[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Transfer portal  (Read 474799 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Transfer portal
« Reply #1350 on: April 13, 2020, 11:25:49 AM »
Turner and Burton (assuming for a second Burton gets a waiver), would coexist just fine right?  Seem like completely different players to me.  From watching the limited tape of Turner there is - he seems like much more of SG/wing than an option at PG. 

They would coexist just fine. Carton would be the one that would interfere with Burton. If Burton wants to play right away (and I haven't seen anything that would suggest a case for a waiver) then I'm not sure any of his finalists would be thrilled about that. I think all of them are hoping for him to sit out a year and take over in 21-22.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1351 on: April 13, 2020, 11:26:15 AM »
Turner and Burton (assuming for a second Burton gets a waiver), would coexist just fine right?  Seem like completely different players to me.  From watching the limited tape of Turner there is - he seems like much more of SG/wing than an option at PG.

Yes, they would be fine together...Turner can and has played some PG, but is mostly a wing/SG
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: April 13, 2020, 11:30:58 AM »
Yes, they would be fine together...Turner can and has played some PG, but is mostly a wing/SG

Burton & Turner today would be a hell of a day for Wojo

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1353 on: April 13, 2020, 11:32:09 AM »
They would coexist just fine. Carton would be the one that would interfere with Burton. If Burton wants to play right away (and I haven't seen anything that would suggest a case for a waiver) then I'm not sure any of his finalists would be thrilled about that. I think all of them are hoping for him to sit out a year and take over in 21-22.

Given the number of transfers out of Wichita State, I bet there is a case for a waiver
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1354 on: April 13, 2020, 11:32:26 AM »
Id agree but like u said.  I have no issue with Koby if he can earn time at the 2 or 3 next year.

MU will go with more height at the 3 than Kolby offers almost all of the time next year. Wojo’s getting on board with the emphasis on height and especially length on the court. Just look at the freshmen he got and the freshman guard he’s still after (Mane).
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: April 13, 2020, 11:36:42 AM »
MU will go with more height at the 3 than Kolby offers almost all of the time next year. Wojo’s getting on board with the emphasis on height and especially length on the court. Just look at the freshmen he got and the freshman guard he’s still after (Mane).

“If he can earn the time”
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1356 on: April 13, 2020, 11:37:00 AM »

Remember though...it SOUNDS like the transfer rule and not having to sit out will pass in May

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: April 13, 2020, 11:40:11 AM »
My predictions:

Turner to Marquette

Carton/Dejulius: one to Marquette and the other to Iowa State, with Carton being the first domino to fall

Burton: Texas Tech

No inside info, just my hunches.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1358 on: April 13, 2020, 11:40:25 AM »
Given the number of transfers out of Wichita State, I bet there is a case for a waiver

I think its probably a 50/50 shot that the NCAA gives a blanket waiver to all transfers this season considering the circumstances.

For sure.  Based on the lack of info we have (surely have to assume the staff has more) on Carton, definitely take Burton if you can get him and worry about Carton later.

I've talked myself into the chance we can get Turner, Burton and Carton, even though I know its not going to happen.  Carton should be natural waiver candidate - Turner and Carton this year.  Carton (if he doesn't go pro) and Burton taking over the backcourt in 21-22 along with Sy after Turner and Koby graduate.

A guy can dream.  Realistically, we'll have a lot more clarity in a few hours.  If I had to choose between Turner and Burton, give me Turner today and then let's land Carton down the road and we have ourselves something cooking.   
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1359 on: April 13, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
“If he can earn the time”

You miss my point. He ain’t growing several inches over the summer.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: April 13, 2020, 11:46:38 AM »
I think its probably a 50/50 shot that the NCAA gives a blanket waiver to all transfers this season considering the circumstances.

For sure.  Based on the lack of info we have (surely have to assume the staff has more) on Carton, definitely take Burton if you can get him and worry about Carton later.

I've talked myself into the chance we can get Turner, Burton and Carton, even though I know its not going to happen.  Carton should be natural waiver candidate - Turner and Carton this year.  Carton (if he doesn't go pro) and Burton taking over the backcourt in 21-22 along with Sy after Turner and Koby graduate.

A guy can dream.  Realistically, we'll have a lot more clarity in a few hours.  If I had to choose between Turner and Burton, give me Turner today and then let's land Carton down the road and we have ourselves something cooking.   

Burton might be the toughest pull of the 3, but honestly I don't think it's as unrealistic as many think it is. I agree, Turner today, Carton later and let's go! But still going to be greedy and want Burton too.  :D

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: April 13, 2020, 11:50:26 AM »
Burton might be the toughest pull of the 3, but honestly I don't think it's as unrealistic as many think it is. I agree, Turner today, Carton later and let's go! But still going to be greedy and want Burton too.  :D

I think MU is going to end up in good shape after the transfers all make their decisions, but I think we're going to have to wait a few days longer. My guess is Carton and DeJulius.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1362 on: April 13, 2020, 11:51:01 AM »

Wanting is one thing.  But acting like it is some major program let down and coaching failure if Wojo only lands 1 of Turner/Burton/Carton is another.  Just keep that in mind, Guru.   ;)

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1363 on: April 13, 2020, 11:53:55 AM »
Todd Smith just started following turner on Twitter...I repeat, this is NOT a drill, Todd Smith just started following Turner on Twitter.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: April 13, 2020, 11:54:07 AM »
Remember though...it SOUNDS like the transfer rule and not having to sit out will pass in May

Yes, but what is less clear is when it will go into effect. The reporting has been that it would be implemented during the 2020-21 season, but whether that means retroactively for kids who've already entered the portal - as opposed to those who do so once the 2020-21 year begins - remains to be seen.
I'm guessing it won't be applied retroactively across the board, but the NCAA will be very generous with waiver requests.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: April 13, 2020, 11:57:07 AM »
Todd Smith just started following turner on Twitter...I repeat, this is NOT a drill, Todd Smith just started following Turner on Twitter.

He's also following Burton.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1366 on: April 13, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
What time is Burton announcing?

I saw Turner at 2 PM CT.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1367 on: April 13, 2020, 11:59:17 AM »

I mean...all this twitter following could just be as simple as the kid is announcing his decision in 2 hours and the support staff has been giving him a twitter follow the past few days.

Chances are Wojo probably knows where he's going - but maybe Turner truly hasn't told anyone but family to this point.  I don't really read into the twitter follows as anything quite yet.

He's also following Burton.

Exactly.  I am sure part of the recruiting pitch was zoom chats with support staff like Todd, Allison, etc., etc., and a simple twitter follow after those conversations is not really that earthshattering IMO. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 12:01:31 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: April 13, 2020, 12:02:28 PM »

He follows pretty much everyone MU is recruiting. He also follows Holmes and Warley.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: April 13, 2020, 12:07:15 PM »
I mean...all this twitter following could just be as simple as the kid is announcing his decision in 2 hours and the support staff has been giving him a twitter follow the past few days.

Chances are Wojo probably knows where he's going - but maybe Turner truly hasn't told anyone but family to this point.  I don't really read into the twitter follows as anything quite yet.

Exactly.  I am sure part of the recruiting pitch was zoom chats with support staff like Todd, Allison, etc., etc., and a simple twitter follow after those conversations is not really that earthshattering IMO.

Here's the thing though...It's one thing for Coaches to follow players, but when support staff does, it's totally different. For real, when I saw Allison Kellaher following Dawson Garcia, that pretty much told me that he was coming to MU. Support staff does not typically follow recruits without their being a very good reason.

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #1370 on: April 13, 2020, 12:13:02 PM »
Where is Real Chili?  Locked in the bunker already?  ;D

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1371 on: April 13, 2020, 12:16:15 PM »
Here's the thing though...It's one thing for Coaches to follow players, but when support staff does, it's totally different. For real, when I saw Allison Kellaher following Dawson Garcia, that pretty much told me that he was coming to MU. Support staff does not typically follow recruits without their being a very good reason.

Yah...gonna disagree with you there.  Support staff follows guys that are being recruited.  Again - I appreciate the info, as do others.  But I don't think it means a whole lot.

We'll find out more in a couple hours.  Fingers crossed on Turner.

What time is Burton announcing?

I saw Turner at 2 PM CT.

I don't think he's said a time.   

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #1372 on: April 13, 2020, 12:20:26 PM »

Looks like there's a decision coming but the guy leading it has no idea if it will pass or not.

https://watchstadium.com/no-decision-made-yet-on-ncaas-one-time-transfer-waiver-04-08-2020/

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1373 on: April 13, 2020, 12:20:35 PM »
I don’t follow any of these guys on twitter or Instagram fyi
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: April 13, 2020, 12:27:53 PM »
I don’t follow any of these guys on twitter or Instagram fyi