1-2 guys but it’s not like the narrative that’s been created here where Marquette needs 3 stud guards still.

One stud PG/SG/Combo guard would suffice, and well as one additional player for depth. Seems like Wojo and Co are reaching out to a lot of different guys and Turner, one of the higher rated guys available, woulda been perfect fill in for one season but oh well.

Carton or Mane alone would be amazing, even though I don’t really have the confidence MU gets either at this point.
Imo DeJulius would be just ok, but good enough. I say that because looking at his game log he had one game where he went off for 20 points (last game of the season) otherwise he’s an under 5ppg player. He’s also small at 6’ and wojo has been trying to get bigger guards. I know he played at Michigan and had a better PG ahead of him I just don’t know that he’s much better than what we already have with Sy.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1461 on: April 13, 2020, 02:35:33 PM »
I thought it was pretty lame that Turner had Bowling Green in his final four. With immediate eligibility on the horizon, this is something I would like to see not become a trend.
He was a grad transfer so....
Goal is National Championship

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1462 on: April 13, 2020, 02:35:40 PM »
Or how you get a ton of attention for your "search" and then not risk proving yourself on a big stage to continue scoring 20 PPG on mediocre opponents.

Turning down the chance to be the man on a potential tournament at a place like Marquette or Iowa St to return to a 150+ NET team that wont sniff a MAC title, much less a tournament berth.  Good luck to you man, on the ugliest college campus Ive had the misfortune of visiting.

They will be lucky to finish 3rd in the MAC East.  Akron is Akron, has the best coach in the conference, and returns the conference POY.  Buffalo returns 3 of their 4 top scorers and has the best younger talent in the conference.

That's what I don't get...Kid has never had a chance to play in the NCAA tournament..and the ONLY way he's doing that at BG is if they win the auto bid..that's a huge gamble. Man, why does crap like this always have to happen to MU?? Why?? It's so frustrating.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1463 on: April 13, 2020, 02:38:36 PM »
Here’s the thing-

I know it’s easier to say this in hindsight and it really sucks to lose out on Turner especially, but it’s not like MU is completely lacking back court players next season.

You read enough of these threads and you start to think that. Sure we are losing nearly 40ppg and we need to somehow fill that gap (which is why Turner woulda been great) but MU already has a very strong wealth of front court options- Bailey, Cain, Garcia, Oso, JLew, Theo. These guys will fill in some of that scoring void.

As for the backcourt, MU still has Symir (top 75 recruit), Koby, Greg, Dexter.
A wealth of unknowns there and the fans, as well as coaching staff, would like to add 1-2 guys but it’s not like the narrative that’s been created here where Marquette needs 3 stud guards still.

One stud PG/SG/Combo guard would suffice, and well as one additional player for depth. Seems like Wojo and Co are reaching out to a lot of different guys and Turner, one of the higher rated guys available, woulda been perfect fill in for one season but oh well.

Carton or Mane alone would be amazing, even though I don’t really have the confidence MU gets either at this point.
Imo DeJulius would be just ok, but good enough. I say that because looking at his game log he had one game where he went off for 20 points (last game of the season) otherwise he’s an under 5ppg player. He’s also small at 6’ and wojo has been trying to get bigger guards. I know he played at Michigan and had a better PG ahead of him I just don’t know that he’s much better than what we already have with Sy.

For me, it’s a matter of added depth.  I’d take Carton over all of the guys that have been mentioned but DeJulius gives them a reliable ball handler and while Sy has flashed great court vision, he’s also turned it over a lot, small sample and all

panda

• All American
« Reply #1464 on: April 13, 2020, 02:39:17 PM »
Wojo unfollowed Turner.....

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1465 on: April 13, 2020, 02:40:12 PM »
That's what I don't get...Kid has never had a chance to play in the NCAA tournament..and the ONLY way he's doing that at BG is if they win the auto bid..that's a huge gamble. Man, why does crap like this always have to happen to MU?? Why?? It's so frustrating.
Didn't happen with Garcia, did it?

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1466 on: April 13, 2020, 02:44:11 PM »
this board will revolt when Jonah Antonio commits

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1467 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:07 PM »
Didn't happen with Garcia, did it?

No, but this one is baffling...I mean it's not like they were up against Kansas and UNC for him...Without an impact Guard(s) next year, they will be lucky to be on the bubble IMO.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1468 on: April 13, 2020, 02:45:28 PM »
this board will revolt when Jonah Antonio commits

Yes, yes it will. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1469 on: April 13, 2020, 02:46:45 PM »
If DeJulius commits, will he be allowed to wear #0?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1470 on: April 13, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
Wouldn’t hold your breath MU gets any impact transfer at this point.

Never was.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1471 on: April 13, 2020, 02:48:21 PM »
If DeJulius commits, will he be allowed to wear #0?
His commitment is on Wednesday we shall see (hope he is not called a cancer)

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1249784859305955328?s=21

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1472 on: April 13, 2020, 02:50:21 PM »
His commitment is on Wednesday we shall see (hope he is not called a cancer)

https://twitter.com/jakeweingarten/status/1249784859305955328?s=21

Please Wojo, get Carton wrapped up before this..Not a huge needle mover, especially for next year.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1473 on: April 13, 2020, 02:50:52 PM »
No, but this one is baffling...I mean it's not like they were up against Kansas and UNC for him...Without an impact Guard(s) next year, they will be lucky to be on the bubble IMO.
Maybe he got cold feet or he knows something we are not sure about. We will see

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1474 on: April 13, 2020, 02:54:49 PM »
Please Wojo, get Carton wrapped up before this..Not a huge needle mover, especially for next year.

DeJulius won't impact Carton
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback